Injury Report: Vol. 2 (Updates in 1st Post) | Daley LBI, Will Be Evaluated in Pittsburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
Yeah Bonino and Hagelin really need to pick it up. Hagelin is producing like he did last season with the Ducks. Which isn't a lot.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
Why the hell is Hornqvist a game-time decision? He either is symptom free or not. If either he or the medical expert is not sure, he shouldn't play.

edit: read MS explanation a bit differently :)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Why is it when Sid, Geno, or Letang are "week to week", they actually miss multiple weeks, but when Kunitz is "week to week" he misses maybe 2 or 3 games?

It's like the Craig Adams Iron Man thing all over again. The crappy players we don't want in the lineup rarely get hurt, and when they do they return quickly, whereas the core guys get hurt often and take forever to get back when they do.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Why is it when Sid, Geno, or Letang are "week to week", they actually miss multiple weeks, but when Kunitz is "week to week" he misses maybe 2 or 3 games?

It's like the Craig Adams Iron Man thing all over again. The crappy players we don't want in the lineup rarely get hurt, and when they do they return quickly, whereas the core guys get hurt often and take forever to get back when they do.

It's hard to get a serious injury when you are just coasting back and forth blueline to blueline...

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Because they're so bad that nobody can tell whether they're playing injured or not.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Amazing how quickly he heals when his replacement scores more goals than him in only four games...

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
I wish Kunitz all the best from the standpoint that he is a human being and was fantastic here for a number of years. With that said, I hope this injury keeps him out til at least Christmas.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Yesterday Kunitz said something to the effect of "I can't keep going out there at 50%", which, excuse aside, is another big reason the staff needs to be giving him every third or fourth night off this season, or play him on the 4th line @ 9-10m a night, or both. He could theoretically be a marginally useful player this year in that role, or a more marginally useful one at least. Playing him 16 a night is insane.

And per Gajtka, Guentz had most of the work with Geno and Rust yesterday, not Kunitz.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I wish Kunitz all the best from the standpoint that he is a human being and was fantastic here for a number of years. With that said, I hope this injury keeps him out til at least Christmas.

I've said before and I'll say again: I hope Kunitz has a bizarrely specific injury that only prevents him from playing hockey in the NHL, but doesn't impact his life in any other way. Furthermore, I hope said injury is permanent.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Instead of wishing injury on Kunitz, I'm wishing for wisdom from Sullivan to play him in a more proper bottom six role.

I know it's not likely, as the Kunitz situation is the weirdest, most mystifying thing I've ever witnessed from the Pens org, but they did see the light with Scuds so....

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
The only thing I liked about Johnson was that he wasn't afraid to put Kunitz in a 3rd line role. It wasn't for that many games, and he was terminated shortly thereafter, but he did do it.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
The only problem with wanting Kunitz on L3 right now is that as long as Kessel is on it, it isnt a true third line and hed still be getting too much time, although with their O-zone starts it might not be terrible. The only place that will actually limit his minutes is the fourth line, but taking off Kuhn or Rust or even Fehr limits the tenacity of that line.

Not that this is a shock to me, but the more I typed that the more obvious it is that Kunitz just doesnt have a spot here.

Return of the Paek

Jun 19, 2016
The only thing I liked about Johnson was that he wasn't afraid to put Kunitz in a 3rd line role. It wasn't for that many games, and he was terminated shortly thereafter, but he did do it.

Nobody puts baby in the corner...

I hate how everyone bashes Kunitz, the guy is the heart and soul of this team. Without him, who on the pens would: go wildly slashing into the corner after the puck (but never touch it), kick the puck into the net at will, pass on shooting at wide-open nets and play through multiple concussions? I'd like to think we all have a little Kunitz in us.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Nobody puts baby in the corner...

I hate how everyone bashes Kunitz, the guy is the heart and soul of this team. Without him, who on the pens would: go wildly slashing into the corner after the puck (but never touch it), kick the puck into the net at will, pass on shooting at wide-open nets and play through multiple concussions? I'd like to think we all have a little Kunitz in us.

This is gold dude lol

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Instead of wishing injury on Kunitz, I'm wishing for wisdom from Sullivan to play him in a more proper bottom six role.

I know it's not likely, as the Kunitz situation is the weirdest, most mystifying thing I've ever witnessed from the Pens org, but they did see the light with Scuds so....

This organization only seems to see the light when the player is so bad -- and we're talking AHL or ECHL level bad -- that they can't ignore it any longer. Scuderi was basically an ECHL defender trying to keep pace with NHL players.

The problem with Kunitz is he's still an NHLer. He's not a top six NHLer anymore, but he's still capable of playing at this level. So for the club to see him as expendable like they finally came around on Scuderi, Kunitz would essentially have to play at Craig Adams level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad