Confirmed with Link: Vokoun out 3-6 months, per GM Ray Shero

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Oh man, i keep day dreaming Lundqvist is our 2014/15 goaltender. It's a nice day dream to think about! Sadly, it's got a 1% chance of happening.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
No idea. Just going by what Shero and Vokoun said in the presser today. Consider also the VERY likely possibility that this situation was poorly reported by the Trib (as it developed) and he didn't actually have a clot that went from his leg to his heart. IOW, throw every single medical detail that the Trib gave us out the window and just go by what you've heard Shero and Vokoun say... and perhaps it's not as bad as we were lead to believe?

He had a clot in his pelvis.
That couldve originally startedbin his calf and broke apart then lodged in his pelvis. Nobody knows.
He couldve had a clotbin his leg too. I think they opt to have thinners dissolve any clot at knee level and below.

He already had surgery tobremove the pelvis clot.

Ususlly if they are at the knee and below they just have meds dissolve the clot.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
bryzgalov is a better goalie than fleury, i hate to break it to you.

To break it down by numbers...

Bryz w/ Anaheim: 69 GP 26-20-8, 2.48 GAA, .909 sv%
Bryz w/ Phoenix: 257 GP 130-93-27, 2.54 GAA, .917 sv%
Bryz w/ Philadelphia: 99 GP 52-33-10, 2.60 GAA, .905 sv%

So outside of putting up above average numbers behind a very good defensive team in Phoenix, Bryzgalov has actually been more mediocre than Fleury statistically.

Even his career playoff numbers (2.81 GAA, .908 sv%) are nearly identical to Fleury's - and Bryz himself had failed to hit even a .890 sv% in either of his last two playoff runs.

There's this romanticized idea that Bryz is some incredible goalie because of a good 11 game playoff run with Anaheim in 2005-06 and some solid play behind a defensively stout Coyotes team, but the fact of the matter is that he's just a Russian version of Fleury and wouldn't fare any better for the Pens than Fleury does.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
And really, Bryz is only a lateral move from Fleury. There's a reason he's still on the market.

Actually, TSN mentioned during the Leafs game that Bryz is about to sign with Las Vegas in the ECHL. No joke.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 3h
Working on confirming or debunking, but, word in Philly is Bryzgalov is about to sign an East Coast Hockey League contract in Las Vegas.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Judging from the look of Fasth tonight, it's hard to believe Hiller will hit the market at any time this season. One hit wonder written all over him.

Last edited:

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
This is my stance as well. I am going to miss Vokoun's interviews. He seems like an awesome dude.
I agree. Shero isn't perfect but one thing he has done over the years is bring in some really great character guys.

Vokoun, Iginla, Guerin, Roberts ...

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I agree. Shero isn't perfect but one thing he has done over the years is bring in some really great character guys.

Vokoun, Guerin, Roberts ...

fixed the list. sorry imo Iginla's total lack of compete level totally soured me on him. Those other guys are all warriors, Iginla is a SOFF floater these days.

(but everyone in the world did think Shero was a genius when he brought jarome in, including me)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad