Confirmed with Link: Vokoun out 3-6 months, per GM Ray Shero

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Can't. With this team, playoffs for Penguins are almost a given. Worrying about the first round is the next natural transition.

Talk to us if we are realistically struggling to make the playoffs and I'll apologise for this premature prediction but I don't think we're far off by saying we're playoff bound.

So you can't enjoy the 82 games of the regular season because you are worried about the middle of April?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Why will we be fine in the regular season, exactly? Because of Fleury's regular season numbers? Excuse me if I don't feel all warm and fuzzy about his regular-season performance. I know, I know, 40 Wins! 40 Wins!

He has no competition, that is NOT a good thing. He's always been better when there was someone pushing him: Conklin, Johnson, Vokoun.

Plus, we always assume he will bounce back from his latest meltdown to post his usual 40 wins, but what if this time he implodes? That's just as likely as us not missing Vokoun in the regular season.

Other than Crosby and Malkin, Vokoun was the player we could afford to lose the least this season. And we just did.

Yep, our back-up goalie is our 3rd most important player. Got it.

TheStinger

Non Omnis Moriar
Mar 30, 2009
Barcelona, Catalunya
www.facebook.com
I was actually waiting for this announcement. These blood clots and DVT's are serious stuff and doctor's always go with the softly softly approach. We had a soccer player for my hometown team Adelaide United that came back from an away match in Sydney with a DVT in his leg and he was out for 9 months. He almost lost his leg.

This is the time to forget about hockey and just hope Tommy gets back to full health and then he can decide what he wants to do. Good luck mate.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

That's a bit over the top. But I don't exactly have alot of confidence in Fleury/Zatkoff. Even with the highest scoring group in the regular season the past two seasons.

There aren't alot of options in free agency. And there's no guarantee Vokoun can come back and play at a high level, if at all.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The regular season is about as meaningful as the ASG. Who cares? Let the old guy rest and get healthy until the trade deadline, get a nice return, maybe even a first, for Niskanen when the value is at its highest, then bring Vokoun back. Why are people panicking? We have our playoff goalie tandum, unless something changes. No need to make a stupid panic trade.

Win-Win for everyone.

Vokoun has likely played his last game in the NHL. We can't be banking on a 37-year-old with blood clot issues to be ready to lead us to a Stanley Cup in June. It's simply unrealistic (at best).

Meh, we'll be fine. Think about it like this. Shero definitely does not trust Fleury. He didn't trust him enough to roll into the playoffs last year without getting someone the pedigree of Vokoun to backstop him.

I have no doubt that Shero is just biding his time because of the salary cap and knowing that Fleury does well in the regular season there's no need to rush unless Fleury gets a major injury. Come playoff time if Vokoun isn't ready you'll see the likes of Halak or Hiller on the Pens.

Why would the Blues trade Halak at the deadline? They're contenders. The price would be pretty high, as the only thing they are missing is a game-breaking scorer. We have three of them. I wouldn't like that option at all. Hiller I suppose might be moved, but a LOT of things have to fall in place: Fasth needs to continue where he left off in a half-season, Gibson and Andersen need to progress quickly down on the farm, and the Ducks have to be out of the playoff picture. Again, highly unlikely.

Look, I want Fleury gone, but he is an average regular season goalie. Could he implode? Sure, but until then I'm not going to freak out. Maybe Zatkoff comes in and plays really well. Maybe Vokoun is back for the playoffs. There are too many variables for me to waste my time worrying.

We'll be fine in the regular season regardless of who our goaltender is. Bylsma's system is perfect for the regular season ala 2009 Caps. Come playoff time when we're still playing offensive dynamo hockey and everyone else is playing defense, that's where you need a solid goaltender or a committment to defense.

When your goalie is as limited (to regular-season success) as ours is, then why not start planning his exodus/successor immediately? It may take 3 months just to lay the groundwork for a trade. But I'd definitely start kicking the tires immediately.

Were you busy grooming your 'stache during the Islanders series? How can anybody not named Shero or Bylsma call Vokoun our 'back-up goalie' after what transpired in the playoffs?

This is a significant blow to the limited Cup aspirations we had.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
When your goalie is as limited (to regular-season success) as ours is, then why not start planning his exodus/successor immediately? It may take 3 months just to lay the groundwork for a trade. But I'd definitely start kicking the tires immediately.

I agree and I'm sure Shero is laying the groundwork now. They are going to give Zatkoff a shot, but that doesn't mean he isn't working the phones or lining things up behind the scenes.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Vokoun has likely played his last game in the NHL. We can't be banking on a 37-year-old with blood clot issues to be ready to lead us to a Stanley Cup in June. It's simply unrealistic (at best).

Why would the Blues trade Halak at the deadline? They're contenders. The price would be pretty high, as the only thing they are missing is a game-breaking scorer. We have three of them. I wouldn't like that option at all. Hiller I suppose might be moved, but a LOT of things have to fall in place: Fasth needs to continue where he left off in a half-season, Gibson and Andersen need to progress quickly down on the farm, and the Ducks have to be out of the playoff picture. Again, highly unlikely.

Were you busy grooming your 'stache during the Islanders series? How can anybody not named Shero or Bylsma call Vokoun our 'back-up goalie' after what transpired in the playoffs?

This is a significant blow to the limited Cup aspirations we had.

If a team is relying on their backup come playoff time then they have no cup aspirations to begin with. The Penguins lucked out by playing an inexperienced and fragile Islanders team in the first round, most other teams would've easily exploited Fleury and handled the series before Vokoun ever got a start.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If a team is relying on their backup come playoff time then they have no cup aspirations to begin with. The Penguins lucked out by playing an inexperienced and fragile Islanders team in the first round, most other teams would've easily exploited Fleury and handled the series before Vokoun ever got a start.

Ah. So we agree then. I guess you believe we have even bigger issues than who is minding the net then?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Ah. So we agree then. I guess you believe we have even bigger issues than who is minding the net then?

No, Fleury is a joke and the biggest problem this team has. His regular seasons are worse than statistics indicate. But the team is going to start him in the playoffs whether Vokoun is back or not. And it's not going to be until another meltdown that they replace him, which will be, unlike the Isles series, too late anyway.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Let's get back on topic. This is not about Fleury.

Just watched the Vokoun interview video and it turns out the first blood clot he had (Nashville) was not related to a genetic blood condition. It was related to some sort of serious childhood injury (some type of burn as I understood him), where the combination of the tissue damage and whatever the Czech doctors did, caused a situation that later resulted in a blood clot. They found that one by accident, not from clot symptoms (like this time).

SO it appears he is only on "Strike 1" as far as the genetic clotting incidents, and therefore is on the usual 3-6 month blood thinner routine. I would assume if he has another after this, it is related and he will be done at that point. But for now... looks like we may get our stud back-up back in a few months (best case early January, worst early April), and he'll be rested so who knows... might have a beneficial long-term effect of extending his career a bit.

Hopefully he feels good later this season and he doesn't have another run-in in the future. And Shero said he WILL be able to work out, do non-contact exercise (tennis, etc) so he should be able to maintain his conditioning without a problem.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010

Because he's their backup and they supposedly tried to unload him last year until he got hurt.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
This is not the Czech / Slovak goalie you are looking for...

i

...he plays for the Blues (a Cup contender) and is not going to be traded most likely.

Although I did mention him and Martin a week or so ago as being a good combo for this team (in theory), so I feel yer pain WRT to current goalie situations. Let's try to stay on topic though.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
No idea. Just going by what Shero and Vokoun said in the presser today. Consider also the VERY likely possibility that this situation was poorly reported by the Trib (as it developed) and he didn't actually have a clot that went from his leg to his heart. IOW, throw every single medical detail that the Trib gave us out the window and just go by what you've heard Shero and Vokoun say... and perhaps it's not as bad as we were lead to believe?

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
Ugh, if the absolute minimum is 3 months, Pens are going to have to acquire a goalie because they simply can't count on their 5 million dollar man to not kick pucks into his net come playoff time and it's not fair to expect Vokoun to come back in March or something, if he is able to come back at all, and be ready to play at a high level after missing so much of the season. Think the team needs to move forward in the manner of him being not available and not bank on him being able to come back some time in the spring.

What does it say about this team's goalie situation that an injury to the supposed back-up is one of the more crippling injuries for the the team? This just shows how bad of an idea it was by Shero to keep MAF after his umpteenth playoff disaster.

Last edited:

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I really think some are being a little melodramatic about the implications this has on the team. We'll be fine in the regular season. Zatkoff is going to get a chance. If Hartzell has a strong start with WBS then maybe we'll get to see him for a few games as well.

I would love to acquire Hiller come playoff time (assuming Vokoun can't play), but let's just wait and see.

I hope Vokoun has a speedy recovery, and I know his presence in the locker room will certainly be missed.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I really think some are being a little melodramatic about the implications this has on the team. We'll be fine in the regular season. Zatkoff is going to get a chance. If Hartzell has a strong start with WBS then maybe we'll get to see him for a few games as well.

I would love to acquire Hiller come playoff time (assuming Vokoun can't play), but let's just wait and see.

I hope Vokoun has a speedy recovery, and I know his presence in the locker room will certainly be missed.

This is my stance as well. I am going to miss Vokoun's interviews. He seems like an awesome dude.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I agree and I'm sure Shero is laying the groundwork now. They are going to give Zatkoff a shot, but that doesn't mean he isn't working the phones or lining things up behind the scenes.

I don't think that he's got a choice. No matter what happens in the regular season, you're talking about a duo consisting of a mentally unstable 'franchise' goalie with a history of breakdowns in the NHL playoffs backed up by a perhaps stable goalie with a history of breakdowns in the AHL playoffs who quote 'hasn't had his chance at the NHL level'.

Problem is that I'm not sure WHAT Shero can do. Of the FA's out there, Bryz is the only option really, and that's like backing up your hard eight bet at the craps table with a hard six bet.

But, there's no real trade option (this is the best stuff that I could conceive, and I don't see any of it really) . . .

Someone mentioned Miller. Only way you do that is later in the season with Fleury and Despres, and I'm not sure why Buffalo would want another year of Fleury's contract.

Halak? Sounds good, as others have noted, I'm not sure STL will bank its cup chances on Jake Allen as a backup this year.

You could try taking a run at Harding, and I'm sure the young defensemen will entice, but why would Minnesota trade it's backup unless somehow they implode?

Maybe Tim Thomas if Florida is out of it? Marty if NJ is out of it (I can't see him wanting to go, I'm sure Lou would move him if they're out of it to give him one last hurrah, but the whole thing is just so inconceivable).

Let's be honest: This 'we love the guys we've got now' thing is what Shero always says. But, the fact is, he's pretty much stuck between Bryz and hoping Florida is out of it to try to grab Tim Thomas. I don't see how anything better materializes.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I don't think that he's got a choice. No matter what happens in the regular season, you're talking about a duo consisting of a mentally unstable 'franchise' goalie with a history of breakdowns in the NHL playoffs backed up by a perhaps stable goalie with a history of breakdowns in the AHL playoffs who quote 'hasn't had his chance at the NHL level'.

Problem is that I'm not sure WHAT Shero can do. Of the FA's out there, Bryz is the only option really, and that's like backing up your hard eight bet at the craps table with a hard six bet.

But, there's no real trade option (this is the best stuff that I could conceive, and I don't see any of it really) . . .

Someone mentioned Miller. Only way you do that is later in the season with Fleury and Despres, and I'm not sure why Buffalo would want another year of Fleury's contract.

Halak? Sounds good, as others have noted, I'm not sure STL will bank its cup chances on Jake Allen as a backup this year.

You could try taking a run at Harding, and I'm sure the young defensemen will entice, but why would Minnesota trade it's backup unless somehow they implode?

Maybe Tim Thomas if Florida is out of it? Marty if NJ is out of it (I can't see him wanting to go, I'm sure Lou would move him if they're out of it to give him one last hurrah, but the whole thing is just so inconceivable).

Let's be honest: This 'we love the guys we've got now' thing is what Shero always says. But, the fact is, he's pretty much stuck between Bryz and hoping Florida is out of it to try to grab Tim Thomas. I don't see how anything better materializes.

And really, Bryz is only a lateral move from Fleury. There's a reason he's still on the market.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I never believe anything from the front office.

I believe less from the sports' writers and radio broadcasters.

I do believe in reading between the lines though.

And the fact that they have NOT brought anyone in seems to say that they think that Vokoun will be back for the playoffs.

Hell Yeah!!!

Mar 11, 2007
ATL
I never believe anything from the front office.

I believe less from the sports' writers and radio broadcasters.

I do believe in reading between the lines though.

And the fact that they have NOT brought anyone in seems to say that they think that Vokoun will be back for the playoffs.
Or they feel confident in Fleury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad