Confirmed with Link: Vokoun out 3-6 months, per GM Ray Shero

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
If TV ends up being out for the year i'd be surprised if Shero didn't acquire another goalie, cant imagine Pens going into the playoffs with MAF and Zatkoff.
I agree. They need a veteran backup for when Fleury falls apart in the postseason. Although I suppose it depends how Zatkoff plays. It might be hard for them to want to pull the trigger on a trade if Zatkoff plays amazing.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Well, this kind of sucks.

Obviously, hope the best for TV and understand that health is more important than hockey.

Aside from that, this creates another weakness in this team. TV is the only reason we made it to the ECF last year. I don't know much about Zatkoff, but can't say I'm relieved by him being our backup to, you know, the "clutch" MAF.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic
Shero wants to go with Zatkoff. Says he's heard from every UFA out there. Would rather see what Zatkoff had first

^ Worth noting.

Well, "every UFA out there" sounds like a big, long list, but really it isn't:

Marco Cousineau
Patrick Killeen
Allen York
John Muse
Leland Irving
Alec Richards
Tyler Beskorowany
Daniel Larsson
Jordan Pearce
Brian Foster
Dov Grumet-Morris
Dennis Endras
Jeff Frazee
Johan Hedberg
Rick DiPietro
Chet Pickard
Ilya Bryzgalov
Thomas Heemskerk
Paul Karpowich
Mathieu Garon
Pat Nagle
Mark Owuya
Chris Carrozzi

That's the UFA goalie list, currently. I left out Theodore, who I assume will report to Omsk to play for Avangard Omsk in the KHL.

So really, he spoke to the agents for Bryzgalov, Hedberg and Garon. I don't see anyone else who is better than Zatkoff, short or long term.

This is a disaster. We'll probably have to trade a valuable asset + Fleury to resolve this goaltending conundrum we're in. Hopefully, it doesn't cost us a great asset.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
If he does it's going to be around the deadline. That's pretty much the feeling I get with Shero's comment ( we will give Zatkoff ) a shot

Fleury is going to play and start 95% of the games

Yeah, they should be ok during the regular season, but with MAF playoff history you have to get a backup goalie for the playoffs that you think gives you a chance to win the cup, i highly doubt Zatkoff is that guy.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If Zatkoff doesn't look like an NHL goalie early on, then I hope Shero doesn't wait too long to acquire someone. If this organization is serious about getting Fleury back to being our #1, he can't play a vast majority of the games this season. He has enough issues mentally.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If Zatkoff doesn't look like an NHL goalie early on, then I hope Shero doesn't wait too long to acquire someone. If this organization is serious about getting Fleury back to being our #1, he can't play a vast majority of the games this season. He has enough issues mentally.

Without a great handcuff like Vokoun, then we can't go with Fleury at all. Call Glen Sather, see what kind of + we would have to add in a goalie swap.

Pouliot + Fleury for Lundqvist.

Isn't this why we draft defensemen by the bushels in Round 1?

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

:laugh:

Not even Sather would go for that.

Here are two issues that will prevent Shero from trading Fleury and/or bringing in another goalie via trade:
  1. Fleury's got negative value on the trade market, meaning his stock's gone so low that he's actually more valuable to the Penguins than he is in a trade.
  2. If Shero starts inquiring about trading for goalies, other GMs are instantly going to understand the situation. This means the only way Shero could get a goalie by trade is through MASSIVE overpayment.

When all is said and done, you can be 99.9% certain that Fleury is going to end up starting game 1 of the playoffs.

skullman80

Nov 18, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
Without a great handcuff like Vokoun, then we can't go with Fleury at all. Call Glen Sather, see what kind of + we would have to add in a goalie swap.

Sather would laugh us off the phone if that was offered up.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

:laugh: Throw in Bennett and Harrington then maybe.

Hope TV recovers on schedule.

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
I would be surprised if Shero does not get another goalie during the year, but looking at the goalies that are available, I would stand pat as well to be honest.

Of course it will cost us an asset, you won´t get a good goalie for a bag of pucks. Despres will be a candidate, for sure.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
We will be fine in the regular season. It's too early to worry about the playoffs. Calm down folks.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
We will be fine in the regular season. It's too early to worry about the playoffs. Calm down folks.

Why will we be fine in the regular season, exactly? Because of Fleury's regular season numbers? Excuse me if I don't feel all warm and fuzzy about his regular-season performance. I know, I know, 40 Wins! 40 Wins!

He has no competition, that is NOT a good thing. He's always been better when there was someone pushing him: Conklin, Johnson, Vokoun.

Plus, we always assume he will bounce back from his latest meltdown to post his usual 40 wins, but what if this time he implodes? That's just as likely as us not missing Vokoun in the regular season.

Other than Crosby and Malkin, Vokoun was the player we could afford to lose the least this season. And we just did.

OKCPensFan

Apr 3, 2013
I wonder what we would have to give up to get Miller. They are a team looking to rebuild and they know Miller is not resigning anyways. Other than that I have no idea who else would be an option. Lundquist is a pipe dream unless he goes to FA so forget that.

Maybe we will get lucky and Zakoff will take full advantage of his first chance to be a NHL goalie... but until I see a few regular season games from him I am not counting on that.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Why will we be fine in the regular season, exactly? Because of Fleury's regular season numbers? Excuse me if I don't feel all warm and fuzzy about his regular-season performance. I know, I know, 40 Wins! 40 Wins!

He has no competition, that is NOT a good thing. He's always been better when there was someone pushing him: Conklin, Johnson, Vokoun.

Plus, we always assume he will bounce back from his latest meltdown to post his usual 40 wins, but what if this time he implodes? That's just as likely as us not missing Vokoun in the regular season.

Other than Crosby and Malkin, Vokoun was the player we could afford to lose the least this season. And we just did.

The regular season is about as meaningful as the ASG. Who cares? Let the old guy rest and get healthy until the trade deadline, get a nice return, maybe even a first, for Niskanen when the value is at its highest, then bring Vokoun back. Why are people panicking? We have our playoff goalie tandum, unless something changes. No need to make a stupid panic trade.

Win-Win for everyone.

daigohgoh

Apr 27, 2013

Can't. With this team, playoffs for Penguins are almost a given. Worrying about the first round is the next natural transition.

Talk to us if we are realistically struggling to make the playoffs and I'll apologise for this premature prediction but I don't think we're far off by saying we're playoff bound.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

Why would there be any reason to expect Fleury to implode in this regular season? He didn't last year after a historically bad series against Philadelphia, nor has he any other season after poor playoff performances.

Having a competitive backup in Vokoun last year didn't exactly cause Fleury to excel, he just maintained his status quo of many wins, above average GAA, and below average sv%. In reality, other than the few months with Conklin backing him up (and mentoring him), the quality of backup seems to have very little effect on Fleury's play.

The panic about Fleury in the playoffs is completely just given his history, but that same history also dictates that there's no reason for premature panic in the regular season.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Meh, we'll be fine. Think about it like this. Shero definitely does not trust Fleury. He didn't trust him enough to roll into the playoffs last year without getting someone the pedigree of Vokoun to backstop him.

I have no doubt that Shero is just biding his time because of the salary cap and knowing that Fleury does well in the regular season there's no need to rush unless Fleury gets a major injury. Come playoff time if Vokoun isn't ready you'll see the likes of Halak or Hiller on the Pens.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Look, I want Fleury gone, but he is an average regular season goalie. Could he implode? Sure, but until then I'm not going to freak out. Maybe Zatkoff comes in and plays really well. Maybe Vokoun is back for the playoffs. There are too many variables for me to waste my time worrying.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010

We'll be fine in the regular season regardless of who our goaltender is. Bylsma's system is perfect for the regular season ala 2009 Caps. Come playoff time when we're still playing offensive dynamo hockey and everyone else is playing defense, that's where you need a solid goaltender or a committment to defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad