The Athletic Vogl - Who Stays, Who Goes

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Zach Bogosian was a 43% xGF player away from Rasmus Dahlin this season. The only difference between him and Scandella is handedness and the fact that Scandella at least used to be good.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Pominville does have the ability to survive, but we need guys with the ability to drive possession hockey away from Jack, to be the generators AND finishers of chances, and Pominville is the "makes the right decision and flips the puck in when he's closed in on in the NZ, where other players in that spot may not have been as smart but also wouldn't have been there in the first place because they have a much better ability to make/use space effectively because their legs haven't deteriorated yet" guy
I mean, when I watch Jason Pominville play hockey I want to rip my hair out but his results are like, pretty good? Even away from Eichel. Idk how he does it.

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
Housley’s use of him was ridiculous and a smarter coach would get more out of him.

This is Housley's reign in a nutshell. His player usage up and down the lineup was atrocious.

This fact gives me great hope and optimism: Virtually any coach who replaces him should get better usage and results out of the existing players, and with a few roster tweaks the Sabres could be at least a playoff bubble team next year (as they appeared to be for almost half of this season).

Last edited:
Reactions: Irving Zisman

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I'll never understand: if Pominville was productive with Jack, why separate them? Don't mistake this as suggesting the 2018 Buffalo Sabres should have built around 96 year old Jason Pominville, at least play the cards you're dealt. :dunno:

Reactions: sabremike

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'll never understand: if Pominville was productive with Jack, why separate them? Don't mistake this as suggesting the 2018 Buffalo Sabres should have built around 96 year old Jason Pominville, at least play the cards you're dealt. :dunno:

JPom's production dried up playing with Jack -- he started slumping, just like he did early in the previous year -- and then we saw Phil cement Reinhart to that wing for much of the rest of the year.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I don’t know why you only quoted part of my post and ignored the part where I said my preference was to get rid of him. But he was used in a role he never played before, got buried in it and the coach kept trotting him out there to get clobbered.

Because I only wanted to know why you thought he could be salvaged... was this supposed to be an answer?

I know the circumstances of his suckage... why do you think he can be salvaged?

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013

Because he might not be moveable. If another coach can get something out of him, great. If not, AHL him and give a young guy a chance. I'm not for or against him, just saying he's an asset controlled by the team and if he can contribute you might as well get what you can out of him. In Housley's case the answer was he didn't get much out him but I think Housley was good at not getting the most out of anyone except his top stars.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I don’t know why you only quoted part of my post and ignored the part where I said my preference was to get rid of him. But he was used in a role he never played before, got buried in it and the coach kept trotting him out there to get clobbered.
He didn't magically become terrible on the Sabres. We got the player the Blues had last season.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
Pominville does have the ability to survive, but we need guys with the ability to drive possession hockey away from Jack, to be the generators AND finishers of chances, and Pominville is the "makes the right decision and flips the puck in when he's closed in on in the NZ, where other players in that spot may not have been as smart but also wouldn't have been there in the first place because they have a much better ability to make/use space effectively because their legs haven't deteriorated yet" guy

I love Pommer but it's time for a front office job or position at the Academy of Hockey for him. Let him wave to the fans at alumni events.

Reactions: GellMann

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Problem with the Sabres is not that they have Okposo or a Bogo, it’s that they double downed and then tripled downed on those skill levels and roles.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Because he might not be moveable. If another coach can get something out of him, great. If not, AHL him and give a young guy a chance. I'm not for or against him, just saying he's an asset controlled by the team and if he can contribute you might as well get what you can out of him. In Housley's case the answer was he didn't get much out him but I think Housley was good at not getting the most out of anyone except his top stars.

Terrible player, not being used terribly, is still terrible

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
He didn't magically become terrible on the Sabres. We got the player the Blues had last season.

The stats say otherwise. In six years with St. Louis he was a .4 ppg player with a +12 +/- rating. Not bad, and much, much better than less than .2 ppg, -20 +/- with the Sabres. Housley killed his play.

He wasn't great his last year with the Blues but he scored at over twice the rate he did in Buffalo.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
What’s wrong with one more year of Bogosian in a bottom pair role?

If we’re asking him to fill a Top 4 role again than yes, I agree with you.

Because he’s Eichels best friend and he’s more than happy to just be in the locker room. No compete

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The stats say otherwise. In six years with St. Louis he was a .4 ppg player with a +12 +/- rating. Not bad, and much, much better than less than .2 ppg, -20 +/- with the Sabres. Housley killed his play.

Digging into his shot metrics, he is exactly the same bad player they got from the Blues.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Yeah I'm sorry but I don't really care what kind of player he was 6 years ago. He's been atrocious since he came back from Russia. That's a fact.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I don't see Montour and Bogo playing the same role at all. Montour doesn't bring a heavy game at all.
You're missing the forest for the trees. The only difference that matters is that Montour is good at hockey and Bogosian is not.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
24442460a5.png

I rest my case.

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
Yeah I'm sorry but I don't really care what kind of player he was 6 years ago. He's been atrocious since he came back from Russia. That's a fact.

No, the fact his he maintained his .4 ppg after he returned while he was with St. Louis, but his production dropped by half with the Sabres.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad