Confirmed with Link: Vladimir Sobotka traded to Blues for David Warsofsky (mod)

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Why do you say the Blues would never be able to sign him?

Are you talking about when he was surprised the Blues drafted him after not being one of the handful of teams that had talked to him extensively pre-draft? Or is it something else?

Just an ex post facto hunch. In other words, smack talk.

He is the guy who was upset that Boston didn't draft him, which made me think that he would be a pain in the ass.

Last edited:

Parrish

Apr 2, 2004
Decatur; Indiana
I like how the Blues are getting alot of these cheaper forwards like Sobotka and d'agostini to fil the bottom six. I think it will free some cap space for a better ufa player. We will obviously be signing atleast one mid-high end UFA.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I like how the Blues are getting alot of these cheaper forwards like Sobotka and d'agostini to fil the bottom six. I think it will free some cap space for a better ufa player. We will obviously be signing atleast one mid-high end UFA.
I wouldn't say "obviously". Here's how I see it:

Get a good group of inexpensive by moderately experienced guys with a bit of upside to fight it out for spots on the 4th line vs Peoria (with a rookie or two mixed in that group also fighting for a spot). The competition will elevate the level of team play, and will help the Rivermen ice a better squad, too.

While my heart still wants to see the Blues bring in a splashy offensive whiz, I think its more likely to see a trade at the deadline for a player like that. The Blues will start the season well below the cap.

I think Brewer and Jackman would be trade material. One prior to the season (Brewer if possible) and one later on when some of our young D have a bit more experience under their belts. I'd love to trade Brewer (but more likely Jackman) and be able to sign a guy like Martin (or another experienced puck-mover).

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
The addition on Sobotka gives the Blues two checking line centers, so maybe they're going with two scoring lines and two checking lines, not three and one.

According to Bruins fans above, Sobotka plays virtually no defence, or "doesn't play defence well". So, why would The Blues put him on a checking line?

The Blues' 3rd line is the checking line. So, when people say Sobotka would make an ideal 4th line centre, they're describing the shortest minute line and the 3rd scoring line.

Hensick also plays almost no defence, and avoids contact. D'Agostini plays sub par defence. So, IF all 3 of them make The Blues' NHL roster (meaning they don't obtain another scorer), the 3 of them would be better used on the lowest minute line-but it would be the 3rd scoring line, rather than a 2nd checking line. It wouldn't even be an "energy line".

darthvader

Jul 24, 2009
According to Bruins fans above, Sobotka plays virtually no defence, or "doesn't play defence well". So, why would The Blues put him on a checking line?

The Blues' 3rd line is the checking line. So, when people say Sobotka would make an ideal 4th line centre, they're describing the shortest minute line and the 3rd scoring line.

Hensick also plays almost no defence, and avoids contact. D'Agostini plays sub par defence. So, IF all 3 of them make The Blues' NHL roster (meaning they don't obtain another scorer), the 3 of them would be better used on the lowest minute line-but it would be the 3rd scoring line, rather than a 2nd checking line. It wouldn't even be an "energy line".

You're right, I guess I misread those posts about him being a checking line guy. A line of Hensick, D'Agostini and Sobotka would have a lot of defensive shortcomings but maybe some decent offensive skills.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I wouldn't call him an agitator, because he doesnt talk that much, but he uses his body incredibly well and will throw some unbelievable hits (see Myers and Staal above).

You definitely got the better value here, but we simply had no room for him. I hope he plays extremely well for u guys hes a good kid and plays hard every shift.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
The McClement is broken up virtually every game. That is done to allow proper ice time (as determined by the coach). Jay gets "full" "checking line" time (10-12 min.), plus he gets 5 on 5 and 4 on 4 second and 3rd "scoring line" or "2-way line" time with more capable scorers (4-6 min). He gets some PK time, and, once in a great while, gets a shift on the 2nd PP unit.

Often, when there's a Top 6 injury, he moves into the 2nd scoring line for the main portion of games.

He did well with Backes and Stempy. He can score and dish the puck. But, The Blues need a main "Shut Down" line. I wouldn't feel comfortable with Sobotka centering Crombeen and King/Drazenovic/Porter or an average checker, as a "checking line" to play major minutes against other teams' Top scoring lines. The Checking line centre has major defensive responsibilities. He's got to keep the opponent centre from being involved in and setting up offensive plays. He's got to shadow his man. He's got to know how to use his body to impede him. He's got to react very quickly, anticipate well, see the ice well (recognise developing plays), and know good defensive positioning. He's got to be an excellent pokechecker and be able to steal the puck often (especially if he's not a big hitter).

According to Bruin fans on this thread, Sobotka is NOT that type of player. That is why he's gotten almost no PK time. It sounds to me, based on the description of his skills set, that Sobotka COULD become a good defensive player. He has good hockey instincts. Given that, defensive skills CAN be learned. Let's hope that Payne and Mellanby can get him to learn and develop those skills, so he can be a more valuable cog in this team's machine.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Instead of creating a new thread, I wanted to bump some good memories.

Question, how long before we as fans think Sobotka is the 2nd line center for the future or at least the next few seasons. He's now on a 53 point point pace. If he finishes like that or slightly better would Army bank on that being sustainable enough to not go after Stastny?

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

Question, how long before we as fans think Sobotka is the 2nd line center for the future or at least the next few seasons. He's now on a 53 point point pace. If he finishes like that or slightly better would Army bank on that being sustainable enough to not go after Stastny?

I think we should pursue Stastny, regardless of Sobotka's production. Not a knock of Sobotka, but I want three solid centers.

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009

This question was posed earlier in the season, and my stance hasn't changed. Most on here thought of him as a 3/4 guy, I've always seen him as a 2/3 guy on this team. 2 if he's surrounded by good wingers.

He's not your ideal 2, but unless you're going to pay Stastny big bucks, I don't think there's a better option. Derek Roy has been a good player for us, but the difference in time spent in zone on a Sobotka centered line, and a Roy centered line is vast. And Roy is at the top of the list of quality 2nd line center talent that's affordable/available. For a team like the Blues, that extra puck posession time is just as valuable as 15 extra points, which is why Stastny is the only other obvious option I see.

Edit: I buy the argument that Cup winners often have luxuries of good players in their bottom 6, but Sobotka's game fits so well into this system that it's hard to imagine finding a rough and tumble center that can pass the puck better than he can, at a price we can afford.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Well if Sobotka continues to produce like a 55 point center, there isn't someone that can get those 15 extra pionts.

The realistic expectation for Stastny would be 55-65 points. Maybe he gets back to what he used to do considering Schwartz and Tarasenko would be his wingers. If Sobotka maintains 55 point production, he'd be the best option regardless IMO. Lets see if he continues this down the stretch and more importantly in the playoffs.

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
Well if Sobotka continues to produce like a 55 point center, there isn't someone that can get those 15 extra pionts.

The realistic expectation for Stastny would be 55-65 points. Maybe he gets back to what he used to do considering Schwartz and Tarasenko would be his wingers. If Sobotka maintains 55 point production, he'd be the best option regardless IMO. Lets see if he continues this down the stretch and more importantly in the playoffs.

That's a good point. The counter argument might be banking on the upside of him fitting our system better than Col.

I've wondered if Sobotka could go to (say) the East and produce like he is for the Blues or if his success is a marriage of his talents and our system more-so than any other player on the roster.

Once Schwartz is back on that line, he might touch the puck less and give up some points, or the complete opposite may happen. Regardless, his distribution off the half-boards is hard to ignore.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Interesting to go back and read the comments about him. He's definitely formed a little bit of a "cult" following here just as he did in Boston, but he's obviously made huge improvements in his game in both zones.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I'd rather have Sobotka then Stastny. I don't get why so many fans want Paul so bad.

I want BOTH for The Blues. Backes, Stastny, Sobotka and LaPierre as the 4 centres. Then, Roy won't be re-signed, and Jaskin will have a spot next season. Berglund will be better on the wing, as we all have seen, and many of us had predicted/suspected.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I'm sold on Sobotka. I'm a believer. I about spit coffee all over my computer....not nice...

Stastny is a professional athlete. I cannot fault them for taking every dime they can when they can. With that being said, I don't see Stastny being here next year unless he takes some kind of home town discount. Some team in need of a center that needs scoring will break the bank with him. It sounds great, but....

Skew06

Nov 16, 2012
Hazelwood, Missouri
NOT the first thing I want to see when I wake up for work in the morning and see a thread about Sobotka being traded. I had that feeling in my stomach that you get when your girlfriend dumps you.

Screw whoever posted in a thread made a few years ago! Lol

Im awake now.

superblues

:sarcasm: implied
Oct 29, 2011

**** you, *******. Make a new thread next time. :rant: ;)

I just puked thinking we were losing Sobotka. LOL!

As did I. I thought "who the hell is Warsofsky?"

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Come on, NOBODY remembers that this was the trade we got him for, and knew it was an old thread from the word go but me?

This is one of the best trades our team has done since the 05 lockout. That includes the Steen trade, the Shatty/Stewie trade, and so on. It was highway robbery.

occy30

Apr 11, 2012
St. Louis
**** you, *******. Make a new thread next time. :rant: ;)

As did I. I thought "who the hell is Warsofsky?"

39225-Beaker-Freaking-Out-MYo0.gif

My first reaction

Then I was like...
post-30364-you-are-so-dumb-you-are-really-uA6z.gif

images

post-30364-hilary-duff-life-can-be-so-unf-2IEK.gif

Now I'm calm...

h3CD464DE

All better now :cheers:

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
He's not good defensively and was virtually never on the pk. In fact when Bergeron,Krejci and Savard were out they had Recchi play center on the pk over Sob. Sob played a total of 8:02 on the pk this season. He is what he is. A little bit of a pest who will hit but he's not responsible defensively, doesn't fight or play dirty and will chip in a goal once in a blue moon. He plays his best at center but not at wing because he seems apathetic about playing there. These playoffs he had 2 assists and was -10 when he was playing on a line with Wheeler and Ryder. Like I said he's basically a pest so just let him run around and hit people which is what he's good at.

This is amusing now isn't it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad