Confirmed with Link: Vladimir Sobotka traded to Blues for David Warsofsky (mod)

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Thanks.. I didn't feel right butting in and making a thread on another teams board :laugh:

Sobotka is a really good 4th line center who will give 100% every shift. For a little guy he can get physical and even throws some surprising checks every now and then.

darthvader

Jul 24, 2009
Interesting. Maybe this means Steen is moving up to a scoring line, and Sobotka will be on the checking line with McClement and Crombeen. That would be a very good checking line.

Not too bummed about losing Warsofsky. He has some skill, but is really small, and of course we are still quite full on defense even with Rundblad gone.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Thanks.. I didn't feel right butting in and making a thread on another teams board :laugh:

Sobotka is a really good 4th line center who will give 100% every shift. For a little guy he can get physical and even throws some surprising checks every now and then.

Nevertheless, I think I'd rather see Porter on the checking line with McClement and Crombeen, and rather have packaged Warsofsky with other player assets to help bring in a veteran quality scorer.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO

what kind of scoring upside does he have? he has damn good AHL numbers.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Nevertheless, I think I'd rather see Porter on the checking line with McClement and Crombeen, and rather have packaged Warsofsky with other player assets to help bring in a veteran quality scorer.

1) Porter may have some size on Sobotka, but Sobotka is better at practically everything else. Sobotka is a much better skater, is far more agggressive on the forecheck, plays better positional defense and has the offensive skill to score if teams take him for granted.

Sobotka is a much better option for that line.

2) Warsofsky has very little trade value, even as a throw in on a bigger deal. He's simply got too much going against him to have gotten us anything better.

He got us a 4th line spark plug.
That's a fairly solid return.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
1) Porter may have some size on Sobotka, but Sobotka is better at practically everything else. Sobotka is a much better skater, is far more agggressive on the forecheck, plays better positional defense and has the offensive skill to score if teams take him for granted.

2) Warsofsky has very little trade value, even as a throw in on a bigger deal. He's simply got too much going against him to have gotten us anything better.

That's a fairly solid return.

I agree. We got a pretty good 3rd/4th liner,which was something we need.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
what kind of scoring upside does he have? he has damn good AHL numbers.

Not much of a goal scorer as of yet. He gets his chances every now and then, but I don't think he's found that next level from AHL to NHL. At 22 years old, he definitely has room/time for more improvement though.

BlueBeard

Aug 17, 2008
I'm liking this move.

For any Boston fans that stumble in...Is Sobotka highly skilled defensively or is he more of a crash and banger?

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm

Sobotka is definitely more of a crash + banger.....He can really fly and is elusive when he has the puck on the boards because of his speed. Can be a pretty decent playmaker too and goes hard to the net....doesn't take **** from anyone. Most of us are sad to see him go.

Dimaio19

Mar 9, 2008
Sobotka hasn't lived up to his hype. He looked great against Buffalo in the playoffs but looked lost/ineffective all season and definitely didn't play with the same urgency and grit during the regular season. He's also prone to taking penalties at bad times. Maybe he can develop into a 3rd liner, but for now he's a fringe NHL 4th line C who doesn't contribute much on special teams.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Sobotka hasn't lived up to his hype. He looked great against Buffalo in the playoffs but looked lost/ineffective all season and definitely didn't play with the same urgency and grit during the regular season. He's also prone to taking penalties at bad times. Maybe he can develop into a 3rd liner, but for now he's a fringe NHL 4th line C who doesn't contribute much on special teams.

Sounds like he'd be good on the PK, based on descriptions of his play. I don't thin Payne would play him if he dogs it in his first several games. He's not going to make The Blues' NHL roster if he's a lazy player (it's not like he can show some worth by scoring in bunches-like Boyes).

Sam the Lion

**** the Habs
Aug 7, 2005
Texas USA
You're going to have a number of miserable Bruins fans in here. He was almost a cult-figure on the Boston boards for his following.
For a guy his size, he is huge on his skates, and with the puck. Not a lot of offense, but occasionally delivers the electrifying hit.

His is, at least, entertaining; defines "sparkplug" . . .

EDIT: He is many things, however "lazy" is not among them. He needs a consistent role is all. May be suffering from "bus fatigue". . .

/

Last edited:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
You're going to have a number of miserable Bruins fans in here. He was almost a cult-figure on the Boston boards for his following.
For a guy his size, he is huge on his skates, and with the puck. Not a lot of offense, but occasionally delivers the electrifying hit.

His is, at least, entertaining; defines "sparkplug" . . .

EDIT: He is many things, however "lazy" is not among them. He needs a consistent role is all. May be suffering from "bus fatigue". . .

/

That's good to know. I guess he played with enough urgency during the season, but really stepped it up in the playoffs. I guess he needs to play at his 110% level to be a valuable player.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007

That's a fairly solid return

Agree 100% and I am a huge fan of Warsofsky. When you factor in that Boston was likely the only team even slightly interested , it's a great return. Hmm... Let's see....4th liner that can take a regular shift now or undersized college dman that's at least 2 yrs. away? Yeah, that wasn't hard.

Sam the Lion

**** the Habs
Aug 7, 2005
Texas USA
That's good to know. I guess he played with enough urgency during the season, but really stepped it up in the playoffs. I guess he needs to play at his 110% level to be a valuable player.

During the Buffalo series (considering his role and TOI), he MAY have been our most valuable forward. However, he took a couple serious licks (one vs a goalpost while crashing the goalie), and as a result, was ineffective vs Philly. His shoulder has since been surgically stabilized.
Enigmatic . . . you may wind up with a small cult yourselves. I'll miss him for sure, but there was no room anymore, given our recent acquisitions. You'll enjoy him.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
Sounds like he'd be good on the PK, based on descriptions of his play. I don't thin Payne would play him if he dogs it in his first several games. He's not going to make The Blues' NHL roster if he's a lazy player (it's not like he can show some worth by scoring in bunches-like Boyes).

He's not good defensively and was virtually never on the pk. In fact when Bergeron,Krejci and Savard were out they had Recchi play center on the pk over Sob. Sob played a total of 8:02 on the pk this season. He is what he is. A little bit of a pest who will hit but he's not responsible defensively, doesn't fight or play dirty and will chip in a goal once in a blue moon. He plays his best at center but not at wing because he seems apathetic about playing there. These playoffs he had 2 assists and was -10 when he was playing on a line with Wheeler and Ryder. Like I said he's basically a pest so just let him run around and hit people which is what he's good at.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
The Blues were never going to be able to sign Warsofky anyway. Like Livingston and Hjalmarsson, some guys just never get signed. We got an NHL player for a guy who was never going to play for STL and who will probably play very little at The NHL level.

No doubt he has some skill, but too much to overcome.

MasqueOfTheRedDeath*

Sobotka is a banger. He will never back down. He is decent in a defensive manner though he could improve. You honestly will not be disappointed with him. A good 50% of the Bruins fan base is upset with this move honestly. He has more talent than most people think.

darthvader

Jul 24, 2009
The addition on Sobotka gives the Blues two checking line centers, so maybe they're going with two scoring lines and two checking lines, not three and one.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
The Blues were never going to be able to sign Warsofky anyway. Like Livingston and Hjalmarsson, some guys just never get signed. We got an NHL player for a guy who was never going to play for STL and who will probably play very little at The NHL level.

No doubt he has some skill, but too much to overcome.
Why do you say the Blues would never be able to sign him?

Are you talking about when he was surprised the Blues drafted him after not being one of the handful of teams that had talked to him extensively pre-draft? Or is it something else?

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
The addition on Sobotka gives the Blues two checking line centers, so maybe they're going with two scoring lines and two checking lines, not three and one.

I think most Blues fans have become accustomed to calling Jay McClement a checking line/4th line center, but I think he can contribute enough offensively to play center on a 'scoring line'. When McClement came up he was a good offensive player who also played a good defensive game. Due to a team need he was inserted into a defensive role and now he isn't looked at as anything else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad