Larry Brooks: Vitaly Kravtsov headed back to the KHL

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yes, really. I mean, it was just last year that it took two of our 23/24 year old players getting into the right mental space to make major strides. How can there be any doubt of the importance of it?

Frankly, I agree that from a purely hockey standpoint, the AHL is the better place for him. I believe I said that just a few days ago to @Amazing Kreiderman in his player discussion thread. But purely hockey is only one component of the equation and, sometimes, it's not the overriding component.
If we're talking about DeAngelo and Buchnevich, those are two guys that needed attitude adjustments. Does Kravtsov need an attitude adjustment, or does he just need additional exposure to the new game he's playing? And if he does need an attitude adjustment, why does it have to be in Russia? Why can't he find the right mental space here?

IDK. I just feel like he's going to go do his thing in the KHL and come back, maybe a little stronger, but still with the same other issues regarding his game. And if his mental space issue is an issue of being homesick or not liking how he was treated or whatever...then I don't even know what to say about it.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
And just to reiterate. Traktor is pure garbage. Awful team. Awful players. His AHl team is 10 times more talented. This is about being a brat and secondly money. Nothing about development

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
If you are Aleksi Saarela and you are already in your 4th organization in 4 years since being drafted, one of which you dragged heavily on your way out and reportedly refuse to adjust your game to what is being asked of you - you have probably invoked the right for your character to speculated on.

If you are a 20 year old prospect, who returns to your home country with the blessing of the organization after playing roughly 9 periods of NA hockey, along with an endorsement from your team that you had responded positively and had done everything that was asked of you - you should probably be given some benefit of the doubt before some rando on an messageboard calls you a "sulking-entitled brat who ran home to mommy"

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
If we're talking about DeAngelo and Buchnevich, those are two guys that needed attitude adjustments. Does Kravtsov need an attitude adjustment, or does he just need additional exposure to the new game he's playing? And if he does need an attitude adjustment, why does it have to be in Russia? Why can't he find the right mental space here?

IDK. I just feel like he's going to go do his thing in the KHL and come back, maybe a little stronger, but still with the same other issues regarding his game. And if his mental space issue is an issue of being homesick or not liking how he was treated or whatever...then I don't even know what to say about it.

Not all attitude adjustments are the same. Buchnevich and DeAngelo didn't even have the same attitude issues. But what is the difference between "attitude issue" and "wrong mental space" anyway? For Kravtsov, if it is related to being so far away from home, like I've speculated, then it wouldn't be possible for him to find the right mental space here.

If he goes and does his thing in the KHL, comes back a little stronger but with the same issues... but he's gotten a little older and his brain has developed a little more, then working on those issues with him will be more effective.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
If I remember correctly Vitaly came over in early summer to get acclimated and to train. JD mentioned him right after he was hired. So VK showed the right steps to become a NHL pro but seemed to get in a funk. Hartford.... Monday to Friday(non game days) must suck. He comes from a upper class family and probably had higher aspirations like living in the big city and playing for the NYR. Maybe compare it to a kid who quits college after his first year and goes to a local community college. Then in a year gets the fire and maturity to give it another try.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Because Gordie Clark always thinks he’s smarter than everyone else and instead of making picks that 90% of this board could make from just a few YouTube videos

I'm not a huge fan of Clark, but I trust his teams scouting over 90% of of this board basing their evaluations off Youtube videos.

Go read the Sens board complain about Zbad after his rookie season. Not every player breaks out at 18 or 19 or even 20.

How many times has J.D said the ****ing word PATIENCE with his interviews. I think he's spammed that word for posters like yourself who think **** happens overnight.

Sorry, but there's no guarantee Mittlestadt will have a better career than Andersson. And, there's no guarantee Bouchard Dobson Farabee will have better careers than Kravtsov.

Dude, step off the ledge. Like seriously.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
If I remember correctly Vitaly came over in early summer to get acclimated and to train. JD mentioned him right after he was hired. So VK showed the right steps to become a NHL pro but seemed to get in a funk. Hartford.... Monday to Friday(non game days) must suck. He comes from a upper class family and probably had higher aspirations like living in the big city and playing for the NYR. Maybe compare it to a kid who quits college after his first year and goes to a local community college. Then in a year gets the fire and maturity to give it another try.

This is literally what happened to me... and the college was Boston University, although instead of sticking with community college I ended up starting a career.

Reactions: cheech70

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Didn't say he was a bust, but this just isn't a good look. Whether its a big deal or not.
Not sure how to take ur post then.

NYR being the ‘smartest men in the room again’ seemed to imply they drafted poorly... again. So am I missing ur point? Seems to me that a 19 yr old has some time to prove the NYR took the right kid. Maybe I’m wrong.

I think the negativity in ur post was exactly what I thought it was.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I don't think either of us knows exactly what happened in Hartford, and as such I find it difficult to say whether Kravtsov was treated unfairly or not. There are some things that could justify this treatment, even for a prospect of Kravtsov's caliber. To me your assumption of "benching after every mistake" is pretty big and maybe not completely justified. Not unless you know something that I don't.

I know that if you don't let a prospect gain some (if any) confidence, you can't expect him to fix his game in any way.

One would think that a prospect signed to an ELC would be willing to learn accountability, systems, and defence, but sometimes that is a myth too.

One would think that things need to be prioritized, as if he learns that instead of developing his strengths (which is hard to do on the bench), he is going to be just a reliable bottom-six guy.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I'm not a huge fan of Clark, but I trust his teams scouting over 90% of of this board basing their evaluations off Youtube .

Go read the Sens board complain about Zbad after his rookie season. Not every player breaks out at 18 or 19 or even 20.

How many times has J.D said the ****ing word PATIENCE with his interviews. I think he's spammed that word for posters like yourself who think **** happens overnight.

Sorry, but there's no guarantee Mittlestadt will have a better career than Andersson. And, there's no guarantee Bouchard Dobson Farabee will have better careers than Kravtsov.

Dude, step off the ledge. Like seriously.

you realize that was sarcasm right? The YouTube thing? Lol

If you seriously still think Lias will be a better player than mittelstadt I don’t know what to tell you.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Jeez, some of these reactions are wild. He'll be back later this year or next year. This doesn't mean he's a bust.

Personally I think it would've benefited him to get the year in NA and adjust to the hockey style over here and who knows what injuries occur and he could've been up with the big club soon. Still could happen.

People are acting like he just signed a 5 year deal in the KHL and is done with us forever. That's clearly not the case.

Tons and tons of blue chip prospects that go on to have great careers don't play in the NHL until their D+3 or D+4 seasons.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
you realize that was sarcasm right? The YouTube thing? Lol
I wasted my time responding to a post that lacked a :sarcasm: smiley.

Shame on you for doing that to me.

giphy.gif

ZacUSNYR

Mar 16, 2009
Upstate, NY

It's frustrating that so many people expect every play made to be some highlight reel play. They sit there and look at stats, watch highlight vids, and fixate on what the perceived weakest link of the week is.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Jeez, some of these reactions are wild. He'll be back later this year or next year. This doesn't mean he's a bust.

Personally I think it would've benefited him to get the year in NA and adjust to the hockey style over here and who knows what injuries occur and he could've been up with the big club soon. Still could happen.

People are acting like he just signed a 5 year deal in the KHL and is done with us forever. That's clearly not the case.

Tons and tons of blue chip prospects that go on to have great careers don't play in the NHL until their D+3 or D+4 seasons.

I don’t think anyone thinks he’s a bust but this is a really bad look and says a lot about the guy. The pouting the entitlement it’s a really bad look for a guy that hasn’t done anything in North America. Right or wrong in pro sports you’re compared to your peers and fans will always talk about the guys you passed on. There were a lot of good players avail when we took this kid. You expect him to at least be where they are. He’s not.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
And just to reiterate. Traktor is pure garbage. Awful team. Awful players. His AHl team is 10 times more talented. This is about being a brat and secondly money. Nothing about development
Do you think that Gorton & JD have not done the math and decided what is best for him? Or did the both of them just get hit with the stupid ray?

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

Regardless of what the context of the responding post was, this needs to be emphasized again and again. We're dealing with teenagers and 20 year olds. While the league is getting younger, the majority of those players are 22-25. Now, had Kravtsov been 21 and having this happen, completely different ballgame.

If the organization is on the same page as the player, agent, and rest of their staffs, then we should worry less and have him go home for a little while, hopefully tear up the KHL and come back here in the spring feeling good about himself and ready for either an AHL or NHL stretch run.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I hope that's not the case especially in the end missing out on sure NHL guys like Farabee and Dobson.
I hope so as well ... but you never know. Maybe his skin will get thicker — but we only become more resistant to change as we age.

Reactions: bl02

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Not all attitude adjustments are the same. Buchnevich and DeAngelo didn't even have the same attitude issues. But what is the difference between "attitude issue" and "wrong mental space" anyway? For Kravtsov, if it is related to being so far away from home, like I've speculated, then it wouldn't be possible for him to find the right mental space here.

If he goes and does his thing in the KHL, comes back a little stronger but with the same issues... but he's gotten a little older and his brain has developed a little more, then working on those issues with him will be more effective.
IDK. I'm as patient as they come with prospects. I have no problem waiting on guys to develop. I don't like guys coming and finding that they're not in the right "mental space" and then packing up. For me, growing up, you started something, then you were committed to it. If you didn't see it through for any reason other than you were like on life support or something, then you were quitting. You sign your contract and say I'm going to play in North America, then you f***ing do it. Don't quit on it. Different worldviews, I guess.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I don’t think anyone thinks he’s a bust but this is a really bad look and says a lot about the guy. The pouting the entitlement it’s a really bad look for a guy that hasn’t done anything in North America. Right or wrong in pro sports you’re compared to your peers and fans will always talk about the guys you passed on. There were a lot of good players avail when we took this kid. You expect him to at least be where they are. He’s not.

It's a terrible look but that doesn't mean he won't have a solid career or he was bad pick at the spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad