Larry Brooks: Vitaly Kravtsov headed back to the KHL

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
who said his attitude stinks?

That’s the problem with all of this, we’re making an awful lot of assumptions about Kravtsov.
I heard he once kicked a baby llama in the shin in 2004.

The darkness of his soul is darker than the inside of a coffin on a moonless night.

Reactions: Machinehead

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Uhh, observation? The kid is weak on the puck, he tries to dangle through the entire defense, and when he does finally decide to do something else it's often too slow. Just call me Dr. 2k2.

Those things aren't necessarily why he and/or the team felt it necessary for him to go back to Russia, though. That's just the in-game stuff.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
He now knows making the NHL isn't as easy as he thought. I am upset he didn't get more of a chance in HFD but maybe he's just not mentally mature enough at this point to handle rough criticisms of his game. Doesn't the KHL season finish before the NHL or AHL seasons? We could see him back before the end of the season, hopefully, a little more well prepared this time.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
When the rumors about this first started swirling, I was really concerned. But after reading your post I wholeheartedly agree.

I think back to the time I spent in China on a study abroad back in 08. After 4 weeks, I was ready to be home and I was simply doing nothing but studying, traveling to experience China’s deep and rich history, and having fun. Not knowing the language, being thousands of miles away from home, it became really tough. I do have a lot of sympathy for VK. I would obviously prefer him be in the AHL but I can’t blame him.

And here's the thing... being homesick isn't limited to teenagers. I've known adults, even retirement age adults, who have been homesick. But being an adolescent, he might not be able to handle it well just yet.

I'm just speculating here. I don't know that this is what happened. I do know that it might not be as simple as "he's just not good enough yet."

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Those things aren't necessarily why he and/or the team felt it necessary for him to go back to Russia, though. That's just the in-game stuff.
....ok. I'm saying he has "in-game stuff" that he needs to work on to be a better professional player in North America. I don't really care what his reasons are for wanting to go home. The "in-game stuff" is the only thing that concerns me.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Good on Vitya for taking control of his own development as NYR seem to be clueless.

A 19 year old with undeveloped skills and untapped potential should be played to his strengths and develop the skills that make him an attractive prospect; he should not be benched because he's not dumping and chasing. Kravtsov has all the time in the world to learn the NA game later. NYR wants him to walk before he can crawl.

So predictable. Like I previously posted, NYR rushed Kravtsov to North America.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
ad5NnN9_460s.jpg

He's 19. He'll make adjustments/mature a little bit and come back when he's ready to give it a better shot.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
By the way, since they've burned a year from his contract already... if Traktor misses the playoffs, Kravtsov could be back with the team March 1st. And likely will be, if that's how their season goes.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
well I was in college at 17. I wasn't given a salary or had any $$ or was looking at the possibility of millions. Also didnt have entire organization around me to help me with everything from my job to living conditions and securing a place to stay. Didnt have an agent to pay my bills or negotiate on my behalf either

and just about everyone in the same situation didnt run home crying that life isnt fair. maybe the above is just another sign about how soft "kids" have become. I mean hes 19 almost 20 has $$ and a shot to be fabulously wealthy. If this doesn't SCREAM soft I don't know what does.

Were you in college in another country, with no family nearby, and the only people around you speak Russian?

Nobody is gonna mention how he was here most of the summer. He has been away from his home for about half a year now. A lot of people would argue he should have made the Rangers out of camp. He was sent down.

Not everyone will handle that the same way. He also didn't immediately leave, he did accept the assignment to Hartford. Played some games and at this rate would rather play in the KHL than the AHL.

Here's the other thing, he'll be back here as soon as his contract runs out. Unless he goes to a playoff team, he could realistically be back in NA around the trade deadline. Then it's either NHL or AHL for him.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Felt it at the time and obviously the case now. He was better off staying another year in the KHL. Maybe even more. We see how hard this league is physically even on bigger stronger guys like Kakko/Chytil.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
This doesn't show well for Kravstov's resilience as a player, going back to Russia after a little bit of adversity.

As far as I'm concerned, he's gonna have to earn a lot of trust back with me and the organization after running home to mommy and not sticking it out here. If his goal is indeed to play in the NHL, for a prospect like him you need to dominate at the AHL level first. There's no getting around that. So whether hes in Russia for another year or not he isn't suddenly going to become and NHL pro without going through the necessary steps.

Honestly I don't want to make excuses for the kid. This is life. Its not like he was lighting it up in the preseason and won the Sjoberg award and then mismanaged in the AHL. There are hundreds of prospects that go through tough love (and more) to get where they want to be. Deal with it and become a pro.

Extremely disappointing.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
....ok. I'm saying he has "in-game stuff" that he needs to work on to be a better professional player in North America. I don't really care what his reasons are for wanting to go home. The "in-game stuff" is the only thing that concerns me.

Right, but if the feeling is that he's not in the right mental space to work on that stuff, and he's not currently capable of being in that mental space just yet, then keeping him here doesn't do anyone any good.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Relax. Chill. The rumors of Kravtsov leaving for the KHL aren't true.

Relax. Chill. Kravtsov is 19 years old. He'll be back at the end of the season.

Relax. Chill.

I'm tired of relaxing and chilling. Why can't we just have nice things where everything immediately goes right. :(

Reactions: BlessThisMess513

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
This isn't a cause to riot in the streets but there is nothing positive about this.

He was supposed to be ready, and he was not. Now we are pushing his development down the road. It's not ideal, regardless of whether or not it's the right decision.

Say's who?

Let's say instead of coming over here at age 20, Kravtsov's agent said he was going to spend another year or 2 in the KHL before coming over like Malkin, Panarin, Kuznetsov, Tarasenko or Radulov (after already bailing 2 years into his NHL career). No one would bat an eyelash and would think he was developing swimmingly, but because he came over and it wasn't working, his development has now stagnated somehow?

In my eyes both parties realized it wasn't working and now they are fixing the issue. NYR have already said they gave Kravy their blessing and that he did everything they asked whilst over here. There may even be factors we aren't privy to.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I don’t like this as a fan. He could end up being a KHL lifer at this rate. As a person, I get it: you left your family and friends at home, to a country whose language you don’t speak, just to be relegated to a secondary league — and not even play there? Yeah ... I’ll pass.

I hope that's not the case especially in the end missing out on sure NHL guys like Farabee and Dobson.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Many questioned this selection at the time, they knew full well of the ramifications bringing players over from Russia... patience.

Rangers are shooting themselves in the foot with this clown coach. He is ruining this rebuild before it even starts.

This is not a coaching decision--all coaches do is voice their opinion--the organization makes these decisions.

Kravtsov was not ready to play in the NH. What happened next (where Kratsov was sent to play) was the decision of JD, Gorton and Drury. Everything that happened in Hartford happened with the full knowledge of the front office. The whole organization is on the same page.

Kravtsov isn't ready to compete for a spot in the NH. At least some of the reason is his age. That and the fact that he can't process the speed of the game in NA right now. Instead of leaving him there, the organization made the decision that will (hopefully) produce results in the long run. Next year isn't that far away.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The right mental space? Really? :rolleyes:

Yes, really. I mean, it was just last year that it took two of our 23/24 year old players getting into the right mental space to make major strides. How can there be any doubt of the importance of it?

Frankly, I agree that from a purely hockey standpoint, the AHL is the better place for him. I believe I said that just a few days ago to @Amazing Kreiderman in his player discussion thread. But purely hockey is only one component of the equation and, sometimes, it's not the overriding component.

Reactions: Brad Chase

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Disappointing? Sure. End of the world? Hardly.

So much outrage when the reality is this team isn't even contending this season. Obviously I'd prefer he was here getting tons of ice time on smaller rinks and learning English. But it's his call. And looked at differently, from the Athletic:

"In fact, the club feels Kravtsov could benefit from another season in Russia’s KHL, which is a more competitive league than the AHL. It could actually speed his development."

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Relax. Chill. The rumors of Kravtsov leaving for the KHL aren't true.

Relax. Chill. Kravtsov is 19 years old. He'll be back at the end of the season.

Relax. Chill.

I'm tired of relaxing and chilling. Why can't we just have nice things where everything immediately goes right. :(

Because Gordie Clark always thinks he’s smarter than everyone else and instead of making picks that 90% of this board could make from just a few YouTube videos and a write up from Bob McKenzie he goes off the board constantly.

Everyone saw FowLer and tarasenko nope we like Mcilrath we know better.

Everyone saw mittelstadt and what he could do. Nope we know better Lias Andersson.

Wahlstrom Bouchard Dobson Farabee make your choice. No we like a Russian kid no one had till later in the first round. We know better.

The only reason we have Kakko is because even Clark couldn’t F that up. But guarantee you if we had a top 5 pick we would have ended up with god knows who.

I like Kravtsov a lot but i live in the results world that the rest of all do. And if he can’t make it here then he’s done nothing for me. Could care less at this point about his season last year in Siberia. He went to Hartford and pouted his way into this situation. From day one he was obviously ready to leave. Never even gave it a chance. If that’s his mental make up I have serious concerns. Like I said earlier Shesterkin zero problem. Chytil zero problem way more polished players. But this kid thinks he should be gifted an nhl top 9 spot when he can’t even play at the AHl level? He Will now come back a year later and still need to learn the NA game. The pace and space being his biggest issue.

and ps has zero to do with being homesick. This kid came here spent all summer in the US. Has family here he just thinks he’s above the A. He’s not.

Reactions: BroadwayBlues

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad