Player Discussion Vitali Kravtsov - Signed 2-Year Deal with Traktor Chelyabinsk

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Intriguing that Kravtsov is playing his best hockey of the season in the KHL playoffs. I wonder how closely the Canucks are monitoring his progress?

I suppose it isn't easy to scout players in Russia these days. And I predict that on draft day once again, a few players will slide because of it.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Kravtsov with an assist on the latest Traktor goal, Traktor is leading 4-2 late in the 2nd. If they hold on for the win, they'll be up 2-0 going home against the 1st place team in the regular season

Reactions: Nucker101

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I wonder if there's any chance that Kravtsov makes his way back to the Canucks for training camp next September?

Looking more and more like there's going to be a lot of openings on the Canuck forward lines next season. Kravtsov is listed at 6'2, 189 on Hockey DB, but those are old stats. I'm guessing he's closer to 200 now. Just the kind of size the Canucks need up-front.

Reactions: Chiripa20

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I can't wait to hear about how the Canucks had definitely planned on buying Kravtsov out of his 3 million dollar contract after year one because it was what he needed.
Where do you get your information? How in the world did he get a $3M contract, almost no one in the KHL makes that much.

The reality is that someone like Kravtsov is not going to want to play in the AHL for $70K a year when they are making decent money in the KHL. (though I think the $3M is bullshit).

But if he does come back, give him a 2 year 2 way contract where he make decent money in the AHL. Something like NHL $1.5 AHL $700K.

He will likely need some time down there. But if he is getting paid decently, he may accept relegation. The AHL salaries are a bit of a joke for ELC who are decent hockey players needing some time. I mean if someone like Lekkerimaki, EP2 or Willander comes here they make way less than they would in the SHL, AIUI.

Last edited:
Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
1710863253446.png

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Two younger players on his own team outscored Kravtsov during the regular season and are continuing to do so in the playoffs.

He's a great big nothing at this point and there is zero chance he's on a Rick Tocchet roster on opening day in October.

• Haha
Reactions: EdJovanovski

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think a lot of Canuck watchers are underestimating how much of a bind this team is in with the salary cap.

They have nine UFA's, and once the Pettersson extension kicks in and they re-up Filip Hronek, they're down to chump change to sign any of their free agents.

Even with the salary cap nudging upwards, the Canucks have virtually little choice but to force-feed a lot of younger guys into the lineup next season. So glancing at the list of players from Abbotsford who might get the call, Kravtsov is certainly no worse than any of them.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think a lot of Canuck watchers are underestimating how much of a bind this team is in with the salary cap.

They have nine UFA's, and once the Pettersson extension kicks in and they re-up Filip Hronek, they're down to chump change to sign any of their free agents.

Even with the salary cap nudging upwards, the Canucks have virtually little choice but to force-feed a lot of younger guys into the lineup next season. So glancing at the list of players from Abbotsford who might get the call, Kravtsov is certainly no worse than any of them.

There are all kinds of cheap UFAs who are better than Kravtsov.

Bains and Podkolzin are also better than Kravtsov.

Kravtsov isn't even a terribly good KHL player.

We had a look at him, he was awful, and Tocchet hated him. He's likely never coming back unless he absolutely explodes in that league and forces us to take another look.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Where do you get your information? How in the world did he get a $3M contract, almost no one in the KHL makes that much.

The reality is that someone like Kravtsov is not going to want to play in the AHL for $70K a year when they are making decent money in the KHL. (though I think the $3M is bullshit).

But if he does come back, give him a 2 year 2 way contract where he make decent money in the AHL. Something like NHL $1.5 AHL $700K.

He will likely need some time down there. But if he is getting paid decently, he may accept relegation. The AHL salaries are a bit of a joke for ELC who are decent hockey players needing some time. I mean if someone like Lekkerimaki, EP2 or Willander comes here they make way less than they would in the SHL, AIUI.

That post was in reference to the idea of him coming back rejuvenated like Nichkushin did.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
That post was in reference to the idea of him coming back rejuvenated like Nichkushin did.
The main part of my post was to ask where the poster came up with him making $3M.

As to whether he c comes back at all, and whether he not he will ever be able to play in the NHL is another question. I think he has the skill level to do well in the NHL. Whether or not he has the fortitude to ever get there is another question.

The other part of my post dealt with the whole KHL vs AHL vs NHL salaries. Money does matter to these guys, and why play in the AHL for less money than they can get in the KHL The same issues applies in particular to Swedish (or European) players and the SHL.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
The main part of my post was to ask where the poster came up with him making $3M.

As to whether he c comes back at all, and whether he not he will ever be able to play in the NHL is another question. I think he has the skill level to do well in the NHL. Whether or not he has the fortitude to ever get there is another question.

The other part of my post dealt with the whole KHL vs AHL vs NHL salaries. Money does matter to these guys, and why play in the AHL for less money than they can get in the KHL The same issues applies in particular to Swedish (or European) players and the SHL.

When Nichkushin came back from the KHL, it was on a 2 year deal from the stars at 3m per. He put up a zero goal season and was bought out the next summer. This is what I was referencing.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I've seen enough of him against NHL competition to know that he isn't going to show up here playing a 'strong two-way game'.
See above^

There's also a YouTube channel where this guy clips videos of NHL games and he did a lot of videos on Kravtsov, highlighting his defensive play which was excellent. He's a great skater with a long wingspan and an active stick, he's very capable as a defensive player. If you read through GDT's on the Rangers board from his first stint with the team he was voted as one of the 3 stars practically every single game he played. I would say his weakest look at the NHL was his stint with Vancouver, as he was essentially sitting for most of the year and hadn't played a game in months when he came here. He wasn't in game shape. He's someone who demonstrates some of the flashiest hands & skills of any hockey player on the planet, I have that highlight reel video I made which rivals anything you could put together of any other hockey player. Couple those skills with by every metric, very solid defensive play; I don't see why you wouldn't take the gamble on him when the Canucks are in such a bind when it comes to the cap

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
See above^

There's also a YouTube channel where this guy clips videos of NHL games and he did a lot of videos on Kravtsov, highlighting his defensive play which was excellent. He's a great skater with a long wingspan and an active stick, he's very capable as a defensive player. If you read through GDT's on the Rangers board from his first stint with the team he was voted as one of the 3 stars practically every single game he played. I would say his weakest look at the NHL was his stint with Vancouver, as he was essentially sitting for most of the year and hadn't played a game in months when he came here. He wasn't in game shape. He's someone who demonstrates some of the flashiest hands & skills of any hockey player on the planet, I have that highlight reel video I made which rivals anything you could put together of any other hockey player. Couple those skills with by every metric, very solid defensive play; I don't see why you wouldn't take the gamble on him when the Canucks are in such a bind when it comes to the cap

This is a bit of an odd obsession hey?

Fans constantly see what they want to see with young players. And those stat cards are pretty much meaningless.

The truth of the matter is that the Rangers traded him away for peanuts after giving up on him. He did absolutely nothing in Vancouver to indicate that wasn't the right call.

Recasting him as a defensive player because his offensive numbers are not NHL level is really going out on a limb.

There's always a fan or two who gets overly attached to a prospect for whatever reason and you have to ask yourself whether you are that fan.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
See above^

Looks like the sort of meaningless graph that always results from a young player getting handed butter-soft minutes from coaches who don't trust him. My favourite example of this effect was the 'everyone has better numbers with Goldobin thing' which was because everyone played easier minutes with Goldobin.

He has one fancy impressive-looking deke move he pulls off once a year that looks great on youtube but is otherwise a timid, soft, low-IQ player.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I don't see why you wouldn't take the gamble on him when the Canucks are in such a bind when it comes to the cap
The Canucks did take a gamble on him, and he busted. Who knows, maybe his play will garner a second gamble at a later date?

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
After seeing what happened here with Kuzmenko, there is a 0% chance Kravtsov comes back here with this coaching staff in place.

Looks like the sort of meaningless graph that always results from a young player getting handed butter-soft minutes from coaches who don't trust him. My favourite example of this effect was the 'everyone has better numbers with Goldobin thing' which was because everyone played easier minutes with Goldobin.

He has one fancy impressive-looking deke move he pulls off once a year that looks great on youtube but is otherwise a timid, soft, low-IQ player.

I genuinely think Goldobin had more potential than he showed. I think he was miscoached.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Fortunately, I'm sure the Canucks have pro and amateur scouts scouring the KHL, MHL and Russian junior leagues for talent.

And their opinion of Kravtsov is the only one that really matters.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Fortunately, I'm sure the Canucks have pro and amateur scouts scouring the KHL, MHL and Russian junior leagues for talent.

And their opinion of Kravtsov is the only one that really matters.
But speculation isn't unwarranted. (that's a heck of lot of what we do here). Mine is that Kravtsov would have to be blowing the doors off offensively over in Russia to be any kind of consideration. Toolsy guys like him are often the most frustrating types of prospect.

Reactions: Vector and Zarpan

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Well, the comments are all over the map on what we have.

1. the acquisition cost was near zero, so who cares.
2. one poster says he's responsible defensively.
3. consensus seems to be offensive skills.
4. remarks along the lines of he will never make the lineup with Tocchet.
5. A ton of different takes on whether he is having a decent season in Russia.

Going go with we may have a diamond in the rough. Sadly the last diamond in the rough scored 39 goals and then got dumped. f*** me if I have any idea of where we are at.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad