Prospect Info: Vitali Kravtsov: Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
well if anything their season would end only about a month into the Rangers, assuming they start in January/December like anticipated
The KHL season from what I see is scheduled to end at the end of February with the playoffs from early March to late April. If we start in December that's anywhere from 3-5 months depending on what Traktor does.

And even if it does only cut a month or two into the NHL season somehow, you're still talking about a guy who has never played in the NHL and has 60-70 KHL games played that season. Would it even be wise to bring him over?

TopShelf86

Aug 16, 2020
The KHL season runs through the end of February. Into March/April if Traktor made the playoffs. The NHL is 4 months into the season at that point. If he has played 60-70 KHL games, and the NHL is deep into its season, would they even want to bring him over? I know we brought Zucarello over, but he had 50+ NHL games and 70+ AHL games under his belt and had only played 51 KHL games at the time.

I'm good with him playing overseas until we get started, but if he's going to be forced to stay until his season KHL season concludes, I'm considerably less happy about the move.

I suppose they figured with the uncertainty of the AHL season and the idea that he may very well be good enough to make that team, he wont get a lot of minutes...they just assume let him play a significant role in a top league
My brain says ok
My heart is impatient....but hopefully we'll see him in march

Reactions: kovazub94

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The KHL season from what I see is scheduled to end at the end of February with the playoffs from early March to late April. If we start in December that's anywhere from 3-5 months depending on what Traktor does.

And even if it does only cut a month or two into the NHL season somehow, you're still talking about a guy who has never played in the NHL and has 60-70 KHL games played that season. Would it even be wise to bring him over?
maybe not but it's not like this is unfair of Traktor, they are not the Rangers' farm team and have a right to want protection for someone who's kinda a KHL star. Either that or you put him onto the roster and just live with the growing pains cause every day it looks more likely the AHL is not starting up this year (which I'd also be fine with, tbh).

Also aren't Traktor really bad? Like basically no playoff hopes bad?

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Ah yes, the old "You're an alcoholic" ad hominem. Classic

The 2 situations are nothing alike. Lias chose for himself (with team permission) to stay in the SHL for the year, both to ensure he got play time, to build back his confidence, and hopefully build trade value if that's what's going to happen. That was *his* choice.

Like Lias, is Kraskov closer to Garden ice or farther away? That’s the point.

The Rangers have a history of missing of on high draft picks and although one kid’s travels might differ from another there really is no need to need to recite them when they’re missing from Garden ice. When you follow, nit pick and comment i can only guess something is clouding that judgement of yours. Nice collection

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
maybe not but it's not like this is unfair of Traktor, they are not the Rangers' farm team and have a right to want protection for someone who's kinda a KHL star. Either that or you put him onto the roster and just live with the growing pains cause every day it looks more likely the AHL is not starting up this year (which I'd also be fine with, tbh).

I don't think it's unfair of Traktor, I just don't like it from the Rangers' perspective. I want them to have as much flexibility as possible.

IDK about how good or bad they are. Apparently they've made a lot of moves.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Him spending the full season in the KHL isn't really that big of a deal tbh
My only concern is about the guy's comfortability playing in North America. I credit him for coming back and giving it a go last year, but I still worry about his transition to North America on a personal level. I was hoping he'd get to spend some time playing here and getting more acclimated to things here, but this feels like we're going to be kicking the can down the road another full year. If he had a "normal" year last season I'd be less concerned with him spending the entire campaign back home.

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
He has to stay with the KHL team for a full season? Wasn't he just in the AHL? Feel like the KHL can set him back a little bit.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
He has to stay with the KHL team for a full season? Wasn't he just in the AHL? Feel like the KHL can set him back a little bit.

Reports are that he can be recalled from loan.

Dont know if i agree playing K will set him back, unless he doesnt get icetime..

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Bourbon clouding that mind again? Try some espresso. Like Lias, this kid should be getting closer to Garden ice than farther away.

Not addressed at me but are you aware that he hasn’t played in a game since March and this gives him a chance to start playing as soon as two weeks from now as opposed to god knows how many more months? This doesn’t bother you?

P.S. Zadina from his draft class has been loaned to ExtraLiga which is probably barely above VHL.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The KHL season runs through the end of February. Into March/April if Traktor made the playoffs. The NHL is 4 months into the season at that point. If he has played 60-70 KHL games, and the NHL is deep into its season, would they even want to bring him over? I know we brought Zucarello over, but he had 50+ NHL games and 70+ AHL games under his belt and had only played 51 KHL games at the time.

I'm good with him playing overseas until we get started, but if he's going to be forced to stay until his season KHL season concludes, I'm considerably less happy about the move.

Realistically would you expect Kravtsov spending next season as NHL regular? More likely (IMO) he would’ve gotten a call-up or two for a couple of games here or there, maybe even without actual games but just to practice and stay around the guys.

I’m guessing the fact that their season is starting in two weeks was the main driver to the decision. Going from there will be determined by factors currently unknown.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Dont know if i agree playing K will set him back, unless he doesnt get icetime..
This was the tweet from earlier that is causing some concern:

That would seemingly contradict Brooks' tweet that we could recall him when we started up.

For me, I am 100% behind the move if he can be recalled when we start up. If he has to play the entire season in the KHL then I don't know, I'm conflicted. I want him to play somewhere but I also want him to be able to have a real chance at playing significant NHL games.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Realistically would you expect Kravtsov spending next season as NHL regular? More likely (IMO) he would’ve gotten a call-up or two for a couple of games here or there, maybe even without actual games but just to practice and stay around the guys.

I’m guessing the fact that their season is starting in two weeks was the main driver to the decision. Going from there will be determined by factors currently unknown.
Again I'm fine with him playing in the KHL to start their season. I just don't like the idea that he can't be recalled when the NHL season starts, if that's actually the case.

This season made me question whether he will be able to make the transition to North America (no one needs to tell me he's 20, I get it). Both in terms of his playing style and his mental state. I was hoping some of my concerns would be resolved this year, but if he spends the entire season in Russia then we'll find ourselves in the same position with the same questions starting the '21-'22 season.

I just want the option to bring him back. If that existed I would be happy.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

This offseason, Traktor changed its front office, updated the rink to Finnish size, brought back (from SKA StP) headcoach that they had the most recent successful playoff run, resigned their own foreign players who were still pretty good in a disaster of a last season and signed a couple of pretty good new ones with NHL experience including forwards Aberg and Kalinin and defenseman Pilot. Now Kravtsov. Traktor could be a surprise team out of the gates.

Last edited:

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I am more than fine with VK heading back to Russia right now. It makes all the sense in the world.

That said, what I think an interesting conversation might be for us to have is to see if we can reach a consensus on what a successful season for him should look like while he’s there. It would be cool to see if we could proactively agree on a set of statistics or outcomes that most of us would agree would show that VK is back on the path to NHL success, vice retroactively and subjectively assessing his season after it is over.

Anyone care to start? I’m not a KHL follower so I’m not qualified. I don’t even know how many games they’ll be playing or what the schedule looks like at a high level. Should we be hoping for something like 0.75 PPG (he was 0.42 PPG his last full season there)? League leader Gusev scored at a 1.32 PPG clip that season on a stacked SKA team.

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Again I'm fine with him playing in the KHL to start their season. I just don't like the idea that he can't be recalled when the NHL season starts, if that's actually the case...

That was the point I was addressing - what is so critical about the start of the NHL season if Kravtsov can’t be expected to be on the roster?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I am more than fine with VK heading back to Russia right now. It makes all the sense in the world.

That said, what I think an interesting conversation might be for us to have is to see if we can reach a consensus on what a successful season for him should look like while he’s there. It would be cool to see if we could proactively agree on a set of statistics or outcomes that most of us would agree would show that VK is back on the path to NHL success, vice retroactively and subjectively assessing his season after it is over.

Anyone care to start? I’m not a KHL follower so I’m not qualified. I don’t even know how many games they’ll be playing or what the schedule looks like at a high level. Should we be hoping for something like 0.75 PPG (he was 0.42 PPG his last full season there)? League leader Gusev scored at a 1.32 PPG clip that season on a stacked SKA team.

Points come from opportunities, especially on PP. IMO he won’t be on 1PP. He will be on the second line while the top line forwards will be on 1PP. Traktor will also have two good offensive defensemen both of whom coach could choose to put on 1PP.

0.75 PPG could be a bit of a reach but not unrealistic.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That was the point I was addressing - what is so critical about the start of the NHL season if Kravtsov can’t be expected to be on the roster?
Well, I guess you can amend my posts to read "start of hockey in North America" rather than "start of NHL season." I want him to be able to participate in camp again, participate in the exhibition slate, and if he doesn't make it, to ply his trade in Hartford and hopefully earn a call-up. This coming after he has played 30 or whatever games in the KHL. I think that would be a good progression.

I just don't like the idea of him not being able to participate in any hockey, whether it's camp, exhibition, AHL, a couple of NHL games, etc.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
...I just don't like the idea of him not being able to participate in any hockey, whether it's camp, exhibition, AHL, a couple of NHL games, etc.

I’d be fine if Kravtsov stayed until after whatever will be “after NHL All-Star break”.

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020

I'm just worried about him developing bad habits there. I'm sure the AHL coaches have been working on his game down there. Don't want him forgetting about defense and his game away from the puck because some KHL coach is more worried about winning games. Plus they don't really care about his development in the KHL as long as they win

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
Doesn’t make me warm and fuzzy that pretty much everyone else in the top 15 of his class has NHL reps, and he could be waiting another full calendar year.
Go look at the 2003 draft and 2010 draft. Look at the games played by all teams and then look at the Rangers picks. It's sickening

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'm just worried about him developing bad habits there. I'm sure the AHL coaches have been working on his game down there. Don't want him forgetting about defense and his game away from the puck because some KHL coach is more worried about winning games. Plus they don't really care about his development in the KHL as long as they win
Coaches famously hate defense when they are trying to win games.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't know why some people were writing Kravtsov in for a spot on the Rangers this year. 6 goals and 15 points in 39 games in Hartford was pretty damned underwhelming. He did not have a good year IMO. He needs to put on a few more pounds and get stronger and to me the KHL is his best option for now--he'll play anyway. I doubt he'll play much if he's in a bubble with the Rangers and I doubt seriously there is going to be an AHL season at all. It's been no secret for a while that some of our AHL vets are going overseas--there's a reason for that and it's the virus which isn't going to magically disappear despite what some might want to hope and/or think. I look at this as a good move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad