Prospect Info: Vitali Kravtsov: Part IX

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
As I said in another post, Quinn doesn’t have a benefit of hindsight to know exactly when Blackwell’s hot run ends, so to me this call should’ve been made but in a lot more recent time - 3/4 games at most. At this point I as everyone am disappointed in not seeing the permanent switch. This Blackwell issue does annoy me a lot more than whatever Quinn has previously been accused re. use of Howden.

P.S. Kravtsov still seems to get 3-5 shifts per game away from the 4th line. Not enough but something.

Well by the nature of hot streaks it wasn't going to last long. We were upset about Kreider not being moved but at least he's a proven solid 50+ point player. What the hell has Blackwell accomplished in this league?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Are you watching the games or just looking at the stat sheet?
Kratsov has been absolutely head and shoulders above what most of us anticipated.
His lack of points is coming from low ice time and shit line mates most of the time.

I'd like to see him be able to elevate the play of lesser linemates rather than him needing to ride shotgun to better players.

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
I'd like to see him be able to elevate the play of lesser linemates rather than him needing to ride shotgun to better players.

I think he’s done that plenty on the 4th line. They’ve been the best line in games the last couple weeks because of him. There’s only so much that can be done with Howden anchoring the line though

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I legit can’t tell if that makes sarcasm.
If it is then I’m sorry. If it’s not, you’re definitely not watching the games. Kratsov is elevating his line. But he can’t make them better at shooting, only get them the puck to shoot it. our fourth line is playing over its head because of him, but they’re still borderline nhl players, whereas Kratsov is a top 6 guy.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I legit can’t tell if that makes sarcasm.
If it is then I’m sorry. If it’s not, you’re definitely not watching the games. Kratsov is elevating his line. But he can’t make them better at shooting, only get them the puck to shoot it. our fourth line is playing over its head because of him, but they’re still borderline nhl players, whereas Kratsov is a top 6 guy.
Rooney isn't a borderline NHL player. He was very good in New Jersey last season and I think when he signed many of us recognized he'd be playing pretty much every night. Rooney has done a good job with or without Kravtsov.

Howden sucks, I will give you that.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
At this point, I think that Quinn has more to fear from you driving around, looking for him than he does from Groton and JD.
I think if we go back and look at our expectations for this year, The rangers hit almost all of them.
Playing meaningful games at the end of the regular season.
Kakko and laf taking big steps forward.
Improving our defense.
Confirming shesty as our #1 goalie.
Kratsov getting into the nhl and regular time (this is still a tbd).
Miller getting into the nhl (exceeds expectations)
panarin and Mika continuing their improved play.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think if we go back and look at our expectations for this year, The rangers hit almost all of them.
We have said this before, but if at training camp you were told that ZBad was going to go MIA for the first 20 games, Panarin was taking an LOA for 10, Chytil misses substantial time with an injury AND Covid, Shesterkin misses 10 games with an injury, Trouba misses 10 games with an injury, the coaching staff ALL contracting Covid and missing 5-6 games and DeAngelo melting down and being thrown of the team, you would say that this is a lottery team. The fact that they are where they are with 6 games to go is a minor miracle.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Quinn continuing to play Blackwell with Strome and Panarin over Kravtsov is peak Quinn. That's what happens when you have the IQ of a goldfish.

This last sentence is completely unnecessary but it unfortunately became your trademark.

Otherwise, please give us another examples of an unwarranted decision by Quinn for keeping a player on a forth line who deserved to be two lines higher?

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Quinn continuing to play Blackwell with Strome and Panarin over Kravtsov is peak Quinn. That's what happens when you have the IQ of a goldfish.
this is kinda how I feel. there’s no reason for it. there’s no excuse. there’s no justification for it. when blackwell was hot, I could understand it, but the line has been kelvin cold. it just makes sense to put kravtsov there but he won’t.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Rooney isn't a borderline NHL player. He was very good in New Jersey last season and I think when he signed many of us recognized he'd be playing pretty much every night. Rooney has done a good job with or without Kravtsov.

Howden sucks, I will give you that.

Rooney isn't the problem. If anything, Howden and Lemieux are victims of free agents coming in and outperforming them on a daily basis

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think the reason Quinn plays Blackwell on that line, my guess, because he thinks Strome sucks defensively in his own zone, which is correct, and Blackwell is sort of good at that, again correct in my opinion.

If correct, where my opinion differs, Kravtsov has not shown to be bad defensively, and they'd probably spend less time in their own zone if he were on that line instead of Blackwell.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
I think the reason Quinn plays Blackwell on that line, my guess, because he thinks Strome sucks defensively in his own zone, which is correct, and Blackwell is sort of good at that, again correct in my opinion.

If correct, where my opinion differs, Kravtsov has not shown to be bad defensively, and they'd probably spend less time in their own zone if he were on that line instead of Blackwell.

Kravtsov has shown to be a very defensively responsible player. If this is Quinn's thinking, it has not weight.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Kravtsov has shown to be a very defensively responsible player. If this is Quinn's thinking, it has not weight.

I agree Kravtsov seems fine to me

Yet my line of guessing says that Quinn thinks Blackwell is good for that line because of what he does in his own zone. And over the past couple games when that line has been trapped in their own zone, Blackwell is there at least blocking shots and generally being in the way of the other team.

Not saying Kravtsov would not do the same, or even better. Just my guess as to why coaching is going with Blackwell there.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
I'm kind of indifferent on Quinn right now. Mostly have supported him, certainly wasn't bashing on him early on except for not playing Igor enough. I do feel like he's becoming a little egocentric though. I mean, why the hell is Kravtsov not playing with Art and Strome right now? Zero sense, pretty much inexcusable. The kid has reacted pretty world class since the whole fiasco 2 years ago now almost. He came here and quarantined. He earned it in practice (even though since he's stepped on the ice he's clearly been a better player than most guys we've been running out there). He has played his 4th line role, and well. And now Blackwell is not hot, and he's simply killing the play more often than he's capitalizing on a gift wrapped biscuit from one of the other two.

Really just doesn't make sense at this point.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I agree Kravtsov seems fine to me

Yet my line of guessing says that Quinn thinks Blackwell is good for that line because of what he does in his own zone. And over the past couple games when that line has been trapped in their own zone, Blackwell is there at least blocking shots and generally being in the way of the other team.

Not saying Kravtsov would not do the same, or even better. Just my guess as to why coaching is going with Blackwell there.

This sounds like the (fine) line of thinking when Kravtsov got put in the lineup initially, but at this point he's not only proven that he's not a defensive liability, but actually someone who's able to make plays above average (or AT LEAST on a par with Blackwell).

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Said this from the very first game that he got a couple shifts with them, him with Panarin & Strome does NOT work. Panarin & Strome are really lazy when paired together and depend on the third wheel to do all the dirty work (Fast, Blackwell, etc). Kravy looked a lot better with Zibanejad. If I got my way they’d try Krav at Center now, Panarin on the left, and Buch or Kakko on the right. Maybe even Gauthier as that forechecker for the line creating space for Kravy & Panarin.

since I doubt they try him at center yet, perhaps:

Panarin - Strome - Buchnevich
Lafreniere - Zibanejad - Kravtsov
Gauthier - Chytil - Kakko
Barron - Rooney - Blackwell

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Kind of interesting how Kravtsov has looked progressively worse since his first game here. The pattern of top 10 picks losing confidence over their first 10 games here continues on this team.

Edit: This isn't to say Kravtsov has looked bad. But he was very impressive his first few games. Lately has looked more pedestrian.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Kind of interesting how Kravtsov has looked progressively worse since his first game here. The pattern of top 10 picks losing confidence over their first 10 games here continues on this team.

Edit: This isn't to say Kravtsov has looked bad. But he was very impressive his first few games. Lately has looked more pedestrian.

He's regressed to the team's mean, sadly but not unexpectedly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad