Vitale vs Sutter

Michael8771*

Can Vitale do Sutters job as a 3rd line center better?

Should Shero REALLY consider using Sutter as trade bait?
He should consider packaging Sutter with any number of players, probably in particular a defensemen. The return should be significant. That said we'd have to get a 3rd liner back. Vitale's a solid 4th liner who can occasionally jump up. But no, he can't replace Sutter as a 3rd line center.

My hope was to send Letang and Sutter to TOR for JVR and Kadri.

Michael8771*

Is Vitale a better hockey player? Nope

Can Vitale fill Sutter's role on the 3rd line (because he was packaged for Evander)? Yes

I would also like to add it would be nice to see Vitale take regular draws centering the 3rd line.
I'd love to get Kane! But if Sutter goes (and that's fine by me) we're gonna need at the very least a rental to take his place. Ott would be great until we could address that hole in the offseason. Vitale would be over extended and likely exploited as a 3rd liner. Much like how Adams and Glass are portrayed when they get more than 4th line minutes. I think so anyhow.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Shero will ask Sutter what team he wants to be traded to, Sutter's reply will be "Carolina".

Staal
Staal
Sutter

All they would need is a 4th line Sutter brother.

Staal
Staal
Sutter
Sutter

Call them the S team down the middle.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Actually, Brett Sutter IS currently their 4th line center.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/depthchart.htm?dcid=12

ekuyy.gif

SaturdayNightSlegr

Jan 2, 2009
Pittsburgh suburbs
Good question.

Sutter is the only non-marginal NHL player in the bottom 6 right now. Without Sutter (and Bennett), the bottom six goes from bad to terrible. Trading Sutter to get E. Kane sounds good at first, but it would be fixing one weakness while creating another.

But that's in a vacuum. Let's say Duper and Bennett come back fully healthy in time for the playoffs. Then you get a guy like Ott for a pick. Then Sutter becomes expendable - you can trade him as part of the package* to get E Kane.

Kunitz-Crosby-Kane
Jokenin/Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Jokenin/Bennett-Ott-Dupuis
Gladams/Vitale/Sill/Megna/Gibbons/Pyatt

* I'm thinking Despres/Maatta + Sutter + for E Kane. I don't think Winnipeg accepts any less, esp considering they don't need D.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Duper is done for the year. They're not saying it for sure, but it's pretty obvious. I think trading Sutter in a package for Kane is risky for this year, but it would give Sid and Geno their top 6 wingers for good (other than when Kunitz retires). Is the long term future of our top 6 more important than our cup chances this year? I'd argue yes since I'm not convinced losing Sutter and gaining Kane would make us much worse in the near term. I'm sure Shero doesn't feel that way though.

Michael8771*

Good question.

Sutter is the only non-marginal NHL player in the bottom 6 right now. Without Sutter (and Bennett), the bottom six goes from bad to terrible. Trading Sutter to get E. Kane sounds good at first, but it would be fixing one weakness while creating another.

But that's in a vacuum. Let's say Duper and Bennett come back fully healthy in time for the playoffs. Then you get a guy like Ott for a pick. Then Sutter becomes expendable - you can trade him as part of the package* to get E Kane.

Kunitz-Crosby-Kane
Jokenin/Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Jokenin/Bennett-Ott-Dupuis
Gladams/Vitale/Sill/Megna/Gibbons/Pyatt

* I'm thinking Despres/Maatta + Sutter + for E Kane. I don't think Winnipeg accepts any less, esp considering they don't need D.
Yep, I said pretty much the same thing. I wouldn't count on Dupuis being back however.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad