Vitale vs Sutter

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I'd trade Sutter in a package for a top line wing but that's it. Vitale isn't any better. Expectations are just way lower for him. Sutter is better now and clearly has far more upside.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Is Vitale a better hockey player? Nope

Can Vitale fill Sutter's role on the 3rd line (because he was packaged for Evander)? Yes

I would also like to add it would be nice to see Vitale take regular draws centering the 3rd line.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
We'd need a better 3rd line center than Vitale to win a championship, imo. Although I think that is far easier to find than a top line wing which is why I'd be willing to trade Sutter in a package for that type of winger and then find a veteran 3C at or before the deadline.

Fire Shero*

Vitale can't finish...at all.

Sutter is far from ideal, but he's significantly better than Vitale. If we traded Sutter we really would have 6 fourth line / fringe nhl players on the bottom 2 lines.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
For the rest of the year, Vitale could fill in as the 3rd-line C if Sutter was the necessary piece to complete a trade.

But after this season, Shero's new #1 priority would be finding a long-term #3C

Fire Shero*

For the rest of the year, Vitale could fill in as the 3rd-line C if Sutter was the necessary piece to complete a trade.

We all know how effective Shero is at finding long-term needs, offensively speaking.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I wish they'd give Sutter more of a purpose. He really doesn't seem to play that shutdown type of role here. I know you can't spend all game being scared of the match-ups when the bigger priority is to get Sid and Geno big minutes but I think Sutter does a lot better when he has a purpose like he did in Carolina as a shutdown guy.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Ott seems to wear out his welcome pretty fast too. Dallas fans were ripping him to shreds at the end of his time down there and Buffalo fans seemed to be very down on the guy this year a lot of the time too.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco

i agree. Bennett-Vitale-Megna would be an interesting look for the rest of the season. at least they'd bring speed and tenacity as a group.

the question i have is if Sutter (even when coupled with other assets) is valuable enough to bring in a winger good enough to justify the roster uncertainty his departure would bring?

there's talk of Sutter being used in a Kane deal. why would the Jets look to land him as a centerpiece? i will say that i imagine that Sutter does bring a 'signability' bonus to the teams in western Canada. teams that are purported to have issues attracting free-agents.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I wish they'd give Sutter more of a purpose. He really doesn't seem to play that shutdown type of role here. I know you can't spend all game being scared of the match-ups when the bigger priority is to get Sid and Geno big minutes but I think Sutter does a lot better when he has a purpose like he did in Carolina as a shutdown guy.

The problem is he doesn't have the wingers to be the shutdown guy. Whenever they play him in that role, Bylsma rolls out Gladams with him. That clearly isn't a shutdown caliber 3rd line. So, in that case, I'd much rather prefer a Megna-Sutter-Gibbons 3rd line that can add secondary scoring and play decent defensively. That will never happen, but yeah.

A whoever-Sutter-Dupuis line would have been the way to go if they wanted a shutdown line.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
i agree. Bennett-Vitale-Megna would be an interesting look for the rest of the season. at least they'd bring speed and tenacity as a group.

the question i have is if Sutter (even when coupled with other assets) is valuable enough to bring in a winger good enough to justify the roster uncertainty his departure would bring?

there's talk of Sutter being used in a Kane deal. why would the Jets look to land him as a centerpiece? i will say that i imagine that Sutter does bring a 'signability' bonus to the teams in western Canada. teams that are purported to have issues attracting free-agents.

I agree with you entirely.

*IF* Sutter was a piece needed to bring back - as an example - Evander Kane, okay, I do it.

But:

1) it has to be someone of that caliber to justify running Vitale as your 3C for the rest of the season

and

2) I don't think Sutter has that much value.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
I would love to package Sutter in a deal for a big time winger. But no, Vitale is not better than Sutter. Sutter quite possibly has played with the biggest pieces of turds in NHL history this year, third liner or not.

Could a stacked top 6 plus either Vitale or Jokinen on the 3rd line work? I absolutely think it could.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
As far as offense goes, I'd like to see Sutter get more than one game with legitimate NHL players on his wing this season. His defensive game has been fine, and is better than Vitale or Zill's ever will be.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
maybe i just watched too much of the world juniors, but it seems like sutter plays a much more european style than youd expect from a good canadian boy from red deer. doesnt offer the sense of energy and physicality that vitale brings, but clearly is in the right place more often than not defensively. on the vitale front, i think hes perfectly suited for a 4C role, though he could lead a dominant 4th line given some better wingers.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Keep Sutter and re-sign him because he's a RFA.

The time to debate trading him is when he's a future pending UFA.

Cheap, serviceable, young 3C with upside.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Keep Sutter and re-sign him because he's a RFA.

The time to debate trading him is when he's a future pending UFA.

Cheap, serviceable, young 3C with upside.

I think this is what is going to end up happening, but if Sutter is a make or break point in a trade for someone like Kane... you have to let him go. Especially Kane, who is carrying only a $5.25 cap hit until 17/18.

darkbrew*

Not sure anyone noticed this but Vitale has no scoring touch at all. Like laughably bad. If he had hands like sutter did maybe he would be half the player he is.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Not sure anyone noticed this but Vitale has no scoring touch at all. Like laughably bad. If he had hands like sutter did maybe he would be half the player he is.

With a stacked top 2 lines does it really matter if your #3C is a finisher or not (in a perfect world you'd want finishers everywhere, but this isn't that world). He's a top faceoff man and if you flank him with Jussi and Megna I think he'd be OK.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I agree with you entirely.

*IF* Sutter was a piece needed to bring back - as an example - Evander Kane, okay, I do it.

But:

1) it has to be someone of that caliber to justify running Vitale as your 3C for the rest of the season

and

2) I don't think Sutter has that much value.

I've gotta disagree with #2, I think Sutter has a lot of value this season and moving forward. He can finish, he can play a defensive game, his cap hit is really low right now, and he's still young with good upside. And his name doesn't hurt either. If you played him with anyone capable of passing, he would net you 15-20 consistently. His PK stats this year are off the charts effective, and his advanced stats of moving the play from the D zone to the O zone are awfully good too. There simply are not a ton of guys with this package, at this cap hit, at this age in the league right now.

We play him with complete garbage, and thus get as little as possible out of the guy.

I would not include him in any package, as trying to replace him without spending a lot of assets would be a nightmare, and counter-productive. Our resource to trade is D men. Old ones, young ones, fat ones, tall ones. We have them. We can't be trading Neal or BB or Sutter, completely counter-productive.

And Vitale is in no way a short or long term replacement for Sutter on a championship team.

Now, if we were sending Sutter + 1st to the Peg for Kane, then ok. We can use D depth to replace him. But if the deal is Sutter + Depres + 1st, then I (and the organization) will not do that deal. Nor would Winnipeg, for that matter. We would be better served with trading for Seto and only giving up futures, and retaining all of our assets for the ideal trade, like an ROR for Depres + 1st + 1b prospect type of thing. In other words, a deal that we get the better of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad