Visors/Cages/Fishbowls/Nothing

1stoverall

Oct 19, 2010
Just a bucket for me i haven't worn a visor in 3 years and only a close call or two with high sticks. I guess i need a reason to put the visor back on im kind of stubborn plus i keep saying to myself i have a great benefit package lol

shawn1331

Oct 17, 2011
I've played hockey since I was 8, I'm 16 now and can honestly say I've never taken a stick or puck to the cage. Not that I go around sticking my nose out either. I wear it pretty loose as well. Had the whole bucket pop off last game.

I use a college cage and no matter what you do they won't ever fit right but there Comfy and you can see easy out of em. Just do the chin strap up and hope you don't get a stick between the chin thingy and your face. I honestly wouldn't mind using a visor in house league now because its no contact(booo) but I would for sure keep it for varsity.

goalie29

Oct 17, 2010
Canada
I wear a full cage, and when I'm in net I have a mask with a fully certified cage on it. I like my face and my teeth the way they are. When I switch back and forth it takes about 3 minutes to not even see the bars anymore.

An acquaintance of mine used to wear a shield. In a pickup game with a bunch of experienced hockey players he took a puck to the eye. It was a tipped shot that flukily went almost straight up under his shield. Broken nose, broken orbital bone, and damage to his eyeball.

After a couple of surgeries and lots of time off work he's back to playing. He told me that every single guy who saw him get hit and the blood and the aftermath is now wearing a cage.

Kulluminati

Jan 20, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
As I said on the first page, I wear a visor. I guess I've been pretty lucky I haven't gotten hit in the face by a puck or stick in the 2.5 years I've worn one, and before that all my 12 years in minor hockey I never took anything to the cage. And the visor I wear the VR910 makes me look like Dany Heatley, so it comes down to about the area between my nose and mouth.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Wore a full cage up until last night, finally put on a visor since I'm playing junior now. I love it, but I'm sure that will change after the first highstick to the face.

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
Wore a full cage up until last night, finally put on a visor since I'm playing junior now. I love it, but I'm sure that will change after the first highstick to the face.

what jr level, i thought the rule was in jr unless a cage is mandated league wide, you have to wear a visor unless you have an injury

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Clear curved Visor.
Started off with a cage but just couldn't get on with it, the bars were too much of a distraction (my stick handling etc is bad enough without something distracting me) and I didn't like the weight of it. Changed to the Visor a few months ago and haven't looked back.
I ALWAYS play with a mouthguard though, I've got friends who play with visors and no mouthguard and have missing/ broken teeth.

Don't think a mouth guard will keep your teeth safe. Just watch out for the guys with errant sticks.

I wear a cage, I might give the fishbowl a try when I go back to Vancouver. If it doesn't fog up all the time, I'll probably go with that.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
I wear a Bauer, pro-cut visor. With a mouthguard.

I don't really play the style to get high-sticked (as in I get rid of it pretty quickly), so I'm ok for now. As for a puck to the face, I try not too block shots that much (I'm a dman), cause my goalie is pretty good so he just says let me see it and I'll save it. Nobody shoots it hard enough for me not to react in time if it were tocome at my face.

God forbid, but if it does ever happen... I'll probably switch :laugh:

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I wear a Bauer, pro-cut visor. With a mouthguard.

I don't really play the style to get high-sticked (as in I get rid of it pretty quickly), so I'm ok for now. As for a puck to the face, I try not too block shots that much (I'm a dman), cause my goalie is pretty good so he just says let me see it and I'll save it. Nobody shoots it hard enough for me not to react in time if it were tocome at my face.

God forbid, but if it does ever happen... I'll probably switch :laugh:

It always seems to be the deflections that rocket up unexpectedly into your mug. And i noticed when playing some shinny, the ones (usually younger players) with the full cages have ZERO care to where they have there stick. A lot of close calls with these guys, as they aggressively try to lift your stick or swing there twig head high sometimes.

RoninNYR

Jan 31, 2011
NJ
Just switched to bauer 9900 from a rusted Bauer.

Worth every penny, my helment feels more balanced if that makes sense. My old cage weighed my head down.

shawn1331

Oct 17, 2011
what jr level, i thought the rule was in jr unless a cage is mandated league wide, you have to wear a visor unless you have an injury

Depends. I know out here in jr.C you can wear a visor IF they have a seperate insurance taken out instead of the league wide and your over 17. If your 16 not a chance even with insurance.

duul

Jun 21, 2010

Jr.B and some games with the Jr.A team. Basically in Jr.A you can wear whatever you want because some kids are trying or have full rides lined up so either the school they're going to doesn't want them getting hurt or they see no point in having to switch back. In the Jr.B league I'm in it's the same thing really, you can choose for the most part (unless you're 16 or 17 as someone stated).

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I wear a cage to protect my eyes and teeth, and because I don't really care what I look like on the ice. I have played plenty of shinny with no cage/visor, and it is nice, I do think I'm a little more aware of everything going on around me, but in actual hockey games it's too much of a risk, especially since I'm just playing beer league now. I'll take very slightly worse vision for safe eyes and teeth any day. Once I get a job with full dental coverage I'll consider moving to a visor, but definitely one of those big aviator style ones, with a high end mouthguard to boot.

Trevor3

Nov 16, 2010
Stephenville - YJT
I wear an Underarmour straight visor. Only problem I have is that it doesn't work well my helmet (Itech HC100) and it keeps coming loose and then the screws pop out after a while. But, I play junior so the trainer has to deal with it haha. I like to try and get under the skin of the other guys, especially in front of the net and its not a good idea to mix it up with people if you have a birdcage.

In reference to the above posts about mandatory usage of visors for junior, it varies by province. We have a guy on our team that played a couple of games of junior when he was 16 or 17 in Nova Scotia and wore a visor. In Newfoundland you can't wear a visor until after midget, so you have to be 18. Even then, I've seen guys wear cages if they don't own visors.

That said, I wore a visor all through minor hockey and it saved my face a number of times. I've taken a couple of pucks off of there, more high sticks than I can count, and one time got stuck to a guy on the other team when our cages tangled up after a hit. I also tried the fishbowl when I was in peewee, that was terrible.

Kulluminati

Jan 20, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
this is basically what i rock, I may look like riot control but i get good protection and the best vision:

dany_heatley_104471208.jpg

KareyPrice

Jun 7, 2010
In my league cages are manitroy so I use a ccm FM 480 with hang and when I go to shinny or mens league games I go no cage straight grinder look :laugh:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
In my league cages are manitroy so I use a ccm FM 480 with hang and when I go to shinny or mens league games I go no cage straight grinder look :laugh:

You do realize that hanging the cage off your face and having it flap around is going to have it hurt your vision, right?

Also, you don't look cool. You look like an idiot who doesn't know how to adjust straps.

Sorry, but the 'cewl hang, dope!' types annoy me. On a sidenote, learning some spelling and grammar might help with that perception.

All that said, I do wear a 480. Nice simple cage that does exactly what it's designed to do. I would have been tempted by the 9900 if it wasn't twice as expensive. And it gets whacked by sticks fairly routinely.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
You do realize that hanging the cage off your face and having it flap around is going to have it hurt your vision, right?

Also, you don't look cool. You look like an idiot who doesn't know how to adjust straps.

Sorry, but the 'cewl hang, dope!' types annoy me. On a sidenote, learning some spelling and grammar might help with that perception.

All that said, I do wear a 480. Nice simple cage that does exactly what it's designed to do. I would have been tempted by the 9900 if it wasn't twice as expensive. And it gets whacked by sticks fairly routinely.

He spelled one word wrong there bud. Nothing wrong with a bit of hang, especially if you have a 480. I guess if you're playing mens league or whatever it's not a big deal but if you're playing jr or any high level hockey it's sick.

ean

Nov 27, 2007
If you are the type who, after an injury, will throw the visor or cage on, then just do it now and save yourself the hassle.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
Full cage. Wore one as a goalie til age 18, and then as a player through college. Cage has stayed throughout men's league.

It's like smoking. You're an adult. You know the risks. Just don't get mad when I laugh at your teeth and blood on the ice and the stitches in your face. See it all the time.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
Full cage. Wore one as a goalie til age 18, and then as a player through college. Cage has stayed throughout men's league.

It's like smoking. You're an adult. You know the risks. Just don't get mad when I laugh at your teeth and blood on the ice and the stitches in your face. See it all the time.

see you are the kind of guy that pisses me off. I don't need your sympathy, but "I'm gonna stand there and laugh" you're an ass.

I know the risks as does everyone else. I understand some of you guys have to protect your beautiful faces but really you're gonna laugh at someone else's pain. wow.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
And the guys with a cage just take it. I certainly wouldn't.

I just don't see how you could be against something that keeps people safer. It doesn't change the player. They'd have no respect with nothing or just a visor too.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to play without a cage, but I can't afford that. When you've got to pay your own medical bills you wise up and get a cage.

i never say a word to a caged guy unless he starts punching people after the whistle or getting his stick up high in the corners. after that its fair game and we play the same 8 teams 5 times, i wont forget lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad