OT: Visitors Guide to Texas

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Hey guys! I plan on booking my trip to the Dallas/Arlington area for WrestleMania in a couple of weeks. Figured it'd make sense to book before tickets go on sale in a couple months.

DOes anyone have any tips on how I could get on a list to be notified of any pre-sale / pre-sale codes for when tickets do go on sale? Thanks!

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
Hockey in Austin?

Heading down to ACL Wednesday and wondering if there are any good places to catch games there? Staying in East Austin.

Thanks for any tips.

LoneStarHockey

Sep 19, 2011
Texas
I do not live in Austin so not sure how much I can help. However, I do normally attend a conference down there for a week during the hockey season every year. I will normally just go to a sports bar like Buffalo Wild Wings or Bikinis and they will have the game on. Now, if there is football or basketball on you may have to ask them to put it on and be ready to sit off to the side with a TV to yourself. That's usually what I do, but if someone is more familiar with Austin they may have better info for you.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I do not live in Austin so not sure how much I can help. However, I do normally attend a conference down there for a week during the hockey season every year. I will normally just go to a sports bar like Buffalo Wild Wings or Bikinis and they will have the game on. Now, if there is football or basketball on you may have to ask them to put it on and be ready to sit off to the side with a TV to yourself. That's usually what I do, but if someone is more familiar with Austin they may have better info for you.

Asking for the game at BWW is always an option, thankfully. I've done that a few times.

Not sure about anywhere else you could go, but I'm sure some bars won't mind turning it on assuming its not Saturday/Sunday.

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
Thanks. Hoping to get FC Dallas v. Whitecaps on Wednesday night as well. Holy ****, it's going to be 90F all week. Hockey weather!!

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Going to go ahead and make this an all-purpose Texas Visitors thread. Also moved the Austin discussion here.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I'll be making my first trip to Dallas after being a fan since I was 7, back in 2001. Any recommendations on places to visit in Dallas? Also i'll be needing tickets for the Thursday & Saturday game next week. Best place to buy them other than stubhub? Or if you guys are selling or know anyone that is selling shoot me a PM!

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Well you can't have my tickets for the Saturday game. If not Stubhub, ticketmaster or call the box office and put them on willcall or electronic.

There's numerous breweries (Community, Peticolas, Lakewood, Deep Ellum) open around Dallas itself, the museums (Perot, DMA, Nasher, Aquarium), and some BBQ.

Not much to do around here.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
DART - Airport to AA Arena

Out of towner, looking at staying at Hyatt Hotel located at airport. Want to avoid rental car and use DART. How easy is it?

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Out of towner, looking at staying at Hyatt Hotel located at airport. Want to avoid rental car and use DART. How easy is it?

Super easy? $5 a day. Buy a ticket, take it downtown, ride around to your heart's content.

It won't get you everywhere but it's not too bad... Plus Uber is a thing if you need to go somewhere else.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Hi guys. I'm a Canadiens fan living in Houston. I'm going to come up for the game Saturday. I seen one game here about 4 years ago, actually it was the night that the Rangers clinched a seat in the World Series. It was empty and me and another HF poster got invited to sneak down to the lowest level.

Prior to that I had sat in the very top row of the Bell Center but it was amazing because it was the playoffs. But sitting about 3 rows from the glass in Dallas was pretty damn cool too.

I'm debating if I should pay $250 for row C seats in section 107 or save $100 and just pay $150ish for tickets in rows f-k ish?

How would you compare the experience? Anyone ever sat next to the penalty box?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Hi guys. I'm a Canadiens fan living in Houston. I'm going to come up for the game Saturday. I seen one game here about 4 years ago, actually it was the night that the Rangers clinched a seat in the World Series. It was empty and me and another HF poster got invited to sneak down to the lowest level.

Prior to that I had sat in the very top row of the Bell Center but it was amazing because it was the playoffs. But sitting about 3 rows from the glass in Dallas was pretty damn cool too.

I'm debating if I should pay $250 for row C seats in section 107 or save $100 and just pay $150ish for tickets in rows f-k ish?

How would you compare the experience? Anyone ever sat next to the penalty box?

I'd take the cheaper seats, personally. Better views, slightly less crowded, and it'll just be easier to watch the game in general.

I wish Houston had a team. Sigh.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
I'd take the cheaper seats, personally. Better views, slightly less crowded, and it'll just be easier to watch the game in general.

I wish Houston had a team. Sigh.

So do I.

I ended up getting my ticket from ticket master, section 120 row N seat 15ish, thanks.

Next question, where can I find a room with an indoor pool for <$200 ideally? It doesn't have to be super close, the wife will drop me and and I'll take UBER or a cab back.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
So do I.

I ended up getting my ticket from ticket master, section 120 row N seat 15ish, thanks.

Next question, where can I find a room with an indoor pool for <$200 ideally? It doesn't have to be super close, the wife will drop me and and I'll take UBER or a cab back.

I'm pretty sure any of the major hotel sites (kayak, travelocity, etc.) could help with that. Dallas isn't all that difficult to traverse, especially with a GPS, so you could stay out in a suburb where its much cheaper and there's just as much to do if you know where to look. Frisco would be a pretty good option - that's where we usually stay, and they have a mall close to the practice facility, as well as the big Rally House store. Some other fun stuff to do around there as well.

rudiger

I like hockey
Jan 24, 2013
Denton County
Where can I get some good BBQ? I don't mean a chain but a place that locals love to go for some authentic Texas BBQ.

My favorites are:

Slow Bone - Design District
Pecan Lodge - Deep Ellum
Lockhart - Bishop Arts District & Old Town Plano
Ten50 - Richardson
Hard 8 - Coppell
Hutchins - Frisco

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
My favorites are:

Slow Bone - Design District
Pecan Lodge - Deep Ellum
Lockhart - Bishop Arts District & Old Town Plano
Ten50 - Richardson
Hard 8 - Coppell
Hutchins - Frisco

Thanks so much for the reply. I was coming here to ask the same question since I'll be in town for WrestleMania in a couple of months.

I don't plan on making the trip all about wrestling. Other than the event itself, I have nothing else planned, though.

I know there are a couple of museums in the area, and Six Flags and such. Is Six Flags worth it? What else would you recommend to a 30 year old guy?

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Hey Stars fans. I had made a thread regarding my questions but it was merged into here and seems to have gotten kind of lost so I'll ask again now and maybe someone can help me.

Long story short, I'm a Sabres fan from Buffalo and my dad just moved to Arlington in the fall due to a job transfer. I'm scheduled to fly out to see him this Saturday, the 23rd. My flight gets into Dallas around 6:45 PM that night and I'm planning on going to the game on Monday, the 25th against the Flames. It'll be my first time in Texas and obviously my first Stars game. This will also mark the first time I visit another NHL arena outside of Buffalo, so as an NHL fan, I'm extremely excited to see the Stars play and root for them at the game.

Prior to the game on Monday, I'm going to try to attend the Stars' practice at Dr Pepper StarCenter Euless on Sunday morning at 11 AM. I've honestly never even gone to a Sabres practice here in Buffalo (I've found other ways to meet our players here that I've never needed to) but I have my heart set on trying to meet a few Stars and get some autographs while I'm in Dallas this weekend. Does anyone know where I can buy an official Dallas Stars mini helmet? Is there anywhere in the Arlington area that sells Stars memorabilia that might have them? If there's a place near Arlington that carries them I can have my dad get one before I get there. I'm thinking if I can get ahold of one it'd be perfect for multiple autographs if I get lucky enough to catch a few players after practice.

Also, has anyone actually gone to a practice before and had success meeting the players? Just trying to gather any information I can to make it a little easier when I get there. Thanks for any answers anyone might be able to provide.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Hey Stars fans. I had made a thread regarding my questions but it was merged into here and seems to have gotten kind of lost so I'll ask again now and maybe someone can help me.

Long story short, I'm a Sabres fan from Buffalo and my dad just moved to Arlington in the fall due to a job transfer. I'm scheduled to fly out to see him this Saturday, the 23rd. My flight gets into Dallas around 6:45 PM that night and I'm planning on going to the game on Monday, the 25th against the Flames. It'll be my first time in Texas and obviously my first Stars game. This will also mark the first time I visit another NHL arena outside of Buffalo, so as an NHL fan, I'm extremely excited to see the Stars play and root for them at the game.

Prior to the game on Monday, I'm going to try to attend the Stars' practice at Dr Pepper StarCenter Euless on Sunday morning at 11 AM. I've honestly never even gone to a Sabres practice here in Buffalo (I've found other ways to meet our players here that I've never needed to) but I have my heart set on trying to meet a few Stars and get some autographs while I'm in Dallas this weekend. Does anyone know where I can buy an official Dallas Stars mini helmet? Is there anywhere in the Arlington area that sells Stars memorabilia that might have them? If there's a place near Arlington that carries them I can have my dad get one before I get there. I'm thinking if I can get ahold of one it'd be perfect for multiple autographs if I get lucky enough to catch a few players after practice.

Also, has anyone actually gone to a practice before and had success meeting the players? Just trying to gather any information I can to make it a little easier when I get there. Thanks for any answers anyone might be able to provide.

Frisco is where they practice, and there's a store attached to the rink that has souvenirs. As for memorabilia, there's a Field of Dreams in Stone Briar mall (short drive from the Frisco rink) that sells all sorts of what you'd be looking for.

As for meeting the players, it just depends on the day. You'll probably see at least two or three, but the big names usually don't come out for autographs. You'd have to set up something with marketing after the game to do that (I have no idea if this is even possible or reasonable, but the worst they could do is say no).

So basically you're gonna have to make a trip out to Frisco. Not terribly far. I'm not really sure what's in Arlington that fits your description, if anything.

chaoskid38

Jan 30, 2016
Boise,Idaho
how to get an autograph?

We are going to a Stars game in February(in Dallas) and were looking for any tips on possibly getting our jerseys signed. I know before the game will probably be impossible, but what about afterwards? We are travelling all the way from idaho (the Steelheads are an affiliate team of the Stars). Thanks for any help or advice that m ight make our gameday even better!

Montgomery81

Aug 6, 2015
Oklahoma City
My wife and I are coming down from OKC for the Caps-Stars game this Saturday. Haven't been able to get down for a game since the Modano jersey retirement weekend. What are a couple of options for local beer and apps around the AAC?

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Hey all, my wife and I are heading to Dallas for Wrestlemania for our one year anniversary...

(Pause for judging...) :facepalm:

I was looking for tips on which neighbourhoods near American Airlines Centre / Downtown are...

- Safe to walk at night
- Has some good restaurant and entertainment options
- Is relatively cheap/easy to get around.

Pretty broad question, but I would appreciate any tips. Any tips on where to eat would be helpful too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad