OT: Visitors Guide to Texas

Arno Dorian*

Sep 4, 2010
Austin, TX
Seriously considering going to the home opener this year, will be fairly hefty price for a flight, ticket, and hotel.. but worth it I think :)

Yeah having Chicago in town for the opener is really unfortunate. A bunch of red sweatered lemmings buying up tickets. Oh well, at least it will be a good test day 1.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
Yeah having Chicago in town for the opener is really unfortunate. A bunch of red sweatered lemmings buying up tickets. Oh well, at least it will be a good test day 1.

With bkennedy and his waifu being the first in the line of those red-sweatered lemmings.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
I'll be in Dallas from the 11th thru the 14th, does anyone know of any hockey going on between then? Either Stars hockey or pick up hockey besides regular drop in. I'll have my equipment with me so I will probably get out a few times and skate.

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
I'll be in Dallas from the 11th thru the 14th, does anyone know of any hockey going on between then? Either Stars hockey or pick up hockey besides regular drop in. I'll have my equipment with me so I will probably get out a few times and skate.

haven't been out there for pickup in a while, but the starcenter in farmers branch usually has a good drop in on thursday nights. summer's over now, meaning the kids are back at school, so maybe not as many skaters as usual. most of the guys were well above my level (d). you might want to give them a call. if you can, talk to the manager there. his name is rick.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
So finally took the DART last night for the first time to the game....and it was as easy as could be. I was pretty shocked, just cause I don't trust public transportation.

But definitely will be using it from now and was surprised how many Stars fans already use it.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
So finally took the DART last night for the first time to the game....and it was as easy as could be. I was pretty shocked, just cause I don't trust public transportation.

But definitely will be using it from now and was surprised how many Stars fans already use it.

Yeah I used to always take the DART Rail to the games. Also allowed one to get drunk at the game without worrying about the long drive home :laugh:

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad

I used it to go to a game back in maybe '04 and was filled with Stars fans..You're behind the times! Rode it from downtown FTW and back. Had gone to a San Angelo vs FTW CHL game Friday night then Stars Saturday night. Fun hockey weekend.

rudiger

I like hockey
Jan 24, 2013
Denton County
DART is doing some rail maintenance during the weekends of November. If you use the rail to go to the AAC , you might want to read this.

LINK

Last edited:

kingslunk

Oct 25, 2014
Thinking about going to the Ducks game solo (need game 6 redemption in person). Can't convince any friends to bail on Halloween.

Haven't been to a game solo. Anyone want to suggest what it's like?

kingslunk

Oct 25, 2014
I've never had any problems. The last three seasons I mostly went alone. Guess it depends on your personality. Still enjoyed my time quite a bit.

Season ticket holder? Had season tickets with an ex last season. Didn't renew due to not being able to find someone who wanted to go in. Been debating going in solo. (I'm addicted to Stars hockey...)

Good to know.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
Hey guys, I need a bit of guidance if I may...

I will be in Fort Worth next week on business but will be taking some time to attend the Stars - Coyotes game on the 20th.

I am staying up north of the city near the Fort Worth Alliance airport, and according to google maps, it a 44 minute commute to the AAC.

However, that is not taking traffic into account of course, and I was planning to stop in Grapevine for a bite to eat before the game. I can leave no earlier than 5pm to get to the AAC, and I am concerned about making it in time.

Do you guys have any insight into what I can expect?

Is it better to go straight to the AAC and eat there or do I have time to make it for the 7:30 puck drop?

Are food prices at the AAC inflated ( like most sports facilities) to the point of ridiculous?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.

Last edited:

StoneColdGMJN

Jul 16, 2013
Marquette
Where were you planning on eating in Grapevine? And yes, at that time of day traffic will be pretty awful, but not until you get past 161 at the very least, so you'll be able to make it to grapevine no problems.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
Grapevine isn't really a "cool" place to eat. Mostly chain restaurants and suburban families. Traffic is going to be pretty bad. However, if you're in the alliance area, you can take 114 right to 35, traffic shouldn't be as bad going into Dallas.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
Where were you planning on eating in Grapevine? And yes, at that time of day traffic will be pretty awful, but not until you get past 161 at the very least, so you'll be able to make it to grapevine no problems.

I have no idea, but I am very open to suggestions. I just picked Grapevine because its seems like it halfway, but I have no set plans as of yet.

Do you think Im better off heading straight there and eating at the ACC ?

Grapevine isn't really a "cool" place to eat. Mostly chain restaurants and suburban families. Traffic is going to be pretty bad. However, if you're in the alliance area, you can take 114 right to 35, traffic shouldn't be as bad going into Dallas.

Awesome ! Yeah, 114 leads me straight to Grapevine and then on to the AAC from the hotel , thats why I figured it was less complicated to stop there to eat.

Tolberts is in grapevine, and that place is pretty damn good.

I will look it up, thanks !

DaStars99

Purdue Alumnus
Feb 6, 2007
Dallas
with traffic sucking in DFW in general I'd recommending driving near the arena first and eating around there. While most of the restaurants in victory park suck/very overpriced for what you get there are tons of options in Uptown or near by in Bishops Arts District/Trinity Groves. All different price points too, uptown will have in general pricier places but still some reasonable options too. Some of my favorites in these areas are LUCK, the Rustic, and Meddlesome Moth (if you like beer) Hopdoddy's (burgers) Meso Maya (Mexican) Lockharts (BBQ) I can give some more recommendations in that area if you have a food style preference and price you'd be willing to pay. Enjoy the area, Go Stars

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Yeah I wouldn't eat in Grapevine with 2 and a half hours to spare. You'll be checking your watch the entire time.

I'm a fan of Mi Dia from Scratch up there though if you really are set on it. It's not all crappy chains.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
with traffic sucking in DFW in general I'd recommending driving near the arena first and eating around there. While most of the restaurants in victory park suck/very overpriced for what you get there are tons of options in Uptown or near by in Bishops Arts District/Trinity Groves. All different price points too, uptown will have in general pricier places but still some reasonable options too. Some of my favorites in these areas are LUCK, the Rustic, and Meddlesome Moth (if you like beer) Hopdoddy's (burgers) Meso Maya (Mexican) Lockharts (BBQ) I can give some more recommendations in that area if you have a food style preference and price you'd be willing to pay. Enjoy the area, Go Stars

"If" I like Beer? Well, I am Canadian. Isnt that what we are known for? :sarcasm:

Thanks a ton for the suggestions, and I think I will take your advice and head straight towards the arena and eat around there.

I follow a Paleo diet, so a good steakhouse will be the ticket for me for sure. Do you recommend one near the Bishops Art District/ Trinity Groves area as you suggested?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad