Visiting Toronto?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Oh ya, I love Chaplin as I still use it to get to one of our training areas at Ridelle Ave.

I love hitting Granite Brewery from time to time as well. Yitz's was such a a great place too and I have another buddy who raves about the House of Chan steakhouse.

I definitely want to hit that up at some point.
House of Chan I would say is one of the most overrated places in the city. It was just a convenient spot to get a decent steak and overpriced Chinese food for people in Forest Hill. I'd go to any of the bigger steakhouses downtown over it (Barbarians for example). I absolutely wouldn't travel from the East End for it specifically.

Reactions: BallardEra

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
House of Chan I would say is one of the most overrated places in the city. It was just a convenient spot to get a decent steak and overpriced Chinese food for people in Forest Hill. I'd go to any of the bigger steakhouses downtown over it (Barbarians for example).
Thanks for the info. He hasn't been there in a good 10 years or so. Perhaps it was better back then?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Thanks for the info. He hasn't been there in a good 10 years or so. Perhaps it was better back then?
Not really, it did switch locations in the past 15 years. I'd say it's more a place people who grew up in Forest Hill/Eg West have a nostalgia for. But, my family has never been huge fans of it. If anything, we miss China House as delivery of Chinese food in this area has slipped over the past 20 years.

I'd say it's more a local spot that just happened to have a ton of money around it, and offered decent to good USDA Prime steaks and seafood. So, it was easier to take the kids to, or even walk to then trying to go to say Hy's or Barbarians (or the many other steakhouses that have popped up over the past 20 years). Similar to say Ferraro's or 7 numbers, good if you want to stay in the neighborhood, but nothing special. To be honest, I would say the economic crunch that has hit Gen Xer and Millenials as they move into their 30's due to rising housing prices and cost of living has probably hurt the more residential neighborhoods when it comes to high-end offerings. Yes, there is a 1 star Michelin spot on Mount Plesant now, but most of the high-end stuff around Yonge and Eg (North 44/Centro) has been replaced by mid market in my lifetime.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I stumbled on an article earlier this year that said that this beer was now available at the lcbo for the first time in 7 years! Made in Quebec, this is supposed to be one of the highest rated beers in the entire world. I'd never heard of it, bought a couple of cans, loved it, bought about 8 more cans and put them aside for Christmas figuring maybe we won't be able to buy this again for another 7 years, or maybe never, who knows?

Surprise - it's in the stores again. I ordered another 12 cans yesterday online, not sure how long it will take for it to be sold out and I have no idea if it will be available more often, or perhaps never again but if you're a fan of the style, go get some while you can.

The price is 5.05 for a 473 ml can, 9.5% alcohol content. Is it worth it? Hell yeah!!

View attachment 779252
big thanks for the recommendation, the beers went over like gangbusters yesterday, my nephews raved about how good the beers were, apparently it’s their new favourite………

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
big thanks for the recommendation, the beers went over like gangbusters yesterday, my nephews raved about how good the beers were, apparently it’s their new favourite………
That's great, I'm glad they liked it. It's absolutely my favorite as well!

Reactions: rumman

luthar

Nov 29, 2011
Mtl
Hi! We decided to go on a road trip to Toronto yesterday and I was asked by my youngest if there was hockey on Wednesday and if we could go to the game. Just my luck, it's the battle of Ontario.

Beside Ticketmaster, is there any possibility to get some elsewhere at reasonable price? I'm used to Montreal/Ottawa ticket pricing...didn't expect this type of pricing :D

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Hi! We decided to go on a road trip to Toronto yesterday and I was asked by my youngest if there was hockey on Wednesday and if we could go to the game. Just my luck, it's the battle of Ontario.

Beside Ticketmaster, is there any possibility to get some elsewhere at reasonable price? I'm used to Montreal/Ottawa ticket pricing...didn't expect this type of pricing :D
I wish I could say different for you, but not really probably. Leafs/Sens on the holiday break, that’s a hot ticket. This market is brutal.

There’s a selling Leafs tics thread on this board that’s a long shot if you wanted to try, but other then a scalper 20 minutes after game time, and even that’s kinda doubtful, it’s just gonna be stupid expensive to get.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
If your an east end local. Someone was telling me good things about Groove Bars wings, and I'm always on the hunt for the best possible wings (reigning city champ is Crown and Dragon in my eyes).
Heading to Groove Bar later this afternoon. Way too many to choose from dude!

1000014610.png

luthar

Nov 29, 2011
Mtl
I wish I could say different for you, but not really probably. Leafs/Sens on the holiday break, that’s a hot ticket. This market is brutal.

There’s a selling Leafs tics thread on this board that’s a long shot if you wanted to try, but other then a scalper 20 minutes after game time, and even that’s kinda doubtful, it’s just gonna be stupid expensive to get.

Hi! Thanks for the help, will see what can be done with the scalpers or other sources.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Opinion? Pretty sure I'm going with some friends for dinner tonight, then moving on to Only Cafe.
I ended up getting a dry rub (sour cream and onion) with a side of onion rings. Then I also got a pound of sauced ones as well. (Hot Buffalo Sauce)

Also had a pint of Spearhead Hawaiian IPA and their Northern amber ale.

1000014620.jpg

1000014625.jpg
1000014626.jpg

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I ended up getting a dry rub (sour cream and onion) with a side of onion rings. Then I also got a pound of sauced ones as well. (Hot Buffalo Sauce)

Also had a pint of Spearhead Hawaiian IPA and their Northern amber ale.

View attachment 792606
View attachment 792607View attachment 792608
Yeah, I went on Friday night. I don't think it was quite as good as Crown and Dragon, a bit below Duffs too. But, a great local option for Eastenders and I'd absolute would go back. With a group of friends we got Hot Honey, Hot Buffalo and regular buffalo, and some of the Cajun fries. We all got the Haiwian IPA too. Played some pool too.

Ended up going to the Only after, but only stayed for one drink. Was just too packed to enjoy it with a group of 4. Ended up going to the newly renovated VIP Billiards at Logan and Danforth. Man, have they turned that place around. With so many pool halls disappearing over the years (I can think of atleast 2 Mid-town has lost in the past 15 years), glad to see a place that looked to be thriving. I'd absolutely would go back there.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Yeah, I went on Friday night. I don't think it was quite as good as Crown and Dragon, a bit below Duffs too. But, a great local option for Eastenders and I'd absolute would go back. With a group of friends we got Hot Honey, Hot Buffalo and regular buffalo, and some of the Cajun fries. We all got the Haiwian IPA too. Played some pool too.

Ended up going to the Only after, but only stayed for one drink. Was just too packed to enjoy it with a group of 4. Ended up going to the newly renovated VIP Billiards at Logan and Danforth. Man, have they turned that place around. With so many pool halls disappearing over the years (I can think of atleast 2 Mid-town has lost in the past 15 years), glad to see a place that looked to be thriving. I'd absolutely would go back there.
Great to hear. I know the owner of VIP but haven’t been there in years. Way back in the day I remember the old creaking floors. They actually also own the building there and Tim Horton’s was paying them rent for years when they were in there on the main floor.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Great to hear. I know the owner of VIP but haven’t been there in years. Way back in the day I remember the old creaking floors. They actually also own the building there and Tim Horton’s was paying them rent for years when they were in there on the main floor.
My friend was telling me it's new ownership (but you would know better than me). I went in April, and this is my first time since. They did massive reno's to the place. Moved the bar. Had atleast 3 bartenders on staff (never remember seeing more than one bartender there before). Added pretty much all the new bells and whistles (new sub-zero taps, Heinaken mug freezer, etc), put in a ridiculous amount of flat screens, added air hockey, a basketball style arcade shooting game and a foosball table. They may have also resurfaced all the tables, but not 100% on that.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
My friend was telling me it's new ownership (but you would know better than me). I went in April, and this is my first time since. They did massive reno's to the place. Moved the bar. Had atleast 3 bartenders on staff (never remember seeing more than one bartender there before). Added pretty much all the new bells and whistles (new sub-zero taps, Heinaken mug freezer, etc), put in a ridiculous amount of flat screens, added air hockey, a basketball style arcade shooting game and a foosball table. They may have also resurfaced all the tables, but not 100% on that.
Oh wow. That is a huge change. I know the family owned that building for decades and Tim Horton’s was even paying them rent. I’ll have to check it out for sure.

The Only is always busy on weekends but I love their beer options and that back patio in the summer.

I’ll be back at Groove Bar next Friday with a bunch of buddies and then The Only after that.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Oh wow. That is a huge change. I know the family owned that building for decades and Tim Horton’s was even paying them rent. I’ll have to check it out for sure.

The Only is always busy on weekends but I love their beer options and that back patio in the summer.

I’ll be back at Groove Bar next Friday with a bunch of buddies and then The Only after that.
Okay, so I looked it up. The billiards spot used to be called Billiards Academy, and VIP Billiards previously just had a location on College and one deep in North York (like Don Mills and Finch). Seems in the past 6 months they got control of that Danforth spot, and rebranded it.

Reactions: BallardEra

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Okay, so I looked it up. The billiards spot used to be called Billiards Academy, and VIP Billiards previously just had a location on College and one deep in North York (like Don Mills and Finch). Seems in the past 6 months they got control of that Danforth spot, and rebranded it.
That's very interesting. I know Angelo's father owns that building so my guess is they decided to retire the business and rent the space to VIP Billiards.

I'll have to check it out for sure.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
What's up Toronto?

I'll be in town in February for two nights, and the Leafs are playing. There is one ticket remaining in the wheelchair section (I am in a wheelchair dont worry lol), right now the price is about 180$ (on ticketmaster), I'm wondering if there is any kind of dynamic pricing for the Leafs game?

Because a sole ticket for a thursday night game against the Coyotes, I'm thinking maybe no one buy it soon and the price could drop maybe one week before the game?

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
What's up Toronto?

I'll be in town in February for two nights, and the Leafs are playing. There is one ticket remaining in the wheelchair section (I am in a wheelchair dont worry lol), right now the price is about 180$ (on ticketmaster), I'm wondering if there is any kind of dynamic pricing for the Leafs game?

Because a sole ticket for a thursday night game against the Coyotes, I'm thinking maybe no one buy it soon and the price could drop maybe one week before the game?
I don’t think there is, if we are talking an actual sold by the Leafs ticket as opposed to the resale market, face value is just going to be face value. Someone will buy it, I’m sure it’s the same in Montreal.

Obviously the resale market would be subject to dynamic pricing, but my opinion I’d just lock it down for an accessible seat rather than gamble on the resale market for a particularly limited seating option.

Reactions: De Montreal

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
Will be in Toronto mid to late April, what bars do you guys recommend watching playoff games at?

Any NY or Rangers specific bars in the city?

Is public transport to and from Pearson feasible or should I just Uber it?

Thanks!

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Will be in Toronto mid to late April, what bars do you guys recommend watching playoff games at?

Any NY or Rangers specific bars in the city?

Is public transport to and from Pearson feasible or should I just Uber it?

Thanks!
I would say real sports bar is one of the best as far as watching sports. They have so many massive TVs and obviously cater to that type of viewing. That's the bar that's connected to / right next door to scotiabank arena.

As far as Rangers specific, i don't know of any NY specific bars. I have lived here all my life and i have never heard of one but then again i have never looked for one.

Public transit from pearson is way better now since they introduced the Union pearson express. It's a train that runs direct from pearson right downtown. very affordable and no traffic to deal with. With the highway construction that's about to start end of March, i would not even think about another method of getting to and from the airport.

Reactions: FoxyClean

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I would say real sports bar is one of the best as far as watching sports. They have so many massive TVs and obviously cater to that type of viewing. That's the bar that's connected to / right next door to scotiabank arena.

As far as Rangers specific, i don't know of any NY specific bars. I have lived here all my life and i have never heard of one but then again i have never looked for one.

Public transit from pearson is way better now since they introduced the Union pearson express. It's a train that runs direct from pearson right downtown. very affordable and no traffic to deal with. With the highway construction that's about to start end of March, i would not even think about another method of getting to and from the airport.
Construction, any details? I always drive in for games.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Construction, any details? I always drive in for games.
Yeah gardiner is going to down to 2 lanes (both directions). It's supposed to last multiple years. 2027 i think but i might be off on the completion date.

It's going to be a back breaker i feel.
It's already bad enough for people in my area (east end) since they took down the gardiner access at the DVP. ugh.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yeah gardiner is going to down to 2 lanes (both directions). It's supposed to last multiple years. 2027 i think but i might be off on the completion date.
Shit, I hate taking the train in. Starting when?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad