Visiting Toronto?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'm not very good at describing what beer tastes like, not sure what else I can say besides it has a bitter, coffee flavor which I love. I only drank a couple of cans back in the spring and I just remember that I loved it, probably the best beer I've ever had. I was going to wait for Christmas but I might crack open a can tonight, we'll see.

Here's a link to Beer Advocate which is where I always go when I want to see whether or not a beer is worth trying. It has a 98 rating there which makes it one of the best beers in the entire world according to the community. This excerpt from there describes it pretty well IMO.

Péché Mortel is an intensely black and dense stout in which coffee is infused during the brewing process. The result is a strong beer where prominent roasted flavours coalesce with a powerful taste of coffee. Once fermentation is complete, the beer is aged several months in bourbon oak barrels, which imparts some vanilla and woody aromas as well as bourbon flavours.

And this is the article I stumbled upon in the spring, I'd never heard of this beer before that.
Just picked up a six pack for my nephew’s stocking, he had better have a long stocking…….

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Anyone here have tickets for tonight and can’t go? Figured I’d ask here before Ticketmaster/scalper

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Just picked up a six pack for my nephew’s stocking, he had better have a long stocking…….
I decided that Christmas is almost here so what the hell, poured myself a pint for the 3rd period.

It's as good as I remembered it. I would only say don't drink it too cold, it's probably meant to be drunk at cellar temperature or something, same as red wine. So if you take one out of the fridge, pour it and let it sit for maybe 20 minutes or so before drinking. Or maybe have a taste first, and then taste again in 20 minutes, you will notice a big difference.
:cheers:

Peche_Mortel.jpg

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I decided that Christmas is almost here so what the hell, poured myself a pint for the 3rd period.

It's as good as I remembered it. I would only say don't drink it too cold, it's probably meant to be drunk at cellar temperature or something, same as red wine. So if you take one out of the fridge, pour it and let it sit for maybe 20 minutes or so before drinking. Or maybe have a taste first, and then taste again in 20 minutes, you will notice a big difference.
:cheers:

View attachment 780664
Thanks for the review, I’m sure it will be a hit. By the way was there a widg in the can?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Also wanted to plug the east side of Danforth from Donlands to Coxwell. After Left Field brewery I'll hit up "The Wren" or "The Dylan Bar" for some good beer options and food.

Also lots of Ethiopian restaurants to choose from on that strip and "Sala" for Thai is a must visit as well.

"The Only Cafe" is also a must visit for beer lovers.
If your an east end local. Someone was telling me good things about Groove Bars wings, and I'm always on the hunt for the best possible wings (reigning city champ is Crown and Dragon in my eyes).

Reactions: BallardEra

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
If your an east end local. Someone was telling me good things about Groove Bars wings, and I'm always on the hunt for the best possible wings (reigning city champ is Crown and Dragon in my eyes).
Very interesting. Didn’t even know it was there and just looked it up and the wings as well as the other food look great.

Appreciate the info!

Reactions: 93LEAFS

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Very interesting. Didn’t even know it was there and just looked it up and the wings as well as the other food look great.

Appreciate the info!
If you check it out give me a review, I want to check it out, just haven't got there yet. So far the best wings I've had in the East End are Green Dragon at Kingston and Warden I believe. I'm mid-town but most of my close friends live east of the Don Valley, so I'm out there regularly.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
If you check it out give me a review, I want to check it out, just haven't got there yet. So far the best wings I've had in the East End are Green Dragon at Kingston and Warden I believe. I'm mid-town but most of my close friends live east of the Don Valley, so I'm out there regularly.
Sounds like a plan my friend. Will definitely get out there at some point this month.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Whats your ranking on Drums N Flats, Bistro, and Duffs out of curiosity. Mid-town as well, also always looking out for good wings.

People are down on Bistro it seems like but the last time there for me I thought they remain elite. I'm a heavy on spicy as hell as an orderer.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Whats your ranking on Drums N Flats, Bistro, and Duffs out of curiosity. Mid-town as well, also always looking out for good wings.

People are down on Bistro it seems like but the last time there for me I thought they remain elite. I'm a heavy on spicy as hell as an orderer.
Duffs is my #2 in the city. Although, I feel they've slipped at bit in recent years, and passed the torch of best in the city to Crown and Dragon (which is easily accessable for me, just walk to the Yonge line and go a couple stops south then walk two blocks south from Rosedale).

Haven't tried Drums and Flats.

I also grew up midtown (more near Avenue and Eg), I haven't gone to Bistro since it moved. I always have an affinity for the style they had back in the day, but I don't know if like St. Louis they changed their style. St. Louis I feel has really gone down hill in recent years, I ate their trademark style all the time (it was sort of a dry wing but spiced). The amount of time I've spent on that St. Louis patio though is insane. I'm in my 30's now, but it was always the go to watering hole for some beer and wings in my younger years (Duffs is a bit more inconvenient, and also more of a family friendly institution). If your new to the area, St. Louis and Bistro for years had the same owner (no idea since St. Louis became a chain though.

Since your mid-town, I'll say this, the best delivery wings I've had in the area are Louie's Classico. I think they source the same jumbo wings that Duffs and Crown and Dragon source.

I will say food related, but not wing related, the place I'm by far the most loyal to in mid-town is Burger Shack, legit half the staff knows my name and a ton know my exact order including toppings. I also have a soft spot for Belly Busters.

Last edited:

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Bistro was some kind of partnership, and then one split off and did St. Louis. I think like most that go and franchise it, it just goes downhill gradually as you dilute the product.

Burger Priest is a good example, ten years ago at Coxwell and Queen you could get the best burger in the city, short of maybe Allens on the Danforth, but today you can hit Burger Priest probably at worst within 30 minutes anywhere in the GTA, and you'll get a decent burger, but not elite anymore. But good.

Burger Shack is great burger, yes, old school burger.

Are you referencing the St. Louis at Yonge and Lola? Is that the original break off location?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Bistro was some kind of partnership, and then one split off and did St. Louis. I think like most that go and franchise it, it just goes downhill gradually as you dilute the product.

Burger Priest is a good example, ten years ago at Coxwell and Queen you could get the best burger in the city, short of maybe Allens on the Danforth, but today you can hit Burger Priest probably at worst within 30 minutes anywhere in the GTA, and you'll get a decent burger, but not elite anymore. But good.

Burger Shack is great burger, yes, old school burger.

Are you referencing the St. Louis at Yonge and Lola? Is that the original break off location?
St. Louis at Yonge and Lola is the original, so I would guess the original break off location. It was sort of weird to see it turn into a big chain, and the quality has gone downhill since. Still a fine place to have a beer and some okay wings on a patio on a summer day. I think they started making more conventional style wings as they expanded.

Yeah, Burger Priest has gone down hill since Cara bought it. Still passable, but in a City like Toronto, so many cool one off or small chains to try, I rarely go anymore.

I totally agree on Allen's. I'm loyal to Shack, but for a more premium burger give me a medium rare burger at Allen's with Peameal bacon (we've actually done our annual fantasy football league meeting/trophy handover at Allen's for 3 consecutive years). For the newer Smash Burger style, I think Holy Chuck probably does it the best, but Rudy's is also really good.

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
I posted this in the OT thread as well- can anyone recommend a parking lot/service by the airport?

There are a few, parknfly, skyway, etc.

Some of the reviews are sketchy. Thanks

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Duffs is my #2 in the city. Although, I feel they've slipped at bit in recent years, and passed the torch of best in the city to Crown and Dragon (which is easily accessable for me, just walk to the Yonge line and go a couple stops south then walk two blocks south from Rosedale).
I have to agree. A few of us have noticed the drop off at Duff's. Still solid but not quite what it used to be.

I will say food related, but not wing related, the place I'm by far the most loyal to in mid-town is Burger Shack, legit half the staff knows my name and a ton know my exact order including toppings. I also have a soft spot for Belly Busters.
Another two great spots. I grew up very close to Square Boy on the Danforth so I place that over Burger Shack.

Allen's is definitely up there with the best burgers in town.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I have to agree. A few of us have noticed the drop off at Duff's. Still solid but not quite what it used to be.

Another two great spots. I grew up very close to Square Boy on the Danforth so I place that over Burger Shack.

Allen's is definitely up there with the best burgers in town.
Toronto is filled with people loyal to their local retro burger spots. You got Shack in mid-town (my spot), Square Boys on Danforth, Apache in Etobicoke, Goldenstar in Thorn Hill, Johnny's and Real McCoy's in Scarbrough. What you loyal to tends to be what you grew up in proximity too. Although I will say, when Burger Shack got a shout out from Ray and Gord a few years back I was beyond hyped. I knew Hyman hit it fairly often. Plus I've seen other NHL types there like Kyprios, and Domi's. Pretty much a mid-town institution. I can't imagine what a chain would pay for a mid-game drop of their spot mid Leaf game.

I actually had to go to Burlington recently and stumbled into their version (Charcoal Pit) since it was across from my hotel, I'm not familiar with the 905 at all. Plus you got Webers on your way to cottage country and Barrie Burger near lake Simcoe. I've tried almost all of them except the two Scarbrough spots. At some point, I'll try them out. I do like how their is a friendly rivalry with neighborhoods on this.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Random question.
Home for the holidays. Anyone know the home style Italian joint that colaIacovo and sometimes o-dog refers to in the Woodbridge king city area.
Or can recommend a good similar place in that neck of the woods.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I know Tom Wilson lives nearby so wouldn't be shocked if he goes there too the odd time.
He's an NT kid (I believe he played NT until very late in his GTHL career) and his older brother went to high school with a bunch of kids I know. Lindros also plays NT all the time (he was renting it out for a private game with ex-nhlers or people who atleast played a high level for years. When the Leafs had an older team in the 90s/early 2000s a ton of them lived in Lawrence Park, and Sundin in Forest Hill . Now we have a younger team most of them are in downtown/king west area. And, most who buy houses tend to be in the western side of the city.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
He's an NT kid (I believe he played NT until very late in his GTHL career) and his older brother went to high school with a bunch of kids I know. Lindros also plays NT all the time (he was renting it out for a private game with ex-nhlers or people who atleast played a high level for years. When the Leafs had an older team in the 90s/early 2000s a ton of them lived in Lawrence Park, and Sundin in Forest Hill . Now we have a younger team most of them are in downtown/king west area. And, most who buy houses tend to be in the western side of the city.

Very true. I remember Darcy Tucker living near St Clair and Mt Pleasant. Used to see him, Gilmour and Kypreos the odd time at The Originals on Bayview.

I also used to see Kypreos at my gym in Leaside when he lived in the area and trained there. That rich dude with the goatee who always sits behind the Leafs bench went there too. He owned the very first Tesla I ever saw.

One time I saw Kypreos at Duffs Wings with his family and let his personal trainer Chris know just to break his balls.:laugh:

Reactions: Mr_Fun

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Very true. I remember Darcy Tucker living near St Clair and Mt Pleasant. Used to see him, Gilmour and Kypreos the odd time at The Originals on Bayview.

I also used to see Kypreos at my gym in Leaside when he lived in the area and trained there. That rich dude with the goatee who always sits behind the Leafs bench went there too. He owned the very first Tesla I ever saw.
Yeah, you used to see them around Centro or North 44 too. I haven't been to Originals in years, but in University that was my Tuesday night spot when back in town for the summer, and was pretty much was for most of the people in the mid-town circle (Private school kids, plus Northern, Lawrence, NT and Leaside kids).

But, yeah, those places I listed earlier are just local institutions. I mean hell, I believe Marc McKewans first big spot was North 44 (no longer there), and he wrote an article in the globe of Shack being his late night guilty pleasure.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Yeah, you used to see them around Centro or North 44 too. I haven't been to Originals in years, but in University that was my Tuesday night spot when back in town for the summer, and was pretty much was for most of the people in the mid-town circle (Private school kids, plus Northern, Lawrence, NT and Leaside kids).

But, yeah, those places I listed earlier are just local institutions. I mean hell, I believe Marc McKewans first big spot was North 44 (no longer there), and he wrote an article in the globe of Shack being his late night guilty pleasure.
Sadly "The Originals" shut down a couple of years ago.

I always liked McSorley's as well and we hit that up earlier this summer.

Lots of great spots in the city and I always loved that midtown part as well.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Sadly "The Originals" shut down a couple of years ago.

I always liked McSorley's as well and we hit that up earlier this summer.

Lots of great spots in the city and I always loved that midtown part as well.

Yeah, I don't really hit that Bayview strip anymore. Occasionally, I'll go and pick up Duff's or go for some wings there. I'm just west of Yonge off Chaplin. So, I tend to hit Eg West (which has been destroyed by Metrolinx, RIP Yitz's) and the Yonge strip. Just more convenient to go south by TTC than trying to get over to Bayview most of the time. Maybe if they ever figure out that LRT on Eg, I'll head down there more.

Plus most of my close friends are off the Green line now, so meeting in Yorkville or Yonge/Bloor area tends to be the most convenient.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Yeah, I don't really hit that Bayview strip anymore. Occasionally, I'll go and pick up Duff's or go for some wings there. I'm just west of Yonge off Chaplin. So, I tend to hit Eg West (which has been destroyed by Metrolinx, RIP Yitz's) and the Yonge strip. Just more convenient to go south by TTC than trying to get over to Bayview most of the time. Maybe if they ever figure out that LRT on Eg, I'll head down there more.

Plus most of my close friends are off the Green line now, so meeting in Yorkville or Yonge/Bloor area tends to be the most convenient.
Oh ya, I love Chaplin as I still use it to get to one of our training areas at Ridelle Ave.

I love hitting Granite Brewery from time to time as well. Yitz's was such a a great place too and I have another buddy who raves about the House of Chan steakhouse.

I definitely want to hit that up at some point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad