Visiting Toronto?

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Great bakery and their grocery store is small but jam packed with lots of stuff. Delicious. And the prices are reasonable.
Have you visited their cafe on Pape just north of the McDonald's on Cosburn?

Very nice spot too.

They used to lease the spot at the OG bakery for years and finally bought the property last year.

In the 1980s that corner was a Texaco gas station. When Serano's opened up in the 1990s they only had the north part of the building. Next to them was a dollar store and south of there was the Pizza Hut.

They eventually expanded over the years and took over the whole property.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Heading to a show this Friday at the Phoenix... (Sherbrone and just north or Carlton) havnt been in this area in a while, any bars nearby walking distance to warm up before the show? Or recommendations?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Heading to a show this Friday at the Phoenix... (Sherbrone and just north or Carlton) havnt been in this area in a while, any bars nearby walking distance to warm up before the show? Or recommendations?
We went here, STOUT IRISH PUB Cabbage Town, Toronto, Ontario last time we were at the Phoenix(pre-COVID) and it was great. Short walk to the venue.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Have you visited their cafe on Pape just north of the McDonald's on Cosburn?

Very nice spot too.

They used to lease the spot at the OG bakery for years and finally bought the property last year.

In the 1980s that corner was a Texaco gas station. When Serano's opened up in the 1990s they only had the north part of the building. Next to them was a dollar store and south of there was the Pizza Hut.

They eventually expanded over the years and took over the whole property.
Nope, didn't visit the Cafe and didn't know they had one until I drove by it on the way to the OG bakery.

I live in Halifax but was tipped off about Seranos. Their Greek deserts are bang on legit and comparable to Greece and New York. Love having a kataiffi with a frappe. Then lots of useful groceries. My Mom was thrilled with what I brought her and my wife grabbed a $10 bag of Oregano chips lol that she got hooked on when we were in Greece.

Anyway I'm glad they ship and for sure will be putting in an order for Xmas.

Reactions: BallardEra

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Nope, didn't visit the Cafe and didn't know they had one until I drove by it on the way to the OG bakery.

I live in Halifax but was tipped off about Seranos. Their Greek deserts are bang on legit and comparable to Greece and New York. Love having a kataiffi with a frappe. Then lots of useful groceries. My Mom was thrilled with what I brought her and my wife grabbed a $10 bag of Oregano chips lol that she got hooked on when we were in Greece.

Anyway I'm glad they ship and for sure will be putting in an order for Xmas.
Glad to hear man. Would love to get out east some time as I've heard great stuff about the people and the places out your way.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Habs fan coming in peace. I will be taking in 3 Jays games late May '24. Asking some places to visit in Toronto?

Also, 4 of us have tickets in lower bowl, 129-130. Are these good seats?

Staying 5 nights at Marriott? Did my buddy pick good hotel?

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Habs fan coming in peace. I will be taking in 3 Jays games late May '24. Asking some places to visit in Toronto?

Cant go wrong with a Marriott. Try doing a hop on/ hop off type of bus tour. Otherwise this thread has a lot of good suggestions.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Playoffs will still be on, tickets will be expensive though.
Arena is just down the street from the Dome.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021

Yes. anything in the lower bowl are good seats.

Same thing with hotels... pretty much anything central is a good hotel as you can walk around a lot and down town toronto is a very walking friendly city. You can get around just about anywhere in a 30-40 minute walk.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Curious, what type of food are you into? I will say if your in that neighborhood/area, I'd make the trip to St. Lawrence market, and get a Peameal Bacon sandwich at Carousel Bakery.

Like, what do you guys want to do? Like, you want the nightlife, you want fine dining or more casual spots etc. Hope you enjoy the city when you do come. I've always had a great time in MTL (I wish we had a Schwartz's equivalent).

denverdevil

Nov 13, 2007
Denver, CO
Hey Toronto! Currently planning on visiting in February 2024 with my 13 year old son. I think we'll stay in the immediate area of the stadium, do the HHOF and game on February 17th and then some other touristy things on the 18th.

- Would love suggestions for any good, moderately priced restaurants in the area. We're open to really any type of food, but would like a "Toronto" experience whatever that could mean.
- Also happy to hear suggestions on a section in the stadium. Currently looking at few options like this lower (https://seatgeek.com/toronto-maple-...abank-arena-4/nhl/6076559#listing=agktlE5aMwr) and upper (https://seatgeek.com/toronto-maple-...abank-arena-4/nhl/6076559#listing=w3JseqYV48R), but if there are "definitely don't sit in this section" type of suggestions, would love to hear them. I think ~$250USD/ticket would be top of the budget.

We're really excited to visit and experience Toronto and a Leafs game!

Last edited:

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
Hey Toronto! Currently planning on visiting in February 2024 with my 13 year old son. I think we'll stay in the immediate area of the stadium, do the HHOF and game on February 17th and then some other touristy things on the 18th.

- Would love suggestions for any good, moderately priced restaurants in the area. We're open to really any type of food, but would like a "Toronto" experience whatever that could mean.
- Also happy to hear suggestions on a section in the stadium. Currently looking at few options like this lower (https://seatgeek.com/toronto-maple-...abank-arena-4/nhl/6076559#listing=agktlE5aMwr) and upper (https://seatgeek.com/toronto-maple-...abank-arena-4/nhl/6076559#listing=w3JseqYV48R), but if there are "definitely don't sit in this section" type of suggestions, would love to hear them. I think ~$250USD/ticket would be top of the budget.

Foods invented in Toronto:

- Peameal Bacon Sandwich - St. Lawrence Market is the place to go for this.
- Sushi Pizza - Despite the name, it's not literally sushi on pizza. It's sushi on top of a fried rice cracker and cut into slices like a pizza. It's much smaller than a pizza as well. You can find this at a lot of Toronto area sushi restaurants.
- Not invented here but Toronto is widely considered to be the Jamaican patty capital of the world. It's a ubiquitous street food here which I always found kinda odd because it's only ubiquitous in Toronto.
- Butter chicken roti - It's a Carribean style roti but filled with Indian style butter chicken. Fusion of West and East Indian cuisine.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

No really bad seats other than the few obstructed ones, they have a small 'x' beside the section/seat number.
I've sat all over the building but my favourite seats are the end Blues.

Reactions: denverdevil

denverdevil

Nov 13, 2007
Denver, CO
Foods invented in Toronto:

- Peameal Bacon Sandwich - St. Lawrence Market is the place to go for this.
- Sushi Pizza - Despite the name, it's not literally sushi on pizza. It's sushi on top of a fried rice cracker and cut into slices like a pizza. It's much smaller than a pizza as well. You can find this at a lot of Toronto area sushi restaurants.
- Not invented here but Toronto is widely considered to be the Jamaican patty capital of the world. It's a ubiquitous street food here which I always found kinda odd because it's only ubiquitous in Toronto.
- Butter chicken roti - It's a Carribean style roti but filled with Indian style butter chicken. Fusion of West and East Indian cuisine.
This is great, thanks so much!
No really bad seats other than the few obstructed ones, they have a small 'x' beside the section/seat number.
I've sat all over the building but my favourite seats are the end Blues.
Awesome, thanks!

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Yeah, HHOF is right near the arena, so are CN Tower and Ripley's Aquarium (13 year old could love it or have no interest). There is a big arcade/restaurant/bar called Rec Room right across from Skydome that could be fun to kill some time at. The ROM can be pretty cool and is very close by Subway (just take it like 4 or 5 stops to Museum station), it has a massive world renowned dinosaur fossil collection. It's also next to Yorkville which is a very trendy/wealthy area with a lot of top restaurants.

As for restaurants. Toronto outside of peameal bacon sandwich and maybe the veal sandwich from California sandwich, we don't really have a renowned unique food. It's not like say Philly where there is the famous cheesesteak or NYC with Pizza, Pastrami, etc. What makes Toronto cool in a dining sense is that due to our multiculturalism, we have a ton of great ethnic restaurants. So, if there is a certain type of cuisine you like it is generally very well represented. I'd say the biggest groups though would be Chinese, Indian, Jamaican/Caribbean, Korean, etc. Compared to most American cities the only thing we probably lack on is Mexican food (even if there are strong ones), but very few cities in the world can compete on how diverse are options are (in North America only NYC and LA probably approach it, maybe Chicago and SF) from the high-end to hole in the wall gems.

To be honest, most of the places I love and would recommend are sort of cheaper hole in the wall type places that do one or two things really well. Near the SBA there are a ton of higher-end steakhouses and quite a few chains. I wouldn't strongly recommend the food, but if you want a huge sports bar type experience Real Sports right next to the arena to watch the game. It's typical bar food, and a bit on the pricier side for that, but it has a great set up to relax and watch sports.

denverdevil

Nov 13, 2007
Denver, CO
To be honest, most of the places I love and would recommend are sort of cheaper hole in the wall type places that do one or two things really well. Near the SBA there are a ton of higher-end steakhouses and quite a few chains.
Thanks so much for your detailed response! I'd love to hear a few of these specific recommendations.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
For the carnivores out there you can’t go wrong with the Black Angus steak house in the Islington/Bloor area, everything a old steak house should be and affordable compared to the competition……..

Reactions: kb

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I stumbled on an article earlier this year that said that this beer was now available at the lcbo for the first time in 7 years! Made in Quebec, this is supposed to be one of the highest rated beers in the entire world. I'd never heard of it, bought a couple of cans, loved it, bought about 8 more cans and put them aside for Christmas figuring maybe we won't be able to buy this again for another 7 years, or maybe never, who knows?

Surprise - it's in the stores again. I ordered another 12 cans yesterday online, not sure how long it will take for it to be sold out and I have no idea if it will be available more often, or perhaps never again but if you're a fan of the style, go get some while you can.

The price is 5.05 for a 473 ml can, 9.5% alcohol content. Is it worth it? Hell yeah!!

peche_mortel.PNG

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I stumbled on an article earlier this year that said that this beer was now available at the lcbo for the first time in 7 years! Made in Quebec, this is supposed to be one of the highest rated beers in the entire world. I'd never heard of it, bought a couple of cans, loved it, bought about 8 more cans and put them aside for Christmas figuring maybe we won't be able to buy this again for another 7 years, or maybe never, who knows?

Surprise - it's in the stores again. I ordered another 12 cans yesterday online, not sure how long it will take for it to be sold out and I have no idea if it will be available more often, or perhaps never again but if you're a fan of the style, go get some while you can.

The price is 5.05 for a 473 ml can, 9.5% alcohol content. Is it worth it? Hell yeah!!

View attachment 779252

I'll add that to my shopping list

Reactions: Gary Nylund

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

View attachment 779252
How about a review? My nephew likes dark beers, most have widgits in the can, would this be a good selection for him? I’m not up on beer these days, I only drink low carb beer when I do drink beer so no idea……….

Reactions: kb

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
How about a review? My nephew likes dark beers, most have widgits in the can, would this be a good selection for him? I’m not up on beer these days, I only drink low carb beer when I do drink beer so no idea……….
I'm not very good at describing what beer tastes like, not sure what else I can say besides it has a bitter, coffee flavor which I love. I only drank a couple of cans back in the spring and I just remember that I loved it, probably the best beer I've ever had. I was going to wait for Christmas but I might crack open a can tonight, we'll see.

Here's a link to Beer Advocate which is where I always go when I want to see whether or not a beer is worth trying. It has a 98 rating there which makes it one of the best beers in the entire world according to the community. This excerpt from there describes it pretty well IMO.

Péché Mortel is an intensely black and dense stout in which coffee is infused during the brewing process. The result is a strong beer where prominent roasted flavours coalesce with a powerful taste of coffee. Once fermentation is complete, the beer is aged several months in bourbon oak barrels, which imparts some vanilla and woody aromas as well as bourbon flavours.

And this is the article I stumbled upon in the spring, I'd never heard of this beer before that.

Reactions: rumman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad