OT: Visiting Toronto

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
=wulfio;73048747]-5 is beautiful. Try playing pond hockey in -20.

I'm a Mailman. Try spending 6 hrs a day walking around outside all winter…
:laugh:

Last edited:

thehumanpanda

Jul 31, 2010
Mega City, Ontario
My brother and I are thinking of heading to Toronto in November to check out the Islanders game. Last weekend was spent following the Isles to Chicago and Nashville, and we've already decided another trip is in order. We've been to a game in Montreal, so figured Toronto should be next! A few questions first.

I live in NYC, so I'm used to cold temperatures…but will the weather in late November be brutal in TO? I'm just nervous it will be too cold to walk around and check out the sights.

Speaking of sights, we'll be there for 3-4 days and so far the only things on the agenda are the game and HHOF. Other suggestions?

We were thinking of staying at the Harbour Castle…is that near a bunch of things to do/transportation/restaurants, or would you recommend a different hotel?

Do ticket prices tend to go down closer to the game or should the tix be purchased ASAP?

Thanks for any help!

Toronto in November is brutal brutal, it's so cold your saliva will freeze.

That's just a joke, Toronto is one of the warmest cities I've lived in, go to Edmonton or Regina for COLD.

You know most visitors to the city just stay around the downtown area, interestingly because those of us in the city that don't live downtown never go down there. (I haven't been down there since July, and before that sometime last spring. Rent a car and drive around the suburbs or Scarborough, it's cool. Lots of restaurants that you drive to outside of the downtown area.

And check out a Raptors game too, tix are cheap and the games are fun, Raps fans are generally way more chill than Leafs fans.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Do you have to wear the shorts in the winter?

Funny you should ask, some of us have this friendly competition, who will be the last one wearing shorts. 2 years ago I won, lasting until Dec 17th. There is this girl who went all winter in shorts, sort of. If it got to minus 10 or so she'd wear long pants but then if we got a day in January when the temps would get to about 0 she'd put the shorts back on.:shakehead: :help:

thehumanpanda

Jul 31, 2010
Mega City, Ontario
Funny you should ask, some of us have this friendly competition, who will be the last one wearing shorts. 2 years ago I won, lasting until Dec 17th. There is this girl who went all winter in shorts, sort of. If it got to minus 10 or so she'd wear long pants but then if we got a day in January when the temps would get to about 0 she'd put the shorts back on.:shakehead: :help:

The job is not worth pnamonia, but those long pants on today son!

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The job is not worth pnamonia, but those long pants on today son!

Long pants are a psychological thing. Not many letter carriers wear thermal long johns or snowpants, it's just too hard to walk allday in them. Almost everyone just wears the long pants. I ask you now, take a look at your pants the cotton is pretty thin. Is there some magic insulating factor in the 1/16th of an inch or thinner material? if so we should all insulate our houses with it.:laugh:. No the pants don't trap that much body heat, if they did there would be no need for blankets and quilts everyone would be just fine with a sheet and living in a tent.

Another way to look at it, when the temps are single digits or colder, step outside with a short sleeve shirt, then step out wearing only a longsleeve shirt. How much warmer would you feel.

Last edited:

thehumanpanda

Jul 31, 2010
Mega City, Ontario
Long pants are a psychological thing. Not many letter carriers wear thermal long johns or snowpants, it's just too hard to walk allday in them. Almost everyone just wears the long pants. I ask you now, take a look at your pants the cotton is pretty thin. Is there some magic insulating factor in the 1/16th of an inch or thinner material? if so we should all insulate our houses with it.:laugh:. No the pants don't trap that much body heat, if they did there would be no need for blankets and quilts everyone would be just fine with a sheet and living in a tent.

Another way to look at it, when the temps are single digits or colder, step outside with a short sleeve shirt, then step out wearing only a longsleeve shirt. How much warmer would you feel.

Man when I was out west in Alberta and it was really cold, I could definitely feel the different between my different pants, the jeans trapped the heat a lot more, it's mostly the upper body that needs to be sheltered in the cold though, kind of like a block heater that just heats the engine in the freezing cold (westerners will know what I'm talking about)

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Man when I was out west in Alberta and it was really cold, I could definitely feel the different between my different pants, the jeans trapped the heat a lot more, it's mostly the upper body that needs to be sheltered in the cold though, kind of like a block heater that just heats the engine in the freezing cold (westerners will know what I'm talking about)

you're correct about the upper body. same idea when you see water skiers and people on water jets. when the water is cold they're wearing neoprene tops but still only bathing suits for bottoms. Cheers, go leafs go.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I went to college in Buffalo, and believe me, I do not miss those winters. I know Buff is pretty close to Toronto, just can't remember how the temps are in Nov. Guess I'll just come prepared with lots of layers! I'll be checking in two bags at the airport for four days :laugh:

It won't be cold in November.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
definitely avoid the CN tower, it seems so stupid to me i went there like 5 times as a kid and the only thing that was exciting was the glass floor.

It's kind of expensive for what you're getting (or lack of getting). Dont you even have to pay to climb the stairs to the top?

CN tower looks better from the outside at night

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

We used to have a mailman who grew up in northern Manitoba or northern Alberta (and by 'northern' I mean closure to the Arctic Circle than to civilization) and he would wear shorts here in the GTA long after any normal human being should have. Because of where he grew up our version of cold didn't bother him in the least.

themightyquinn

Jun 10, 2007
Toronto
definitely avoid the CN tower, it seems so stupid to me i went there like 5 times as a kid and the only thing that was exciting was the glass floor.

It's kind of expensive for what you're getting (or lack of getting). Dont you even have to pay to climb the stairs to the top?

I'd normally agree with this but she is looking for restaurants too. I think the restaurant up there is pretty good and the dinner reservation gives you a free ride up so no tourist prices. Then you are combining the best of both (a good meal + tourist attraction) with a great view over the city and lake as the restaurant slowly rotates.

Then after dinner after a few glasses of wine she can push her brother out on to the glass floor. :laugh:

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I'd normally agree with this but she is looking for restaurants too. I think the restaurant up there is pretty good and the dinner reservation gives you a free ride up so no tourist prices. Then you are combining the best of both (a good meal + tourist attraction) with a great view over the city and lake as the restaurant slowly rotates.

Then after dinner after a few glasses of wine she can push her brother out on to the glass floor. :laugh:

Restaurant up there is actually quite good from my experiences. Have a pretty solid Prix Fixe menu but when I've been there I've had a hell of a meal for $60ish dollars and that gets you access to everything in the tower too.

As a Toronto native I don't see the appeal of the CN Tower (only been twice in my 27 years) but I can definitely see the appeal for an outsider. Like...as an outsider I can't imagine the idea of ignoring or avoiding the tower.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Restaurant up there is actually quite good from my experiences. Have a pretty solid Prix Fixe menu but when I've been there I've had a hell of a meal for $60ish dollars and that gets you access to everything in the tower too.

As a Toronto native I don't see the appeal of the CN Tower (only been twice in my 27 years) but I can definitely see the appeal for an outsider. Like...as an outsider I can't imagine the idea of ignoring or avoiding the tower.

The food was terrible when I went but free entrance into the tower is a huge bonus.

thehumanpanda

Jul 31, 2010
Mega City, Ontario

Last time I went up the tower was in the 80's when I was a kid and I remember being something like $7 adult, $5 youth. All these Toronto landmarks are insanely expensive now and only out of towners or newcomers with money go into them.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Toronto in November is brutal brutal, it's so cold your saliva will freeze.

That's just a joke, Toronto is one of the warmest cities I've lived in, go to Edmonton or Regina for COLD.

You know most visitors to the city just stay around the downtown area, interestingly because those of us in the city that don't live downtown never go down there. (I haven't been down there since July, and before that sometime last spring. Rent a car and drive around the suburbs or Scarborough, it's cool. Lots of restaurants that you drive to outside of the downtown area.

And check out a Raptors game too, tix are cheap and the games are fun, Raps fans are generally way more chill than Leafs fans.
is this sarcasm?
Why would you recommend someone visiting Toronto to go to...Scarborough?

thehumanpanda

Jul 31, 2010
Mega City, Ontario
is this sarcasm?
Why would you recommend someone visiting Toronto to go to...Scarborough?

No it is not sarcasm. I grew up in Scarborough and I love Scarborough. And downtowners' condescending attitudes towards Scarborough and the outter suburbs is what makes me mad. Downtown Toronto is in many ways not the norm, the real Toronto is outside of it where the vast majority of people here live and make the city what it is.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
No it is not sarcasm. I grew up in Scarborough and I love Scarborough. And downtowners' condescending attitudes towards Scarborough and the outter suburbs is what makes me mad. Downtown Toronto is in many ways a bubble, the real Toronto is outside of it where the vast majority of people here live and make the city what it is.

I'm not a "downtowner", but i just don't get why anyone visiting the city would want to go visit scarborough? That's like visiting New York and going to Long Island lol. Scarborough is just strip malls and houses, I don't get what's so great about it. Although they do have some great West Indian and Chinese food.

thehumanpanda

Jul 31, 2010
Mega City, Ontario
I'm not a "downtowner", but i just don't get why anyone visiting the city would want to go visit scarborough? That's like visiting New York and going to Long Island lol. Scarborough is just strip malls and houses, I don't get what's so great about it. Although they do have some great West Indian and Chinese food.

Well there you go, West Indian and Chinese food. You want advertised Toronto, stay downtown and look at what's in the brochures. But that's just stuff that's sold to tourists. The real Toronto is outside of it, including the 905. I mean, I can't really say a visitor has really visited Toronto if they just stay downtown and look at all the tourists sites, that's not real Toronto for me. It's probably the same for any other city.

And yeah, actually when I was in New York I loved being in New Jersey and other areas outside of the downtown Manhaten, downtown area. The real New York is regular people not Sex in the City, and the real Toronto is Scarborough and strip malls and families and normal people.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Well there you go, West Indian and Chinese food. You want advertised Toronto, stay downtown and look at what's in the brochures. But that's just stuff that's sold to tourists. The real Toronto is outside of it, including the 905. I mean, I can't really say a visitor has really visited Toronto if they just stay downtown and look at all the tourists sites, that's not real Toronto for me. It's probably the same for any other city.

And yeah, actually when I was in New York I loved being in New Jersey and other areas outside of the downtown Manhaten, downtown area. The real New York is regular people not Sex in the City, and the real Toronto is Scarborough and strip malls and families and normal people.

Lol, I don't really agree with this. The real Toronto is outside of it? Umm, no. There is plenty of culture on unique things in actual Toronto that you can walk, enjoy yourself, interact with people. In Scarborough you drive to a strip mall and grab some food and then...? I would consider Old Toronto the "real Toronto" before Scarborough. Scarborough doesn't exist, without Toronto existing. It's just an extension of an actual city.

thehumanpanda

Jul 31, 2010
Mega City, Ontario
Lol, I don't really agree with this. The real Toronto is outside of it? Umm, no. There is plenty of culture on unique things in actual Toronto that you can walk, enjoy yourself, interact with people. In Scarborough you drive to a strip mall and grab some food and then...? I would consider Old Toronto the "real Toronto" before Scarborough. Scarborough doesn't exist, without Toronto existing. It's just an extension of an actual city.

outside of the downtown area that is, Scarborough is obviously in the city. Your opinion's your opinions. Let's just say I'm a real Torontonian and I've been downtown only a few times this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad