OT: Visiting Toronto

wulfio*

Just go to the brass rail. it's on Yonge St. If you've never been to a Canadian rippers before then you'll never want to go to one back in the US again.

oh you're a woman, nevermind then. lol

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Late November? Expect chilly temps, maybe rain, possibly light snow. Not exactly pleasant but nothing you should be unfamiliar with coming from New York.

Having done the drive myself, I'd recommend flying if you can afford it. The flight is like an hour, while the drive is like 8. There's no 'direct' route: Your going to be driving west, then north, then east, then north again, covering three different interstates to get to Buffalo/the Canadian border. If you do end up flying, unless there is a large difference in fares, go with Porter Airlines. They're a little unknown outside of Canada but have a great (and well-deserved, in my opinion) reputation here in Toronto. They service Newark and are based out of Toronto City Centre, which is a short (like 30 second) ferry ride from Downtown (shortest regular scheduled ferry in the world). It'll save you the $40+ cab ride from Pearson.

If you drive, in addition to the usual reminders when coming to Canada (Metric road signs, etc.), please pay special attention to streetcars. Toronto is the only North American city to make such an extensive use of streetcars (a total of 12 lines, 10 through Downtown) and most are not in dedicated right-of-ways, meaning you'll be sharing the road with them. You must stop behind the rear doors of a streetcar that is loading/unloading. It is both dangerous and illegal not to.

The Harbour Castle used to be where most NHL teams stayed when visiting Toronto. Don't know if they still do, or if newer hotels like the Le Germain at Maple Leaf Square has siphoned off their business. The entire area is under construction, which is something you may want to take into consideration. A new office tower is going up across the street and Queen's Quay is being completely overhauled. The latter has also led to the closure of the streetcar service along that stretch, meaning your about a 5 minute walk to the nearest subway station (Union, which is also undergoing a massive renovation).

In terms of what to do, obviously your going to be a little hampered by the weather. The CN Tower is an obvious attraction, as is the just-opened Ripley's Aquarium. The St. Lawrence Market was recently ranked as the best market in the world by National Geographic. The Distillery District consists of the largest collection of Victoria-Era Industrial Architecture on the Continent and now functions as an Arts/Entertainment/Cultural Hub. The Royal Ontario Museum is the largest and most prestigious in the country, as is the Art Galley of Ontario. City Hall and Queen's Park (Ontario's Legislature) are landmarks in their own right, as is the University of Toronto's campus and Yonge-Dundas Square. The city has the third-largest theatre district in the English-speaking world, behind London and New York. Fort York is the original fortifications of the city and open for tours. Kensington Market is an open-air market with tons of independent retailers. Casa Loma and Spadina House are former estates turned into Museums. Honest Ed's, a vintage discount retailer, is also quite the landmark. You might also like to check out Maple Leaf Gardens, which is now a recreation centre for a local university and grocery store, but has some cool markers of the past. Queen West, Yorkville, Spadina (Fashion District), Eaton Centre, Yorkdale are among the premier shopping districts. Then, there's the various ethnic neighbourhoods (Danforth: Greek town, College: Little Italy, Roncesvalles: Polish, Spadina: China Town, etc., etc., etc.). I'd also recommend a trip to Niagara Falls if possible, on the Canadian side of course. Really, it depends on what you like to see and do.

For restaurants, I'll recommend the obvious: California Sandwiches near College/Osmington. The original location, buried on a side street off College. Best Veal Sandwiches in the City.

Hope you enjoy your trip and maybe make way for a summer visit sometime. As with any cold-weather City, there's always so much more to do when the weather is warmer.

Jeffler

See You At Game 3
Dec 7, 2006
North York
theleafsnation.com
The above post is almost entirely spot on. Harbour Castle still gets used for away teams.

Dufferin / Castlefield is the best California Sandwiches though, fight me in real life if you disagree

Tdot Soldier

Apr 23, 2013
walking dist. to acc
The above post is almost entirely spot on. Harbour Castle still gets used for away teams.

Dufferin / Castlefield is the best California Sandwiches though, fight me in real life if you disagree

Ah, right by where the sidewalks go through what looks like sewer pipes, under the train tracks on Dufferin?.

cts830

Nov 18, 2010
NYC
Thanks again to everyone for your help, especially htpwn!

I do admit I did some googling and saw that visiting teams tend to stay at the Harbour Castle, and that's how I chose this hotel in particular. Then again, I also did research before other away games and don't think I have yet to stay at the same hotel as the team lol. It's one of those things where it would be cool if I saw them, but I also don't go around trying to track down Tavares, Grabner and crew. Hell, even if I saw a player, I probably wouldn't say anything. I spent 2 hours in a Cabo pool right near BizNasty and Taylor Pyatt and didn't say a word. Drunk/clothed me couldn't even say anything when I saw them at a club. Because of all the construction, would you guys suggest picking a different hotel, or it's not that bad?

I will definitely go to the aquarium and California Sandwiches! I'll also look into the other suggestions. I don't want to spend too much time focused on shopping, since ya know, I do live in Manhattan and we have a few stores...but I'll probably check out Yorkville, Queen St and another one or two shopping areas.

I'll start looking into game tickets once the flight is booked. Would rather spend a few extra bux now than scalp.

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
I am a bit jealous!

Enjoy it in Toronto, cts830! It's the best city I've ever been to!!! :yo: (and I've been to some great cities around the world, obviously especially in Europe ;))

Last time I've been to Toronto we stayed in the Hilton Hotel. It's in a pretty good area, I think. Not far away from the Eaton Centre and not too expensive.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Seriously? If you think weather in Toronto in November is too cold to handle the sights.. You got another thing coming :laugh:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Seriously? If you think weather in Toronto in November is too cold to handle the sights.. You got another thing coming :laugh:

Weather is a crap shoot. It could be 15c (60F) sunny and no wind. It could be -5c (25F) with a freaking blizzard going on. I'd bet on 8c (45F) cloudy.:laugh:

Avec Fromage*

I think the CN tower has been mentioned, but I would stay away. It's pricey and underwhelming.

Yorkville is where you'll find high end, expensive shops. Unless you want to throw around a lot of money, you might enjoy Queen St. West more, as has been mentioned.

Clubs are mainly located along Richmond Street / Peter Street, if that's your thing.

The guy who suggested Church and Wellesley did so as a joke. It's where Toronto's gay population is mainly situated.

If you like burgers, check out The Burger's Priest. They have three locations (one on Queen West) and it's probably the best burger in Toronto. At the ACC, I recommend The Doghouse.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Sights/activities: CN Tower, Distillery District/Steamwhistle Brewery tour, Eaton Center are 3 suggestions

Westin harbourfront castle is pretty solid. The ACC is within walking distance. You can pretty much get anywhere downtown using the subway (which is at Union station, also pretty close)

Tickets: Will go up closer to the game. Get them asap.

There is a ton to do. I'd recommend checking out the CN Tower, they have a restaurant too and for a first timer I think you'd like it especially being able to see the whole city while having a nice dinner. (Not sure about your price range though) Check out the distillery district, it's pretty close by Union Station. You can also go up Yonge Street and check out Dundas Square. We have an awesome night life so if you like to bar hop or go clubbing during your stay check out the entertainment district along Spadina/Front Street. There's a Jack Astors right by Union Station on Front Street/University if you're looking for somewhere close to have a few pints and a bite to eat before/after the game.. Warning..(might be busy before and after so make sure to get a spot early.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Yeah and it's already been mentioned but our weather can be pretty erratic. It could be -5 to -10 with snow or it could the other way and be 8-10 degrees with a bunch of sunshine, just be prepared for anything.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I live in NYC, so I'm used to cold temperatures…but will the weather in late November be brutal in TO?

Toronto weather isn't even brutal in January and February. Cold? Yes. Brutal? No. For brutal weather you'd have to go to Winnipeg or Saskatchewan.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
There is a ton to do. I'd recommend checking out the CN Tower, they have a restaurant too and for a first timer I think you'd like it especially being able to see the whole city while having a nice dinner. (Not sure about your price range though) Check out the distillery district, it's pretty close by Union Station. You can also go up Yonge Street and check out Dundas Square. We have an awesome night life so if you like to bar hop or go clubbing during your stay check out the entertainment district along Spadina/Front Street. There's a Jack Astors right by Union Station on Front Street/University if you're looking for somewhere close to have a few pints and a bite to eat before/after the game.. Warning..(might be busy before and after so make sure to get a spot early.

Agreed except for the Jack Astors part. Go to the Loose Moose instead. Great place to go to have pre-game drinks.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Toronto weather isn't even brutal in January and February. Cold? Yes. Brutal? No. For brutal weather you'd have to go to Winnipeg or Saskatchewan.

It's all about what you are used to.

I was wearing a t-shirt in India when it was ~20 C in December and the waiter looked at me like I was crazy to be dressed like that when it was so cold out. I told him it could be 20-30 degrees colder on that day where I live and he couldn't fathom what that would feel like.

Kyle Doobas*

If you're into hipstery beer like me, skip Steam Whistle and check out the Mill Street brewery, or C'est What on Front Street. Beyond that I'm not really sure as I'm only moving back to Toronto in a week after leaving there at the age of 10. :P

cts830

Nov 18, 2010
NYC
I went to college in Buffalo, and believe me, I do not miss those winters. I know Buff is pretty close to Toronto, just can't remember how the temps are in Nov. Guess I'll just come prepared with lots of layers! I'll be checking in two bags at the airport for four days :laugh:

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
If you're into hipstery beer like me, skip Steam Whistle and check out the Mill Street brewery, or C'est What on Front Street. Beyond that I'm not really sure as I'm only moving back to Toronto in a week after leaving there at the age of 10. :P

Did you just call Mill Street hipster beer? I'm not exactly sure you know what hipster beer is, but this is not it.

Distillery-mill-street-brewpub.jpg

Mill-Street-the-love-of-food2-jpg.jpg

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
+1 on steam whistle tour ! Lady behind bar at the end got me smashed then went to comicon when I visited haha.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
For restaurants, I'll recommend the obvious: California Sandwiches near College/Ossington. The original location, buried on a side street off College. Best Veal Sandwiches in the City.

yeh go here.

i'd also recommend checking out Chantecler in Parkdale. the main draw here is bo ssam: these incredible lettuce wrap platter with braised beef and pork shoulder that feed two for like $20, or they have a tasting menu that's more expensive but you have to reserve). never had the tasting menu but the wraps are some of the best food i've ever eaten.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad