OT: Visiting Toronto

cts830

Nov 18, 2010
NYC
My brother and I are thinking of heading to Toronto in November to check out the Islanders game. Last weekend was spent following the Isles to Chicago and Nashville, and we've already decided another trip is in order. We've been to a game in Montreal, so figured Toronto should be next! A few questions first.

I live in NYC, so I'm used to cold temperatures…but will the weather in late November be brutal in TO? I'm just nervous it will be too cold to walk around and check out the sights.

Speaking of sights, we'll be there for 3-4 days and so far the only things on the agenda are the game and HHOF. Other suggestions?

We were thinking of staying at the Harbour Castle…is that near a bunch of things to do/transportation/restaurants, or would you recommend a different hotel?

Do ticket prices tend to go down closer to the game or should the tix be purchased ASAP?

Thanks for any help!

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Sights/activities: CN Tower, Distillery District/Steamwhistle Brewery tour, Eaton Center are 3 suggestions

Westin harbourfront castle is pretty solid. The ACC is within walking distance. You can pretty much get anywhere downtown using the subway (which is at Union station, also pretty close)

Tickets: Will go up closer to the game. Get them asap.

Wheels

Aug 22, 2004
There's tons to do, totally depends on what you're interested in. Great museums (Royal Ontario Museum), art galleries, cool sort of kitchy/hipstery neighbourhoods and marketplaces (St. Lawrence, Kensington)...fancy restaurants or off-the-wall places.

If it was me, I would prefer somewhere a bit more central than the Westin, maybe the Eaton Chelsea (formerly Delta Chelsea) - neither is a four-star hotel but they'll both do the trick.

wulfio*

don't listen to these guys, they are sending you to the neighbourhoods filled with bums, pick pockets, and sketchy prostitutes.

You want to go to church & wellesley. All the best bars for after the game are there.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
don't listen to these guys, they are sending you to the neighbourhoods filled with bums, pick pockets, and sketchy prostitutes.

You want to go to church & wellesley. All the best bars for after the game are there.

Church and Wellesley actually has a lot of really fun bars.

Dylbot

Sep 10, 2009
There's pretty much everything in toronto so perhaps letting people know the kinds of things you're into would be helpful.

There are quite a few really good brewpubs in the city. C'est What downtown at front and Church and granite brewery at mount pleasant and eglinton are my two favourite. The latter will be a little bit of a trek from where you are but its not far from a subway.

There are also a lot of beautiful walking paths down in revines throughout the city. If you look up where the brick works is its sort of the centre of the trail network.

Just a couple of things I figured wouldn't be as common answers. They're also perhaps my two favourite aspects of the city.

Dylbot

Sep 10, 2009
Weather-wise is won't be terribly cold. Expect it to be around the low 30s. It might be a little wet though, but as long as you've got a good waterproof pair of shoes and coat it will be quite pleasant walking around.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Sights/activities: CN Tower, Distillery District/Steamwhistle Brewery tour, Eaton Center are 3 suggestions

Westin harbourfront castle is pretty solid. The ACC is within walking distance. You can pretty much get anywhere downtown using the subway (which is at Union station, also pretty close)

Tickets: Will go up closer to the game. Get them asap.

Lets go a little deeper.

Ripleys Aquarium just opened, went on Friday, it was AWESOME! there are a ton of get venues to check out live music depending what you are into. +1 for SteamWhistle, of and book now for the game night you are in town that isn't the Isles for Real Sports, no other sports bar compares. The ROM has Friday night Live, which can be really cool. I think it ends the Frida you are here.

For food I like Amsterdam which is right on the water, if you want to spend bit of money Lee or Buca are good spots.

There are far better hotels than the Westin (construction is killing the area. its nice, but for the same price you could stay at One King West, much nicer, or the Hilton, The Cosmopolitan is slightly more. There is also the Omni King or if you like history and small rooms, the Royal York. Westin is nice, but with all he construction in the area I would avoid it.

There is honestly so much to do in the city, just do a quick google search the week before to see hats happening.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
For food I like Amsterdam which is right on the water, if you want to spend bit of money Lee or Buca are good spots.

Went there for a work party during the summer. Fantastic atmosphere and food. Not to mention it's right on the lake. Went to the Jays game afterwards which is just a short walk.

themightyquinn

Jun 10, 2007
Toronto
Welcome to Toronto.

1) Weather will be similar to NYC, maybe 5 to 10 degrees F colder. Dress as you would at home.

2) Harbour Castle is a fine choice. You're down on the water (south of ACC) and it's not as busy as it is in the summer but it's walkable to pretty much anywhere interesting (typically north of the ACC). I know it also used to be the hotel for Visiting NHL Teams but I'm not sure if that is still the case? So you might see some Islanders wandering around in the lobby.

3) Ticket prices definitely won't be going down so get them when you can. But don't worry...they won't be outrageous because it's not a Saturday night and not a close rival/Canadian team/Original 6. You can wait until the end of the 1st and try to get a discount but you don't want to come all this way and miss a period to save $40 bucks do you?

4) Since you didn't say what you're interested in, would suggest this website which can be broken down into what's interesting: http://www.blogto.com/restaurants . That specific link is for restaurants but click the tabs for bars/pubs, etc. Just check out "city and culture" and "city guide" for detailed links. Needless to say, I would suggest the Hockey Hall Of Fame if you haven't been before.

5) If you're not driving, try Porter. It flies out of Newark and goes straight to our downtown airport and about 15 minutes from your hotel. They always have some deal going on usually every other week or so. Otherwise you're at Pearson and a full hour from your hotel. If you're driving, never mind the above.

Have fun and enjoy your trip!

cts830

Nov 18, 2010
NYC
I'm not looking to do anything in particular, besides check out the shopping scene (I'm a female). Figured I shouldn't be asking about that here lol…although I've already learned about Yorkville and Bloor St. Just looking for general things to do. Since I'll be with my brother, I won't really be doing the nightlife scene, just going to restaurants.

Glad to hear it won't be tooooo cold. Our other choice for a trip was to go to Cali and see them play the Kings and Ducks. Just felt Toronto was more of a hockey town (obviously) so it would be more fun. The weather was the only plus of going out west.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll definitely look into them!

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not looking to do anything in particular, besides check out the shopping scene (I'm a female). Figured I shouldn't be asking about that here lol…although I've already learned about Yorkville and Bloor St. Just looking for general things to do. Since I'll be with my brother, I won't really be doing the nightlife scene, just going to restaurants.

Glad to hear it won't be tooooo cold. Our other choice for a trip was to go to Cali and see them play the Kings and Ducks. Just felt Toronto was more of a hockey town (obviously) so it would be more fun. The weather was the only plus of going out west.

If you're into shopping definitely hit up the Eaton Centre, you can get there by subway from Union and you get off at Queen or Dundas stops (they're both in the mall). You should also check out Yonge and Dundas square, which is at the Dundas stop. There's usually something going on there, not sure about at the time youre going. Going for a walk down Queen Street W. is also really nice. There are a lot of big chain shops as well as small little shops that you can shop at. You'd get off at Queen to do that.

Anyways, enjoy your stay!

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I highly recommend Amsterdam as well - great lake-side bar/restaurant. Staff is amazing, and there is always a really nice vibe. People still use their outdoor facilities, because it's not too mild right now.

As for the game - secure tickets early, OR do the exact opposite and buy tickets extremely late (as in puck is about to drop late) from scalpers nearby the ACC, whose prices drop markedly once the game is underway. That is, of course, if you are cool with missing the anthems etc.

Dylbot

Sep 10, 2009

For shopping check out Queen Street West. It's a trendy neighborhood with a lot of independent shops, cafes, and bars. I little more interesting than a shopping mall. Bloor Street & Yorkville, those will be some of the most expensive stores you can shop in.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Going for a walk down Queen Street W. is also really nice. There are a lot of big chain shops as well as small little shops that you can shop at. You'd get off at Queen to do that.

Anyways, enjoy your stay!
Osgoode station if you want to shop
Queen station if you want to see old city hall, city hall and then shop

Dylbot

Sep 10, 2009
FYI.

Church and Wellesley is the Gay neighbourhood. (Not that there's anything wrong with that)
Jane and Finch is a ghetto famous for gang violence. (Miles away from downtown, you'll be nowhere near it)
Downtown is fairly scuzzy east of Church and north of King. (Though once you cross the Don Valley it picks up again a little)

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
even though it's not my scene... if you're a hippy that likes to buy used clothing and and eat vegan food and stuff like that, Kensington Market is pretty cool. but even if that's not your kind of thing, there are enough intersting little shops around there to keep you entertained.

wulfio*

Just go to the brass rail. it's on Yonge St. If you've never been to a Canadian rippers before then you'll never want to go to one back in the US again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad