Visiting Ottawa and CTC/Tickets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Going to the Pearl Jam concert tomorrow night - can anyone tell me how early the parking lots (specifically Lot 5) open up. I want to show up early to grab a spot in there so we can escape more easily at the end of the night.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Hi guys,

i'm going to stay in Ottawa two nights in mid October (going to the game vs the Avs!) but i have yet to book an accommodation for me and my girlfriend.

It's my first time in town (travelling from Europe), so i would need advice about which area of the city and place i should look for..

safe and cheap are two important factors.. :)

thanks for any help!

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Hi guys,

i'm going to stay in Ottawa two nights in mid October (going to the game vs the Avs!) but i have yet to book an accommodation for me and my girlfriend.

It's my first time in town (travelling from Europe), so i would need advice about which area of the city and place i should look for..

safe and cheap are two important factors.. :)

thanks for any help!

Stay out of Vanier.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
ehm.. which is to say.. out of the zone along Vanier parkway?

thx btw!

Haha, that was terrible advice from me. Vanier is just frequently hyped to be a place "where you don't want to be at night".

In all seriousness, I would see if there are any deals on hotels downtown. Even if it means taking longer to the game, you want to be downtown for the rest of the time your not at the game.

If you stay in Kanata (closest to the SBP), than you can get to the game quickly, but you're going to be having to go into the city to do anything else, which is where everything (other than the SBP) pretty much is.

Golden

Haven't we suffered enough?
May 3, 2007
helicecopter, I'd recommend that you stay in the downtown core where you can be near the tourist hub - the Market, Elgin St. etc. Like Manked said, although a Kanata hotel would be closer, unless you're a big fan of the suburbs, there's not much to do in the area.

In terms of being the hub of downtown, Novotel hotel, the Westin, Lord Elgin, ARC hotel, The Courtyard and the Mariott hotel, are a few places you could look into. For more hotels and reviews, take a look at the Trip Advisor site.

With any of these hotels you can get on the main transitway (public bus) and take a 400 series bus to SBP. It's about a 45 minute ride for a few bucks. Ask your concierge and they'll map it out for you.

In terms of areas, some people think parts of Rideau St. can be a bit sketch and there are a couple homeless shelters in the area but Ottawa's a pretty safe city so there aren't too many places you need to stay clear of.

Last edited:

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Haha, that was terrible advice from me. Vanier is just frequently hyped to be a place "where you don't want to be at night".

In all seriousness, I would see if there are any deals on hotels downtown. Even if it means taking longer to the game, you want to be downtown for the rest of the time your not at the game.

If you stay in Kanata (closest to the SBP), than you can get to the game quickly, but you're going to be having to go into the city to do anything else, which is where everything (other than the SBP) pretty much is.

Thats really not true there is plenty to do in kanata and area now if your young and want to be near sparks street of course downtown is your best bet but the idea there is nothing to do in kanata is false.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Thats really not true there is plenty to do in kanata and area now if your young and want to be near sparks street of course downtown is your best bet but the idea there is nothing to do in kanata is false.

I essentially live in Kanata, and for a tourist, I can tell you that Downtown is a lot better than Kanata (FOR TOURISTS).

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
Hi. I just bought some tickets on stubhub to the Ottawa/Nashville game in February and they have Mike Fisher on them.. Is this what is on the regular season tickets? Just seemed a little strange.

Also it seems from reading in here that the best way to get to the arena from downtown is bus, not cab, is that right?

Thanks

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
Hi. I just bought some tickets on stubhub to the Ottawa/Nashville game in February and they have Mike Fisher on them.. Is this what is on the regular season tickets? Just seemed a little strange.

Also it seems from reading in here that the best way to get to the arena from downtown is bus, not cab, is that right?

Thanks

Fisher is on the ticket because it's our 20th anniversary tickets. As for getting to the game from downtown, take the bus (any 400 series- you can look it up on octranspo.com travel planner). Cab will cost you a lot to get to Kanata and bus gets there rather quickly (max 45 min ).

Edit: It would probably cost you 100$ (50$ each way) total to get to the game and back in a cab.

HockeyResearch

Aug 17, 2010
Hey Sens fans,

A few friends and myself are heading to Ottawa for the March 16th game against the Habs and the 17th against the Leafs. The 17th happens to be St. Patty's day and we want to go out and celebrate after. Would we find some good places in Kanata, or should we stay in a hotel downtown and take these shuttle buses to the game? I'm worried about the bus getting back downtown pretty late after the game, thus minimizing our St. Patty's drinking time.

Edit: Also, do you know if SBP gives arena tours during the day?

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
Hey Sens fans,

A few friends and myself are heading to Ottawa for the March 16th game against the Habs and the 17th against the Leafs. The 17th happens to be St. Patty's day and we want to go out and celebrate after. Would we find some good places in Kanata, or should we stay in a hotel downtown and take these shuttle buses to the game? I'm worried about the bus getting back downtown pretty late after the game, thus minimizing our St. Patty's drinking time.

Edit: Also, do you know if SBP gives arena tours during the day?

If you want to party on St Patty's Day, then downtown on the market is your best bet, there are many pubs and bars. Bars will be open until 2am and busses will likely be back downtown by no later than 11pm if I had to guess. You want more drinking time than that?

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Hey everyone, Flyers fan here coming up for the game on January 8th. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on where to stay and good local places to have some drinks before and after the game? Any info would help, I have been looking online, but would like to know from people that are in that area first hand.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Hey everyone, Flyers fan here coming up for the game on January 8th. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on where to stay and good local places to have some drinks before and after the game? Any info would help, I have been looking online, but would like to know from people that are in that area first hand.
If you want to experience the real Ottawa, stay downtown and not in Kanata (where the ScotiaBank Place is). As per Drinks, Ottawa doesn't really have an official sports bar.

Unlike some here, I don't think the bar (Bert's) at the arena is all that bad, but you have to show up quite a bit early to get a seat. I like going to Frank Finnigan's at the Arena after, because they (at least they used to) do the post game show there.

My recommendation though would to go to Moxie's or Jack Astor's before the game. It's about a 5 minute drive from the arena. Moxie's is a higher quality hooters (not really), and Jack Astor's has good food and environment, but is not a good place to actually watch the game.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca

In regards to where to stay, just use Hotwire.com and pick any three star place downtown (not east Ottawa). I've yet to be disappointed by a place yet. Les Suites was particularly accommodating to a large group of us hockey fans during the world juniors a few years back, so I usually give them my business when their regular rates are decent (looks like they have $99 rooms with full kitchens available for when you'll be there). Everything from the Parliament Buildings to the Byward Market (main bar/party stretch downtown) is within a five minute walk from there. Like SeanMonahan said, all the sites and action are in downtown Ottawa. There's not much to do in Kanata outside of shopping and going to Sens games, so it's best to stay there.

As for before the game, I stopped off at D'Arcy McGees in Kanata for some food and drinks before the last game I went to, which is about a four or five minute drive from the arena. Very decent menu and it looks like they have drink specials from 1PM on on Sundays. The staff are also very friendly and attentive. The Moxie's off the same street, but further north on the other side of the 417 is also very good for decently priced casual food and waitresses that are "easy on the eyes".

After the game, considering you're going on a Sunday, it's going to be pretty dead everywhere, so you may as well just explorer around whatever hotel you stay at.

Last edited:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Thank you very much everyone for the info, and I hope its a fun and competitive game when we come up to visit the your great country for the first time!!

RJ8812*

Another Flyers fan who will be at the game Jan 8th. I love Ottawa! Pretty excited just to go to the city

I'll definitely be heading to Tila Tequila's!...i kid, i kid :laugh:

TheDarkSideOfThePuck

Aug 27, 2009
Ottawa
Hey guys!

I live 1 hour east from Ottawa and I'm going to the Devil games January 2nd. I got a U-Pass and I was wondering what's the best way to get to the ScotiaBankPlace, drive to Orleans and then take the bus or drive directly to ScotiaBankPlace

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Hey guys!

I live 1 hour east from Ottawa and I'm going to the Devil games January 2nd. I got a U-Pass and I was wondering what's the best way to get to the ScotiaBankPlace, drive to Orleans and then take the bus or drive directly to ScotiaBankPlace

Bus is way more convenient and less stressful, I'd recommend that. 405 comes about an hour before game time to Trim Station, look at OC Transpo's website for exact times.

Tom24

Dec 3, 2011
Devils fan here, driving down from northern Ontario to see them play in Ottawa. Was wondering if any of you know in wich hotel they stay thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad