Visiting Minnesota? Everything you need to know here!

651*

What is an absolute must eat in the twin cities? I'd like to get at least one meal that's twin city exclusive while
I'm there.

Grab a slice or two from Cosetta's a half a block from the X. That pizza is pretty killer. Otherwise Carbone's on Maria and E. 7th st. right next to Metro State U.

The cheese curds you get at the state fair are IMO our quintessential food item, but obviously you can only get them two weeks out of the year. A bunch of places do make 'em though; if you can get there try Psycho Suzi's in Minneapolis.

Also the Jucy Lucy cheeseburger was invented here and there are a couple places that do them right. Nook in St. Paul makes a very good one.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
The TC exclusive food is undeniably the Jucy Lucy. It's a cheeseburger with the cheese inside and it's magical. A South Minneapolis delicacy. There are lots of opinions on these (I know a lot of people here swear by The Nook or Blue Door) but for my money it has to be Matt's Bar, the original inventor of the Jucy Lucy and a Minneapolis institution. (If anyone tries to tell you that the 5-8 Club invented it, then they are not to be trusted. Doubly so if they spell "Jucy Lucy" with an "i.")

651*

Triple D went to The Nook.

Adam Richman "Man v. Food" went to Matt's and the 5-8.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Triple D went to The Nook.

Adam Richman "Man v. Food" went to Matt's and the 5-8.

If we're just talking burgers in general I think the Nook/Shamrocks is better, but for the Jucy Lucy's and the history I'd have to give the edge to Matt's.

StoneColdGMJN

Jul 16, 2013
Marquette
A Jucy Lucy was definitely on the bucket list, but I wasn't sure where to try one from. I think I'll go to The Nook since I'll already be in St. Paul.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
A Jucy Lucy was definitely on the bucket list, but I wasn't sure where to try one from. I think I'll go to The Nook since I'll already be in St. Paul.

The JL's at Shamrocks and The Nook are both very good, but I highly recommend going to 5-8 or Matt's. Both are phenomenal (and close to each other).

Wild Caniac

@WildCaniac
Jan 23, 2013
NC
I'm heading up in January. I was here in 2010 and I went to Matt's. It was unreal. I was thinking of trying 5/8 this time, but I feel like I have to try The Nook now. What makes each one so special?

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I thought Matt's was just ordinary compared to the Nook. I get the Paul Molitor which is a Lucy with pepper cheese inside.

Wild Caniac

@WildCaniac
Jan 23, 2013
NC
Pepperjack Cheese is my favorite. I guess i'm going to The Nook. Where is it located? I'll be staying at the Crowne Plaza Hotel next door to the X. I'll be going to see the T'Wolves vs Bobcats game on the 10th, and the Wild vs Avalanche game on the 11th.

651*

Pepperjack Cheese is my favorite. I guess i'm going to The Nook. Where is it located? I'll be staying at the Crowne Plaza Hotel next door to the X. I'll be going to see the T'Wolves vs Bobcats game on the 10th, and the Wild vs Avalanche game on the 11th.

It's not too far. It's over on Hamline (and Snelling?) by Joe Mauer's, Ryan McDonagh and Paul Molitor's (among many others) high school, CDH. http://www.crnook.com/~shamnook/?q=node/56

In my opinion possibly the nicest area of the entire city with all the colleges over there and cool stores and restaurants.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Or you could go to Shamrock's (owned by the same people with pretty much the same menu) which is a little closer to St. Paul. It's on Randolph too just a little further east.

651*

Or you could go to Shamrock's (owned by the same people with pretty much the same menu) which is a little closer to St. Paul. It's on Randolph too just a little further east.

I think you mean closer to the X.

Wild Caniac

@WildCaniac
Jan 23, 2013
NC
It's not too far. It's over on Hamline (and Snelling?) by Joe Mauer's, Ryan McDonagh and Paul Molitor's (among many others) high school, CDH. http://www.crnook.com/~shamnook/?q=node/56

In my opinion possibly the nicest area of the entire city with all the colleges over there and cool stores and restaurants.

Sounds great. Can't wait to have my 2nd Jucy Lucy experience. I hope I will get to have many more once I move to MN. I am going to school for broadcasting, and living in the State of Hockey would give huge job opportunities.

ScJeff

Jun 15, 2010
How is scalping tickets at Wild games? Decent amount available? Decent pricing?

Erz8771

Aug 2, 2007
T.Bay
Hey guys, pens fan here coming in peace.

Yesterday I bought 2 tickets to the Wild vs Pens game in April. Very excited to come see the X and the Wild and to check out your city. My question is I booked my room at the Double Tree by Hilton, how long of a walk is that to the X? I have never been downtown before. Thanks.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Hey guys, pens fan here coming in peace.

Yesterday I bought 2 tickets to the Wild vs Pens game in April. Very excited to come see the X and the Wild and to check out your city. My question is I booked my room at the Double Tree by Hilton, how long of a walk is that to the X? I have never been downtown before. Thanks.

It shouldn't be too bad. Especially in April where the weather will be somewhat mild (as in not single digits - or below). I'd venture a guess of ~10 minutes depending on how quickly you walk/decide to look around.

WildFinn*

Someone in Minnesota and/or Finland should start planning Wild hockey holidays for about a week with 2-3 games and other activities.

I would do that every winter vacation if the price would be fair.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Quick question, I'm coming down on Friday for the Habs game and me and my friends were interested in going to Tom Reid's.. is it usually pretty packed on game days or would we be fine if we went around 4:30 - 5ish? Good luck Friday!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad