OT: Visiting Denver

TheDoug

Jul 7, 2014
Louisiana
Even though this post is a month old out-of-staters should know you need to be 21, not 18, to purchase a certain something.

Also, +1 for Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park as a good short "mountain" experience.

P.S. I'd like to see the studies on how alcohol doesn't effect you differently at altitude. Because in my own and everyone I know experience says differently.

I would like the record to reflect this is not on our list of activities for the weekend, but good fyi anyway.

you can still go there pretty much anytime I think. They have fitness classes there all weekend long and there's a museum there as well

Good to know, then that is somewhere we'll need to check out- I've heard a lot of good things about it

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I figured I'd piggy back this thread- me and my wife are coming in the 2nd weekend in October, opening weekend. Sitting on the glass has been a bucket list item of mine, so I picked up a pair of tickets on stub hub, and got us a room for that Saturday night at the Hampton Inn right across the river / highway (I assume I can walk from here)?

We'll also be staying a few days before and after at my Aunt's place in Winter Park. I know it's kind of a dead time, but we'd love some ideas on things to do, my wife would like to do a horse back ride up a mountain trail around that area- I'm good with anything out doorsy or considered a must see (Like I would tell anyone coming to New Orleans to go to the WWII museum). Any recommendations for food around the Pepsi center before the game?

I'd love to see a show at the Red Rocks, but when I checked the calender stopped the week prior? Do they close shop in October?

Mid October is a great time to visit so you picked a great time. There should be quite a bit going on in the mountains, fall foliage, Oktoberfest type of stuff that's quite a bit of a tourist draw. You should be able to do outdoorsy stuff like you mentioned as well. I actually would say Red Rocks is a must do, it's open year round to go to the park and amphitheater but yeah by October they don't have much for concerts.

As far as the hotel, I'm not certain on what's around there (I never stay so I tend to not pay attention lol) but if it's closer to the football stadium on the other side of I25, I'd advise not to walk. I think there is some way to cross by foot which involves going by the railroad tracks but seriously there is no need to do it. There should be no issue parking at the arena or if you don't want to drive at least take the light rail. There is a stop right at the Pepsi Center and there are a couple around the football stadium that would be just one stop away if you got on there.

There is only really Brooklyn's by the Pepsi Center. It's ok but does get a lot of traffic. Going a few blocks into downtown gives you infinitely more options, check out the area of 14th and Larimer as there are many restaurants there and many good options depending on what you like. The Pepsi Center is situated between the highway, amusement park and large college campus so it's not right IN downtown though it's just a few blocks away so it depends on what you envision as right by. Walking distance sure but not exactly "on the way" to the game.

Hope that helps...

TheDoug

Jul 7, 2014
Louisiana
Mid October is a great time to visit so you picked a great time. There should be quite a bit going on in the mountains, fall foliage, Oktoberfest type of stuff that's quite a bit of a tourist draw. You should be able to do outdoorsy stuff like you mentioned as well. I actually would say Red Rocks is a must do, it's open year round to go to the park and amphitheater but yeah by October they don't have much for concerts.

As far as the hotel, I'm not certain on what's around there (I never stay so I tend to not pay attention lol) but if it's closer to the football stadium on the other side of I25, I'd advise not to walk. I think there is some way to cross by foot which involves going by the railroad tracks but seriously there is no need to do it. There should be no issue parking at the arena or if you don't want to drive at least take the light rail. There is a stop right at the Pepsi Center and there are a couple around the football stadium that would be just one stop away if you got on there.

There is only really Brooklyn's by the Pepsi Center. It's ok but does get a lot of traffic. Going a few blocks into downtown gives you infinitely more options, check out the area of 14th and Larimer as there are many restaurants there and many good options depending on what you like. The Pepsi Center is situated between the highway, amusement park and large college campus so it's not right IN downtown though it's just a few blocks away so it depends on what you envision as right by. Walking distance sure but not exactly "on the way" to the game.

Hope that helps...

Helps a lot- I can cancel the hotel at anytime (I love hotels.com) so I may book one on the other side of the arena. I'm used to long walks around New Orleans for Saints games so a 20-30 minute walk to the game won't be an issue for us.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Even though this post is a month old out-of-staters should know you need to be 21, not 18, to purchase a certain something.

Also, +1 for Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park as a good short "mountain" experience.

P.S. I'd like to see the studies on how alcohol doesn't effect you differently at altitude. Because in my own and everyone I know experience says differently.

Thanks for correcting my month old typo.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
We'll also be staying a few days before and after at my Aunt's place in Winter Park. I know it's kind of a dead time, but we'd love some ideas on things to do, my wife would like to do a horse back ride up a mountain trail around that area- I'm good with anything out doorsy or considered a must see (Like I would tell anyone coming to New Orleans to go to the WWII museum). Any recommendations for food around the Pepsi center before the game?

I think you should do 14th and Larimer as well, and I highly suggest Rioja if it is in your budget. Probably my favorite restaurant in the whole city. The chef that owns the place almost won Top Chef Masters.

I think a horse ride is a great idea. I mentored an intern this summer and she took a horse trail ride in Breckenridge and she loved it - was one of her favorite things to do this summer here. I would also say Red Rocks is important but it's 10x better if you can catch a show there.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Ah yeah I've been to Rioja. I think the best dessert I've ever had was from there. I don't even remember exactly what it was, chocolate carmel something. Larimer is becoming quite the foodie corner.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Ah yeah I've been to Rioja. I think the best dessert I've ever had was from there. I don't even remember exactly what it was, chocolate carmel something. Larimer is becoming quite the foodie corner.

Try Bistro Vendome sometime if you haven't - they're owned by the same chef. But I think Rioja is better.

iand22

Jun 6, 2014
Try Bistro Vendome sometime if you haven't - they're owned by the same chef. But I think Rioja is better.

Also by them is Euclid Hall which is also very good. Cholon is also close and excellent.

If budget is a major constraint Biker Jim's dogs consistently score well on yelp I think its still 4.5 stars after like 500 recommendations.

TheDoug

Jul 7, 2014
Louisiana
Booked my room right where y'all suggested, at Hotel Teatro- worth the price upgrade to be able to walk around downtown Denver (and to the game)

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Booked my room right where y'all suggested, at Hotel Teatro- worth the price upgrade to be able to walk around downtown Denver (and to the game)

Nice hotel you're going to have an awesome time.

Downtown suggestions...there's more but all of these are walking distance/vicinity. You would not need a car to go to any of these:

Denver Mint tour if you're into coins
Great Divide Brewery (a must if you like beer)
Rioja
Larimer Square (you'll be right there)
Little Man Ice Cream (busy but good ice cream)
The Peak Lounge in the Hyatt (go there around sunset for a drink to see mountain skyline view of Rockies - very cool)
Denver Art Museum

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
great thread --- Im coming to Denver in Oct too. Plan on staying at the Warwick-- mostly due to the fact that they have balcony's!

:cheers:

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I heard their rooftop pool is open year round? Between skiing, the hockey, and the dispensaries, I might never leave!!

TheDoug

Jul 7, 2014
Louisiana
So... should I be concerned at all about driving the area (Denver / Winter Park Resort) in early October? I'm from Louisiana so I've only seen snow like once or twice in my life

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Denver it's more likely to be 70 degrees than snow but can't guarantee no snow. Though it would melt quick and probably won't stick. In the mountains it's more likely to encounter a little but minimal of any. Stick to driving up there in the daytime and you should be ok.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I doubt you see snow, but if you do and are driving, just remember to slow down for those conditions. Driving in snow is really easy.

TheDoug

Jul 7, 2014
Louisiana
Denver it's more likely to be 70 degrees than snow but can't guarantee no snow. Though it would melt quick and probably won't stick. In the mountains it's more likely to encounter a little but minimal of any. Stick to driving up there in the daytime and you should be ok.

I doubt you see snow, but if you do and are driving, just remember to slow down for those conditions. Driving in snow is really easy.

:handclap:

Good to know, thanks for the heads up- we had an ice storm in south Louisiana this year- all the roads were iced over and it was pretty crazy as no one knew what to do. My truck (4x4) handled it pretty well, until I hit a road no one had driven down yet... I went to slow down and turn and my truck just kept going straight, lol. Then went to turn around and make the block and almost did a full 180 in the street

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
For the record driving in ice is a totally different story than driving in snow.

I'd take 6" of snow over ice anyday. Snow is predictable. Ice? You cant see it till you are on it. and then it's too late.

Thats why Im mass transit or hoofing it around Denver...

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Bringing this back b/c I'm getting even more amped for my trip in less than two months!!!!

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
We get snow in October but I can't remember the last time it actually stuck to the roads that early. Snow in Denver just doesn't stay around long, especially during the day since the sun is usually out at some point. It's nothing like the midwest (or northeast, I presume, although I've never been).

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Currently trying to score an internship in Denver for this summer. This better all workout

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Did you get your tickets? Have you made plans to do anything else?

Got my flight, $260 r/t from NY -- That's the most important --- Coming in on the day of the game, staying at Warwick ---

Ill get tix off Stubhub.... I have a couple of things on the "burner" to be done...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad