OT: Visiting Denver

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
How can a 5 minute cab ride not be walking distance?
Does it go on the highway or something?

I was more worried about the younger kid, some kids are good for a 20-30 minute walk others aren't; every time I've stayed downtown and gone to a game I've walked from the places I mentioned so it's very walkable for adults.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Never been to Colorado but it's on my list of places to visit as it's one of the few US states that I've not visited yet. Any tip regarding safety? Places for tourists to avoid, etc. Outside of the few mass shootings in recent years Colorado doesn't come accross as a violent place, am I right? Not that I'm a wuss or anything but from personal experience, it's smarter to know in advance where to go and where not to go.

if you're downtown, just stay south of 23rd Street. 20th to 23rd street is safe but I've heard of some bad activity there. South of 20th (which is where most of downtown is) you're good to go. I've lived in downtown for over 20 years now. No problems.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm going in October and it looks like i'm going to stay at a Ramada close to Pepsi Center. Nothing fancy (i'm leaving a 5 star in Vegas after a week to go to Denver so I need to save some money :laugh: ) but I just needed a place to stay close to PC for one night so I can catch the home opener.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
I think Estes Park is one of the best mountain-y day trips. The town is cool and then from there you can drive up Trail Ridge road and get some amazing views and see some good wildlife. But if we have a particularly snowy October, they can close it. It's closed all winter but I don't think it closed until late November this year. You can still drive up through Rocky Mountain National Park through Estes, you just can't go all the way to the top like you can before they close the road.
And if you like whiskey, DEFINITELY check out the Stanley Hotel on the way down. They have over 700 different bottles of scotch/whiskey and some great food, too. You can do this all in a day.

Over the Pants Landy

Feb 19, 2013
CT
I feel like this is turning into a "all about Denver" for visitors and I love it. I as well booked a trip in December to come down.

Definitely don't want to hijack anyone's thread, but any suggestions to first timers on how to handle the altitude?

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I feel like this is turning into a "all about Denver" for visitors and I love it. I as well booked a trip in December to come down.

Definitely don't want to hijack anyone's thread, but any suggestions to first timers on how to handle the altitude?

5,000 feet isn't all that bad. But like anywhere, just stay hydrated. And I guess avoid heavy boozing the 1st day you are here. Although don't believe the myth about altitude and drinking.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver

Lots of water and if you're going to drink alcohol, do it slowly. Other than that you probably won't notice it unless you're elderly or working out vigorously! My grandma always gets altitude sick here but my cousins hardly notice it other than not being able to drink as much!

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
5,000 feet isn't all that bad. But like anywhere, just stay hydrated. And I guess avoid heavy boozing the 1st day you are here. Although don't believe the myth about altitude and drinking.

Eh, the amount it takes me to get drunk at sea level is more than it takes here. I don't really notice it the other way around though.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
My husband says he got tipsy off of a couple beers in Snowmass so I believe him :laugh:

No worries about hijacking, I think it's a good thing to have a visitors thread. I love talking about my home and helping so I don't mind at all.

Just going to Denver I think you might notice the altitude a little but it's not a big deal. If you go in the mountains it's probably more important to be mindful of it, you can get dehydrated and headaches.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I was more worried about the younger kid, some kids are good for a 20-30 minute walk others aren't; every time I've stayed downtown and gone to a game I've walked from the places I mentioned so it's very walkable for adults.

Right, missed that part. My bad.

Over the Pants Landy

Feb 19, 2013
CT
What's the age limit in CO about renting cars? Thinking this might be the best way for me to go, but I'm only 23.

I know in CT it's 25 so I wanted to see if that'd be an option out there.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I know we aren't supposed to discuss this, so if a mod feels the need to delete, feel free. But it probably should be stated for out of stater's who are coming to Denver. Yes, it is legal to buy a certain something in Colorado. You need to be 18 to buy that certain something, and can only buy a 1/4 ounce at a time if you are from out of state. No, you can't just use it anywhere, so keep it private. No, you can not take it home with you either. You will need cash if you do wish to buy it, and it will be expensive.

LaCarriere

Hey guys!

So my 9 year old son finally got into the avalanche this playoff run. I'm getting custody of him from my ex this year and figured a great way to make a memory would be to surprise him with a jersey (he like landeskog best) with tickets and flights from Canada to the December 31st game vs the flyers and the Jan 2nd game vs the oilers.

I've been a hardcore avs fan for years but haven't ever had the opportunity to come to Denver for a game even though I've seen them a couple times in Calgary and in Edmonton as well.

My question is, what is a hotel option that's decent in closer vicinity to the Pepsi Center? I'm likely going to rent a car, but am trying to get all the booking done now to avoid stupidly priced hotel rooms on new years eve by booking early. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I flew down from Ontario in April and stayed at the Downtown Sheraton Denver. Now the prime reason for going was a little different (4/20 celebration, lol), but we went to game 2 vs the Wild, and a Rockies game as well.

Price was decent, room was decent (if you ask they will provide a free mini-fridge). It was about a 15-20 minute walk to the Pepsi Centre / Coors Field, not very far from the 16th street outdoor mall. Lots of restaurants and shops nearby. The capitol building and park is like a 5 minute walk from the hotel, and all the other government buildings which are pretty neat. You could probably find closer to the arena, but I'd reccomend checking their website out for prices.

Just be aware walking around... you'll probably run into people smoking pot. It's not technically legal to do it in public, but I saw it quite a bit. It's pretty common there now that it's legal, espeically with the vapor pens that look exactly like e-cigs. Something you might be explaining to your 9 year old, but it also could have just been because it was 4/20 weekend, and we were right around the corner from the Capitol where the huge gathering was.

Last edited:

LaCarriere

We went out to the flatirons in Boulder, and did some hiking. Not the most extreme activity, but it gets a little rocky as you get higher, and I was fine. I'm not exactly in the best shape anymore. To be honest I really didn't even feel a difference -- I was expecting to feel more from what I've heard.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
What's the age limit in CO about renting cars? Thinking this might be the best way for me to go, but I'm only 23.

I know in CT it's 25 so I wanted to see if that'd be an option out there.

I'm 23 and renting from a thrifty in Vegas and dropping it off at thrifty in Denver. I don't think there's a limit but I think it costs more for every year you are under 25.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
There have been studies and tests and there isn't a shred of evidence that it is true.

It's more about how the body processes the alcohol. The liver uses oxygen to metabolize the alcohol. At higher altitudes, you have less oxygen available, so alcohol is metabolized more slowly.

In Denver the difference isn't extremely noticeable, but if you go to Breckenridge, Aspen or anywhere else over 8000 feet, you might feel it.

TheDoug

Jul 7, 2014
Louisiana
I figured I'd piggy back this thread- me and my wife are coming in the 2nd weekend in October, opening weekend. Sitting on the glass has been a bucket list item of mine, so I picked up a pair of tickets on stub hub, and got us a room for that Saturday night at the Hampton Inn right across the river / highway (I assume I can walk from here)?

We'll also be staying a few days before and after at my Aunt's place in Winter Park. I know it's kind of a dead time, but we'd love some ideas on things to do, my wife would like to do a horse back ride up a mountain trail around that area- I'm good with anything out doorsy or considered a must see (Like I would tell anyone coming to New Orleans to go to the WWII museum). Any recommendations for food around the Pepsi center before the game?

I'd love to see a show at the Red Rocks, but when I checked the calender stopped the week prior? Do they close shop in October?

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I know we aren't supposed to discuss this, so if a mod feels the need to delete, feel free. But it probably should be stated for out of stater's who are coming to Denver. Yes, it is legal to buy a certain something in Colorado. You need to be 18 to buy that certain something, and can only buy a 1/4 ounce at a time if you are from out of state. No, you can't just use it anywhere, so keep it private. No, you can not take it home with you either. You will need cash if you do wish to buy it, and it will be expensive.

Even though this post is a month old out-of-staters should know you need to be 21, not 18, to purchase a certain something.

Also, +1 for Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park as a good short "mountain" experience.

P.S. I'd like to see the studies on how alcohol doesn't effect you differently at altitude. Because in my own and everyone I know experience says differently.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I'd love to see a show at the Red Rocks, but when I checked the calender stopped the week prior? Do they close shop in October?

you can still go there pretty much anytime I think. They have fitness classes there all weekend long and there's a museum there as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad