OT: Visiting Boston? We are here to help.

Bruins Bhoy

Feb 7, 2010
Loughborough, England
Hi,

We are heading over to Boston for our Honeymoon in December (seeing a Bruins game at the garden is top of my bucket list and i have a wonderful wife to be), and i wondered if anyone could help me with the tipping system? Apologies as i know this is an odd question, but i want to ensure that we are not rude and we understand the 'rules' of tipping. I know it is a little different than over here in the UK. So basically, who do we tip and how? I have already spent a good amount of time reading and watching videos, but as they all have different advice it can get a little confusing. I was hoping asking on here would be a little more illuminating as many of you live in and around the area!

54 days until my first Bruins game in Boston...not that i am counting of course :)

Reactions: Alicat and Ladyfan

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Hi,

We are heading over to Boston for our Honeymoon in December (seeing a Bruins game at the garden is top of my bucket list and i have a wonderful wife to be), and i wondered if anyone could help me with the tipping system? Apologies as i know this is an odd question, but i want to ensure that we are not rude and we understand the 'rules' of tipping. I know it is a little different than over here in the UK. So basically, who do we tip and how? I have already spent a good amount of time reading and watching videos, but as they all have different advice it can get a little confusing. I was hoping asking on here would be a little more illuminating as many of you live in and around the area!

54 days until my first Bruins game in Boston...not that i am counting of course :)

In a restaurant, 15 to 20% of the final bill is the norm.

In a bar rule of thumb is a dollar a drink.

Uber/Lyft/Taxi 10 to 15% and if driver helps with luggage add a couple of more dollars.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
And to add to that, valet and/or people at hotels helping with bags (if they bring it all the way up to the room) I give a 5 to, but I tend to tip a little heavy so a couple bucks might do.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Airport - porter $1-2 per bag

Taxi - They will have buttons for the percentage on the credit card swipe. Choose a middle one. Same for Uber/Lyft.

Hotel
Bell hop - $2-3 per bag
Maid service - $2-3 per day, or leave the total before checkout.
Concierge service - If they perform an extra duty (book a trip, hire a car) tip them $10-20 before you leave.

Restaurants
Fast food - none
Dining - 15-20%, more for outstanding 5 star service. I once gave 50% at Nobu in Las Vegas, and it was worth every penny. If you have a sommelier, tip separate, 20% of the value of the wine. Also tip the Maitre' D $10 if he gets you a special table request (by the window, away from the fire, etc.)
Coffee shop - Chuck the change in the jar

Bars - At least $1 per drink. Tip in cash and they will wait on you faster and the drinks will improve. Don't tip and they won't even acknowledge your presence.

Note: If you were in New York City, every one of these values would be seen as cheap and you would be tipping about twice as many people. New York City is a different world.

Reactions: sooshii

Bruins Bhoy

Feb 7, 2010
Loughborough, England
Thank you for the replies. I am really glad i asked as i had not considered the Maid or Bell hop. I didn't realise there were all the extra tips with regards to dining either. Generally, we only tip in a restaurant here and many don't even bother with that. I think i am going to spend much of the holiday trying to remember who and how much to tip.

Thanks again, your help is much appreciated.

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
Thank you for the replies. I am really glad i asked as i had not considered the Maid or Bell hop. I didn't realise there were all the extra tips with regards to dining either. Generally, we only tip in a restaurant here and many don't even bother with that. I think i am going to spend much of the holiday trying to remember who and how much to tip.

The first time myself and my wife went to the US we were equally apprehensive. We're from Ireland so same as yourself we'd only tip here in a restaurant and even then only if we feel it warranted.
After a day in the US we realised we were worrying about nothing. You'll soon get into the swing of it and realise it's pretty straight forward, just make sure to have a few single dollar bills and a couple of fives in your wallet and you'll be good.

Have a great honeymoon. You'll love the garden and watching the Bruins live. We went to our first game last year when in Boston and we've been obsessed ever since, so much so that we are heading back again in two weeks time to catch another game.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

One thing specifically about arenas in the US: In general, the rule of thumb seems to be that if you're in line for concessions, no tip, but if it's a vendor who's combing through the crowds throwing peanuts, pretzels, and cotton candy around to people, you tip - and I'd say about 20% is standard there. I'm just going by what I looked up on the net myself, and what I've seen other people do at arenas - I certainly do tip when it's expected, since for a lot of workers, it's a part of their pay (which is why I think the idea is horrible, but that's another story).

For TD Garden, it's a little different. AFAIK, the only vendors who come to you are in the Club seats and the suites. (Clubs are sections in the 100s, suites are 500s and 600s.) But in the Garden, 90% of the seating is in the loge and balconies, where you go bhind to the concourse (only during stoppage in play, please - between the whistles!) to get your food/beer. They really pressure you into tipping as if it's an expectation, because they have a new screen that gives tipping amounts. For a pretzel and a bag of peanuts where you've been standing in line for 2-3 minutes, I think it's kind of ballsy. I don't know if Jeremy Jacobs pays vendors minimum wage, or if he depends on us to tip to make the difference, but I assume minimum wage is paid, so I don't tip in that situation - it'd be like tipping at Burger King, which just isn't done in the States.

That said, if you get exceptional service (vendor points out the nearest bathroom and you have an order of 10 items), yeah, tip. Also, if you're in the suite/club seats and walk around to the bar that's near where Dale Arnold does his intermission shows, they actually automatically add 15% - I guess since it's an "upscale" bar.

Also, if you make a huge mess spilling beer everywhere and ask an usher nicely to clean up after you during an intermission, tossing a tip his way wouldn't be unheard of.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
One thing specifically about arenas in the US: In general, the rule of thumb seems to be that if you're in line for concessions, no tip, but if it's a vendor who's combing through the crowds throwing peanuts, pretzels, and cotton candy around to people, you tip - and I'd say about 20% is standard there. I'm just going by what I looked up on the net myself, and what I've seen other people do at arenas - I certainly do tip when it's expected, since for a lot of workers, it's a part of their pay (which is why I think the idea is horrible, but that's another story).

For TD Garden, it's a little different. AFAIK, the only vendors who come to you are in the Club seats and the suites. (Clubs are sections in the 100s, suites are 500s and 600s.) But in the Garden, 90% of the seating is in the loge and balconies, where you go bhind to the concourse (only during stoppage in play, please - between the whistles!) to get your food/beer. They really pressure you into tipping as if it's an expectation, because they have a new screen that gives tipping amounts. For a pretzel and a bag of peanuts where you've been standing in line for 2-3 minutes, I think it's kind of ballsy. I don't know if Jeremy Jacobs pays vendors minimum wage, or if he depends on us to tip to make the difference, but I assume minimum wage is paid, so I don't tip in that situation - it'd be like tipping at Burger King, which just isn't done in the States.

That said, if you get exceptional service (vendor points out the nearest bathroom and you have an order of 10 items), yeah, tip. Also, if you're in the suite/club seats and walk around to the bar that's near where Dale Arnold does his intermission shows, they actually automatically add 15% - I guess since it's an "upscale" bar.

Also, if you make a huge mess spilling beer everywhere and ask an usher nicely to clean up after you during an intermission, tossing a tip his way wouldn't be unheard of.

Weird, I have never seen anyone in all my years tip this type of worker.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Weird, I have never seen anyone in all my years tip this type of worker.

I see it all the time at Fenway - if it's $8.75 for a beer from the vendor walking around in the stands, people hand a $10 and say keep the change. Maybe the 20% is extreme - it's usually more of a "round up" or "dollar or so per item" kinda thing, just like tipping at an actual bar.

Tipping just feels weird to me; raise the menu prices, and pay the servers a better (not necessarily minimum) wage so we don't have to guess where to tip, and so they don't have to play the lottery hoping to hit "local generous celebrity" at their table instead of "group of 10 college kids who are already drunk when they come in and will forget to tip".

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
If my change is $1 and some change I leave it as a tip if I’m paying cash at either Fenway or the Garden.

I do not tip at the Garden if I’m paying with a debit card unless I get incredible service or I personally know the worker behind the counter.

I agree that it’s incredibly ballsy for workers to try and get people to tip them with their new screens.

There’s a woman at the Haymarket beer place in the balcony that openly gets pissed if you don’t tip her. I’d rather wait in the other line than go to her even if it means missing some of the game.

I use a tip calculator since math is not my friend. Best thing ever.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I only tip waiters, waitresses, and bartenders. No one else gets a tip from me. Not the beer vendors with the 11 dollar beers, not the Uber drivers who make me car sick, not the cabbies who have “broken” credit card machines, I dont use bell hops or airport help. But waiters and bartenders always get 20-25%, if the service is really good it’s 25. If it’s bad-good it’s 20%. If it’s really really bad it’s 10-15 (3 times in my life) If it’s the worst ever it’s 0-5% (2 times)

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
If my change is $1 and some change I leave it as a tip if I’m paying cash at either Fenway or the Garden.

I do not tip at the Garden if I’m paying with a debit card unless I get incredible service or I personally know the worker behind the counter.

I agree that it’s incredibly ballsy for workers to try and get people to tip them with their new screens.

There’s a woman at the Haymarket beer place in the balcony that openly gets pissed if you don’t tip her. I’d rather wait in the other line than go to her even if it means missing some of the game.

I use a tip calculator since math is not my friend. Best thing ever.
The workers didn't set up that screen.

I tip the folks if I get a water or soda. They don't make much $$ and it isn't their fault everything is overpriced.

Last edited:
Reactions: talkinaway

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site

I tip the folks if I get a water or soda. They don't make much $$ and it isn't their fault everything is overpriced.
There is the problem. The workers don't get paid enough, yet the prices still increase. Message there?

Delaware North is getting fat while we, the public have to help give the workers their proper wage.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
There is the problem. The workers don't get paid enough, yet the prices still increase. Message there?

Delaware North is getting fat while we, the public have to help give the workers their proper wage.
All of the sports venues in Boston are overpriced. It is crazy how much they all charge. I don't ever buy more than a water or soda.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Yup, to be absolutely clear, AFAIK, it's Delaware North (and by extension JJ) who have implemented this policy, and not any of the (generally great) folks behind the counter, who essentially have to "turn the screen" to get the customer to complete the transaction. To me, it sounds like Delaware North is implementing a tip system that's electronic for one important reason: they can easily compute how much in tips their workers are getting. Then, they can lower wages from "standard minimum wage" to "restaurant server minimum wage", and have data to back up that their workers are making a certain number of dollars per hour in tips to "make up" for the deficit that DNC won't have to pay.

If a server gets completely stiffed in tips during a shift, from what I've read, the restaurant is SUPPOSED to supplement them back to minimum wage. It really should be DNC's responsibility to ensure that their employees are well paid...and not the customer's.

Reactions: JRull86 and Ratty

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
All of the sports venues in Boston are overpriced. It is crazy how much they all charge. I don't ever buy more than a water or soda.
One difference, though between Fenway Park and Toronto Dominion Garden: Red Sox receive a commission from Aramark, which has the concession rights, while Delaware North OWNS the concessions. It receives the profits from all Celtic games, too.

That's one of the reasons why you see more suits at these venues discussing NASDAQ than lunch pail dudes talking baseball/hockey.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I’ll be heading down in March or April, really looking forward to it! Definitely going to try and catch a game

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

You are right, they didn't set it up, but it also comes down to attitude. If you act like a brat because someone didn't tip you, others notice and won't tip.

Personally I'm extremely turned off by the "suggested tip" on those screens. It's another way for JJ/companies to track how much people are making and frankly who knows how much of it even goes to the workers themselves. Honestly, if I'm tipping one of them, it's with cash for that very reason.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
You are right, they didn't set it up, but it also comes down to attitude. If you act like a brat because someone didn't tip you, others notice and won't tip.

Personally I'm extremely turned off by the "suggested tip" on those screens. It's another way for JJ/companies to track how much people are making and frankly who knows how much of it even goes to the workers themselves. Honestly, if I'm tipping one of them, it's with cash for that very reason.
I pay and tip in cash (while it is still allowed)

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
So the countdown is on. T minus 5 days to Boston and the Bruins :)

Anyone have any recommendations for good sports bars? Somewhere to watch the Pats game on the Monday night and the Sox on the Saturday and Sunday night. We are staying near the Old State House but don't mind walking so anywhere within a 20-30 min walk is fine by us. Good atmosphere and possibly good food (nothing fancy just good).

Can't wait now. The fact we are going to be there for game 4 and 5 of the WS just adds to the excitement, fingers crossed the Sox can win it within 5 (I'm not asking for much I know).

Most of all though CAN'T WAIT to go to the Bruins game, especially now that I'll actually know what's happening this time. :)

Reactions: talkinaway

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
So the countdown is on. T minus 5 days to Boston and the Bruins :)

Anyone have any recommendations for good sports bars? Somewhere to watch the Pats game on the Monday night and the Sox on the Saturday and Sunday night. We are staying near the Old State House but don't mind walking so anywhere within a 20-30 min walk is fine by us. Good atmosphere and possibly good food (nothing fancy just good).

Can't wait now. The fact we are going to be there for game 4 and 5 of the WS just adds to the excitement, fingers crossed the Sox can win it within 5 (I'm not asking for much I know).

Most of all though CAN'T WAIT to go to the Bruins game, especially now that I'll actually know what's happening this time. :)

Warehouse Bar & Grill. Gastro pub type food, tons of TVs. Right around the corner from the Old State House, 5-6 minute walk.

The Warehouse | Bar & Grille

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Filmmaker Sean Collins fell in love with Boston when he moved here five years ago, and since then, he’s been compiling shots all over the city, stretching from the Public Garden to the top of the Millennium Tower.

That passion can be viewed in a new video titled “I Love You Boston,” which Collins released Tuesday on Vimeo. The head of the production company Bodhi Films said he hopes it will inspire residents to “fall in love” with the city again.
“I fell in love with Boston about five years ago when I came out here,” Collins said. “And I just wanted to create a video that inspires people to see their city in a new light or to appreciate it like I do.”

The video, taken in a series of technical shots — known as drone-lapse, time-lapse, and hyper-lapse — display sprawling images of the city, including those of a packed Fenway Park and several colorful sunsets, Collins said.
Many of the featured clips were taken from “very rare vantage points,” like the roof of the John Hancock Tower and the top of Pierce Boston, Collins said, adding that the vast majority of filming required negotiations with construction companies, building managers, and the Federal Aviation Administration to get permission.

“A lot of it was choosing locations that the average person couldn’t get to,” he said. “So, I’m really trying to see things from a different perspective, especially with the drone stuff. You don’t really get that perspective in your daily life.”
Collins said the finished product is a result of months of continuous work and that he’s pleased with how his “labor of love” came out.

“Every one of those very fast shots [that may have been in the video for] one second, that was me standing on top of the building for four hours, sometimes in the freezing cold doing that shot, and then spending hours editing it to make it look as good as possible,” he said.

Watch the full video below:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad