Virtanen for Colorada's 10th overall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Seriously what has happen to these boards...

Whatever happened to patience... Jake Virtanen is still 19 years old...

I was honestly surprised it took this long to get a thread like this. The boards have come to total depression point and group think is the norm. We are in the sky is falling everyone sucks mode is in full affect.

I think we will pleasantly surprised if we give this kid some time.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
idea of trading Virtanen for Keller
ZOMG SO DEPRESSING@#$@#$#@$

lirl

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
keller is 2016 draft eligible, probably wouldnt be an nhl player until 20. virtanen already burned a year of his elc. even if they turn out to be equally effective players, keller is a considerably more valuable asset to the canucks

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
So, for the folks who are offended that such an idea even be put forth, what do you think Virtanen realistically looks like In his prime?

Is he a 20 goal scorer? 25? 30? More?

40 points? 50? 60? More?

What line does he play on? Does he drive that line, or is he a complementary player?

How certain are you that he hits your projection?

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
This is stupid. Don't trade Virtanen. We haven't even seen what Virt can do.

Have we not learned from the last BC boy we drafted with our 1st pick?

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
why exactly are the Avs trading their 10th pick for a forward when they need defence? and defence will be available at 10.. this thread is dumb.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
We know exactly what he is after one season on the 4th line.
Better trade him ASAP!!!

So Virtanen is untouchable? You wouldn't do Virtanen for McDavid? Why won't you trade Virtanen for Crosby and Malkin with salary retained on both? What a ridiculous position you've clearly taken.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
So, for the folks who are offended that such an idea even be put forth, what do you think Virtanen realistically looks like In his prime?

Is he a 20 goal scorer? 25? 30? More?

40 points? 50? 60? More?

What line does he play on? Does he drive that line, or is he a complementary player?

How certain are you that he hits your projection?

Offended is the wrong word. Way too early. These guys were drafted based on what they'll look like at 24-25, not 19-20. Move would be nonsensical. His speed, size, skill and willingness to hit is a rare blend. Smallish scorers are a legion.

25+ goals with 50+ points in his prime.

Any line. Top 6 most likely, even if he isn't the main cheese, or top 9 on a real deep team. When people say top 6 usually there are only about 4 players on a team that truly qualify, kind of like there are only about nine legit #1 D men per Benning. At worst I see Virtanen as one of the other two complimentary guys who drive possession, hit and chip in 20+ in a decent year. Don't think his production will be impacted much by who he plays with, though TOI and PP will matter as they always do.

Better than 50% confident in projections.

Who needs Nylander, Ehlers or Keller when you got Boeser and Tkachuk/PLD?

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Good thing Jethro waited until McCann was 20.:sarcasm:

They kept the more valuable piece in Virtanen. All is how is should be - draft for talent and trade for positional need. The alternative is waiting on everybody like the Oilers do with their wunder kids, see their value plummet (Yak, Nuge), make no meaningful improvements to D and keep sucking. :nod:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
The alternative is waiting on everybody like the Oilers do with their wunder kids, see their value plummet (Yak, Nuge), make no meaningful improvements to D and keep sucking. :nod:
Oilers sucked because they didn't have anybody to surround those "top prospects" & horrible coaching (the one that didn't look bad - they dumped). Hey, we've got Willie so no worries there.:laugh:

Hey we've got Jethro who'll pick up great characters like Lucic (Miller can set-up a "welcome party" :laugh:), Prust (wahhhhhhhhh, I got scratched, wahhhhh), Vrbata (wahhhhh, I don't get to play with the Sedins), etc.,)

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Those are really bad examples, we're talking about Power forwards, not goons. Pittsburgh was looking for size, not a power forward, and didn't mind discarding an offensive prospect with their stacked forward line-up. Shawn Antoski didn't light the lamp at any level of hockey, he was drafted for his PIM's. Antoski has more in common with Mackenzie Stewart than Bertuzzi.

You don't draft gone at 7th overall and 18th overall.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
EVERYBODY

come on, that's a really stupid question

You want mayo on that? Come on, there are only so many early 1st rounders to be had by one team, especially those with any pretense of challenging for playoffs.

Per my long standing 1st round draft policy, I'll take skill+better or average size over skill in an undersized package.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i'll happily take every single first round pick and every single player picked with a first round pick until my reserve list is full. i dont know about you, but i like it when the canucks are good and full of cool players as opposed to having at most a few players i stylistically like

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
i'll happily take every single first round pick and every single player picked with a first round pick until my reserve list is full. i dont know about you, but i like it when the canucks are good and full of cool players as opposed to having at most a few players i stylistically like

Benning has retained one 1st rounder each year, including the better quality early ones.

I think you risk turning it into an exercise of accumulating picks, even if high-rated, instead of team building. Delaying bettering your club in favor of winning the yearly best prospect pool award. Like the Jets do and they never go anywhere. And should you suddenly get better, thanks to that reserve list, and if all the main horses are of roughly the same age, cap problems await.

Agree that style matters less than them being good. In dealing McCann, Forsling and Shinkaruk I honestly believe that JB didn't trade any future gamebreakers, at least as his evaluations go.

GreetingsFromCanada

Mar 19, 2016
BC

Bruh, if we had Nylander or Ehlers right now we'd be years ahead of schedule for contending. They had PP/60 of 1.97 and 2.17. Jack Eichel and Reinhart managed 2.17 and 1.89. Ehlers and Nylander are special, it's going to take a damn lot for anyone we have to be as good as either will.

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008
You want mayo on that? Come on, there are only so many early 1st rounders to be had by one team, especially those with any pretense of challenging for playoffs.

Per my long standing 1st round draft policy, I'll take skill+better or average size over skill in an undersized package.
groundbreaking analysis

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Offended is the wrong word. Way too early. These guys were drafted based on what they'll look like at 24-25, not 19-20. Move would be nonsensical. His speed, size, skill and willingness to hit is a rare blend. Smallish scorers are a legion.

25+ goals with 50+ points in his prime.

Any line. Top 6 most likely, even if he isn't the main cheese, or top 9 on a real deep team. When people say top 6 usually there are only about 4 players on a team that truly qualify, kind of like there are only about nine legit #1 D men per Benning. At worst I see Virtanen as one of the other two complimentary guys who drive possession, hit and chip in 20+ in a decent year. Don't think his production will be impacted much by who he plays with, though TOI and PP will matter as they always do.

Better than 50% confident in projections.

Thanks for laying out your expectations.

Also, you wouldn't trade Virtanen for Nylander or Ehlers?

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
By trading Virtanen, we are making a lateral move at best, and setting ourselves back a year on a prospect being a contributor. Unless someone slides to 10th that is unexpected, bad move.

These forums should almost be suspended in the off season to prevent people from going insane.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Who else thought we lucked out with the 6th that year?

I was so pumped for Ehlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad