Virtanen for Colorada's 10th overall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
groundbreaking analysis

Of course, but seeing as we are in a thread where OP entertains Keller/Jost > Virtanen, it bears repeating. :help:

Doesn't mean OP is wrong it just means no one knows for sure now. Only certainties are: 1) smaller guys have at least one extra obstacle to overcome, and 2) it's a two year delaying exercise.

No I wouldn't deal Virtanen straight up for Ehlers/Nylander today. Maybe if I thought we had complete dearth of high end talent I'd consider it. As it is we've two or three.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Of course, but seeing as we are in a thread where OP entertains Keller/Jost > Virtanen, it bears repeating. :help:

Doesn't mean OP is wrong it just means no one knows for sure now. Only certainties are: 1) smaller guys have at least one extra obstacle to overcome, and 2) it's a two year delaying exercise.

No I wouldn't deal Virtanen straight up for Ehlers/Nylander today. Maybe if I thought we had complete dearth of high end talent I'd consider it. As it is we've two or three.

Who do they have that match those two?

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
This is a tough choice. At 10, you may have the chance to draft Brown as well. Coming out of the draft with Dubois and Brown would be pretty epic.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
1. Horvat is tracking better than Kesler ("not that he's a #2 centre" -Anaheim GM) at same age.

2. Better than 50% likelihood we end up with PLD

Stop pretending you don't know.

So Horvat and "no one knows for sure now."

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I'd honestly take Boeser over Ehlers. I know Ehlers has the "played in the NHL" title but Boeser scored at a more impressive rate in his +1 year. He's outproduced Larkin (who is almost unanimously considered better than Ehlers) +1 in a significantly tougher division.

Last edited:

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
You want mayo on that? Come on, there are only so many early 1st rounders to be had by one team, especially those with any pretense of challenging for playoffs.

Per my long standing 1st round draft policy, I'll take skill+better or average size over skill in an undersized package.

This is hilarious. You do realize young players usually haven't filled out their frame.

The difference in height between ehlers and Virtanen is 1inch. The difference between the two in weight is roughly thirty pounds. By the time we project ehlers who is definitely more skilled at the age of 24-25 that difference in weight will be closer to 5 pounds. Virtanen is listed at around 210 he's not gonna add more than roughly ten pounds in his prime. Whereas ehlers has tons maturing to do and has plenty of room for growth, if we use kessel as a comparison ehlers would put on roughly thirty pounds. Sounds like a huge difference to me.

By your policy shouldn't we take ehlers? The dudes not undersized and puts up way more points.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Benning has retained one 1st rounder each year, including the better quality early ones.

I think you risk turning it into an exercise of accumulating picks, even if high-rated, instead of team building. Delaying bettering your club in favor of winning the yearly best prospect pool award. Like the Jets do and they never go anywhere. And should you suddenly get better, thanks to that reserve list, and if all the main horses are of roughly the same age, cap problems await.

Agree that style matters less than them being good. In dealing McCann, Forsling and Shinkaruk I honestly believe that JB didn't trade any future gamebreakers, at least as his evaluations go.

im not making practical arguments. you said, functionally, who needs [good players] when you have [good players that play like i want] and i said that everyone needs good players because you arent going to get too many of them

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I'd honestly take Boeser over Ehlers. I know Ehlers has the "played in the NHL" title but Boeser scored at a more impressive rate in his +1 year. He's outproduced Larkin (who is almost unanimously considered better than Ehlers) +1 in a significantly tougher division.

Don't they play different positions?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
1. Horvat is tracking better than Kesler ("not that he's a #2 centre" -Anaheim GM) at same age.

2. Better than 50% likelihood we end up with PLD

Stop pretending you don't know.

I don't know about you but when I see Horvat (or PLD) I don't think, "We definitely have enough of these and I would not like anymore."

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I don't really know what this thread is about anymore. I think trades and draft day deals are probably better served in the GM or draft threads, continue in one of those threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad