Virtanen, Demko new top prospects in Vancouver Canucks Fall 2014 Top 20

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I still feel like Jordan Subban's offensive skillset tends to be a bit overrated here. I think in large part, due to his lack of other attributes (size, defensive stability, etc), people compensate by overemphasizing his "offensive ability". Don't get me wrong, he obviously has some very nice offensive skills and if he's ever going to make it, those offensive skills are going to be his meal ticket. In fairness, playing a poor team probably doesn't help, but in general i just don't know that i've seen the sort of ability to just completely take a game over offensively that you typically see from these successful "smallish offensive defencemen" in their post-draft Junior years. And the production just isn't quite there either. He's dynamic for sure and has some particularly flashy abilities, but i'm just not convinced that he's as dynamic as a lot of people want to give him credit for. And "smallish" is probably being generous with Subban, nor is the defensive game near the level that would help balance things out. Big obstacles ahead for him (pun intended). :D

He's going to have to have a monster season this year imo, if i'm going to consider him as the sort of very undersized "offensive defenceman" who looks like a real viable NHL prospect. I'm talking...PPG+ production with continued improvement defensively. Not outside the realm of possibility i guess, but also far from a certainty.

I think some do overrate his skillset a bit, mostly due to his brother but his production on a bad team still sticks out. On top of that, he was quite productive last year on a very bad team. He has all the tools you look for in an offensive dman and from reports, he has good work ethics. Of course like pretty much all our other D prospects, he's a project that'll be years away from being NHL ready.

Also i said he probably has the best offensive skill set out of our group of D prospects... that's actually not saying a whole lot as we are comparing mostly later round picks and all these prospects are in NCAA/Jr or just played 1 season in Utica/NA.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Why do people constantly use Giroux as a comparable to McCann? There is literally nothing similar about them.

There is also nothing similar about Giroux putting up 103 points in 69 games in his draft year and McCann putting up 62 points in 64 games in his.

Not sure about constantly, but Giroux is mentioned as a comparable in some scouting reports. Also drafted at a similar spot.

I give you the production argument though.

Edit: Yeah it's Ryan Kennedy and Bleacher Report, but for arguments sake http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...mparison-and-scouting-report-for-jared-mccann

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad