Viola, Cifu talk about the future of the Panthers (explanation in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
So this us just an end around against " we won't paper the crowd"? In case it wasn't clear who was not paying for the tickets was never the problem, it was the existence if large number if tickets adding zilch to the teams bottom line.

This could also be FOX Florida trying to gauge if anybody is watching.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
FOX Florida would also be a loser if the Panthers left, wouldn't it?

Not really - they would just pick up more college sports from other Fox affiliates.

With the current viewership numbers the Panthers will not get a big increase when the contract runs out.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
FOX Florida would also be a loser if the Panthers left, wouldn't it?

My guess is no, there's lots of stuff that would be significantly cheaper to produce.

Who knows how many people watch, if the county is looking at possibly getting out from under it, I suspect FSF might be considering the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
Not really - they would just pick up more college sports from other Fox affiliates.

With the current viewership numbers the Panthers will not get a big increase when the contract runs out.

My guess is no, there's lots of stuff that would be significantly cheaper to produce.

Who knows how many people watch, if the county us looking at possibly getting out from under it, I suspect FSF might be considering the same.

Then why are they even broadcasting Panthers' games if it's not protifable compared to other available events?

What would justify a network spending potentially tens of thousands $ on tickets given away? Marketing?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Then why are they even broadcasting Panthers' games if it's not protifable compared to other available events?

What would justify a network spending potentially tens of thousands $ on tickets given away? Marketing?

I presume that they are contractually obligated to irrespective of how many people watch.

They do have an incentive to get people watching, it's hard to sell ads to hockey fans with those optics.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Then why are they even broadcasting Panthers' games if it's not profitable compared to other available events?

RSN's live on subscriber fees and in the case of the two FOX Channels in Florida they have locked up every pro team in the state. (NFL does not use RSN's ) If they cut the cord with the Panthers it would allow Comcast to maybe start a CSN-Florida.

With a little over 10% of the season done the Panthers are very much in the playoff mix ( only Carolina and Buffalo seem toast ) - so hopefully a few more will tune in.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I wish there could be 2 pictures posted for these games from each side of the ice. That way we could get a decent idea if the announced attendance is BS. I can only say from the one picture posted above that 10k number seems very generous.

I took pains to post a picture from the Club Red side to show the side not seen on TV.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
10,870 announced in Raleigh (and judging by the pictures, their crowd actually looked smaller than ours.

Move them too?

Karmanos has indicated it is time to sell and last year he cut ties with Jim Rutherford ( now in Pittsburgh ).

We have tended to simply assume that the Panthers are the team destined for Quebec but the reality is Carolina and New Jersey are also shaky. Consider this - Even with the Dolan TV money the Devils get from MSG, the NHL had to loan the Devils money to make payroll a couple of years ago.

I can see PKP dangling a cashier's check of $500 M (USD) to get an established team simply because it would increase the value of TVA.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I'm taking a break here, too much going in circles for something that's ages away from being decided, but couldn't resist here:

10,870 announced in Raleigh (and judging by the pictures, their crowd actually looked smaller than ours.

Move them too?

One of the main reasons people seem to think they're moving is because of the low attendance this year, however people seeing the boxscore of the attendance in Florida don't realize their attendance has been unchanged for years. I've taken the time to do a little comparison of attendance early in the 2013 season against similar opponents and now, taking away the 5k in tickets we now know were given away:

2013: Home opener vs Penguins: 18, 584-5000= 13,584
2014 home opener vs Devils: 11,419

2013: October 19th vs Wild (Saturday): 13, 081-5000= 8,081
2014: October 13th vs Ottawa (Monday): 7311

2013: November 1st vs Blues (Friday) : 12,922-5000= 7,922
2014 November 1st vs Flyers (Saturday): 9,774

2013: October 13th vs Kings (Sunday, random west team): 12,810-5000= 7,810
2014: October 30 vs Coyotes (Thursday, random west team): 7,691

2013 4 game total: 37, 397
2014 4 game total: 36, 195

So as you can see attendance is pretty much unchanged since last year. It's probably untrue that zero tickets were given away to the games this year, but even if you were to knock the 2014 total down to 34k it's a pretty small attendance change.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I'm taking a break here, too much going in circles for something that's ages away from being decided, but couldn't resist here:

(scroll up for complete post)

So as you can see attendance is pretty much unchanged since last year. It's probably untrue that zero tickets were given away to the games this year, but even if you were to knock the 2014 total down to 34k it's a pretty small attendance change.

All we can do is speculate.

But if PKP is willing to spend up to $500M (USD) for a team somebody will jump. PKP might go that high just to increase value of TVA.

I really believe there will be a team in Quebec next season and I think 3 teams are in flux - Florida, Carolina and Nashville.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Karmanos has indicated it is time to sell and last year he cut ties with Jim Rutherford ( now in Pittsburgh ).

We have tended to simply assume that the Panthers are the team destined for Quebec but the reality is Carolina and New Jersey are also shaky. Consider this - Even with the Dolan TV money the Devils get from MSG, the NHL had to loan the Devils money to make payroll a couple of years ago.

I can see PKP dangling a cashier's check of $500 M (USD) to get an established team simply because it would increase the value of TVA.

i don't think any "current" team is headed to quebec city.

most people assume that, when the nhl expands, it will expand to two western cities (likely Seattle and LV) to even up the conferences...so if QC gets a team, that means someone has to relocate.

they don't need to though.

if the NHL has 32 teams, it can mimic what the NFL has done and create two conferences that are not geographically aligned, containing 4 divisions of 4 teams that are geographically/rivalry aligned

Ex:

Campbell Conf:

Div 1: NYR NYI NJ BUF
Div 2: FLA TB CAR WAS
Div 3 QC MON BOS TOR
Div 4: OTT PITT PHI DET

Wales Conf:
Div 1: ANH LA SJ ARI
Div 2: DAL NSH COL STL
Div 3: SEA VAN CGY EDM
Div 4: WPG MIN CHI CBJ

just an example, you could likely align the divisions in several different ways.

there's no better alignment than what the NFL has. having only 4 teams/division with division winners automatically clinching playoffs creates a sense of parity amongst fans. you have a 25% chance of qualifying for the postseason, in a vacuum, when the season begins.

then you have 4 "wildcard" teams, who can come from any division. so if all 4 teams in division 4 have playoff records, all 4 teams make the playoffs.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

But if PKP is willing to spend up to $500M (USD) for a team somebody will jump. PKP might go that high just to increase value of TVA.

I really believe there will be a team in Quebec next season and I think 3 teams are in flux - Florida, Carolina and Nashville.

Right, and as you know we disagree on this issue, but either way the fact of the matter is nothing of importance with regards to the Panthers is happening till May, and nothing will happen in regards to any relocation rumblings involving them till then.

The point of my post was to show everyone how the poor showings this year have been exaggerated. Or rather how in years past the poor showings did not get nearly as much attention, when the situation is virtually unchanged.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
The point of my post was to show everyone how the poor showings this year have been exaggerated. Or rather how in years past the poor showings did not get nearly as much attention, when the situation is virtually unchanged.

Thats not really a good thing...

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
You think the draft is an anchor keeping the team there?

Yikes!

I also think they are good in sunrise for a while, but it has nothing to do with the freaking draft which could be done by conference call if needed ( and I've been to a draft). If it is such a capstone event, why do they simply steal the Tsn feed and cut it short to switch to a taped track and field event no one has heard of.

Plus I suspect the gin blossoms might be available that day. Hey jealousy!

They can move the draft somewhere else in a wink of an eye...

True....

However.... do you two think the NHL would have awarded the draft to Florida in the first place had they remotely thought the team would be moving then?

DyerMaker66*

I think the NHL doesn't think. See: What happened in Atlanta, Phoenix, etc.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
True....

However.... do you two think the NHL would have awarded the draft to Florida in the first place had they remotely thought the team would be moving then?

Perhaps they threw it their way to try and help them but later realized that sometimes you gotta cut a man loose?

I have no idea how this plays out, the report will be the tipping point.I think everyone knows the status quo IS untenable but its not clear if changing the direction is possible. I credit the owners for trying but at this point the Yoda quote is apt.

Jan 19, 2006
Just dropping by the give the perspective of a long time Panthers STHer.

I am ecstatic that ownership has taken the 'no freebies' tact and I am loving the smaller crowds.

I know it looks bad on TV, but I actually enjoy going to games now.

Everyone in the arena is a true hockey fan and most are grizzled veterans of many losing seasons who are starving for something positive on the ice to latch on to. The 8,000+ on hand for the Arizona game on a Thursday night was louder than any of Yorkman's crowds bloated with giveaway tickets. That third period was the most fun I've had at a game in a long time.

This was posted on our forum and I thought it was a great listen.

http://illegalcurve.com/2014/11/01/saturday-spotlight-on-florida-panthers-co-owner-doug-cifu/

I'm hoping the team can continue to play solid defensive hockey in front of Luongo for the rest of the season. We've only had one season of decent hockey down here in the 15 years I have been going to games and attendance and enthusiasm has withered as a result. If the Panthers can put together another good season with hope of further improvement, I think the attendance numbers will surprise many of you.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

I am ecstatic that ownership has taken the 'no freebies' tact and I am loving the smaller crowds.

Everyone in the arena is a true hockey fan and most are grizzled veterans of many losing seasons who are starving for something positive on the ice to latch on to. The 8,000+ on hand for the Arizona game on a Thursday night was louder than any of Yorkman's crowds bloated with giveaway tickets. That third period was the most fun I've had at a game in a long time.

http://illegalcurve.com/2014/11/01/saturday-spotlight-on-florida-panthers-co-owner-doug-cifu/

I'm hoping the team can continue to play solid defensive hockey in front of Luongo for the rest of the season. We've only had one season of decent hockey down here in the 15 years I have been going to games and attendance and enthusiasm has withered as a result. If the Panthers can put together another good season with hope of further improvement, I think the attendance numbers will surprise many of you.

Thanks for sharing your perspective, there was previously another ATH who posted they didn't like the new policy because it depreciated the ability to resell tickets they couldn't use ( which I never really understood, but it's not my skin in the game).

I think there us but one way out of the morass, get more hockey fans ( not people looking to be entertained on the user cheap, not people looking for a nightclub/ country club experience coincident with games). If the bad optics are really reflective of the market you can track if real gains are made as opposed to wondering who paid and who did not for their seats.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ

Given how the premise of this thread is to discuss what STHs want and their perceptions of the devaluation of the product, it's good to hear your perspective. Thanks.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville

Exactly how is Nashville preparing to move? Outside of similar Geography what do they have in common with Carolina and they have nothing in common Florida? They are at 97% capacity attendance. Give me evidence of Nashville's demise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad