Confirmed with Link: Vinny Lecavalier (Reports: 5 years, $4.5 per season, NMC; jersey #40; upds post #1)

Giroux It

Mar 30, 2013
Elizabethtown, PA
This. I'd absolutely take him for 1-3 years.

I seriously think he will get somewhere between 4-6 years. The problem is, he just doesn't really fit here. IMO if the Flyers sign him, its only because they have completely given up on developing a player. And its gonna be Coots

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
I seriously think he will get somewhere between 4-6 years. The problem is, he just doesn't really fit here. IMO if the Flyers sign him, its only because they have completely given up on developing a player. And its gonna be Coots

Explain to me how playing a 20 year old at possibly third line center in the NHL is considered "giving up on his development"?

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
I hope Homer's not dumb enough to give him 5 or 6 years. That's not gonna end well and will put us in more cap trouble.

If he does sign, he should be playing center. That way our #1 and #2 centers can be consistent in the faceoff circle.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey

Yup. I hope we sign Morrow for a year or two instead.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012

No it isn't. It gives us even more center depth, but as people have been assuming for months, Schenn probably moves to wing. And it will help a lot, Schenn and Coots were killing us in faceoffs last year. We need some veteran leadership up front with Briere gone. Coots really isn't ready to take over 2C unless you want disappointment and another rebuild year. It makes a ton of sense to sign Vinny. I just hope its under 5.5 and 4 or less years. Don't want another Briere in a few years, with no buyout for backup.

It certainly makes Laughton expendable though. Maybe we see him moved in a deal for Miller or Halak.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
No it isn't. It gives us even more center depth, but as people have been assuming for months, Schenn probably moves to wing. And it will help a lot, Schenn and Coots were killing us in faceoffs last year. We need some veteran leadership up front with Briere gone. Coots really isn't ready to take over 2C unless you want disappointment and another rebuild year. It makes a ton of sense to sign Vinny. I just hope its under 5.5 and 4 or less years. Don't want another Briere in a few years, with no buyout for backup.

It certainly makes Laughton expendable though. Maybe we see him moved in a deal for Miller or Halak.

Oh hell no. You don't move Laughton for .50 cents on the dollar just because you can't pencil him in right away.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
5-6 years is ridiculous. If that happens, Homer should be fired.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Oh hell no. You don't move Laughton for .50 cents on the dollar just because you can't pencil him in right away.

Not a one-for-one, as part of a deal. Maybe get a rough pmd prospect back, I have no idea who Buffalo and StL have available though. Just saying, we have a hole in goal and Laughton would be expendable, could be he would be used to address that hole.

Personally I'd like to see Thomas signed for a year or two and either give Laughton the 4C or wait to bring him up to the NHL another year.

Giroux It

Mar 30, 2013
Elizabethtown, PA
Not a one-for-one, as part of a deal. Maybe get a rough pmd prospect back, I have no idea who Buffalo and StL have available though. Just saying, we have a hole in goal and Laughton would be expendable, could be he would be used to address that hole.

Personally I'd like to see Thomas signed for a year or two and either give Laughton the 4C or wait to bring him up to the NHL another year.

We don't want a PMD prospect, we need a PMD that STARTS. Thats why Coots becomes the expendable piece. Schenn is your 3C and Laughton starts as the 4C. Hes clearly got the most value, and the only way you can get what you truly need.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
We don't want a PMD prospect, we need a PMD that STARTS. Thats why Coots becomes the expendable piece. Schenn is your 3C and Laughton starts as the 4C. Hes clearly got the most value, and the only way you can get what you truly need.

I don't think we need a starting PMD, at least not this year especially with this cap. Thats what we got Streit for. We'll be fine with Timonen, Streit and Gus. There's not too much available either, although if Couts was available that might change.

I think we'd be better off waiting until next offseason to reevaluate. We'll actually have the need with Timonen gone, a better understanding of where we stand with Giroux, Schenn, Couts and Read having their contracts figured out and knowing better how they're developing (hopefully Couts shows some flashes offensively and Schenn a little more consistency).

We'll also get a better idea of where Gus fits in, maybe top 4. We'll know whats going on with Mesz, although hoping he's gone this summer. Right now we have a lot up in the air and a surplus on defense. Trading Couts would be too hasty, and Schenn doesn't have the defensive upside we need in a 3C IMO.

I think we'd be better off waiting, and if we do need to trade Couts, hopefully he raises his stock this coming year. This year was disappointing and didn't help his value.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
To all the people dreaming about a 2-3 year deal:
How do you think that happens? At 9.5 million per year??

Other teams will offer 5 years. 15 OTHER TEAMS!!

If you guys don't want Vinny (because if you did, and lived in reality, you'd understand why he gets 5 years+) then who do you want?
We just signed streit, and still have money freed up. Should we just let that money stay free? If so, why even sign streit when we can tank?

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Vinny will get 5 years easy. I am just hoping he sees a great opportunity on this Flyer team that he would be able to go against weaker competition being on a line that will probably not go against the other teams top line or the other teams defensive line since Giroux and Couturier seem to have that locked up.

Homer was going hard after Brad Richards so I am sure he will make a big push for Vinny.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
If Homer does not even try to sign Vinny he should be fired immediately!

Players of that pedigree don't hit the market very often. Even if it means moving Schenn to the wing for a couple of years, you do it because it makes your team better.

I think Lecavalier will look for a realistic shot at a cup more than money or term.
Chances of him picking the Flyers are ...well, not very good I fear.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Homer is going to overpay in money and term on one bigger name forward or two lesser ones. Either way, they is going to be some sticker shock and rage on these boards shortly IMO.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
At first I didn't really see a need for him but after realizing he's over 50% is the faceoff dot I wouldn't mind sigining. I been re-watching allot of games this past season and I think it would be best for Schenn to move to wing. His style of play would be better suited at that position. He isn't really much of a playmaker at center that we need. His shot is underrated and sneaky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad