Recalled/Assigned: Vincour, Street and Agozzino recalled

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
There's a lot of guys on the team I'd rather have killing penalties than Carey. Talbot, McLeod, O'Reilly, Landy, Mitchell when he's back, and Tanguay if he can play all see time ahead of Carey easily. I might even play McGinn and Cliche ahead of him, though Carey deserves a look before stating that definitively.

I've said this before, but I'd also like to see Nate start practicing the PK and get a shift here and there like Duchene had early in his career to get him in the game mentally and boost his ice time. I don't want him making any high risk shot blocks, but I think he can get into shooting lanes pretty quickly with his speed, and limit his risk of injuries by approaching it the way Sakic did, and if there's any kind of bobble of the puck at the blue line he can pounce on it and have a breakaway without anyone catching him.

I hope Patrick tries this the next time they're down a couple goals in a game.

All I can say is you're thinking way too much, and being way... way too creative and open minded.

Honestly, I'm done posting what 'I think' we should do. Roy seems to do the opposite of what the collective fan base thinks he is going to do or should do.

I absolutely hate his decisions, at about a 3 to 1 ratio tbh.

The funny thing is... A lot of time 'us fans' have been right, as it pertains to Everberg, Redmond, and other roster decisions. Some of this stuff is not brain surgery either. He continues to play less skilled players with more experience rather than let the youth take over the team.

You see it in who he calls up, you see it in Iginla getting the A instead of Duchene, and you see it in how he deploys his roster on nightly basis.

Hes only recently started to cut Guenin and Holden's minutes, and whala what is happening? Our defense is actually not killing us in games to the level that it was.

How long did he take to change the system??

Roy has been late to the ******* party on a lot of decisions that people had been calling for, and the fan base has been right collectively on a lot of things. The fans are not geniuses either, most of this stuff has been blatantly obvious.

I'd even say injecting three AHL players and their energy into the lineup had a positive effect on the team. For them to be one of our best lines in the first period was quite telling IMO.

Basically, I don't expect anything that makes sense to happen until it's the last ******* thing to try.

/rant

Last edited:

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
You see it in who he calls up, you see it in Iginla getting the A instead of Duchene, and you see it in how he deploys his roster on nightly basis.

Hes only recently started to cut Guenin and Holden's minutes, and whala what is happening? Our defense is actually not killing us in games to the level that it was.

Roy has been late to the ******* party on a lot of decisions that people had been calling for, and the fan base has been right collectively on a lot of things. The fans are not geniuses either, most of this stuff has been blatantly obvious.

Come on. He changed the system after 15 games. Who does that? They won the Central last year, of course he wasn't going to start the season with a new system. 15 games in and changing is remarkably quick.

Same thing with Holden. Took about 15 games before he got his ice time reduced. I guess Holden should have been benched after his first few bad games right? No point in trying to get confidence back in a guy who scored 11 goals last season, was one of the better defencemen in the playoffs, and looked good in preseason.

He took a spot from Daniel Briere, a guy who has 300 NHL goals and almost 700 NHL points, and gave it to a no name rookie in Everberg. Not sure why fans think these random signings should instantly be in the lineup over guys who have carved out long NHL careers. Sure, they should be in if they earn it. Isn't that what Roy did?

Fans call for changes after every loss. If this was a fan run team, Duchene wouldn't be on the Avs. Landeskog wouldn't be on the Avs. EJ wouldn't be on the Avs. Varly wouldn't be on the Avs. The whole coaching staff would have been replaced many times over. Just because people call for a 3rd pairing defenceman being in the lineup before Roy actually does it does not mean Roy is late to the party.

The stuff most people complain about with Roy is his 4th line and 3rd pairing combos. The groups that impact the team the least.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't mind Paul Carey. Thought he was fine last year too. Never understood the hate he got.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I don't mind Paul Carey. Thought he was fine last year too. Never understood the hate he got.

Same, I thought he was OK in his 5 minutes of ice time that he would get. Guy skated and hit, and has OK hands. Having said that, I would have rather seen Street go down, because I would have liked to see what Aggozino can do at this level. I think he projects better long-term than Carey.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Agreed. I actually think he could be a decent to quality 4th line player who can kill penalties and give energy if given the opportunity. I think he is a significantly better hockey player than some of the plugs we have on the 4th line like Cliche and McCleod.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
All I can say is you're thinking way too much, and being way... way too creative and open minded.

Honestly, I'm done posting what 'I think' we should do. Roy seems to do the opposite of what the collective fan base thinks he is going to do or should do.

The funny thing is... A lot of time 'us fans' have been right, as it pertains to Everberg, Redmond, and other roster decisions. Some of this stuff is not brain surgery either. He continues to play less skilled players with more experience rather than let the youth take over the team.

I'd even say injecting three AHL players and their energy into the lineup had a positive effect on the team. For them to be one of our best lines in the first period was quite telling IMO.

Basically, I don't expect anything that makes sense to happen until it's the last ******* thing to try.

/rant
Do you realize sometimes it will take coaches years to change their systems? If you think Roy is stubborn, look around the league. There's plenty more that are even more stubborn. Roy played those AHL guys more than his actual 4th line, what more did you really want?

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
There's a lot of guys on the team I'd rather have killing penalties than Carey. Talbot, McLeod, O'Reilly, Landy, Mitchell when he's back, and Tanguay if he can play all see time ahead of Carey easily. I might even play McGinn and Cliche ahead of him, though Carey deserves a look before stating that definitively.

I've said this before, but I'd also like to see Nate start practicing the PK and get a shift here and there like Duchene had early in his career to get him in the game mentally and boost his ice time. I don't want him making any high risk shot blocks, but I think he can get into shooting lanes pretty quickly with his speed, and limit his risk of injuries by approaching it the way Sakic did, and if there's any kind of bobble of the puck at the blue line he can pounce on it and have a breakaway without anyone catching him.

I hope Patrick tries this the next time they're down a couple goals in a game.

I'm not a fan of your best offensive players killing penalties. You not only risk injury but then they're gassed for other situations.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

/rant

I don't know why you would think it's so outside the box. This has been done for years with star players. They did it with Forsberg when he was young, did it with Duchene when he was younger, lots of teams try it out. It's just a suggestion for when they're down in a game anyway.

I'm not a fan of your best offensive players killing penalties. You not only risk injury but then they're gassed for other situations.

True, but you if you're quick enough to get in the shooting lanes, and close enough, you're not risking big slap shots coming your way that you have to block. That's why you didn't see Sakic going down to block big shots on the PK.

It only gasses the forward if they're playing tons of minutes 5 on 5 and on the PP. They're not doing that with Nate. A lot of times those extra PK shifts help get a star forward into the game.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
As slow as Roy has been to react and change, I'd put his NHL Coach Stubbornness meter around 6. Maybe 5. As much as he frustrates me from time to time, to be honest Quenneville frustrated me about 1000 times more, and obviously Q is a pretty damn good coach. And Ken Hitchcock makes Q look positively weak-willed by comparison.

That's not to say he couldn't have realized the system wasn't working, oh, I don't know, THE PRESEASON. But even the best of NHL coaches make some of the most mind-boggling decisions, and just have a stubborn streak a mile long. It's like a prerequisite to the job or something.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't know why you would think it's so outside the box. This has been done for years with star players. They did it with Forsberg when he was young, did it with Duchene when he was younger, lots of teams try it out. It's just a suggestion for when they're down in a game anyway.

True, but you if you're quick enough to get in the shooting lanes, and close enough, you're not risking big slap shots coming your way that you have to block. That's why you didn't see Sakic going down to block big shots on the PK.

It only gasses the forward if they're playing tons of minutes 5 on 5 and on the PP. They're not doing that with Nate. A lot of times those extra PK shifts help get a star forward into the game.

It just set off a rant, so I don't even remotely feel like defending my word vomit lol.

I don't even completely agree with the entire post when I'm being objective. :D

Edit : I was kind of curious as to how many people would respond negatively to the Fan vs Roy comments, not as many as one would expect to be honest. The waters are clearly murky around here when it comes to how the team has been managed recently.

Also, I personally like the idea. But I like the way Roy has used Duchene for the last shift of the PK on occasion (Wish that happened more).

I also feel like at this point they need to take the kid gloves off a bit, play MacK a fair amount and let him learn through the mistakes. I don't like seeing MacKinnon & 14 minutes next to each other. At least hes been kept at center though. At the start of the season I advocated for MacK to center the third line with O'Reilly in the #2 spot, and in addition having MacK play RW as the exception to in game situations vs the rule (or to start the game).

That was done on occasion last year, but not so much this year. The idea would be to let him grow into facing tougher competition over the course of the season, instead of right away. Roy did try O'Reilly at center for a short time, but we all know how O'Reilly has been playing. Hes been no where near the 50-60 point all situation forward that hes been in past years.

As slow as Roy has been to react and change, I'd put his NHL Coach Stubbornness meter around 6. Maybe 5. As much as he frustrates me from time to time, to be honest Quenneville frustrated me about 1000 times more, and obviously Q is a pretty damn good coach. And Ken Hitchcock makes Q look positively weak-willed by comparison.

That's not to say he couldn't have realized the system wasn't working, oh, I don't know, THE PRESEASON. But even the best of NHL coaches make some of the most mind-boggling decisions, and just have a stubborn streak a mile long. It's like a prerequisite to the job or something.

You know what I do like? Usually, eventually, at some point... He does end up making changes and adjustments that are positive. Maybe not in the order of or exactly what we think should happen, but he does prove that hes not up against a brick wall with no where to go like Sacco.

I'm getting the sense that hes also stopped with the constant line juggling as well. I'm not really a fan of Landeskog - MacK/Mitchell - Iginla, and think Iginla should be next to Duchene like others, but I do respect the fact that hes given his line experiments longer before blowing it up as of late.

His line combinations seem like less of a panic move as of late as well, regardless of if I agree or disagree.

I still dislike his first decision a lot, but the ship usually ends up in the right direction even if it's slower than I'd like.

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I've spent so much time complaining about the defensive structure that it would feel wrong to continue complaining when Roy changed it. It took a bit too long and, reading between the lines, it was partly a player driven initiative but at least he did what had to be done.

When you have the record Avs did last year, I can understand there being a reluctance to change.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I've spent so much time complaining about the defensive structure that it would feel wrong to continue complaining when Roy changed it. It took a bit too long and, reading between the lines, it was partly a player driven initiative but at least he did what had to be done.

When you have the record Avs did last year, I can understand there being a reluctance to change.

I think when you throw Guenin into the mix it makes that whole thing a lot worse. Guenin was also seeing 20 minutes of ice time when all of our defense was healthy. Guenin was scratched a majority of the later part of last season as well.

All of the sudden he became a primary option again even after the added depth. It was infuriating when added to the team struggling with the system.

Then you add Holden's decline, Stuart being not so good in the first few games, and whala.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I think when you throw Guenin into the mix it makes that whole thing a lot worse. Guenin was also seeing 20 minutes of ice time when all of our defense was healthy. Guenin was scratched a majority of the later part of last season as well.
That's funny, just a little bit of research shows me that Nate Guenin, before tonight, had only gone over 18 minutes in one game this year. Not sure that's 20 minutes of ice time like you were talking about.

He never played more than 20 minutes in any game last year beyond December 12 either.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8470317&view=log#&navid=nhl-keymatch

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That's funny, just a little bit of research shows me that Nate Guenin, before tonight, had only gone over 18 minutes in one game this year. Not sure that's 20 minutes of ice time like you were talking about.

He never played more than 20 minutes in any game last year beyond December 12 either.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8470317&view=log#&navid=nhl-keymatch

I could have sworn he played 20 minutes at least once this season (I'll admit to exaggerating that one a bit), wasn't speaking to last season though. I stand corrected.

Actually said he played less, and was scratched in the later part of last season though.

LOL @ Guenin playing 19:48 against Arizona :laugh:

Just funny because of this conversation, yet sad at the same time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad