Recalled/Assigned: Vincour, Street and Agozzino recalled

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
He played him over Hishon for 15 games last year down the stretch and into the playoffs despite adding almost nothing to the team.

He's the new Jeff Shantz.
Carey played his first game last year on 3/12. From 3/8-3/26, Hishon was hurt (surprise). Hishon also didn't have a point in his last 9 AHL games last year. This year, Roy wanted Hishon to work on his defensive game, but he's got the worst +/- on Lake Erie. It doesn't do Hishon much good to play 8 minutes up here, and with all these AHL players up here, maybe he'll get more playing time down in Lake Erie. It seems apparent that Roy isn't a huge fan of him, but he also doesn't appear to be ready anyway.

For the record, I think Carey sucks.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You realize that Hishon would've playing with guys like Malone and Bordeleau right?

He wouldn't have benched Carey in the playoffs if he was in love with him. Who knows if Roy will ever make a top 6 call up and play them there but (thank god) we are not in that situation (yet) so using forwards to eat 8 minutes a night isn't really an exciting proposition. It's funny to me everyone says our prospect pool is the worst in the league, Roy has basically said it without coming out and saying it but yet nobody understands why he's not calling up xyz. Roy is still trying to win games. Maybe at some point it will be time to see what guys have but it's still early. Agozzino and Carey are interchangeable, it doesn't really matter.

He played Carey the first three games in the playoffs. As soon as he decided to put Hishon in instead, he instantly contributed a lot more to the team.

Carey is of the Jeff Shantz, Chris Durno, Travis Brigley, Jordan Krestanovich, Wyatt Smith mold. He doesn't actually contribute anything positively to the team in any area, but he keeps getting games because the coach thinks he's "safe."

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He played Carey the first three games in the playoffs. As soon as he decided to put Hishon in instead, he instantly contributed a lot more to the team.

Carey is of the Jeff Shantz, Chris Durno, Travis Brigley, Jordan Krestanovich, Wyatt Smith mold. He doesn't actually contribute anything positively to the team in any area, but he keeps getting games because the coach thinks he's "safe."

None of those guys save for Shantz really got more than a cup of coffee in the NHL, no? I'm not really sure any of those guys really blocked a more deserving player, and I'm not so sure that's happening now, either.

I don't know what they could've done differently with Shantz either. They just took a big hit on forward depth by trading away Drury and Yelle, and McAmmond was hurt.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'll give it a full year to really see what his callup plan is. He used Everberg like a real player. If Roy gets any semblance of what he wants down there then we can see how he views the callups, for the most part he's still dealing with what he's been given. Carey is probably first to go when any one of the real players come off the shelf anyway. And who is he not calling up other than Rendulic, (who probably needs more NA ice time but I'd be surprised if he doesn't get the call at some point)? Either a bunch of under achieving small skill forwards or 21 year olds or both.

Last edited:

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Everyone was excited for Carey's call up last year, and though he didn't score, he played okay. He adds speed to the bottom six, similar to a Darroll Powe type of player.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Everyone was excited for Carey's call up last year, and though he didn't score, he played okay. He adds speed to the bottom six, similar to a Darroll Powe type of player.

Carey beats Powe in the sexy department thats for sure. Darrell Powe had the kinda face even a mother couldnt love. Powe was so ugly he had to sneak up on a glass of water to drink it.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I recently had a dream where Bruno Gervais was called up over Elliot, Siemens or Noreau. He was paired with Guenin and it was horrifying.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Carey has to really up his physical game, and do it on a consistent basis, if he's going to provide any help to the team from the 4th line.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The difference in results you can expect from going from Agozzino to Carey and vice versa are so small it's no big deal either way.

Carey can skate and is a bigger player. He doesn't have much skill.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The difference in results you can expect from going from Agozzino to Carey and vice versa are so small it's no big deal either way.

Carey can skate and is a bigger player. He doesn't have much skill.

What about the difference between Rendulic and Carey?

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I hope Gervais gets called up but ends up sitting around. He's keeping Corbett out of the lineup :(

That's a shame to hear. Has Gervais's defense been as bad as his +\- suggests, or more of a case of just being on the ice at the wrong time?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He's the Monsters' Guenin. But he's the captain so he'll never get scratched.

So true :laugh:

In reality Gervais is a good vet and leader for the kids to learn from... that is his role. Anything he can actually contribute on the ice is just extra.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
What about the difference between Rendulic and Carey?

Rendulic isn't really suited to a third/fourth line role yet. He's in a good spot in AHL where he can figure out what works and what doesn't work against players who aren't playing at NHL speed.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
I recently had a dream where Bruno Gervais was called up over Elliot, Siemens or Noreau. He was paired with Guenin and it was horrifying.

It's not a dream , it's a nightmare . The guy couldnt play D, even if his life was on the line. I can't imagine the mess i'll have to clean in a GDT , if he ever play with the Avs :shakehead

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Rendulic isn't really suited to a third/fourth line role yet. He's in a good spot in AHL where he can figure out what works and what doesn't work against players who aren't playing at NHL speed.

This is Chambers view, but I don't agree with it. He can play on a 3rd line, and should be given a shot IMO. If he has things to work on still, then let him work on them with the team. He does a lot of things well, and isn't a big liability from what I've seen.

They have too many injuries, and are lacking too much quality in the bottom 4. It really hurt them last year, and it will again if they keep icing guys like Street and Carey.

The situation is too desperate right now for points. They need guys who can help, not guys that can just fill a spot.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
This is Chambers view, but I don't agree with it. He can play on a 3rd line, and should be given a shot IMO. If he has things to work on still, then let him work on them with the team. He does a lot of things well, and isn't a big liability from what I've seen.

They have too many injuries, and are lacking too much quality in the bottom 4. It really hurt them last year, and it will again if they keep icing guys like Street and Carey.

The situation is too desperate right now for points. They need guys who can help, not guys that can just fill a spot.

You're forgetting the one primary factor. If you can't kill penalties, then you're not going to play.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You're forgetting the one primary factor. If you can't kill penalties, then you're not going to play.

There's a lot of guys on the team I'd rather have killing penalties than Carey. Talbot, McLeod, O'Reilly, Landy, Mitchell when he's back, and Tanguay if he can play all see time ahead of Carey easily. I might even play McGinn and Cliche ahead of him, though Carey deserves a look before stating that definitively.

I've said this before, but I'd also like to see Nate start practicing the PK and get a shift here and there like Duchene had early in his career to get him in the game mentally and boost his ice time. I don't want him making any high risk shot blocks, but I think he can get into shooting lanes pretty quickly with his speed, and limit his risk of injuries by approaching it the way Sakic did, and if there's any kind of bobble of the puck at the blue line he can pounce on it and have a breakaway without anyone catching him.

I hope Patrick tries this the next time they're down a couple goals in a game.

Last edited:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
There's a lot of guys on the team I'd rather have killing penalties than Carey. Talbot, McLeod, O'Reilly, Landy, Mitchell when he's back, and Tanguay if he can play all see time ahead of Carey easily. I might even play McGinn and Cliche ahead of him, though Carey deserves a look before stating that definitively.

I've said this before, but I'd also like to see Nate start practicing the PK and get a shift here and there like Duchene had early in his career to get him in the game mentally and boost his ice time. I don't want him making any high risk shot blocks, but I think he can get into shooting lanes pretty quickly with his speed, and limit his risk of injuries by approaching it the way Sakic did, and if there's any kind of bobble of the puck at the blue line he can pounce on it and have a breakaway without anyone catching him.

I hope Patrick tries this the next time they're down a couple goals in a game.

Mackinnon still has no idea where to go positioning wise in the defensive end. I don't think it's the greatest idea to throw Mack into a new role when he just showed a glimpse of confidence offensively. If he can keep up his offensive play, then i'll be all for him getting some PK time, but not before that.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Mackinnon still has no idea where to go positioning wise in the defensive end. I don't think it's the greatest idea to throw Mack into a new role when he just showed a glimpse of confidence offensively. If he can keep up his offensive play, then i'll be all for him getting some PK time, but not before that.

It might not. That's why I'd like to see him practice it. If he can't handle it he can't, but then again it might help him. As odd as it sounds due to the responsibility, a lot of coaches do this with younger offensive players, and it often helps their overall game getting that experience. It helps the way they think the game in the defensive zone, because they have to think differently than what they're used to. I definitely wouldn't try it the first time in a close game though.

FoppaForsberg*

MacKinnons d game will come around. He was surprisingly good defensively in the Q

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad