Confirmed with Link: Vincent Lecavalier retires

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He wasn't really that good in LA. The opposition still out possessed his line mostly when he was on the ice. He rode an unsustainably high shooting percentage in the early going which predictably dwindled as time went on. I don't hold anything against him personally but he wasn't a good hockey player anymore & his short stint with LA didn't really change that.

Was it confirmed that he's not getting it?

Not to my knowledge but I don't think you can alter payment dates for bonuses.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
He wasn't really that good in LA. The opposition still out possessed his line mostly when he was on the ice. He rode an unsustainably high shooting percentage in the early going which predictably dwindled as time went on. I don't hold anything against him personally but he wasn't a good hockey player anymore & his short stint with LA didn't really change that.

Not to my knowledge but I don't think you can alter payment dates for bonuses.

Yeah, he wasn't a star anymore, retiring is the good choice imo, although he could still play in a lesser role at a lower cap hit. Still, he was good enough to play and he would be able to play next year if he really wanted to. And LA fans appreciated him. Was a great 3rd liner for them.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If he was a great 3rd liner they would have asked him to stay on at $2.25m.

That's less than Raffl's cap hit.

Laveuglette

Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Pretty sure most LA fans wouldn't mind him at 2.25M. You can ask them. Not sure about LA's managment, I don't know their plans. Vinny is the one who chose to retire, the LA Kings didn't decide. He said it before even playing with them.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Only because he was so bad in Philly they wanted no part of him past 15-16.

Laveuglette

Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Only because he was so bad in Philly they wanted no part of him past 15-16.

Well, they knew there was a risk. But they took it. Vinny had no legal obligation to retire. He did it, though. He planned it. And that was all before he played for them. When a player hasn't had succes in a while, you want to lessen the risk, which explains this and that. If you want to know what LA thinks of him, ask LA fans, not me. Anyway, I'm done for tonight.

Last edited:

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Ciao...

Now at least he can walk 200 feet to his personal recliner and feel a sense of accomplishment even if he is not paid to do so...

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
It's a minor tragedy that the one loud mouthed Habs fan who had thousands of posts about Lecavalier was banned.

You couldn't mention Lecavalier's initials without that guy showing up ranting about how no one would ever trade for him and he'll never retire in a million years if he's still owed money. All because his feelings were hurt that his idol would rather eat popcorn in Philadelphia than play in Montreal.

Pretty sure that guy is in a dark room in a rocking chair talking to himself by this point. I've never seen someone so obsessed with a player.

Brigid1011*

I'm always disappointed when I see Flyers fans denigrate Lecavalier's character. Not once did he do anything worthy of that scorn. The only thing he's guilty of is growing old too quickly.

Longtime Flyers fan here. I have nothing bad to say about him. He handled it with class. Wish him well in his retirement. He was just too old physically when we got him.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Longtime Flyers fan here. I have nothing bad to say about him. He handled it with class. Wish him well in his retirement. He was just too old physically when we got him.

He didn't handle it with class at all. He whined to reporters as if that wouldn't get back to his teammates.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Longtime Flyers fan here. I have nothing bad to say about him.
I do
I remember 2004
good riddance to bad rubbish, I hope he's remembered for these last few years over the first stage of his career

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Well, they knew there was a risk. But they took it. Vinny had no legal obligation to retire. He did it, though. He planned it. And that was all before he played for them. When a player hasn't had succes in a while, you want to lessen the risk, which explains this and that. If you want to know what LA thinks of him, ask LA fans, not me. Anyway, I'm done for tonight.

Part of the conditions on trading him were that he would retire at the end of the year. LA fans can say they would have taken him back. But if Lombardi has plans to resign Lucic, they wouldn't have been able to fit him without Vinny retiring. Lombardi only traded for him knowing that he was retiring at the end of the year. To try to spin it otherwise is dumb. He never goes to LA without stating he will be retiring at the end of the year.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I feel that a lesser man would have said "FU, Flyers", and waited for July 1st and taken his additional half million... and either donated it to a charity or left it for his family... and he would have had every right, even if not done in a vindictive manner... But he saved the Flyers and Kings Cap Space and dollars and figuratively wrote it off to being the bigger man.

I believe he handled the entire situation in a classy manner and walked away from serious money to be able to get in some Games and a chance to vindicate himself... and never once blasted the Organization nor any Fan. I wonder how many people on here would have taken the same high road... I seriously doubt very many.

This is not at all based on his previous or final Seasons... merely on his off-ice behavior.

I would like to say that I'm disappointed in the way many fellow Flyers fans have acted... but that would be a lie... I'd fully expect it.

JMO

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I feel that a lesser man would have said "FU, Flyers", and waited for July 1st and taken his additional half million... and either donated it to a charity or left it for his family... and he would have had every right, even if not done in a vindictive manner... But he saved the Flyers and Kings Cap Space and dollars and figuratively wrote it off to being the bigger man.

I believe he handled the entire situation in a classy manner and walked away from serious money to be able to get in some Games and a chance to vindicate himself... and never once blasted the Organization nor any Fan. I wonder how many people on here would have taken the same high road... I seriously doubt very many.

This is not at all based on his previous or final Seasons... merely on his off-ice behavior.

I would like to say that I'm disappointed in the way many fellow Flyers fans have acted... but that would be a lie... I'd fully expect it.

JMO

He was making $4.5 million dollars per season to play like **** or not play at all for several years here in Philadelphia. I don't feel bad for him in the slightest bit.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
He was making $4.5 million dollars per season to play like **** or not play at all for several years here in Philadelphia. I don't feel bad for him in the slightest bit.

Not getting into his playing like **** or being treated like **** in an ill fitting system... I'm speaking of his being a class act... who when given the opportunity to get a legal and satisfying parting shot out the door... while pocketing cash that the Flyers and he legitimately negotiated -- rightly or wrongly -- decides to leave money on he table... a millionaire athlete giving a half Mil to billionaire Organizations... to allow them to better compete... and then being talked down like he willingly hurt the Team. He could have waited a week or so and collect his Bonus and then filed his Retirement as he promised with his free will when traded... and been 100% within his rights.

... There may be no greater homer than me when it comes to my Flyers... but there comes a point where I have to call a spade a spade... I cannot hate on a Player who doesn't work out, as long as he doesn't shove it up the Flyers ass... We can move on as classy as he did... But I guess we can't.

Funny how VLC does not treat the Flyers and their Fans one iota as harshly as he has been treated... SMH

EDIT: Hey... is the word 'ass' now on the table?... It got by the censors. haha

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sometimes, when I'm lying in bed, I dream of a day when the word "classy" isn't used to describe every ****ing player who doesn't burn down orphanages.

Maybe not in my lifetime, but hopefully my children's children's children will see a world without this overused and meaningless word.

As for Lecavalier, he wasn't "classy". He blamed others for his faults, it was either not being used right or given enough time or the system or whatever else.

Umberger was a better example of a "classy" player.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Medvedev as well.

The kicker? Vinny got far more chances than Umberger and Medvedev. He was given way too many opportunities, to the detriment of the team.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Great, he's a decent person who makes more than he needs and donates some of the excess to charity. Pretty classy!

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
Sometimes, when I'm lying in bed, I dream of a day when the word "classy" isn't used to describe every ****ing player who doesn't burn down orphanages.

Maybe not in my lifetime, but hopefully my children's children's children will see a world without this overused and meaningless word.

Is it OK to call VL classi, with an "I,"and a little dick hanging off the "C" that bends around and ****s the "L" out of the"A"-"S"-"S", then? :sarcasm:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009

As for Lecavalier, he wasn't "classy". He blamed others for his faults, it was either not being used right or given enough time or the system or whatever else.

Umberger was a better example of a "classy" player.

I refuse to get sucked into your cycle of hate yet again... how many threads have you poisoned with your obvious hatred for VLC?

I have yet to see anywhere where he has passed any blame whatsoever... What he has done is show disappointment and frustration with the benching... and frankly I would be disappointed if he didn't, and the Fan-base would call him a quitter who didn't care for the Team and let them down... "He just doesn't care... see?".

He never, never never blasted the Organization nor the fans... He is a gazillion times more classy than the Debbie Downer Flyers fans who hate on him in here.

... And I place Umby along with Vinny as being classy... never hinted otherwise.

Last edited:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Great, he's a decent person who makes more than he needs and donates some of the excess to charity. Pretty classy!

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=671015

I guess Cooke is a classy guy now.

Vinny may have been classy in TB. But as a Flyer he was a failure in just about every way he could have been.

I'll take this to mean that you guys refuse Bonuses at your job so the Company can operate better?

Not talking about charities, my friends -- although, yes that is classy also -- I'm talking about manning up and taking the high road... and in this case leaving half a MILLION dollars on the table as a gesture of good faith between him and the Organizations.

Frankly, I would have screwed the Flyers if I were in that position... Hexy should kiss his ass for the help... offsets some of the Umberger Dead Cap Space. I hope you notice that the Flyers have also been very classy with this... it is only the fans who are being *******s.

EDIT: Hmm... 'ass' is allowed but add 'hole' and it gets the hook. Interesting. haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad