Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Clown-Waving-Hand-And-Says-Goodbye-Animated-Gif.gif

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
It's a good news for us, cap wise. Very good. But honestly, the guy was very classy when he was here. Most players would have complained much, much more than him in his situation.

Also had a great moment with his hattrick in one of his firsts games as a Flyers. That third goal really was something.

Glad he had the chance to play again in LA and that it went well. Also glad he wasn't on our team anymore. It was the best for both parties.

backburner

May 6, 2011
NJ, USA
It's a good news for us, cap wise. Very good. But honestly, the guy was very classy when he was here. Most players would have complained much, much more than him in his situation.

Also had a great moment with his hattrick in one of his firsts games as a Flyers. That third goal really was something.

Glad he had the chance to play again in LA and that it went well. Also glad he wasn't on our team anymore. It was the best for both parties.

so slow

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Regardless of his tenure as a Flyer, Lecavalier had a tremendous, arguably Hall of Fame worthy career.

I'm glad he got to taste a little bit of individual success in LA before riding off into the Florida sunset.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
For me, his signing was the final warning that Holmgren had lost his mind and had become an antiquated GM. I lost all faith in Holmgren right then.

As for Vinny, he is easily the player I disliked the most to ever play for the Flyers. A complete slug and detriment to the team. Yet his ego kept telling him otherwise. He was given chance after chance, even though it clearly was not best for the team. Any other narrative being thrown around is revisionist history. A truly terrible Flyer.

Laveuglette

Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
But he was soooo good in LA! I thought for sure he had 3 more years left in him. What a stupid idea for the Flyers to give up on him.

He was good in LA, just ask any LA fan what they think of him. Could have continued playing, but he chose to retire. Flyers really did a poor job with him. It's really a shame. I love the Flyers, but that was ugly. Especially the fans on this board, actually, Vinny could be on the ice for 10 seconds and all the bad plays that happened +/- 5 mins would be Vinny's fault according to some.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
hattrick in one of his firsts games as a Flyers.

Wow, I have no recollection of that. Game log says it was just his 7th game as a Flyer. We must have been so pumped up after that game thinking we'd be some huge offensive powerhouse with Good Vinny in the lineup, but I don't remember thinking that.

What a sad, slow, withering decomposition things became shortly thereafter.

Laveuglette

Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Wow, I have no recollection of that. Game log says it was just his 7th game as a Flyer. We must have been so pumped up after that game thinking we'd be some huge offensive powerhouse with Good Vinny in the lineup, but I don't remember thinking that.

What a sad, slow, withering decomposition things became shortly thereafter.

Giroux slumped at the beginning of that season and Vinny was our best player for the first few weeks. We were losing most of our games at that time, which is why probably nobody was pumped. Then Berube changed the style of the team (for the best, our team started winning more), and Giroux got back to normal form. IIRC, Laviolette was fired 3 games into the season, but at the beginning, Berube still used Lavy's system to have time to adjust. I think Vinny could have been very good under Laviolette, but struggled with Berube/Hackstol more defensive style. He was not a fit, it was awful. They should have traded him ASAP but they didn't. Whatever. I'm glad he had the chance to redeem himself to everybody that's not a Flyers fan (and a Vinny hater de facto) with LA. He was such an unique talent and deserved to finish on a better note. He played 3rd line with LA and was their best goalscorer for the time he was there(I haven't verified this, saw it on the main board... but he had 10 goals in 42 games, on pace for 20 in the season with 3rd line minutes). Pretty crazy if you compare that with his play here. If it wasn't for his stunt with the Flyers, I'm pretty sure he would still be playing.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Vinny signing here was hugely influenced by Laviolette. There's a lot of questions that should've been asked.

Laveuglette

Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
For me, his signing was the final warning that Holmgren had lost his mind and had become an antiquated GM. I lost all faith in Holmgren right then.

As for Vinny, he is easily the player I disliked the most to ever play for the Flyers. A complete slug and detriment to the team. Yet his ego kept telling him otherwise. He was given chance after chance, even though it clearly was not best for the team. Any other narrative being thrown around is revisionist history. A truly terrible Flyer.

His ego? Are you serious? What do you blame it for? Playing when the coach asked him to play? And where the coach asked him to play... I mean, Vinny never had ego issues. When Chief asked him to play 2nd line, he played 2nd line. When he put him on the 4th line, he played 4th line. When he was in the pressbox, he didn't complained much. Can't blame him for following Chief's directions. He was pretty bad (especially on the 4th line, he was never a defensive player, and the 4th line has a big defensive role), but can't blame him for the decision. It wasn't his.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
His ego? Are you serious? What do you blame it for? Playing when the coach asked him to play? And where the coach asked him to play... I mean, Vinny never had ego issues. When Chief asked him to play 2nd line, he played 2nd line. When he put him on the 4th line, he played 4th line. When he was in the pressbox, he didn't complained much. Can't blame him for following Chief's directions. He was pretty bad (especially on the 4th line, he was never a defensive player, and the 4th line has a big defensive role), but can't blame him for the decision. It wasn't his.

I'm always disappointed when I see Flyers fans denigrate Lecavalier's character. Not once did he do anything worthy of that scorn. The only thing he's guilty of is growing old too quickly.

Laveuglette

Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
I'm always disappointed when I see Flyers fans denigrate Lecavalier's character. Not once did he do anything worthy of that scorn. The only thing he's guilty of is growing old too quickly.

His 2011 injury sure didn't help him, was never the same after it. He wasn't superstar Lecavalier anymore, but the guy still was a class act and loved the game. I've never seen him really complain about his situation, while most players of his pedigree would have whined a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad