Vince Dunn

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Good lord no way i'll throw 12m a year on a player...
You'd rather spend that on Grubauer and Schwartz?

It's all about spending money wisely. MacKinnon, while producing at a PPG in Seattle would turn a couple of Kraken players into 20+ goal scorers, and probably raise the efficiency of the PP substantially.

This team needs a line driver if they hope to have any real success. sorry, but Beniers is not likely to be that player.

Overpaying mid-ranged UFAs that can't drive lines doesn't make anyone on the team better, won't really increase the teams competitve level, and just wastes cap.

If you are going to spend a lot in the UFA market, it should be on impact players, not bandaids.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
You'd rather spend that on Grubauer and Schwartz?

It's all about spending money wisely. MacKinnon, while producing at a PPG in Seattle would turn a couple of Kraken players into 20+ goal scorers, and probably raise the efficiency of the PP substantially.

This team needs a line driver if they hope to have any real success. sorry, but Beniers is not likely to be that player.

Overpaying mid-ranged UFAs that can't drive lines doesn't make anyone on the team better, won't really increase the teams competitve level, and just wastes cap.

If you are going to spend a lot in the UFA market, it should be on impact players, not bandaids.

you are asking that i would give Mcdavid money to MacKinnon who is a completely different type of Center... No i wouldn't...

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
you are asking that i would give Mcdavid money to MacKinnon who is a completely different type of Center... No i wouldn't...
The cap will be going up. A deal like that is going to be less cap percentage than the Matthews deal over it's span.

MacKinnon i a different type of center?

MacKinnon dominates games. If you don't believe he is a top 3 or 4 center in the world right now, you don't watch enough Colorado games and just look at the stats.

He's a force, and overpaying him by 1-2 million is money well spent to get a player of his caliber to sign with a recent expansion team.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The cap will be going up. A deal like that is going to be less cap percentage than the Matthews deal over it's span.

MacKinnon i a different type of center?

MacKinnon dominates games. If you don't believe he is a top 3 or 4 center in the world right now, you don't watch enough Colorado games and just look at the stats.

He's a force, and overpaying him by 1-2 million is money well spent to get a player of his caliber to sign with a recent expansion team.

And he's not going to be leaving Colorado especially not to Seattle...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what we are giving gru.. If he didn't get it form us he would had gotten it from some other team in FA. Not his fault he rest of the team is crap defensively.

Only 1 player comes close to be worth 12m that's Mcdavid...

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
And he's not going to be leaving Colorado especially not to Seattle...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what we are giving gru.. If he didn't get it form us he would had gotten it from some other team in FA. Not his fault he rest of the team is crap defensively.

Only 1 player comes close to be worth 12m that's Mcdavid...

But given this team's makeup, is Grubauer worth his contract instead of just having kept Vanecek?

If you read these boards the past couple of days, you would know that I have been defending both Grubauer and Driedger and blaming the team defense for the poor save percentage.

GDT: - Game 32: Calgary Flames (15-7-6) @ Seattle Kraken (10-17-4) - 7:00 p.m. PT / 10:00 p.m. ET

Colorado is going to be ridiculously tight against the cap. WA tax status could be a boost to recruitment. I would definitely put an offer out there for him and Matthews if either make it to UFA status if I were Francis.

If I recall correctly, I was arguing with you last spring that this team should not be picking overpriced guys on long term deals like Voracek, Duchene, or Johansen because they needed to build through the draft and save their cap. And wasn't your argument that the team needed to be "good" and you didn't want to watch a bad team?

What changed your mind?

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
So you rather waste cap space on bad contracts in the expansion draft forcing the team to give up draft picks and other assets to make improvements just cause they put them selves into cap hell just to appease the fan base... Having a weak prospect pool is not how you build a franchise. Look at Vegas they don't have that great of a prospect pool cause they keep giving up those assets.
Vegas started off with a pretty awesome prospect pool but turned most not all into vets with idea to win it all sooner rather than later

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Vegas started off with a pretty awesome prospect pool but turned most not all into vets with idea to win it all sooner rather than later

And they are now running into serious cap problems. They can't afford to keep that roster and seems the best idea is to keep adding more expensive players..

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The Cap will go up

They are $10,347,473 above the cap via LITR money. They can't take activate anyone from LTIR.

The cap isn't going to go up by 10m in a couple months or would it go up that much for a couple years or more.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
They are $10,347,473 above the cap via LITR money. They can't take activate anyone from LTIR.

The cap isn't going to go up by 10m in a couple months or would it go up that much for a couple years or more.
The way you put it makes me think they will make some changes maybe Lehner will go...McNabb(UFA) will go the highest bidder...maybe the Kings get him back...Reilly Smith is a UFA too so...

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

Vegas has 5 millon in cap space currently, and Pacioretty just had wrist surgery and is obviously eligible for LTIR. Martinez may be out all season as he recovers from the facial injury.

They can now put Pacioretty on LTIR whenever Eichel or Martinez are ready to return and they have no issues.

Vegas likely won't move Pacioretty to LTIR until someone else is ready to return, as having him on the active roster is helping them to accumulate LTIR pool from Eichels contract.

That pool may be large enough later in the season that they can have both Pacioretty and Eichel active, as long as Martinez stays on LTIR.

If they have to move someone, if they can find a taker for Dadonov, they can bring everyone else back.

And they are going to be a favorite to win the cup if they can get everyone back. If they win a championship, then no one will even care about the cap hell or future cap issues. They will be world champions.

The offseason will be another story, but they are throwing all their eggs in one basket to win now. They are an older team and their window is closing. We shall see if it pays off.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Vegas has 5 millon in cap space currently, and Pacioretty just had wrist surgery and is obviously eligible for LTIR. Martinez may be out all season as he recovers from the facial injury.

They can now put Pacioretty on LTIR whenever Eichel or Martinez are ready to return and they have no issues.

Vegas likely won't move Pacioretty to LTIR until someone else is ready to return, as having him on the active roster is helping them to accumulate LTIR pool from Eichels contract.

That pool may be large enough later in the season that they can have both Pacioretty and Eichel active, as long as Martinez stays on LTIR.

If they have to move someone, if they can find a taker for Dadonov, they can bring everyone else back.

And they are going to be a favorite to win the cup if they can get everyone back. If they win a championship, then no one will even care about the cap hell or future cap issues. They will be world champions.

The offseason will be another story, but they are throwing all their eggs in one basket to win now. They are an older team and their window is closing. We shall see if it pays off.
Might be sounding negative here but I have little faith Vegas gets into any trouble. Teams seem to have a figured a way to work the system and I am pretty sure the Knights will manage somehow this season.

The upcoming off-season will end up being a challenge for sure whether they win or do not win the SC. But they are definitely all-in right now.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Might be sounding negative here but I have little faith Vegas gets into any trouble. Teams seem to have a figured a way to work the system and I am pretty sure the Knights will manage somehow this season.

The upcoming off-season will end up being a challenge for sure whether they win or do not win the SC. But they are definitely all-in right now.
Yeah, that was my point, Vegas is not in the dire straights that GSTommyLee made them out to be while trying to draw a correlation about how trading prospects for or signing star players will only lead to disaster.

And to that, I say, "sure, it will lead to issues, but if you win a cup, it was totally worth it, and if you don't sign expensive players, but never win anything, what have you accomplished?"

The trick is spending at the right time to give your team the best chance to win it all. Too early and the cap will derail your build. Too late and you miss your window. Patience is key, but at some point GMs also have to be aggressive. Conservative building and some luck likely only gets you 3/4s of the way to a championship.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yeah, that was my point, Vegas is not in the dire straights that GSTommyLee made them out to be while trying to draw a correlation about how trading prospects for or signing star players will only lead to disaster.

And to that, I say, "sure, it will lead to issues, but if you win a cup, it was totally worth it, and if you don't sign expensive players, but never win anything, what have you accomplished?"

The trick is spending at the right time to give your team the best chance to win it all. Too early and the cap will derail your build. Too late and you miss your window. Patience is key, but at some point GMs also have to be aggressive. Conservative building and some luck likely only gets you 3/4s of the way to a championship.

Oh absolutely. Drafting well and good coaching will get you in a place where you can then spend your cap on making big $$ acquisitions. Luck (and injuries) also play a massive role in the long SC playoff run. Timing on a big trade and a realistic look at both the current and future is also critical.

Vegas may have a crappy prospect pool but at this time their focus is winning the SC. They have been close enough to it that adding a healthy Eichel should most definitely put them over the top. And honestly, even if they don't, they have spent their 1st round picks pretty wisely. Stone was 25 (or 26) when they acquired him. Eichel is 25. That is basically an elite 1st line C and 1st line W. Didn't end up trading their assets for an average goalie/skater. Also, those 1st round picks are basically in the 25-32 range so quite late.

finnishflash13

Oct 28, 2020
Kraken fans who are just now realizing Dunn has an edge, clearly didn't watch him with the Blues or the Chicago Wolves. He's always been good for some highlight reel hits and fights throughout the season.

Ah yes, and my Dunn game used home set 1 jersey just shipped today. So sick.

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Kraken fans who are just now realizing Dunn has an edge, clearly didn't watch him with the Blues or the Chicago Wolves. He's always been good for some highlight reel hits and fights throughout the season.

Ah yes, and my Dunn game used home set 1 jersey just shipped today. So sick.
Remember when Dunn one punched the other team's goon on the way to the locker room?

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Gabriel is a goon who likes to collect punches. Last season he'd trash talk at the other team during warm ups to set up fights on his first shift. Apparently, Boughner thought it fired up the team and showed "toughness".

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Some Dunn trade news on the latest episode
Summary for those who don't want to listen.

Some kind of deal around Dunn for Hornqvist + prospects.

According to the podcast, the trade was not rejected but temporarily put on hold. This is something both sides would like to continue on this.
I don't see any reason for us to do this at this time because forwards are our position of strength whereas puck-moving D-men are what we need more than trading away. If this does happen, those prospects better be damn good.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

I don't see any reason for us to do this at this time because forwards are our position of strength whereas puck-moving D-men are what we need more than trading away. If this does happen, those prospects better be damn good.
I absolutely see no reason for this. Not sure what Hornquist brings to the Kraken. Prospects would have to be high end!!

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I absolutely see no reason for this. Not sure what Hornquist brings to the Kraken. Prospects would have to be high end!!

If this happens it has to be because the Panthers are paying heavy in futures to dump Hornqvist's contract and get a cheap win-now player in Dunn. It makes sense for the Kraken if they're making a tank move (trading Dunn weakens the current team a lot) AND getting a big futures return in the trade.

But the Panthers are not moving Knight or Lundell and they don't have many other futures. All their 1sts are gone and their prospect pool is thin. Off the top of my head I know Sourdif and Samoskevich are good but it's really not that enticing. I don't see how a deal here would make sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad