Value of: Vince Dunn

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
Perunovich plays on the right side, and I'm not confident he'll ever make the team based on the eye test.

Gunnarsson is no longer a viable d-man. Bortuzzo is the definition of expendable, and Scandella and Faulk shouldn't be in our long term plans.

My ideal future left side would be Krug, Dunn, and Mikkola. I just think that trading one of our low cost, solid young d-man with Dunn's skill-set would not be wise long term.

Reactions: Ranksu

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Based on what I’m reading here it doesn’t seem like he really moves the needle for NJ. They have Smith coming up and already roll Butcher out. NJ needs at least a solid mid pairing two way option for a trade to be worthwhile. Even then teams are willing to move players getting paid real money for pennies on the dollar in this environment and it’s probably unnecessary to give up real assets for a good but not great young player.

Reactions: Auston City Limits

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
Dunn has shown extremely well by a lot of the advanced stats so far in his career. Really high end offense creation numbers at even strength and on the power play while still being above average defensively. It needs to be taken with a grain of salt given the role he played but he looks like he could be a good second pair defenseman on most teams. However Krug, Parayko and Scandella are all better than him and Faulk has that huge contract so he'll play above Dunn as well. A trade would make the most sense for player and team.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Dunn has shown extremely well by a lot of the advanced stats so far in his career. Really high end offense creation numbers at even strength and on the power play while still being above average defensively. It needs to be taken with a grain of salt given the role he played but he looks like he could be a good second pair defenseman on most teams. However Krug, Parayko and Scandella are all better than him and Faulk has that huge contract so he'll play above Dunn as well. A trade would make the most sense for player and team.
Dunn is better than scandella. Scandella is only a defensive dman.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Perunovich plays on the right side, and I'm not confident he'll ever make the team based on the eye test.

Gunnarsson is no longer a viable d-man. Bortuzzo is the definition of expendable, and Scandella and Faulk shouldn't be in our long term plans.

My ideal future left side would be Krug, Dunn, and Mikkola. I just think that trading one of our low cost, solid young d-man with Dunn's skill-set would not be wise long term.
I think if it gives us a mid round first + then do it. We need to get some younger better players in development.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

Dunn might have more trade value and more general value to the organization as a contract and long-term contributor, but Scandella is a better defender. Scandella looked good for the Blues handling top-4 minutes and Dunn hasn't really commanded that role, yet.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
That depends on circumstances. Dunn puts up much better numbers but is lacking defensively. Scandella is above average defensively but is a black hole on offense. So, if we already have Krug, Faulk, and possibly Perunovich as PMD's, Scandella becomes the more valuable asset, despite the fact that his value may not be as easy to document.

Last edited:

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
That depends on circumstances. Dunn puts up much better numbers but is lacking defensively. Scandella is above average defensively but is a black hole on offense. So, if we already have Krug, Faulk, and possibly Perunovich as PMD's, Scandella becomes the more valuable asset, despite the fact that his value may not be as easy to document.
I agree with you 100% I just think value wise Dunn is worth more and over all better.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Promoting Parayko to #1 in place of Petro and adding Krug doesn’t turn a top 3 D in the league to atrocious

I don't think it's that simple. Instead of being able to ince Parayko + Pietrangelo for ~45 minutes a night, you'll be icing Krug + Parayko together for ~25 minutes a night.

That's a huge difference. I wouldn't say the Blues defense is atrocious... but I don't think I'd even consider it top 10 anymore.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I don't think it's that simple. Instead of being able to ince Parayko + Pietrangelo for ~45 minutes a night, you'll be icing Krug + Parayko together for ~25 minutes a night.

That's a huge difference. I wouldn't say the Blues defense is atrocious... but I don't think I'd even consider it top 10 anymore.
Agreed! ... Sadly.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

You’ll think differently when you see Parayko go from a top 20 defender to a top 5.

Reactions: 67Blues

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
You’ll think differently when you see Parayko go from a top 20 defender to a top 5.

That doesn't change the fact he's only on the ice for ~25 minutes a game.

How much confidence do you have in a Scandella - Faulk pairing? Where would you rank them compared to other 2nd line pairings?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Really the blues d is atrocious lol. I disagree
Well it's nothing close to Cup run d-core. Too many weak points, too many which need to sheltered.

There is currently 3 dmen who can defend. Parayko, Scandella and Bortuzzo. I don't count Gunnar, 'cus he's questionmatk will he be healthy again? And I don't count Mikkola, 'cus God knows what he needs to done get icetime at Blues Jersey. He has been already NHL ready dmen for 1-year. Hope he'll get opportunity or trade him for prospect forward.

And it's crazy that I have to include Bortuzzo too, only tells how slim our d-core is. This team was built strong defensive system and it get it for us Stanley Cup. Not type of players like Faulk who needs to babysitter. Dunn goes same category,but at least he can improve/develope his game compare to Faulk. Dunn has years left, Faulk is what he's.

Krug is question mark, but he lived fully behind the one of the best NHL line, Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak. You can be limited by defensively behind those guys. We don't have that good 1st line like Boston.

You have to be pretty blindfolded if you think our d-core is anything close what it was.

It's not atrocious, but it isnt anything near as top10. Close to 15-20 range now or worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vollie27 and PAZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad