Friedman: Vince Dunn available, Blues looking for a first round pick

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I agree that a futures package would be the best return for Dunn, but I don't think he will fetch a 1st. Perhaps as we get closer to the TDL that will change. I would be happy with a high/mid 2nd and a prospect. Preferably a RD who is a couple of years away.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I agree that a futures package would be the best return for Dunn, but I don't think he will fetch a 1st. Perhaps as we get closer to the TDL that will change. I would be happy with a high/mid 2nd and a prospect. Preferably a RD who is a couple of years away.

Ordinarily, I'd think that with a few more years of team control (two or three?) if the acquiring team could work out a longer term deal with Dunn that team would be a good team and be in win now mode and a low first would work. With the cap and weird season going on (is any team really going to "go for it" this season?) I'm not sure what any team would offer beyond a perfunctory mid-round pick and mid-tier prospect. Does any team with cap space want to add what it might take to sign Dunn for four or five years? Something tells me if a team was willing to offer a first it would have happened already. I could see this trade deadline be a total buyer's market and few guys moving.

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
You people realize this entire thread is based on Dunn getting benched for one game for poor play? Coaches do this quite often, especially when they have a deep roster.

Dunn is not available.

Philly benched Konecny a couple games ago, does that mean he's available too?

Reactions: finnishflash13

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I think I would prefer picks rather than player for player. That's not saying I want to go out and trade him but at least then it would give some breathing room with the cap.

Reactions: Colt55

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
You people realize this entire thread is based on Dunn getting benched for one game for poor play? Coaches do this quite often, especially when they have a deep roster.

Dunn is not available.

Friedman is connected, but if you read between the lines and examine his actual words, I think it's closer to what you're saying, but not bang-on. He clearly says they had trade talks about him in the summer and I believe that. "Not available" applies to a much smaller number of players on the team. Whether or not he's on the block now is another issue and Friedman clearly doesn't say that. And "they are believed" to want a first rounder is awfully coy language. He's just doing the unfortunately predictable hockey insider move of "I'm not sayin', but I'm just sayin'."

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Dunn playing well since "rumors" were circulated. Needed a kick in the backside apparently.
combine a guy that's a slow starter anyways, throw in a new guy that brings the exact same skill set as he has, and self-apply pressure.. eh.. think it was overblown before, and it'll be just fine.
now, does that mean he's not getting traded? personally, I think he does sooner or later. with the D the blues have, and him being shaky, a day off was a given. think everyone overreated

Reactions: Flyer lurker

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
-trading Edmundson
-letting Pietrangelo go
-now thinking of trading Dunn

Edmundson was solid against slow teams, but was downright bad against teams with any speed. Watch the footage and check out his statistical usage. The coaching staff gave up on him in the Boston series and for very good reason. Dude is a fine bottom-pairing defenseman and nothing else. Even at his worst last season, Faulk was a superior player, and he's been outstanding this season. If you think a significant upgrade from Edmundson to Faulk is dismantling, you're going to have to pitch that to the Blues' board and see what kind of reaction you get.

Dunn also saw small minutes in the playoffs in their Cup run. It was just Bouwmeester-Parayko as the shutdown pair and then Pietrangelo keeping the rest of the rotating cast together. The rest of the guys were degrees of solid in their roles, but only because those roles were massively limited behind the three-headed-monster. Losing Bouwmeester wasn't in anyone's control, so the only hint of dismantling is letting Pietrangelo walk.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
-trading Edmundson
-letting Pietrangelo go
-now thinking of trading Dunn

-Faulk is an upgrade over Edmundson. Losing Bouwmeester due to health issues/retirement is a much bigger loss.

Edited to add: I completely forgot Edmundson struggled that postseason. He played well in the WCF run and in 2016-2017. He struggled to the point where Berube scratched him for Bortuzzo. In Game 5. Of the SCF.

-Pieterangelo leaving stinks, but the Blues tried to make it work and things didn’t work out.

-I like Dunn, but he’s expendable and can be replaced with what the Blues have in the pipeline in Perunovich.

Last edited:

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010

Dunn is not available.

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010

The Blues could waive Gunnarson and free up that money, so they do not have to make a trade. I think they will because it is becoming clear that Parayko, Faulk, and Krug will be protected and I doubt the Blues will want to lose Dunn for nothing, unless we are determined to go all in, so a late 1st or early 2nd round pick is what i expect coming back.

Krug/Faulk
Scandella/Parayko
Mikkola/Gunnar/Bortz

It is not much worse than the 2019 Stanly Cup Champion D Corp. Especially if this is the level of play we get from Faulk the whole year.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
The Blues could waive Gunnarson and free up that money, so they do not have to make a trade. I think they will because it is becoming clear that Parayko, Faulk, and Krug will be protected and I doubt the Blues will want to lose Dunn for nothing, unless we are determined to go all in, so a late 1st or early 2nd round pick is what i expect coming back.

Krug/Faulk
Scandella/Parayko
Mikkola/Gunnar/Bortz

It is not much worse than the 2019 Stanly Cup Champion D Corp. Especially if this is the level of play we get from Faulk the whole year.
Gunnar would have to get claimed off waivers. Otherwise, Blues are only clearing 1M.

A difficult move is going to have to be made between now and May 8th.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Gunnar would have to get claimed off waivers. Otherwise, Blues are only clearing 1M.

A difficult move is going to have to be made between now and May 8th.

Actually they were talking on 101.1 ESPN local that blues could move 2 players from the 25 man roster to taxi squad and run with 23 to get tarasenko in.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00