Friedman: Vince Dunn available, Blues looking for a first round pick

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Both Elliotte Friedman in 30 Thoughts and Frank Seravalli on Insider Trading say Vince Dunn could be had out of St. Louis - healthy scratch tonight.

Friedman believes St. Louis was looking for a 1st rounder in return.

31 Thoughts: How the Dubois-Laine trade finally came together

Vince Dunn was off the second power play in St. Louis’s morning skate Tuesday at Vegas. Coach Craig Berube would not reveal his lineup, but will that mean a healthy scratch?
Dunn has had a rough start, but his talent is respected. St. Louis had a lot of trade talks about him in the summer before signing him. They are believed to be looking for a first rounder

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's to prevent him from getting hurt

I sincerely doubt that.

How often do players get healthy scratched when not right at the deadline? You almost never see players scratched this early into the year to "prevent him from getting hurt". What makes a lot more sense was that he was a -2 with less than 15 minutes in the last game, so he's getting healthy scratched for his play.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Am I crazy for thinking the Leafs should be all over this?

Obviously, they’d have to clear some cap space
I personally think the only thing the Leafs could do IMO, is upgrade what they already have - and I don't think Dunn-dunn-duuuunn is an upgrade at this point unless they absolutely want him in their bottom-pairing.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
This is strange, wasn't he a stalwart part of the Blues championship team? That was like, 15 minutes ago.

No, he was a bottom-pairing guy who only played 15 and a half minutes a game in the playoffs. Pietrangelo, Parayko, and Bouwmeester did massive lifting and none of the other defensemen were "stalwart" in any meaning of the word. He was reliable and is a good puck-mover, but he was bad in the bubble and has started the season poorly, too.

Part of the problem right now is that the Blues have been trying to force a Krug-Parayko pairing despite the fact that Krug cannot and has never carried the defensive responsibility that Parayko must for the Blues. Krug was used in Boston much like the Blues have historically used Dunn. But with Krug-Parayko, it makes all of their defensive pairings vulnerable and they're easier to match up against. They need to keep Scandella and Parayko together and figure out if Krug-Faulk or Dunn-Faulk works. If the Blues don't trade Dunn right away, I expect Scandella-Parayko to get reunited long term and for Dunn's game to improve as everybody's roles make more sense.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
I think the Leafs are pretty set with Rielly and Muzzin in the left side. They also have Lehtonen, Sandin, etc. The only thing the Leafs could do IMO, is upgrade what they already have - and I don't think Dunn-dunn-duuuunn is an upgrade at this point unless you want him in your bottom-pairing.

Good points, my thinking was that with Dermott looking more and more like he’s on the outs, they may want to add some youth on the back end. They’re also going to lose someone in the expansion draft most likely.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
No, he was a bottom-pairing guy who only played 15 and a half minutes a game in the playoffs. Pietrangelo, Parayko, and Bouwmeester did massive lifting and none of the other defensemen were "stalwart" in any meaning of the word. He was reliable and is a good puck-mover, but he was bad in the bubble and has started the season poorly, too.

Part of the problem right now is that the Blues have been trying to force a Krug-Parayko pairing despite the fact that Krug cannot and has never carried the defensive responsibility that Parayko must for the Blues. Krug was used in Boston much like the Blues have historically used Dunn. But with Krug-Parayko, it makes all of their defensive pairings vulnerable and they're easier to match up against. They need to keep Scandella and Parayko together and figure out if Krug-Faulk or Dunn-Faulk works. If the Blues don't trade Dunn right away, I expect Scandella-Parayko to get reunited long term and for Dunn's game to improve as everybody's roles make more sense.

I thought Dunn was on the second pair of the Blues championship team with Parayko..

If it wasn't him what are the pairings?

Curious to know, thx.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Good. He can skate and move the puck but is trash defensively. Now that we have Krug, and Perunovich on the way, Dunn is the odd man out.

I still think he can help a team that needs a PMD.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
How would blues fans feel about a guy like Nemeth @5o % retained + 2nd round pick for Dunn from Detroit. Makes a lot of sense for the wings as they have seider and Hronek on the Right side going forward so Dunn could slot into a top 4 spot with one of those two

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad