No we need early draft picks.

Besides we have plenty of centers
Schenn
Oreilly
Thomas
Bozak
Sunquist
Barbashev

We don't need a meh center and a meh lhd for sanford and Dunn. We need early picks.
Perhaps STL gets a late first rounder from a team in the hint that needs D. Like Pittsburgh maybe. Of course a team like that gets Dunn and improves the pick gets worse. Hard to believe Dunn gets them an early pick. Why would a team on the outside looking in give an early pick for Dunn?

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
That makes sense, but it seems odd that a real contender is willing to give up what is at least a strong depth asset for what is reputed to be a pick(s). Short season with COVID risks and lots of games in tight schedule. Surprised they not at least planning for injuries rather than building future picks. Who knows, but again seems odd. Maybe later at TDL would make more sense, but floating it now?

Yeah it actually doesn't make sense right this second because Bortuzzo is injured leaving us with Gunnarson(who's closer to an 8th D than a 7th D) and Perunovich who's completely untested at this level. You raise some good points but we're talking about a guy who plays 3LD so while it is handy to have depth they could move Dunn now for some value back and wait to see if they need a depth D at the TDL. Idk man, I'm biased because I like having 4 eraser type D(Parayko, Mikkola, Scandella, Bortuzzo) and no more than 2 OFD in Krug and Faulk. But you can definitely make a good argument to keep Dunn like you suggested and run him on the 3rd and drop Bortuzzo to 7th D.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah it actually doesn't make sense right this second because Bortuzzo is injured leaving us with Gunnarson(who's closer to an 8th D than a 7th D) and Perunovich who's completely untested at this level. You raise some good points but we're talking about a guy who plays 3LD so while it is handy to have depth they could move Dunn now for some value back and wait to see if they need a depth D at the TDL. Idk man, I'm biased because I like having 4 eraser type D(Parayko, Mikkola, Scandella, Bortuzzo) and no more than 2 OFD in Krug and Faulk. But you can definitely make a good argument to keep Dunn like you suggested and run him on the
3rd and drop Bortuzzo to 7th D.
I agree. That’s what I’d do. If they do want to move Dunn and would prefer picks/more future assets (Cap issues to consider, maybe) I’d be inclined to to it closer to TDL. Prices go up plus you have D depth insurance in meantime.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah it actually doesn't make sense right this second because Bortuzzo is injured leaving us with Gunnarson(who's closer to an 8th D than a 7th D) and Perunovich who's completely untested at this level. You raise some good points but we're talking about a guy who plays 3LD so while it is handy to have depth they could move Dunn now for some value back and wait to see if they need a depth D at the TDL. Idk man, I'm biased because I like having 4 eraser type D(Parayko, Mikkola, Scandella, Bortuzzo) and no more than 2 OFD in Krug and Faulk. But you can definitely make a good argument to keep Dunn like you suggested and run him on the 3rd and drop Bortuzzo to 7th D.
By the way, how does my boy T Krug look so far. He was a trooper for us, but money was tough. Always liked Torey. One of best undrafted guys of all time. Amazing really.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Jokiharju is better than Bortuzzo, and Reinke isn’t even NHL quality.
Ok so a third line guy and barely 3c for Sandford who had 16 goals 30 pts in 58 games last year and vince dunn. Thats a solid no. I wouldnt trade either guy for both those players. If I am coming off aholish sorry but this is a really bad proposal.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
By the way, how does my boy T Krug look so far. He was a trooper for us, but money was tough. Always liked Torey. One of best undrafted guys of all time. Amazing really.
I like him he tries to be physical moves the puck well and is getting the job done

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Perhaps STL gets a late first rounder from a team in the hint that needs D. Like Pittsburgh maybe. Of course a team like that gets Dunn and improves the pick gets worse. Hard to believe Dunn gets them an early pick. Why would a team on the outside looking in give an early pick for Dunn?
Late first early second + is what would be ok with. The only reason he doesn't get a 1st plus is flat cap and expansion

Last edited:
Reactions: Number8

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I like him he tries to be physical moves the puck well and is getting the job done
Excellent room guy as well. Boston has a bunch of D that moved on that I rooted for (and still do for those playing) except when they play us: Chara, Krug, Boychuk and McQuaid.

Of course love is temporary. Big Z punched Pasta in the head last night and Pasta speared him in the nads. Hockey, gotta love it.:laugh:

Reactions: Blueston and Colt55

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Ok so a third line guy and barely 3c for Sandford who had 16 goals 30 pts in 58 games last year and vince dunn. Thats a solid no. I wouldnt trade either guy for both those players. If I am coming off aholish sorry but this is a really bad proposal.

I mean, I definitely put that draft picks would be added to even things out, but you must have missed that part.

Sanford is going to lose his top 9 spot when Vladi comes back.

Jokiharju is a 3rd pairing guy for now...he’s only 21.

Mittlestadt was a top 10 pick several years back who needs a change of scenery.

Also not to be rude, but can you please learn to spell our own guys’ names correctly?

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I mean, I definitely put that draft picks would be added to even things out, but you must have missed that part.

Sanford is going to lose his top 9 spot when Vladi comes back.

Jokiharju is a 3rd pairing guy for now...he’s only 21.

Mittlestadt was a top 10 pick several years back who needs a change of scenery.

Also not to be rude, but can you please learn to spell our own guys’ names correctly?
When you bring up spelling its usually cause you don't have much to go on. I am pretty sure when vladi comes back Sandford will still keep his spot.
Schwartz schenn kyrou are on fire.
Sanford orielly perron always play well together
Hoffman Thomas tarasenko seems like the third line
Bozak barbashev blais Clifford sundquist.

I'm not sure why you think Sanford loses his spot over bozak. Like I said cm and harju are just not worth Dunn and Sanford.

Would you like me to fix my grammar next

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
How about Dunn+Sanford(50% retained for cap reasons) for Mittlestadt+Jokiharju with picks from both sides to balance it out?

Casey needs a change of scenery, and the Sabres need another LHD who can play in the top 4. They also have a lot of RHD depth.

Sanford is a middle six guy that you guys could definitely use behind Hall/Skinner on the left side.

On the Blues side, they could definitely use an upgrade at 3RD and have plenty of LHD depth.

Mittlestadt would have a roster spot until Vladi gets back, but the Blues are pretty low on center prospects, and we need a guy we can send to the taxi squad without losing them on waivers. Next season he’d have the 3C spot to lose when Bozak is gone.

Sabres-
Hall-Eichel-Olofsson
Skinner-Staal-Reinhart
Sanford-Cozens-Thompson
Rieder-Eakin-Okposo
Sheahan, Lazar

Dahlin-Miller
Dunn-Ristolainen
McCabe-Montour
Irwin

Blues-
Schenn-O’Reilly-Perron
Schwartz-Thomas-Tarasenko
Hoffman-Bozak-Kyrou
Clifford-Barbashev-Sundqvist
Blais, Mittlestadt(first call up)

Krug-Parayko
Scandella-Faulk
Mikkola-Jokiharju
Gunnarsson, Bortuzzo
Why would we want Mittlestadt? Even if he reaches his potential (and I am dubious), he needs to be in offensive role. We already have ROR, Schenn, Thomas who are better than him. Don't see fit.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
That makes sense, but it seems odd that a real contender is willing to give up what is at least a strong depth asset for what is reputed to be a pick(s). Short season with COVID risks and lots of games in tight schedule. Surprised they not at least planning for injuries rather than building future picks. Who knows, but again seems odd. Maybe later at TDL would make more sense, but floating it now?
We need to create cap space for when Tarasenko returns in few weeks. Dunn can bring assets back, could use a change of scenery as he seems to have stalled. We can deal those picks at deadline if help is needed when we have more cap flexibility.

Reactions: Number8 and Colt55

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Borts is about ready to return.

Reactions: TK 421

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
When you bring up spelling its usually cause you don't have much to go on. I am pretty sure when vladi comes back Sandford will still keep his spot.
Schwartz schenn kyrou are on fire.
Sanford orielly perron always play well together
Hoffman Thomas tarasenko seems like the third line
Bozak barbashev blais Clifford sundquist.

I'm not sure why you think Sanford loses his spot over bozak. Like I said cm and harju are just not worth Dunn and Sanford.

Would you like me to fix my grammar next

Bozak is a better player than Sanford IMO, and he doesn’t fit with the style of the 4th line.

Hoffman-Thomas-Tarasenko together would be a defensive nightmare, so I don’t think Chief even thinks about going that route.

Also, I have zero issues with your regular grammar, but if you’re gonna try and win an argument about the player you’re defending, it makes you look bad when you can’t even spell their name correctly. I brought it up after giving you several points lol.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I probably missed it along the way, but why is Dunn on the block so early in the season and why is STL making it known that they want a pick for him?
I suspect he was considered for trade in the off-season. Many close observers expected him to be traded in training camp. But Steen's LTIRment and Tarasenko on LTIR, and the advent of the taxi squad, made it unnecessary from a Cap standpoint. Meanwhile, Mikkola looks ready and Dunn has struggled a bit in the early season. Tarasenko is due for re-evaluation from his surgery and is apparently skating with gear on his own and taking shots. The motivation to move Dunn from a Cap perspective is a lot stronger now.

I believe the Blues could send a roster player to the Taxi Squad and run with less than a 23 man roster to also stay cap compliant (without trading Dunn). But he seems to be the odd man out with Perunovich in the wings, Mikkola ready now and the redundancy of Krug and Faulk. He has decent value, so the move makes sense.

Its not a case of the trade partner getting distressed goods. Dunn is a good player, who probably still has some additional upside to come. The Blues wanting to gain Cap space with the move presents a problem, since lots of teams are pretty tight on Cap space. They will probably have to accept less value than they'd like to, if that condition is inflexible. Its hard to read the market since Doug Armstrong is notoriously quiet about this type of business, but my sense is that multiple teams have serious interest.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Why would we want Mittlestadt? Even if he reaches his potential (and I am dubious), he needs to be in offensive role. We already have ROR, Schenn, Thomas who are better than him. Don't see fit.

He’d be included as a futures move, since we’re losing Bozak after the year, and Schenn likely slides to wing when Thomas takes over the 2C role.

According to the BUF board, he’s been improving his play this year, so that also helps.

Him not having to go on waivers to go on the taxi squad/our lack of center depth in the pipeline is another reason why I included him. We don’t know who we’re gonna lose yet to expansion/cap casualties in the next few years, so he’d be nice to have even if it’s just as a future trade chip.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Bozak is a better player than Sanford IMO, and he doesn’t fit with the style of the 4th line.

Hoffman-Thomas-Tarasenko together would be a defensive nightmare, so I don’t think Chief even thinks about going that route.

Also, I have zero issues with your regular grammar, but if you’re gonna try and win an argument about the player you’re defending, it makes you look bad when you can’t even spell their name correctly. I brought it up after giving you several points lol.

Bro once again if you have to use spelling to try and win an argument, then you have already lost. I am not sure how chief will put his lines together upon vlads return, but its obvious Sanford is the better player right now compared to bozak. Despite where you think sanford will be moved to, You don't just trade him for scraps and players the blues do not need. Honestly Dunn and mikola on the third didn't seem bad to me. You have Nikita alexandrov who played well in Quebec junior and playing sheepish now. Cm and hj don't help the blues.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He’d be included as a futures move, since we’re losing Bozak after the year, and Schenn likely slides to wing when Thomas takes over the 2C role.

According to the BUF board, he’s been improving his play this year, so that also helps.

Him not having to go on waivers to go on the taxi squad/our lack of center depth in the pipeline is another reason why I included him. We don’t know who we’re gonna lose yet to expansion/cap casualties in the next few years, so he’d be nice to have even if it’s just as a future trade chip.
That all makes sense, but you have to believe he can play 3C. Blues expect strong 2-way play and likely not many offensive zone starts for that role and I don't know he is well-suited to it.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis

Blueston, I was thinking the same thing. Not needed. We have to many bottom six players. We need to draft skilled players to replace our skilled players aging. Not adding more bottom sixers

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I suspect he was considered for trade in the off-season. Many close observers expected him to be traded in training camp. But Steen's LTIRment and Tarasenko on LTIR, and the advent of the taxi squad, made it unnecessary from a Cap standpoint. Meanwhile, Mikkola looks ready and Dunn has struggled a bit in the early season. Tarasenko is due for re-evaluation from his surgery and is apparently skating with gear on his own and taking shots. The motivation to move Dunn from a Cap perspective is a lot stronger now.

I believe the Blues could send a roster player to the Taxi Squad and run with less than a 23 man roster to also stay cap compliant (without trading Dunn). But he seems to be the odd man out with Perunovich in the wings, Mikkola ready now and the redundancy of Krug and Faulk. He has decent value, so the move makes sense.

Its not a case of the trade partner getting distressed goods. Dunn is a good player, who probably still has some additional upside to come. The Blues wanting to gain Cap space with the move presents a problem, since lots of teams are pretty tight on Cap space. They will probably have to accept less value than they'd like to, if that condition is inflexible. Its hard to read the market since Doug Armstrong is notoriously quiet about this type of business, but my sense is that multiple teams have serious interest.

I think last I counted with rumors about 8 teams interested 4 of those very interested.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Bro once again if you have to use spelling to try and win an argument, then you have already lost. I am not sure how chief will put his lines together upon vlads return, but its obvious Sanford is the better player right now compared to bozak. Despite where you think sanford will be moved to, You don't just trade him for scraps and players the blues do not need. Honestly Dunn and mikola on the third didn't seem bad to me. You have Nikita alexandrov who played well in Quebec junior and playing sheepish now. Cm and hj don't help the blues.

I’m not using spelling as a way to win an argument. I’m just saying it’s frustrating seeing someone who roots for the same team misspell the names of the players because it’s a bad look.

My original thought was Dunn for Jokiharju+draft pick, but I realized the waivers issue when looking at the roster, and so CM was a throw in to this deal tbh along with Sanford.

I’m not as much of a Sanford fan as you are(I think he coasts his points off of ROR/DP57), and I’d rather have a change of scenery guy with top 10 pick potential instead in our system, instead of losing a player for nothing on waivers as Kyrou and Mikkola are the only guys who could get sent “down”.

Also our RHD are extremely weak after Parayko/Faulk. I don’t trust Bortuzzo on higher than the third pair, and I would trust Joker there if one of them got hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->