Ville de Québec Part X: Pousse mais pousse égal Gary! (Mod warning post #774)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
- Ask a well-respected "Nordique guy" to do a piece saying they won't come back.

Ya, Im calling this Sour Grapes & Dirty Pool by RDS. That Crete would comply, well, cant say Im impressed, but I expected as much. Sure hope he & the nice people at Bell people like the taste of Crow because they'll be dining on it for many years to come.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Ya, Im calling this Sour Grapes & Dirty Pool by RDS. That Crete would comply, well, cant say Im impressed, but I expected as much. Sure hope he & the nice people at Bell people like the taste of Crow because they'll be dining on it for many years to come.

They taste of "no national games" (and no playoffs at all) is sweet enough revenge for me :laugh:

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
I know, but that's still disgusting from Bell.

- Ask a well-respected "Nordique guy" to do a piece saying they won't come back.

- Be as vague as possible, use as little info as possible but spin it in a way that means: NO NORDIQUES.

- Write as though you HOPE it happens but think it won't (basically you are sympathetic to the cause, but you think it won't happen).

Sometimes I wish I hadn't studied communication/writing :laugh:

Can you really study that? :sarcasm:

The way I see it is he's paid to write these articles, likely an amount that is dependant on the views/reads.

Revo

Jun 29, 2011
Quebec City
I know, but that's still disgusting from Bell.

- Be as vague as possible, use as little info as possible but spin it in a way that means: NO NORDIQUES.

- Write as though you HOPE it happens but think it won't (basically you are sympathetic to the cause, but you think it won't happen).

Sometimes I wish I hadn't studied communication/writing :laugh:

We'd need someone doing the opposite. Make it happen! :sarcasm:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The way I see it is he's paid to write these articles, likely an amount that is dependant on the views/reads.

Oh I shouldnt think his remuneration is based on some kind of commission structure SC. Senior guy. Paid a salary. Writing articles & reports part of the job. That being said, expecting an unbiased premise & slant to any story taken by any number of media outlets and most particularly one like that, specialty cable channel, your just not going to get a wholly objective angle Im afraid. Disappointing in this case as that individual was very much pro-QC at one time, back in the day when he was working the Nordiques broadcasts etc.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_player_sports/?a=9969313&p=1014&n=Bob and Groz Show

Geoff Baker of the Seattle times was on ESPN seattle eariler today. While the context was mostly in regards to seattle but there was little bit on Quebec starting around the 28th min mark

Baker saying the Quebec election is a big issue and that the NHL is waiting to see what happens in that election before announcing expansion. The election could effect rather Quebec gets a team or not.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_player_sports/?a=9969313&p=1014&n=Bob and Groz Show

Geoff Baker of the Seattle times was on ESPN seattle eariler today. While the context was mostly in regards to seattle but there was little bit on Quebec starting around the 28th min mark

Baker saying the Quebec election is a big issue and that the NHL is waiting to see what happens in that election before announcing expansion. The election could effect rather Quebec gets a team or not.

Is he reporting this, say per his sources, or opining that he thinks it's an issue?

(You may not know the answer, but I should ask the question.)

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Is he reporting this, say per his sources, or opining that he thinks it's an issue?

(You may not know the answer, but I should ask the question.)

I take it as mostly his opinion. I can understand where he's coming from but I don't think the idea of a quebec being a separate country is gonna happen.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
An anti-Québec piece by... Alain Crête.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/lnh/l-expansion-peut-attendre-1.1117094

It basically says that the NHL has no reason/intention to expand because it never has been as healthy as it is now and it wants to give time to franchises like Florida and Phoenix to hit their stride before the do expand. However, he does say that the NHL seem much eager to get into Seattle (even more eager than the local groups interest in a team). Oh, and he also says that Vegas is ahead of us.

God I hate Bell.

Pauvre Alain y a pas eu l'offre de Quebecor qu'il voulait. :laugh:

Dude is so terrible during Habs' games.

LouisOlivier

May 1, 2013
Ville de Québec
This is a quote that i found funny last night... this is MY city. We're Nordiques and NEVER WILL BE Habs.

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod ·13 h
Gotta love Quebec City... Im at a bar and ask if one of the TVs can play the Canadiens game. The response: "**** off." Classic. #nordiques

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
This is a quote that i found funny last night... this is MY city. We're Nordiques and NEVER WILL BE Habs.

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod ·13 h
Gotta love Quebec City... Im at a bar and ask if one of the TVs can play the Canadiens game. The response: "**** off." Classic. #nordiques

I would have answered "**** off" as well if asked to put the Habs game on :laugh:

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I would have answered "**** off" as well if asked to put the Habs game on :laugh:

Why would the people be so anti-Montreal? The Canadiens existed decades before there ever was a team in Quebec City. Wasn't it every child's dream in the province to be the next Rocket Richard, Jean Beliveau or Guy Lafleur, etc? How could they turn their backs on the team that represented the province so well over the years with all those Stanley Cup championships? I could understand if they didn't want to watch the Habs arch rival Maple Leafs on TV but it seems odd to see the hatred for Montreal.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Why would the people be so anti-Montreal? The Canadiens existed decades before there ever was a team in Quebec City. Wasn't it every child's dream in the province to be the next Rocket Richard, Jean Beliveau or Guy Lafleur, etc? How could they turn their backs on the team that represented the province so well over the years with all those Stanley Cup championships? I could understand if they didn't want to watch the Habs arch rival Maple Leafs on TV but it seems odd to see the hatred for Montreal.

I guess the lesson is that there isn't provincial/team love for Montreal once you're in the QC whereabouts.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

We hated the Habs because they stole Béliveau from us. We hated the Habs because they stole Lafleur from us (and we had the Nords by then,. The rumour says that Lafleur wanted to go to the WHA if the money was right).

Before the 40s, the Habs weren't even that popular. Maurice Richard made them what they are today and at that time, Quebec City hockey fans were Quebec Aces fans. Before then, in the early 1900s, we were Bulldog fans.

To be clear, Quebec City has NEVER EVER EEEEEEEEEEEEEVERRRRRRRRRRRR been a Habs town. I'd say that we are the closest we have ever been to be one and we still aren't.

Nords die hard feel insulted when told things like "it is the only team in the province, why do you hate them?" We have been hating them since... forever!

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I would have answered ''get out of my bar, you dum****''

Sure, and if it's Crete who walks in to my bar, lets say Pub Galway on Cartier?.... Well, I will serve him on the house. Very friendly. Then as he's getting comfortable & sa grosse tete de celebrite gonfle penser qu'il est special, I will take his 8X10 picture thats been hanging on the wall for over 20yrs in-between Mike Ricci & Joe Sakic, remove it from the frame, spike it to one of the Dart Boards and invite to play a Game of 21... Of course he will refuse, and so, I will then tear his picture into petits morceaux miniscules and deposit them into his drink. Yes.... "You are Barred forever Alain, beyond death, your whole family & ancestors... so juste revenir dans votre Corvair et revenir a vos amis a Montreal vous fils d'un"..... :rant:

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
We hated the Habs because they stole Béliveau from us. We hated the Habs because they stole Lafleur from us (and we had the Nords by then,. The rumour says that Lafleur wanted to go to the WHA if the money was right).

Before the 40s, the Habs weren't even that popular. Maurice Richard made them what they are today and at that time, Quebec City hockey fans were Quebec Aces fans. Before then, in the early 1900s, we were Bulldog fans.

To be clear, Quebec City has NEVER EVER EEEEEEEEEEEEEVERRRRRRRRRRRR been a Habs town. I'd say that we are the closest we have ever been to be one and we still aren't.

Nords die hard feel insulted when told things like "it is the only team in the province, why do you hate them?" We have been hating them since... forever!

Thanks for the explanation.

In regards to the Habs stealing Béliveau, wouldn't it have been the natural progression for him to leave the Quebec Aces for the opportunity to play in the NHL?

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
I imagine Alain conduisant its rutilante Corvair with a Habs logo on les portes. :laugh:

1960-1964-chevrolet-corvair-monza-1.jpg.jpg

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca
Thanks for the explanation.

In regards to the Habs stealing Béliveau, wouldn't it have been the natural progression for him to leave the Quebec Aces for the opportunity to play in the NHL?

IIRC:

Beliveau had signed a B-Form with the Habs, That meant that as soon as Beliveau would turn Pro, he would be owned by the Canadien. However, He liked playing in Quebec City in the amateur Quebec Senior Hockey League. The Habs got tired of waiting and bought the league outright in the summer of 1953 and immediately turning it into a professional league, thereby activating their rights over Beliveau. Beliveau has said that he wanted to give Quebec City a few more seasons before going to Montreal.

Also the Montreal Canadien voted against the first WHA merger proposition. Quebec's fair people reacted in a generalized boycott of all things Molson. Strangely enough, The second time around, the Habs voted in favour of the merger.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
IIRC:

Beliveau had signed a B-Form with the Habs, That meant that as soon as Beliveau would turn Pro, he would be owned by the Canadien. However, He liked playing in Quebec City in the amateur Quebec Senior Hockey League. The Habs got tired of waiting and bought the league outright in the summer of 1953 and immediately turning it into a professional league, thereby activating their rights over Beliveau. Beliveau has said that he wanted to give Quebec City a few more seasons before going to Montreal.

Also the Montreal Canadien voted against the first WHA merger proposition. Quebec's fair people reacted in a generalized boycott of all things Molson. Strangely enough, The second time around, the Habs voted in favour of the merger.

I wasn't aware of what transpired with the Quebec Senior Hockey League. Thanks for the details as to what took place to bring Beliveau from Quebec to Montreal.

I remember well the efforts taken to get the merger vote approved as our Winnipeg Jets were part of it as well. It took a few years too long however because if they would have approved it in 1977 the WHA teams would have been left with their rosters intact and Houston and Cincinnati would also have been included along with Winnipeg, Quebec, Edmonton and New England.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad