Ville de Québec Part X: Pousse mais pousse égal Gary! (Mod warning post #774)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
It's a highly divisive issue. The NHL garners more than a third (possibly in excess of 40% of HRR) from Canada. The main impact would be sponsors who find themselves on the different side of the issue, plus the opinions of the existing 7 BOG/franchises. Would they want the league going down a certain path, basically seen as aligning themselves with a very controversial political issue?

That's ridiculous. There is already a team in the Province. PKP has been replaced by Mulroney as the "figurehead" of the possible ownership group. And putting a sports team in a city isn't a political statement at all.

But, paradoxaly, should they deny Quebec a team because of that. IT WILL become a political statement!

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
That's ridiculous. There is already a team in the Province. PKP has been replaced by Mulroney as the "figurehead" of the possible ownership group. And putting a sports team in a city isn't a political statement at all.

But, paradoxaly, should they deny Quebec a team because of that. IT WILL become a political statement!

What's ridiculous? That some in the NHL may wonder if there would some effect on their business if one of their own was aligned with a movement that involves separation from one of the two countries in the NHL? There's nothing wrong with asking the question. The answer may be that they put zero probability on such an occurrence and that sponsors or other owners simply may not care. I don't know the answers, but I know the questions. ;)

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
What's ridiculous? That some in the NHL may wonder if there would some effect on their business if one of their own was aligned with a movement that involves separation from one of the two countries in the NHL? There's nothing wrong with asking the question. The answer may be that they put zero probability on such an occurrence and that sponsors or other owners simply may not care. I don't know the answers, but I know the questions. ;)

But PKP is out of the ownership group. All his shares (if he is elected) will be taken care of by a "fiducie sans droit de regard". (I dont know the english word for it)

PKP is now out of the equation. And last time I checked his replacement Mulroney ain't really a hard line Quebecois Separatist.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Ace,

PKP is the control shareholder. This trust thing is only there for politic ethics reasons.

I agree the league is dealing with Quebecor and its associates (because we don't know) but in the end, PKP is still in control.

Brian Mulroney is there since the beginning but I doubt he'll have a share of the ownership. He is PKP's representative, most probably paid for it, but in no way owner.

Some seems to think like Mulroney would be the owner. Nah, wont happen.

Last edited:

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Quite possibly very true.

Electing the PQ while voting no on independance is certainly not the only paradox we quebecers can do :laugh:

Now I am still looking for my time travel machine to go fast forward in late june... so we find out what's inside Bettman's plan.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Electing the PQ while voting no on independance is certainly not the only paradox we quebecers can do :laugh:

Now I am still looking for my time travel machine to go fast forward in late june... so we find out what's inside Bettman's plan.

Dont get your hopes up, the league wont expand less than 3 moths after Gary just said they have no plans to do so + with Seattle not ready im not expecting anything till june 2015

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Dont get your hopes up, the league wont expand less than 3 moths after Gary just said they have no plans to do so + with Seattle not ready im not expecting anything till june 2015

Bettman speak. NHL won't announce anything in the middle of the season/playoffs.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

When it comes down to the CAD, it's not only about Nordiques, Habs or Quebec, it's about the whole Canada. Now what may or may not influence on the CAD itself would put me far down into political issues I don't want to go.

Tho, adding Quebec to NHL would only increase the % part of HHR incoming from Canada, and put a bigger weight of potential CAD downfall and it's impact on NHL.

I'm so done with the Seattle talk. It's completely different and I don't know who to believe anymore.

But what I do know if that NHL waits for Seattle to start building before they go the expansion route...it will never happen because Seattle is waiting for NHL to go expansion route before building.

And I understand the investors, you don't go building a $300+M arena with uncertainity.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
When it comes down to the CAD, it's not only about Nordiques, Habs or Quebec, it's about the whole Canada. Now what may or may not influence on the CAD itself would put me far down into political issues I don't want to go.

Tho, adding Quebec to NHL would only increase the % part of HHR incoming from Canada, and put a bigger weight of potential CAD downfall and it's impact on NHL.

I'm so done with the Seattle talk. It's completely different and I don't know who to believe anymore.

But what I do know if that NHL waits for Seattle to start building before they go the expansion route...it will never happen because Seattle is waiting for NHL to go expansion route before building.

And I understand the investors, you don't go building a $300+M arena with uncertainity.

THen the arena WILL never get built cause Seattle is not getting a NBA team before the MOU expires imo.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I don't know...to me PKP making the jump right now into politics is pretty clumsy. He could have waited a little when the whole thing with the NHL and a new franchise is set. Plus with the way the Provincial party system has been the last few years, it's a three-party dance and it's almost impossible for any goverment to get a majority because of it. So we're talking about elections every two years. So there's probably going to have another one in two years from now.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Update on the arena

Bi7o2GgIIAA2_px.jpg

Roof steel structure to be completed early may.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
the arena might be done eventually, but the notion of Seattle's MOU, isn't relevant here, nor is the possibility of the Coyotes until at least 2018, if at all..

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
an arena for QC's overdue, but I doubt there'll be a team attached, imho.

Why is an arena "overdue" for QC HUTCH? Ever been to the Colisee?... despite its somewhat institutional looking exterior & age, now over 60, the house that Jean Beliveau built is one Hell of a nice building inside absolutely oozing with the collected spirits of over half a centuries worth of great players & fabulous memories. With upgrades, could easily live another 50-100yrs. You walk in there when its empty & all is quiet, its akin to walking into Maple Leaf Gardens, the old Forum, a Church. Beautiful, awe inspiring building when you consider whats gone on within its 4 walls, on the ice.

So no, they didnt need to replace it, they wanted to replace it & theres a big difference in needing & wanting my friend. They were motivated to do so with the sole objective of landing an NHL franchise as the old Dame of the Colisee simply wasnt up to 21st Century NHL requirements & sensibilities. But they didnt "need" to build it, they "wanted to build it". Part of a concerted effort to land a team and absolutely a prerequisite but they do understand that just building it alone will not be enough. More must be provided. And so provided it has been. Quiet talks & negotiations with the NHL, through backdoor & political channels. Quebecor dropping over $1.4B on the league for french language rights to NHL broadcasts.

So yes HUTCH, they will get their team. IMO its already a done deal. There is no chance this unwinds as you suggest. No need for talk of the impossible, some topsy turvy world of reverse Darwinism. This aint Kansas. These people are pro's and know exactly what their doing. Play for real & for keeps. If as you suggest Quebec City is denied entry? Id be willing to bet you Canadians from coast to coast would stand shoulder to shoulder with their Quebec cousins in a massive Boycott of everything & anything that has to do with the NHL. From its teams to its sponsors & suppliers. You have no idea the outrage such a slight would cause to not just Quebec, but to hockey fans right across this country. What more could they have done? New, state of the art building and over a billion dollars to the league in alms. You frikin kiddin me? Damn straight their in.

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca
Why is an arena "overdue" for QC HUTCH? Ever been to the Colisee?... despite its somewhat institutional looking exterior & age, now over 60, the house that Jean Beliveau built is one Hell of a nice building inside absolutely oozing with the collected spirits of over half a centuries worth of great players & fabulous memories. With upgrades, could easily live another 50-100yrs. You walk in there when its empty & all is quiet, its akin to walking into Maple Leaf Gardens, the old Forum, a Church. Beautiful, awe inspiring building when you consider whats gone on within its 4 walls, on the ice.

So no, they didnt need to replace it, they wanted to replace it & theres a big difference in needing & wanting my friend. They were motivated to do so with the sole objective of landing an NHL franchise as the old Dame of the Colisee simply wasnt up to 21st Century NHL requirements & sensibilities. But they didnt "need" to build it, they "wanted to build it". Part of a concerted effort to land a team and absolutely a prerequisite but they do understand that just building it alone will not be enough. More must be provided. And so provided it has been. Quiet talks & negotiations with the NHL, through backdoor & political channels. Quebecor dropping over $1.4B on the league for french language rights to NHL broadcasts.

So yes HUTCH, they will get their team. IMO its already a done deal. There is no chance this unwinds as you suggest. No need for talk of the impossible, some topsy turvy world of reverse Darwinism. This aint Kansas. These people are pro's and know exactly what their doing. Play for real & for keeps. If as you suggest Quebec City is denied entry? Id be willing to bet you Canadians from coast to coast would stand shoulder to shoulder with their Quebec cousins in a massive Boycott of everything & anything that has to do with the NHL. From its teams to its sponsors & suppliers. You have no idea the outrage such a slight would cause to not just Quebec, but to hockey fans right across this country. What more could they have done? New, state of the art building and over a billion dollars to the league in alms. You frikin kiddin me? Damn straight their in.

The old barn is still a great place for hockey. However, we kept losing shows because whe couldn't meet the technical requirements of the bands. Remember, the barn was last updated when a big show would travel around North america with 2-3 semis. Nowadays, they rarely run big shows under 10 53' trailers. And you can't hang much weight from the rafters because of the way the foof is built.

I'll be sad to see it go. I love to see games there, but it's still a building conceived in the late 40's that was meant to house 10 000 people, not 15 300. I just hope we can make the new place as oppresive for the visitors as we can do in the Colisée.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
The old barn is still a great place for hockey. However, we kept losing shows because whe couldn't meet the technical requirements of the bands. Remember, the barn was last updated when a big show would travel around North america with 2-3 semis. Nowadays, they rarely run big shows under 10 53' trailers. And you can't hang much weight from the rafters because of the way the foof is built.

I'll be sad to see it go. I love to see games there, but it's still a building conceived in the late 40's that was meant to house 10 000 people, not 15 300. I just hope we can make the new place as oppresive for the visitors as we can do in the Colisée.

LHJMQ playoffs start Friday and Saturday in Colisée....and it will be packed up to the roof.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
LHJMQ playoffs start Friday and Saturday in Colisée....and it will be packed up to the roof.

I work at the old barn and while its still allright for hockey theres so many small issues with the buiding that something new was needed ( im not saying we needed a 400M arena especially if we dont get the nhl back) but something new was needed for sure

Usually the Remparts see the crowds go down when its playoff time, They have to give a kickback to the league according to the attendance, so they give away a lot less tickets and they annonce the real crowd instead of jacking up the numbers by 2-3K like they do in regular season games

As of right now For fridays game the white seat are not even open so thats 4500+ empty seats

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

See the responses below yours, Killion, nobody is guaranteed a franchise by replacing an existing arena with a new one, ie Detroit's going to their 4th when their arena is completed replacing JLA, which according to the DFP, will face the same fate as the current Colisee there in QC. We've seen multi-purpose arenas that were opened in the late '70s, face the same issues that Le Colisee is facing... Hartford, Springfield, and Portland have all renovated their home arenas to attempt to "compete" MUCH the same way a newer version of the Colisee will in QC.

The NHL has also stated that relocation isn't happening anytime soon, and if Expansion is on the horizon, that's a option further down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad