OT: Video Games

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Bioware went down the garbage after EA bought them.

In an ideal world, CD Projekt Red somehow gets ahold of the KOTOR franchise.

Even Battlefield took a hit, its still my favorite game, but I'm nervous with Dice now.

Reactions: LaP

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I hope Disney removes the Star Wars franchise from their hands after the microtransaction scandal last November.

Im just dying for a No Man's Sky-like KOTOR.

I think that Star Wars game that Amy Hennig was working on was going to be very very special. Easily the best star wars game we've seen since KOTOR. The problem? It was a single player game. When EA asked her how were they going to be able to monetize the game with microtransactions she had no answer... so they cancelled it. Hennig was the lead writer of the Uncharted and Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver series.

Disney made a mistake giving EA sole propriety of the star wars franchise. It was in much better shape when different game studios were able to make games for the franchise and we got games like KOTOR, Jedi Knight/Academy/Outcast and Rogue Squadron(LOVED that game!). The response from the developer on the Battlefront II lootbox fiasco ended up being the most downvoted comment in Reddit history.

Reactions: NobleSix

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Bioware went down the garbage after EA bought them.

In an ideal world, CD Projekt Red somehow gets ahold of the KOTOR franchise.

Even Battlefield took a hit, its still my favorite game, but I'm nervous with Dice now.

If CDR made a star wars game it would be the best SW game in history. Still working my way through The Witcher 3.

Dice needs to be careful they don't piss their fanbase off but not much they can do if EA is pulling the strings. Next Battlefield with have a Battle Royale mode as will Call of Duty. Everyone and their mother trying to jump onto the battle royale genre with the success of PUBG and Fortnite.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I might play BFV. I liked BF1 although I don't play it that much. I played BF3 a lot and I bought BF4 early on.. but then I stopped playing it after 1 month even though I had the season pass.

Still, I had been wishing for historical games and a BF1942 remake. If they bring in the bomber planes from WW2 with gunner seats like in BF1, I will play this game

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
AAA is dead/dying. I'm holding out some hope for cyberpunk 2077 but my faith in the industry is at an all time low, and that's coming from someone who has worked in it.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
AAA is dead/dying. I'm holding out some hope for cyberpunk 2077 but my faith in the industry is at an all time low, and that's coming from someone who has worked in it.

Coming from someone that doesn't play video games but appreciates them, I think part of the issue is unrealistic expectations from gamers. Complaints are endless. Kinda like being a sports fan.

Reactions: 20six and ArtPeur

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Coming from someone that doesn't play video games but appreciates them, I think part of the issue is unrealistic expectations from gamers. Complaints are endless. Kinda like being a sports fan.

It's easy to give bad reports/reviews. The gamers community is quite strong and they have successfully blocked a few games in the last few years. The mega-downvoting on the CoD game (Black Ops III?) when Dice was about to release BF1. CoD actually had to make a WW2 game to please the fans. The mega-refunding of No Man's Sky and everything that ensued: aka the "please no-preorder" movement. The whole Battlefront 2 disaster. etc. Gamers are getting bolder and they also want to pay less for great games. I'm almost always waiting for games to be on discount before buying them on steam

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

I rarely get excited for AAA games anymore except on some rare occasions like with TLOU2 or Spider-man. It says a lot about the industry when some of my friends and I, all old time gamers, are looking forward to a revamped sequel of a classic side-scroller with the coming release of Megaman 11, than we do for the panoply of AAA games coming.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
It's easy to give bad reports/reviews. The gamers community is quite strong and they have successfully blocked a few games in the last few years. The mega-downvoting on the CoD game (Black Ops III?) when Dice was about to release BF1. CoD actually had to make a WW2 game to please the fans. The mega-refunding of No Man's Sky and everything that ensued: aka the "please no-preorder" movement. The whole Battlefront 2 disaster. etc. Gamers are getting bolder and they also want to pay less for great games. I'm almost always waiting for games to be on discount before buying them on steam

I'll say this about Hello Games, despite the gigantic backlash, they've redeemed themselves with the updates. The game is now almost up to expectations. All DLCs have been free, obviously, still, they've managed to make things work in the long run.

This is the advantage of doing like you and I, buying at discount some time after release, it costs less, and you get a lot of feedback before making your purchases, which means smarter shopping, less money wasted.

I try to buy as few digital versions as possible on console though, because of their refusal to freely port licenses from one generation to the other, unless, understandably, it's a remaster. Sometimes the prices are too worthwhile to pass on, still I try to do my best to see if I can't get a similar deal on a used hardcopy.

The digital copy world will kill the hardcopy licence and it is something as gamers, that we should all be concerned about and fight against.

This is what I like about Steam. No matter what generation of PC you're at, you can still play your old games on Steam.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

As always, you're not seeing the whole picture.

A lot of what I hear has more to do with the greedy tendencies of the industry than the games themselves, especially from my generation.

My expectations are to have fun, and the industry is stuck in a loop similar to hollywood. The efforts are concentrated towards the visual experience, style and aesthetics, rather than offering better, more immersive and original experiences. The big video game corportations of today are straining the industry by being stuck in cookie cutter mode. It tends more towards visual artistry than then actual cognitive experience.

Reactions: Andrei79

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Idk I don't really get the complaints about AAA gaming in all honesty. Yeah I'm tired of Call of Duty or yearly EA shooter/sports franchise releases too but I just stopped buying those games because they don't interest me anymore. To me it's kinda like conflating Marvel movies with "Hollywood", I'm completely and utterly beyond bored of Marvel movies but there's still interesting stuff coming out of Hollywood, and it's the same for games IMO. I'm completely tired of Call of Duty/Battlefield and most of the big third person shooter releases but I've just stopped buying them. I pretty much only play Dota 2 and single player games and I've been enjoying gaming more than ever in the last 12-18 months.

Just of stuff that's come out recently and that I've enjoyed playing, Nier:Automata, Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Horizon Zero Dawn, PUBG/Fortnite (I see these as more of a short-medium term fad but they're fun for now), Splatoon, XCOM 2 expansion, Civ 6, etc are all excellent and Nier:Automata might be my favourite single player game I've ever played. Expand it to less high budget stuff and there's some really amazing games like Night in the Woods, What Remains of Edith Finch, Cuphead, Stellaris, Hearts of Iron, Superhot, Cities:Skylines, hell even Fire Emblem Heroes as a mobile game. And that's just the stuff I've played and am familiar with, there's tons of games like Resident Evil 7, Nioh, Death of the Outsider, Persona 5, Yakuza, Prey, Octopath, Rainbow Six Siege, Monster Hunter, Wolfenstein 2, Slap City, etc. that I'm interested in but haven't got a chance to play yet.

I'm not defending the stuff people complain about with AAA games but there's still loads of interesting and compelling stuff coming out from small indie releases to big AAA mega franchises and outside the Assassin's Call of Division Destiny Field stuff there's tons of incredible games that I've really enjoyed and 2017 in particular will go down as an excellent year for games IMO.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
As always, you're not seeing the whole picture.

A lot of what I hear has more to do with the greedy tendencies of the industry than the games themselves, especially from my generation.

My expectations are to have fun, and the industry is stuck in a loop similar to hollywood. The efforts are concentrated towards the visual experience, style and aesthetics, rather than offering better, more immersive and original experiences. The big video game corportations of today are straining the industry by being stuck in cookie cutter mode. It tends more towards visual artistry than then actual cognitive experience.

I think what you're talking about versus what I am is a separate issue. Inability to access the game fully despite paying full-price is definitely an understandable issue. It's different from continuous complaints that verge on unrealistic expectations with regards to things like graphics, depth of content, playing time etc.

Not sure why you're taking a jab at me for "not seeing the whole picture", it's not like content on this forum is complex on any level. I just don't share the opinion of some people.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Battlefield 3 Bad Company 3...thats about it. Game developers have disappointed me more in the last 3 years than the habs have....ouch!

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I like playing Overwatch and League Of Legends.... sue me.

Overwatch and Rust for me...still aiming to finish witcher 3 but have no time. :(

Overwatch for me as well.

Competitive has gone to crap again with no one being in game chat it seems.

Almost everyone in game chat and communicating almost always equals a win.

No one in game chat usually results in a loss and the worst player coming in and saying how much everyone else f***ing sucks.

Reactions: ArtPeur and Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

No one in game chat usually results in a loss and the worst player coming in and saying how much everyone else ****ing sucks.
Thats 100% true.

AshyHabs

Biceps>Brains
Dec 27, 2015
Montreal

No one in game chat usually results in a loss and the worst player coming in and saying how much everyone else ****ing sucks.

Ya plat and diamond are the worst for that it's rare to get a full group to talk. I still enjoy it but having smurf accounts and throwers makes me rage can't seem to climb and I certainly cant do it alone

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
Games i'm looking forward to:

Red Dead Redemption 2
Cyberpunk 2077
Battlefield V

IMO RDR2 and CP2077 are as close to locks for games of the year as you can get. Rockstar and CDPR are two of the best developers in the game today. I don't think I've ever been let down by one of their games. I'm looking forward to seeing more of those titles soon, but the reputation of their developers inspires a lot of confidence.

Battlefield V could go either way. Dice used to be an ace in the hole for me, but I do not trust EA whatsoever. Dice has fallen down a few levels for me over the last 4 years or so, definitely well below Rockstar, CDPR, Naughty Dog, and Bethesda, but still a lot further ahead of the likes of Ubisoft and Bungie (yikes). I think EA's presence is becoming more prevalent within their published games, which is very unfortunate.

Im jut dying for a KOTOR3 or what ever. SWOTR didnt do it for me at all. At least not like KOTOR.

KOTOR 3 needs to happen, but I have very little hope of it ever materializing. Definitely not while EA holds the rights to Star Wars games. If a game focuses on story, and a loot box driven multiplayer component cannot be included, EA simply isn't interested in investing in that kind of game anymore. That's big reason why they cancelled a very promising game in Star Wars: 1313.

Look at Mass Effect: Andromeda for example. The development team had asked EA to push back the release of the game on multiple occasions because that game just wasn't going to be ready in time, only to have all of their requests denied. EA basically told them to wrap it up, make it playable, and ship it out. They didn't want to put any more money into a single player game. All story DLCs were cancelled, and now EA just farms micro-transactions from the shitty shoe horned multiplayer component.

Under EA, KOTOR3 is as unlikely as it gets. Maybe after the deal expires, but i'd say the chances are close to zero until then.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad