OT: Video Game Thread: Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
@Rebels57 dependig on how far you are in HZD, the finish line has a pretty cool ending to the story. I agree it’s a little meh throughout, but the end is cool if you like headtrips and crazy apocalypse stuff. Plus the combat in that game is soooo good.

It's definitely been picking up at the part I am at now. I just took down the Behemoth inside that gladiator-style ring. Now I am trying to take down another massive machine on my way back to help the Nora. I feel like i'm nearing the end.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
@Rebels57 you are. It gets cool from here. You get the backstory to what happened in the past and what’s going on now. Lmk what you think when you’re done, it’s a pretty cool “movie feeling” finish, where everything just sort of gets revealed rapidly and in your face

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
@Rebels57 you are. It gets cool from here. You get the backstory to what happened in the past and what’s going on now. Lmk what you think when you’re done, it’s a pretty cool “movie feeling” finish, where everything just sort of gets revealed rapidly and in your face

Nice. I will let you know when I finish!

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I do it all but I mainly play God of War. I just started playing Dirt4 again too and end of the month I think the new Formula 1 game comes out so I'll be playing that. dtwright is my PS4 name and DudeBrosef is my Xbox name (I rarely play anything on Xbox other than Cuphead).

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Seriously, the worldbuilding in HZD's story ends up being fantastic. That was the last game that really lived up to its hype for me. Then God of War kicked me in the teeth and I still haven't bothered to finish it.

Reactions: mdm815

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
God of War is a must play if you played the original games. I was a teenager when i played them and there’s a sequence in the new one that is flat out my favorite video game moment on current gen.
Also MH World is pretty cool. There’s a ton to do.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
God of War is a must play if you played the original games. I was a teenager when i played them and there’s a sequence in the new one that is flat out my favorite video game moment on current gen.

That first big fight was fantastic.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I'm "saving" God of War. Sitting on it for a rainy day. Heard it is great and the combat is very great. Great enough to be compared to the "fun level" of Bloodborne.

Hakroach

Veteran Presence
Jan 4, 2005
Helsinki
I finished Dark Souls Remastered some time ago and no video game has peaked my interest since.

But I have addicted myself to the Star Wars X-Wing Miniature Board Game. The gameplay is bloody great and the miniatures are gorgeous. But it get's expensive when you just keep buying more and more new ships. (Sorry for the non-video game OT.)

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I never liked the first god of war. I’m probably wrong but that’s the first game I remember having the quick time button events. I don’t want to kill a boss via an interactive cut scene.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

I can't wait to try my first Monster Hunter at PC launch tomorrow. I suspect I'm going to try to treat it like Souls games and be awful at first. I've been warned not to go Greatsword.

Grim Dawn.

Never expected to see that listed here, but great game. When I want faster-paced play, I boot up PoE. When I want slower, Grim Dawn.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I'm sorry but the new God of War is nothing like the original trilogy to me, which was the pinnacle of hack and slash IMO. God of War 3 had insane level design like the opening fight on a living titan and the freaking suspended labyrinth. I really tried hard to give the new game a chance and saw some shimmers of hope, but it was too slowed down and repetitive for my liking. I wish Dark Souls was never invented so everyone would stop trying to ape its combat. I guess I'll have to cross my fingers that the next Darksiders is decent.

I've complained about this before and know I'm in a minority so please don't think I'm attacking you!

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Never expected to see that listed here, but great game. When I want faster-paced play, I boot up PoE. When I want slower, Grim Dawn.

I play it pretty casually. I have a group of friends that picks a game at a time and plays for an hour or two a week. We normally shoot for diablo style crawlers and that's how we landed on this one. We have progressed very slowly but we've also enjoyed it a lot.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
I downloaded madden last night in my system, but fell asleep before it finished. And now I work 3-11 tonight. So I won’t be able to play til I get home

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
I'm sorry but the new God of War is nothing like the original trilogy to me, which was the pinnacle of hack and slash IMO. God of War 3 had insane level design like the opening fight on a living titan and the freaking suspended labyrinth. I really tried hard to give the new game a chance and saw some shimmers of hope, but it was too slowed down and repetitive for my liking. I wish Dark Souls was never invented so everyone would stop trying to ape its combat. I guess I'll have to cross my fingers that the next Darksiders is decent.

I've complained about this before and know I'm in a minority so please don't think I'm attacking you!
Not upset at all man, it’s subjective haha. It is very different from the original, but personally i like how they evolved it into a more mature and nuanced story. Plus the combat gets crazy in the second half. But to each their own lol. Definitely very different.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Not upset at all man, it’s subjective haha. It is very different from the original, but personally i like how they evolved it into a more mature and nuanced story. Plus the combat gets crazy in the second half. But to each their own lol. Definitely very different.
Just a blanket disclaimer. ;)

I missed just cleaving through creatures like a force of nature and not having to worry too much about getting my ass kicked by overpowered non-bosses while climbing around in all directions on moving surfaces trying to solve puzzles. The more over the top it got, the better! I'd probably like it a lot more if it wasn't a God of War game and was its own new IP. The hype train really made my disappointment hurt more. That seems to be happening to me more often than not with modern games though. I want to play all my old PS2 games again without having to rebuy them. :( At least I have every SNES and Genesis game ever on my computer to emulate.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I can't wait to try my first Monster Hunter at PC launch tomorrow. I suspect I'm going to try to treat it like Souls games and be awful at first. I've been warned not to go Greatsword.

Go for the giant hammer. It’s a blast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad