OT: Video Game Thread Part IV

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
Simple question: Xbox one or PS4? Primary use is sports games so always planned on getting one when the 2015 games came out.

I had a Playstation way back, went to an XBOX 360 for last generation and now I'm back to PS4 this generation. I prefer the controllers of PS4 to the Xbox controller. The sticks seem to be in the right and natural places and are easy to use.

The one thing I miss from XBOX is I think XBOX Live was easier to use and navigate and just resulted in a better connection when playing friends....now some of that might be because I'm new to Playstation again, but I get disconnected with friends playing The Show all the time on PS4....it rarely happened when I was playing NHL14 on XBOX.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I would say PS4. Just with the NHL 15 demo alone... poke checking and shot blocking as well as dekes using the XBOX One's controller is straight up annoying and difficult because the the bumper buttons are not trigger like. They are hard.

theking72

Confucius Ackbar
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
NJ
Hey HFBoard peoples, seeking advice. I play the EA NHL series and buy the disc every year. I mainly just play online using quick match. I've got the 360; should I stick with NHL 15 on Xbox 360 or is there any compelling reason I should upgrade the console and get the NHL 15 on Xbox one. I'm 38 and don't have the time to figure this out for myself! Any insight appreciated, gracias.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
Hey HFBoard peoples, seeking advice. I play the EA NHL series and buy the disc every year. I mainly just play online using quick match. I've got the 360; should I stick with NHL 15 on Xbox 360 or is there any compelling reason I should upgrade the console and get the NHL 15 on Xbox one. I'm 38 and don't have the time to figure this out for myself! Any insight appreciated, gracias.

If you considering buying nhl15 for ps4 I would rather stick to nhl15 for ps3. I know you don't use the popular gamemodes that ea has left out, but that don't matter. The gameplay is great at ps3 so wait til nhl16 comes to the ps4. But with all other games like madden, FIFA and so on I would get the ps4 as soon as posible.

Lous Special Sauce

Aug 16, 2013
Mario kart 8 for the wii U - single play is solid, multiplayer battle is garbage. They use race levels that are edited for the battle course rather then levels like block fort for N64

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

Go play the demo on someone's xbox one. The gameplay is great and is not the same engine used on the 360 version this year. If you don't care about new engine and graphics stick with your current system.

It was made just for the people like you. Quick match one on one games.

Then you just have to ask yourself if it's worth getting the new system or not.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
If you're just going to play quick match I see no reason to get it on the 360, the next gen version plays better.

jagrgodr

Sep 24, 2006
I just saw that a new king's bounty game was released.. by far my favorite RPG series to play on PC. I have played it a few hours and i'm loving it after the awkward start to the game.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
3wYsT6z.jpg

yeha ill pass

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
3wYsT6z.jpg

yeha ill pass

Apparently nhl 15 is a train wreck with 20 percent of the game actually being there from the previous gen.

Best part is not being able to sim between shifts in be a pro. Honestly how can you leave that out ? it essentially makes that mode unplayable

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I wonder if they're just holding some of that back until the full game is released. The no player editing or drafting would basically make Be A GM mode useless, and I would hope they wouldn't be that stupid.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I wonder if they're just holding some of that back until the full game is released. The no player editing or drafting would basically make Be A GM mode useless, and I would hope they wouldn't be that stupid.

The EA way is to take things out and re insert them as new features in othewr installments

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
After a while, you have to take a stand and not let them bend you over, year after year.

Play something else. Probably won't be hockey, but you'll get over it.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
Don't pick up Madden instead. It's online is even worse than NHL. Nothing but punks taking the highest rated scramble offenses and running custom trick playbooks during constant hurry up offenses to exploit the hell out of you. And it's got more bad connections than a 1980 phonebook.

As far from real football as you can get.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Madden's gameplay is VERY good this year.....

balanced offense and defense for once.

Online games in most sports games are worthless.

Pops Freshenmeyer

Jun 26, 2013

Apparently they're not holding anything back. The people with EA Access are playing the full game. EA has confirmed that the drafting will be fixed with a patch (no news on release date for the patch). Check out the thread about NHL 15 on the EA Sports sub-forum here.

It's unfortunate (and maddening) that a lot of modes and seemingly simple things are missing from the next gen NHL 15. That said, I thought the gameplay and visuals in the demo were outstanding. I'm still going to buy the game because I traded in my last gen system and need to play a hockey game. I know I'm part of the problem of giving EA money for an incomplete game. I'm just holding out hope that the patch at least fixes some of the Be-a-GM features.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
Offline yes. But I expect to be able to play an online game these days and they have done nothing to make the online experience anything close to an authentic football experience which is completely against everything else they put into the skills training, presentation, and AI.

The tutorials on the skills trainer is incredible. I last played Madden maybe 4 or 5 years ago and I was impressed how much technical detail they put into recognizing defensive coverage at the line and how to audible against those schemes.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Offline yes. But I expect to be able to play an online game these days and they have done nothing to make the online experience anything close to an authentic football experience which is completely against everything else they put into the skills training, presentation, and AI.

The tutorials on the skills trainer is incredible. I last played Madden maybe 4 or 5 years ago and I was impressed how much technical detail they put into recognizing defensive coverage at the line and how to audible against those schemes.

I play in an online franchise with guys that I've played with for 5 years now so its actually pretty awesome.

But I do agree, ranked online matches are dumb.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
After a while, you have to take a stand and not let them bend you over, year after year.

Play something else. Probably won't be hockey, but you'll get over it.

Thank goodness.

It's like the people that complain about a president and then you find out didnt vote. If you don't like how they are being lazy with the game then don't support a crappy product.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
If you play online, it's easy to counter what people are trying to do. I played 2 guys who kept trying to curl off the faceoff circles and wrist over the shoulder short side. You just need to be patient and collapse down instead of chasing. Another key tip is to get the puck deep since most people play ultra aggressive by sending multiple players to the puck carrier after the blue line is crossed. Your winger on the other side more often than not will be streaking free down the boards for retrieval.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad