OT: Video Game Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

apice3*

I've been playing EA sports games for 15+ years. NHL 13 is the worst game they've ever released.

I adored NHL12. It was the only 360 game I played for an entire year. They totally ruined it this year.

Body checking sends every player to the ground. If you poke check in the viscinity of a player, it knocks it away. Stick lifting is a penalty every time.

On the offensive side, goalies are impossible. You run a beautiful cycle into a tic-tac-toe one timer? Diving glove save. Shoot a wrist from the blue line? Rebound goal. It's pathetic.

Club is a joke too. You can't pass the puck because of the effectiveness of the pokecheck. Totally individualizes the game. Teamwork is punished. Selfishness is rewarded. Realistic plays are saves. Cheesy rebounds are goals.

They also claimed they revised the trade machine in GM mode. Someone in my connected league successfully completed a trade for Semin. Jamie McBain straight up in the first week of the season. Also managed to swap his 29th overall pick for Nathan MacKinnon.

I traded the game in one month after it was released. Surprised I made it that long. The deal breaker was when I trailed 6-0 in a game where I outshot the computer 35-6 through two periods. Turned the game off and returned it immediately. Abomination of a game. EA should be ashame of themselves.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
I've been playing EA sports games for 15+ years. NHL 13 is the worst game they've ever released.

I adored NHL12. It was the only 360 game I played for an entire year. They totally ruined it this year.

Body checking sends every player to the ground. If you poke check in the viscinity of a player, it knocks it away. Stick lifting is a penalty every time.

On the offensive side, goalies are impossible. You run a beautiful cycle into a tic-tac-toe one timer? Diving glove save. Shoot a wrist from the blue line? Rebound goal. It's pathetic.

Club is a joke too. You can't pass the puck because of the effectiveness of the pokecheck. Totally individualizes the game. Teamwork is punished. Selfishness is rewarded. Realistic plays are saves. Cheesy rebounds are goals.

They also claimed they revised the trade machine in GM mode. Someone in my connected league successfully completed a trade for Semin. Jamie McBain straight up in the first week of the season. Also managed to swap his 29th overall pick for Nathan MacKinnon.

I traded the game in one month after it was released. Surprised I made it that long. The deal breaker was when I trailed 6-0 in a game where I outshot the computer 35-6 through two periods. Turned the game off and returned it immediately. Abomination of a game. EA should be ashame of themselves.
12 was awful. One timers were guaranteed goals and the defense would never stop passes across

apice3*

One timers were easy to stop if you just stopped the pass from getting there which wasn't too difficult.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I've been trying to play the Dragonborn DLC for Skyrim that came out for the PS3 this week. I say "trying" because everytime I go near water the game completely freezes on me. I'm not sure if it's more Skyrim glitchiness or just my PS3 being a piece of ****.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Well, after a rather short search I found out how to fix the problem. I guess that's what happens when you pick up a game after nine months of not having played it.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Decided i might wanna play some Diablo 3 after a looong break. Reason for the break? The game sucks as as solo player, and all my mates hate it. Why would i wanna play it now? Im in the UK working, alone after work and have nothing to do.

I log in. "Due to suspicios activity your account has been locked." Ok, i understand, Im in a different country now, so its no biggie.

To unlock answer your secret Q or give first 6 digits of game ID in the package. Ok, game ID is in Finland.. wonder what my sec Q is. "What is your favourite sports team?" Ok, easy. New Jersey Devils - WRONG - hmm.. Devils - WRONG - hmmm wtf New Jersey - WRONG - ok maybe its my finnish club Ilves - WRONG - *****?? what could it be?

Ok, time to contact support. In order to contact blizzard support you have to login into our contact support services. "Your account has been locked. Follow this link to unlock it."

**** blizzard.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
That sucks, but I understand why Blizzard does that. You'd be amazed at how often WoW accounts are hijacked.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
That sucks, but I understand why Blizzard does that. You'd be amazed at how often WoW accounts are hijacked.

Yeah, I know.. Ill just get someone to give me the cd key. Still cant figure out why i dont get the secret Q right. I picked that Q because i would remember the answer :laugh:

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
NHL14 needs
-new announcers
-more interactive GM mode (manage arena, agents, coaches)
-better intros (example being camera view introduction of concourse or people coming into the arena
-team up with NBC to have their kind of introduction
-better ratings for players, its a joke how bad the Devils rating are

NHL is way too similar year after year. Is it that hard to change things up and make stuff better. I'm tired of the same stuff.

Plus I had Greene go from 85 to an 80 over one offseason. Same thing will Larsson, 84 to 87 to 85 over two years.

Last edited:

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
NHL14 needs
-new announcers
-more interactive GM mode (manage arena, agents, coaches)
-better intros (example being camera view introduction of concourse or people coming into the arena
-team up with NBC to have their kind of introduction
-better ratings for players, its a joke how bad the Devils rating are

NHL is way too similar year after year. Is it that hard to change things up and make stuff better. I'm tired of the same stuff.

Plus I had Greene go from 85 to an 80 over one offseason. Same thing will Larsson, 84 to 87 to 85 over two years.

Don't expect much changes in NHL 14 it will certainly be a off year as they work on the game engine for the next gen consoles for NHL 15. I know the announcers are under contract through NHL 15 so I don't expect new ones anytime soon.

They can't team up with NBC, EA sports as a whole as a deal with ESPN...granted the only game they use it in is NCAA football but they do have a exception with the Madden series.

The ratings are done by 3 independent scouts...they suck but that won't be changing.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
glad i didnt pickup my preordered aliens colonial marines. getting torn apart by every website, consumer. saved me 60 bucks.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
Last night I learned that the Devils won the cup in 2011. Gary Thorne said so when I was playing NHL 13. Confused the hell out of me.

And the attendance when you play at the Prudential Center in NHL 13 is still 19,040. Gotta love that standing room only crowd of an additional 1,500.

njdevilsftw

Nov 13, 2011
new jersey
here is a famous question. when playing franchise mode do you have one

salary cap [y/n]
injuries [y/n]
offsides [y/n]
penalties [y/n]
icing [y/n]

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
here is a famous question. when playing franchise mode do you have one

salary cap [y/n]
injuries [y/n]
offsides [y/n]
penalties [y/n]
icing [y/n]

Salary cap - Yes
Injuries - No, I would have them on but people get injured way too often, I do put them on for the playoffs though.
Offsides - Yes
Penalties - Yes
Icing - Yes

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
My team sucked so I totally gutted everyone above 30 basically. Funny thing is I come back with this team (at the time with lower ratings) and actually did better than the team with Kovalchuk, Kesler, Zajac, Iginla, etc.

As it is now:
Conacher (84) - MacKinnon (85) - Yakupov (87)
Parenteau (81) - Henrique (84) - Wheeler (83)
Ponikarovsky (80) - Connolly (80) - Glencross (80)
Pesonen (78) - Galchenyuk (76) - D'Agostini (79)

Urbom (83) - Larsson (87)
Volchenkov (81) - Niskanen (82)
Stoner (76) - Koekkoek (71)

Harding (82)

I should win with this team in the future especially since I still have Dumba, Grigorenko, and Faksa in Albany.

I also had to fill a whole on the blueline when Campbell retired after putting up 60 points. After unloading his $10M dollar contract I signed Niskanen, Volchenkov, Wheeler, Parenteau, and Conacher.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

2nd worst - but I agree and have been saying the same thing since this year's edition came out. They cut their own throats in the name of the Super Dynamic Ultra Un-realistic Physics engine. It's so damn chocked full of modeling every damn piece of equipment and body physics that it slows down the processing and makes the game not only mushy as hell feel-wise but it screws up and results in impossible moves like getting flipped 360 degrees and corkscrewing to hit the ice only to bounce right back up and then flip again in the other direction. They ruined it with attempted realism and then let the stupidist weak goals go in that aren't even shots or have the CPU defense try to clear the puck around the boards only to shoot in into your own net because they got stuck on the net.

NHL 95 was the worst imo. Remember the super blue ice? The tiny puck and horrendous "updated graphics"? The passing sucked butt and the music was unbearable. 93 and 94 rocked for different reasons and 95 was a noticeable step in the wrong direction.

yakitate304

Crunch Time
Oct 23, 2007
NY
Decided i might wanna play some Diablo 3 after a looong break. Reason for the break? The game sucks as as solo player, and all my mates hate it. Why would i wanna play it now? Im in the UK working, alone after work and have nothing to do.

I log in. "Due to suspicios activity your account has been locked." Ok, i understand, Im in a different country now, so its no biggie.

To unlock answer your secret Q or give first 6 digits of game ID in the package. Ok, game ID is in Finland.. wonder what my sec Q is. "What is your favourite sports team?" Ok, easy. New Jersey Devils - WRONG - hmm.. Devils - WRONG - hmmm wtf New Jersey - WRONG - ok maybe its my finnish club Ilves - WRONG - *****?? what could it be?

Ok, time to contact support. In order to contact blizzard support you have to login into our contact support services. "Your account has been locked. Follow this link to unlock it."

**** blizzard.

I wanted to love Diablo 3 but it just wasn't very good. If you're interested, there is a Diablo 2 mod called "Hell Unleashed" that I played for a while. It adds a ton of new content to the game, including a revamped crafting system allowing for much more detailed recipes and specific crafting via the Horadric Cube, new bosses, new areas, etc. The best thing is that the difficulty is ramped up in a major way. Even on Normal, there are Act 1 bosses who will give you fits, and a few who you would be insane to try and beat playing solo. I was insane and managed to beat an Act 3 boss solo, and it took me about 30 tries (the last of which took about 45 minutes) while stocking my inventory and Cube with as many potions as possible... And that was just a standard boss within the Act, not the one you meet at the end of the Act.

You can check it out here: http://www.arimyth.com/hell.htm - I highly suggest it.

As for NHL 13, I don't mind the game. I like the newer skating engine, although there are certainly some clunky issues that need to be fixed. Unfortunately, it seems unlikely that they'll fix it before NHL 14. The biggest issue is definitely goalies kicking out awful rebounds on 60 mph shots.

I don't mind the poke checking though. The reason why people think poke checking is so overpowered is because people don't play the game like a real hockey game. People generally try to skate the puck even if it means going directly at a defenseman, regardless of whether they're using Kovalchuk or Bernier. Especially online, 98% of the people have no idea how to create or use space when they have the puck. They have no willingness to slow down to a coast when they have the puck to open up some space and make defensemen decide between stepping up or falling back. Nobody is willing to dump the puck once in a while to make the defensemen stay honest and create space the next time they carry the puck. Almost nobody uses the saucer pass, or uses the boards to bank the puck. Hop into any EASHL game or even an Online Vs game and take note of how many times people use real hockey plays compared to how often they try to skate it up ice and score on a perfect rush.

BrodeurRULES

RIP Lokomotiv
Nov 5, 2006
Already, saving my refund for PS4 and getting Vita with Bday money thats been owed to me!!!!!!!!!!

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't really hate NHL 13, I just prefer NHL 12. It might just be because of all the hours I put into roster editing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad