OT: Video Game Talk (oh, also the Week before the All-Star Break Pre-Game Talk "archive")

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Anyone have a recommendation for a good last gen single player game for someone who is admittedly a below average player? I really just like getting immersed in the story and any kind of combat is secondary (and I suck at it unless there is an easy mode)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I just finished the Batman series. Took me forever to wrap up Arkham Knight because I hated the driving mechanics. Been putting off the last two or so hours since before Thanksgiving.

I'm torn between starting the Dragons Age (got the series bundle on steam) or Cyberpunk. Any suggestions? I will eventually get to both, but is one more "must play" than the other?

Biggest problem with the steam sale is how quickly you can accumulate titles. I'm finally catching up on the backlog and these are the only two series I've left untouched. Until the next sale.
Which Dragon Age? Inquisition? If so go for Cyberpunk. Way, way better game with the updates.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good last gen single player game for someone who is admittedly a below average player? I really just like getting immersed in the story and any kind of combat is secondary (and I suck at it unless there is an easy mode)
The Witcher 3 on easy is just button mashing and probably the best overall story in a game to date.

Reactions: GeoRox89

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I'm biased, but Metro is the most immersive series I've ever played. I'd say go with that. It's meant to be played on Ranger Hardcore difficulty though haha

Speaking of Metro, I will have to invest in a VR headset again...

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I'm pretty similar where I often play on easy mode, I just can't be bothered with 'challenges' anymore. Games i've played in the past few years that have good/great story and easy combat/puzzles.

Witcher 3
Uncharted Series
RDR2
Watch Dogs 1/2/3
Sleeping Dogs

Reactions: Avs91 and GeoRox89

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
I'm pretty similar where I often play on easy mode, I just can't be bothered with 'challenges' anymore. Games i've played in the past few years that have good/great story and easy combat/puzzles.

Witcher 3
Uncharted Series
RDR2
Watch Dogs 1/2/3
Sleeping Dogs
I probably oversold how bad I am (unless comparing to a serious/hardcore gamer). What you’ve written is more akin to how I feel. I just want to unwind and have fun not get frustrated at a challenge

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Which Dragon Age? Inquisition? If so go for Cyberpunk. Way, way better game with the updates.

The Witcher 3 on easy is just button mashing and probably the best overall story in a game to date.
It's the whole series for Dragon Age. Origins, Inquisition all the DLCs, etc. It was a big steam bundle for like $10 bucks last summer. Think I was on a break from gaming back when these all game out.

Think I'm going to fire up Cyberpunk tonight though.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
I probably oversold how bad I am (unless comparing to a serious/hardcore gamer). What you’ve written is more akin to how I feel. I just want to unwind and have fun not get frustrated at a challenge
If you're looking for something relaxing, play Journey. The first time I played that game it was basically a religious experience.

Reactions: MacKaRant

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Are there any limitations regarding genre? Does it have to have action elements? And do you mean PS4/XB1 generation?

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Disco Elysium is a very story driven game with basically zero combat.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It's the whole series for Dragon Age. Origins, Inquisition all the DLCs, etc. It was a big steam bundle for like $10 bucks last summer. Think I was on a break from gaming back when these all game out.

Think I'm going to fire up Cyberpunk tonight though.
Oh that’s a huge commitment. The first two are fantastic games… but you’re talking hundreds and hundreds of hours to fully explore that series.

With the updates, Cyberpunk is amazing now. You’ll enjoy

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Disco Elysium is a very story driven game with basically zero combat.
This was exactly the game I had in mind when I asked "are there any genre restrictions?" Brilliant, grounded story, no combat at all, interesting characters.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
No, no and yes
Cool, here are some ideas outside of the usual big-budget, open-world, action-oriented games:

Disco Elysium, as mentioned above

The Talos Principle, puzzle game with a deep philosophical story

The Wolf Among Us, interactive narrative with sparkling writing

The Forgotten City, a sort of time loop detective game

Persona 5 Royal, a JRPG that is way too long but it's full of style

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
If you're looking for something relaxing, play Journey. The first time I played that game it was basically a religious experience.
Hated it. Always puzzled when a game with barely any gameplay mechanics behind it gets showered with praise. You walk on sand, do a little bit of jumping around with the occasional simplistic puzzles along the way.

atreyuavenged

Nov 28, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
If your a jrpg fan, your getting ass blasted by good releases lately. Been playing Tower of Fantasy (eww gacha), Star Ocean 2 R and Gran Blue Relink. Enjoying them all.

Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth is out but I waited on that. Person 3 R is out I believe as well. FF7 Rebirth at the end of the month. Gonna be another doozy of a year for jrpg gamers like myself.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Then you missed the point of the game entirely
Don´t think I did. Some just want more substance and challenge from their games while others do enjoy very basic gameplay with zero difficulty.

Comes as no surprise that the walking simulator genre is among the absolute worst gaming has to offer imo. So dull and boring. Puts me to sleep.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Don´t think I did. Some just want more substance and challenge from their games while others do enjoy very basic gameplay with zero difficulty.

Comes as no surprise that the walking simulator genre is among the absolute worst gaming has to offer imo. So dull and boring. Puts me to sleep.
If you think that's all Journey is you definitely did miss the point. It's fine if you don't like it, but saying there's little substance is just flat out wrong.

Reactions: The Merchant

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
If you think that's all Journey is you definitely did miss the point. It's fine if you don't like it, but saying there's little substance is just flat out wrong.
Gameplay wise it has very little going for it. It´s the visuals and atmosphere that appeals to people. To me gameplay is king pretty much every single time.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
If your a jrpg fan, your getting ass blasted by good releases lately. Been playing Tower of Fantasy (eww gacha), Star Ocean 2 R and Gran Blue Relink. Enjoying them all.

Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth is out but I waited on that. Person 3 R is out I believe as well. FF7 Rebirth at the end of the month. Gonna be another doozy of a year for jrpg gamers like myself.
Thanks for this! Does FF7 rebirth have the option of turn based combat? I’m dying to find a quality turn based jrpg.

I played the original and loved it of course but want to have that “next gen” jrpg experience if anyone has any other suggestions.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I'm biased, but Metro is the most immersive series I've ever played. I'd say go with that. It's meant to be played on Ranger Hardcore difficulty though haha

Speaking of Metro, I will have to invest in a VR headset again...
VR2 is pretty sweet, but has it has some real flaws.

The selection of games is way too limited especially with no backwards compatibility. RE4 remake kicks serious ass on VR though, better than the normal version. Even the few good games are for the most part short experiences not something you can really sink your teeth in.

Also, having a cable attached to the headset isn't ideal and there is literally nothing else to do with the hardware besides playing the games. No apps, adult entertainment or any of that fun stuff.

Unlikely that any of this will change this generation. Sony hasn´t gone all-in on the hardware and for a reason, it´s extremely niche and won´t sell much.

Reactions: MacKaRant

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Looks like the days of Xbox console exclusives won´t be a thing for long. Release nearly everything on PS5 and Switch (if the hardware allows it). All in on gamepass, not much incentive to even get the console.

Could be a disastrous decision for the brand, time will tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad