Proposal: Victor Rask for Another Underperforming Forward

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Aren't you a bit frightened by his start to the year? He's at Johanssonian levels, right now. Maybe wait and see if he can actually play? Like I said, as bad as Nino has been relative to expectations, he's a rock star compared to Rask. Rask is a bottom six C...calling him a middle six C is inaccurate. If he was a 2C, or even a good 3C, CAR would be keeping him.
He was a second center when he signed his contract. 49 pts as a 22 year old. He’s stalled which is what the op has said. He’s absolutely a middle six center, is a very good 3 on a contender and can fill in as a number two if you’ve got talent around him. He’s solid defensively.

Canes fans being ok with moving him are coming from the idea that we were maybe moving him as part of the crazy summer in the first place, and that we currently have Wallmark as a number three behind Aho and Staal if Aho plays center. Rask is way better offensively than Wallmark, but we such so bad at offense the op just wants a change of scenery change to shake things up. No one wants to give up Rask but the Canes forward group could use some changing.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's weird to me how shocked you are about the effect that playing with great players can have on production. Do you honestly think that Lindholm was some hidden PPG player that would have flourished in any other situation except Carolina? He landed in a prime spot on a very talented line with 2 very good players that have seemed to find chemistry quickly, and his production has jumped.

You're taking things way too literal. You're smarter than that.

I'm shocked that you're attributing every bit of increase in production to Gaudreau. Lindholm was always more talented than the 45 points he would score on Carolina, and although NO, he wouldn't have become a point per game player just anywhere else, his production was bound to increase at least into the 50s. Playing top-6 RW for Minnesota I was comfortable believing that he could have even scored 60+, which is why I wanted to acquire him last summer.

I know talented players playing with other talented players produce more, that's why I'm in this thread inquiring about Rask. He's in a similar (bad) situation as Lindholm was, and I think his scoring could increase into the 50s if given a chance somewhere else (like Minnesota).

So when I compare Rask to Lindholm to illustrate all the above points, it's pretty disingenuous to say "Gaudreau happened" when explaining Lindholm's surge in production.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
It's weird to me how shocked you are about the effect that playing with great players can have on production. Do you honestly think that Lindholm was some hidden PPG player that would have flourished in any other situation except Carolina? He landed in a prime spot on a very talented line with 2 very good players that have seemed to find chemistry quickly, and his production has jumped.

You're taking things way too literal. You're smarter than that.

To your point, the same thing happened in Carolina to an extent. He had one stetch in his time with the Canes that he played with the right type of high skill linemate in Aho (E. Staal was going through his malaise at the beginning of Lindholm's run) and the result was 60+ point caliber hockey in the 2nd half of 16-17. He got bumped down to the 2nd line with the one-man show that was Jeff Skinner the following year and his production returned to normal. Linemates do matter for complimentary players.

Rask is in the same boat. His production was buoyed by Skinner. He's been 30-35 point caliber away from him. To get to 55, he'll need to play with some really good linemates. I'm not sure Minnesota has those. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way. I'm just skeptical Rask has that type of upside.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm shocked that you're attributing every bit of increase in production to Gaudreau. Lindholm was always more talented than the 45 points he would score on Carolina, and although NO, he wouldn't have become a point per game player just anywhere else, his production was bound to increase at least into the 50s. Playing top-6 RW for Minnesota I was comfortable believing that he could have even scored 60+, which is why I wanted to acquire him last summer.

I know talented players playing with other talented players produce more, that's why I'm in this thread inquiring about Rask. He's in a similar (bad) situation as Lindholm was, and I think his scoring could increase into the 50s if given a chance somewhere else (like Minnesota).

So when I compare Rask to Lindholm to illustrate all the above points, it's pretty disingenuous to say "Gaudreau happened" when explaining Lindholm's surge in production.

Hence my "taking things too literal" statement.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Hence my "taking things too literal" statement.

Again, it was a disingenuous thing to say in the first place. I know his situation now. I have a friend that's a Flames fan that I talk to almost daily, and I tell him every day how jealous I am that they got Lindholm. I am perfectly aware that good players playing with good players increases everyone's production.

"Look at what happened to Lindholm" wasn't a question. It didn't need a response, yet you chose to give it one anyway.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Again, it was a disingenuous thing to say in the first place. I know his situation now. I have a friend that's a Flames fan that I talk to almost daily, and I tell him every day how jealous I am that they got Lindholm. I am perfectly aware that good players playing with good players increases everyone's production.

"Look at what happened to Lindholm" wasn't a question. It didn't need a response, yet you chose to give it one anyway.

America.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Circling back to this thread and it's pretty interesting. I was expecting the likes of Backes and Eriksson. I'd be comfortable to excited with the majority of offers here if they happened in real life.

I suppose it's a testament to how starved the league is for centers.

He's relatively young, I think people are confident that he will bounce back.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Miles wood has been a joke of a hockey player for NJ... what would canes fans think about that?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Including Carolina.

We're chock full of meh wingers, unless it's a C for C swap, this makes no sense.

Carolina is starving for a quality center. If one is acquired, Rask will have to go; spending $10 mil on Staal and Rask to play in the Bottom 6 is not economical. If there isn't one to be found, I still don't think Rask with his current performance is much of loss. Go with Aho - Necas - Staal - Wallmark. Wallmark looks better than Rask has over the past 2 years and should more be a more efficient solution in the Bottom 6 long-term.

An upgrade at the wing position is needed too. Jordan Martinook is still playing Top 9 minutes. Brock McGinn doesn't even look like a meh winger right now. Justin Williams is at the end of the line.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Miles wood has been a joke of a hockey player for NJ... what would canes fans think about that?
A great sales pitch! :laugh:

Last season 19 goals, 13 assists. This season 2 goals, 4 assists. He has speed, and sometimes he is quite reckless. Last season he had fire in his game, this season he has been just lame.

oilcountry17

Aug 27, 2007
edmonton
Would something like Lucic Pulji or Yamm and 2 nd this year for Rask be close, Carolina has some cap space.

Or Lucic Spooner and a 2nd this year and next for Rask and Darling

Last edited:

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
would Carolina be interested in a bigger trade around Victor Rask & Jeff Carter?
and are the Hurricanes content w/ their D?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad